Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
d93ch

Why does Unit 00 look like Sumika?

5 posts in this topic

Why does Unit 00 look like Sumika?

How did they get her body or know she look like that in Alternative?

Pray tell, I'm very curious!

At the very least you can assume they had basic data from school records and various medical information systems.  Additionally, they don't talk about it much but it would be possible to extrapolate some of the missing information from genetic material.

Nevertheless, it would be impossible to exactly replicate her body.  Even twins, who are literally clones, are not actually identical - their fingerprints are different (something we've known for a very long time) so you can also assume that neural pathways would develop differently as well.

I'd have to guess that Yuuko's assumption would be that Sumika's psyche would accept a body that was "close enough" because the mind would shy away from the alternative instinctively.

From the author's side, I think they're asking us for some suspension of disbelief here.  So just do some technological handwaving and get back to enjoying the story.

1 person likes this

In addition to rlranft's explanation, I propose two additional hypotheses:

1) Cloning of Sumika / extrapolation of Sumika's appearance from her DNA.

2) Visualization of Sumika's memories through Kasumi. Sumika certainly saw herself in a mirror before, thus Kasumi can learn how she looked.

1 person likes this

Well, I covered the DNA angle and why it wouldn't produce a perfect match - different physical stimuli will result in the same DNA producing different results, as can be seen in identical twins.  By adulthood, identical twins (which are technically clones, sharing identical DNA) can look startlingly different.  My cousins are easily distinguishable from one another at age 46, though they were identical in my book at age 8.

I would say that your item 2 is a fantastic thought, though.  Kasumi could take the image from Sumika and pass it directly to Yuuko.

1 person likes this

Late reply, but Kasumi probably couldn't get a clear read from Sumika, her memories were all a mess and she was focused on Takeru and her hatred of the Beta. She may have been tasked with getting that information as well as communicating with her, but remember that in Unlimited Yuuko said that Takeru could help her with her work, that is because she realised he had stable memories and Kasumi could get a better read from him, it's highly likely she had Kasumi go do a read on him while he was being detained.
In Alternative she looks at his files and decides there may be something to what he has to say and that he may be useful, but doesn't know what her other self was up to when it came to using Takeru, but Kasumi hadn't spoken with her or taken a reading of him at this point, so it's only later on after Kasumi goes and speaks to her that she decides to trust Takeru and seems oddly happy about it all. I think it might be worth noting that unlike in Unlimited he hadn't been thinking about Sumika or his world until he decided to visit Kasumi.

But Kasumi in both is able to see Sumika from his memories and get a better picture of her from him, also she does say near the end of Alternative that a lot of the memories she picked up of Sumika she got from Takeru and she got happy memories from him of his time with Sumika, so his definitely were the clearest memories.