PulakK

Halo (may have SPOILERS)

19 posts in this topic

A sci-fi series wherein humans battle aliens but then shit gets really, really complicated. I'm not the biggest Halo fan (mainly because I don't have an Xbox) but since we're all fans of space opera here, the fandom can knock itself out on this thread.

11 minutes ago, PulakK said:

A sci-fi series wherein humans battle aliens but then shit gets really, really complicated. I'm not the biggest Halo fan (mainly because I don't have an Xbox) but since we're all fans of space opera here, the fandom can knock itself out on this thread.

It's okay if you don't have an Xbox, oddly enough I know a few people who got into the series either through the Books or the Movies.....or the games viewed as Movies ;)

2 minutes ago, JakatoX said:

It's okay if you don't have an Xbox, oddly enough I know a few people who got into the series either through the Books or the Movies.....or the games viewed as Movies ;)

I have actually read The Fall of Reach and watched some playthroughs and anime shorts, but I'll let the more die-hard fans dominate the discussion :) 

I first played the original way back in the day at my cousins house all the time (gotta love the co-op... and being smashed in the head by your partner on respawn...).

Later I had a copy of the original on my school netbook where we spent many wasted school hours in multiplayer. But other than that I only had the occasional play of the other games but I did watch Forward unto dawn though.

As for me I've been around Halo since the beginning from 1-4, majority of the Book & Animation Spin-Offs, and the different Live Series.

The only things I haven't really caught up on are Halo 2 Anniversary and Halo 5 since I don't have an XboxOne.....And I won't for a long time since I backed this Kickstarter lol

My brother and I have been playing Halo since the original, and I was extremely disappointed in 343 for removing local, split-screen co op from Halo 5. Even if that was in I was pretty unsure on buying it from the stuff I've heard about the game (barely any levels where you play as the chief, not much setting up of the ending, and the ending itself).

5 hours ago, derek58 said:

My brother and I have been playing Halo since the original, and I was extremely disappointed in 343 for removing local, split-screen co op from Halo 5. Even if that was in I was pretty unsure on buying it from the stuff I've heard about the game (barely any levels where you play as the chief, not much setting up of the ending, and the ending itself).

I've heard similar criticisms about the main campaign, though I've also heard that aside from the removal of split-screen, Halo 5 probably has the best multiplayer yet.

10 hours ago, derek58 said:

Yeah Halo 5s campaign is horrible and ruins all the past games including Halo 4s ending.

1 person likes this

@kraidy

Ouch! I heard about the Campaign Story balance but now it really sounds like an unbalance O.o

56 minutes ago, JakatoX said:

@kraidy

Ouch! I heard about the Campaign Story balance but now it really sounds like an unbalance O.o

Okay, just so you know, now that I've spoiled myself on the Campaign, I completely disagree with @kraidy's opinion. I also disagree with what he said on the Mass Effect thread. We're disagreeing on quite a few things, it seems.

@PulakK

Ah okay, it's good to hear different opinions on it. I guess I'll just have to see it for myself to see how I feel about it.

Unlike MGSV which majority of the people who played it had a similar opinion I've been seeing debates on whether Halo 5 handled the story the best way they could have.

@JakatoX It's got mainly to do with an important plot twist and the cliffhanger ending (the most notable one since Halo 2). Shit like that tends to be divisive.

And as for MGSV, I've seen plenty of diversity as far as opinions on story quality go. And for some people, the story seems to be the most important thing.

I'm just peeved that they still refuse to port any to the PC since Halo 2 ^^;

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Ranmaru said:

I'm just peeved that they still refuse to port any to the PC since Halo 2 ^^;

Oh yeah what's up with that? Microsoft always says there's a possibility for the games to be on PC but they never port any to PC....It's kinda weird.

Just now, JakatoX said:

Oh yeah what's up with that? Microsoft always says there's a possibility for the games to be on PC but they never port any to PC....It's kinda weird.

Best explanation I came up with was to encourage [force] players to get the Xbox 1 if they want to play it. I still think they're shooting themselves in the foot with a rocket launcher on that one though.

Though that said the Master Chief collection was released somewhat recently, and it took a few years for GTA V to come to PC... (if we try for optimism here).

To be fair though, porting isn't exactly a simple or cheap thing to do, but I'd still expect them to turn a profit if they did it.

I like the series, the gameplay has always been solid and sturdy. I like what they've done withh 5 but the story is pretty shitty and barely related to the promotional stuff we've seen so far. I can't say I like what 343 has done with the story. They're being too lazy with it and putting it on the sidelines and focusing almost solely on multiplayer it seems.

Edited by OtakUub

1 person likes this

Reach is the last Halo game I really cared at all for. Halo 3 was the end of the real story, and Reach got a write-off because it was a prequel for a storyline that already existed, so by the time it was handed over to 343 they should have just let it end...

Really loved that franchise from the start, but 4 was just endless corridors with a stereotypical and yet completely nonsensical storyline... it's basically been reduced to a sci-fi Call of Duty with aliens anymore -_-

2 people like this

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2015‎ ‎1‎:‎55‎:‎29‎, HYuy said:

Reach is the last Halo game I really cared at all for. Halo 3 was the end of the real story, and Reach got a write-off because it was a prequel for a storyline that already existed, so by the time it was handed over to 343 they should have just let it end...

Really loved that franchise from the start, but 4 was just endless corridors with a stereotypical and yet completely nonsensical storyline... it's basically been reduced to a sci-fi Call of Duty with aliens anymore -_-

and on top of that it became a really short game that can beat in 4 hours if you play it on normal just like halo 5.

6 hours ago, Otoshigami said:

and on top of that it became a really short game that can beat in 4 hours if you play it on normal just like halo 5.

To be fair, all the halo games can be beaten really quickly, in under 3 hours. I found Halo 5 to be longer than any of the other games, though lacking anything too substantial story wise.