MaxelFX

Cost Breakdown Update

32 posts in this topic

I just wanted to ask if we'll get any cost breakdown update, old one is probably concerns basic goal 250,000$ and it looks like this:

err2yql.png

How will it look for 1,200,000$ or 1,300,000$ ? Obviously License costs remains unchanged right? So it'll be way less % now or am I wrong with this one?(37,500$ for licensing), kickstarter fee will remain the same. What about the rest? Would be really nice to know, thanks for answer.

Licensing and localization costs may have to increase a bit due to the production requirements of the physical Codex, I think. Just a guess though.

Edit: And I really, really wish they would be able to license the Japanese text of the games such that we can get dual-language releases.

Edited by The Green String

2 hours ago, The Green String said:

Licensing and localization costs may have to increase a bit due to the production requirements of the physical Codex, I think. Just a guess though.

Edit: And I really, really wish they would be able to license the Japanese text of the games such that we can get dual-language releases.

Yeah, they're still working on that. Although I think all the money pledged would be a help...

Plus I'm sure agesoft are expecting royalties back from each copy sold.

I think that the extra money is for incase there were some Hiccups along the way. sometime extra money helps.

We'll look into getting an updated pie chart put together once we've confirmed more of the expenses. Definitely some increased production costs related to the stretch goals (figmas, codex etc.) as well as increased translation/localization costs (Photons and Codex).

3 people like this

Hi everyone! 

Here are a few information we can share for now as we may take a while before we could show the updated cost breakdown:

Basically, Marimo-sensei's pie chart only works for the base goal ($250,000), and then every stretch goal has their own individual breakdowns which are "good enough".

Every time we hit the stretch goals we're back to having more localization/development/license expenses (depending on the stretch goal's scope), and then some stretch goals increases the rewards' production values significantly (for example, adding figma and Codex, and improving the exclusive artbook to existing tiers), making the fulfillment most probably around ---

Spoiler

30%~40% by now

idontknowwherethiscamefrom.gif.4c08291fc

We also have to factor in the tiers that has high minimum production costs (the BETA hoodie and Takemikazuchi for example).

Aside from Kickstarter + BackerKit + bank transfer + shipping costs, there are also quite a few errored pledges at the moment and the majority of our comrades belong to higher tiers. We hope to have all issues sorted out soon!

CS6SnrQWoAEmsFP.thumb.jpg.e39921c84b6d7e

Thank you for reading, and hopefully this helps in understanding how our cost breakdown works so far! :)

12 people like this

Ugh, I really hope those pledges get sorted out.  It would suck for the campaign to lose those pledge dollars, but also be terrible for the people wanting to support along with getting some goodies.

13 hours ago, The Muv-Luv Team said:

Every time we hit the stretch goals we're back to having more localization/development/license expenses (depending on the stretch goal's scope), and then some stretch goals increases the rewards' production values significantly (for example, adding figma and Codex, and improving the exclusive artbook to existing tiers), making the fulfillment most probably around ---

Reveal hidden contents

30%~40% by now

Hmmm. Maybe keep that extra $300K actually.

18 hours ago, The Muv-Luv Team said:

Hi everyone! 

Here are a few information we can share for now as we may take a while before we could show the updated cost breakdown:

Basically, Marimo-sensei's pie chart only works for the base goal ($250,000), and then every stretch goal has their own individual breakdowns which are "good enough".

Reveal hidden contents

30%~40% by now

We also have to factor in the tiers that has high minimum production costs (the BETA hoodie and Takemikazuchi for example).

Aside from Kickstarter + BackerKit + bank transfer + shipping costs, there are also quite a few errored pledges at the moment and the majority of our comrades belong to higher tiers. We hope to have all issues sorted out soon!

CS6SnrQWoAEmsFP.thumb.jpg.e39921c84b6d7e

Thank you for reading, and hopefully this helps in understanding how our cost breakdown works so far! :)

Thanks for answer, also I have another question, don't want to create another topic, but there's a lot of bashing on Ixrec translation not only from normal people but professional VN translators themselves, they even point out how simple tl mistakes he made, so I hope you'll hire someone really competent with KS money to TLC whole Muv-Luv Trilogy and fix some of Ixrec errors.If you want I can give some opinions about his translation/examples of his errors. I'm not saying his bad (played Comyu and Rewrite translated by him) but he's not good either. Unless he like fast-TLed those titles, because it's a "fan-translation" and he can do better, and he improved by years...

Also, any news on who will translate CODEX?

Edited by MaxelFX

8 hours ago, MaxelFX said:

Thanks for answer, also I have another question, don't want to create another topic, but there's a lot of bashing on Ixrec translation not only from normal people but professional VN translators themselves, they even point out how simple tl mistakes he made, so I hope you'll hire someone really competent with KS money to TLC whole Muv-Luv Trilogy and fix some of Ixrec errors.If you want I can give some opinions about his translation/examples of his errors. I'm not saying his bad (played Comyu and Rewrite translated by him) but he's not good either. Unless he like fast-TLed those titles, because it's a "fan-translation" and he can do better, and he improved by years...

Isn't his ML TL a somewhat old, done in his beginnings of fan-TL?

Also, yeah, I believe he Fast-TL most of his works.. no?

Seems relevant to cost breakdown. what about total raised with PayPal?

So, it's been over a month since the end of campaign. Will we have any updates on Cost breakdown/who will translate what etc. before end of the year?

On 11/5/2015 at 1:42 PM, otamegane18 said:

Isn't his ML TL a somewhat old, done in his beginnings of fan-TL?

Also, yeah, I believe he Fast-TL most of his works.. no?

He's not that bad as far as VN translators go (considering that some are extremely awful and slow while Ixrec ends up being okay but fast), but his speed leads to numerous mistakes. In addition, many of the things he tackles are difficult to translate in the first place. This doesn't apply to Muv-Luv that much, but it applies to Cross Channel, the WAB series, and maybe Rewrite depending on who you ask. 

I haven't been following up on the announcements but did the devs talk about what they're gonna do with the surplus kickstarter funds? I was under the impression we'd be updated last year. I'd like to see the updated cost breakdown as well since it's already February 2016.

8 hours ago, nexcal said:

I haven't been following up on the announcements but did the devs talk about what they're gonna do with the surplus kickstarter funds? I was under the impression we'd be updated last year. I'd like to see the updated cost breakdown as well since it's already February 2016.

You've got perfect timing

*cough*cough*

On the cost breakdown, I wouldn't expect it. Estimates pre-KS are fine, but once you've got the real numbers even saying percentage is dangerous. All license costs are always confidential by contract, and even some other slightly silly things are covered. Some data bits might be fine, but I think they're going to be cautious.

Here I was hoping for KimiNozo official release or Schwarzesmarken full version, but we got demo instead, which I probably won't touch... And the demo is instead of a stretch-goal extra ontent,hmm... We also get side-story... I don't like the idea of giving people a slice of Schwarzesmarken and a slice of Total Eclipse. Don't give us a slices, give us a whole cake(s) please...? Hunger will remain otherwise. I would drop one of those and focus on bringing the full game. Be it Schwarze/KimiNozo/Total Eclipse. I hope the "full product" won't turn out to be Chronicles. . . Anyway 100~~k should be enough for any of those three. If it'll be 50 I think Schwarze should be avalable, because of the stretch changed into bringing the demon, combined with 50k+? No problem, it's not that long.

I guess I was a bit too overhyped for the upcoming announcements, my bad. And we'll get the other titles in 1-3 years from now probably anyway...

EDIT

and we may actually setup a survey to let everyone choose what we should prioritize first

I think from these words we can expect something small... Meh. Because why would you poll 30-50h VN and a sidestory? I hope you guys remember about Photons.

Edited by MaxelFX

1 hour ago, MaxelFX said:

EDIT

I think from these words we can expect something small... Meh. Because why would you poll 30-50h VN and a sidestory? I hope you guys remember about Photons.

We did our best to push a full game release (We were at it for 2 months)! And yet we're still in the process of figuring out the costs, because as long as BackerKit is open, we cannot really finalize the numbers we should mention to the manufacturers and shipping service. With 1000+ backers not answering the surveys (due to Dakimakura designs not being out yet), it's impossible to get an accurate quote on the potential costs.

We did get some data for min/maximum numbers, and that's where the 50k-150k value came from. That's why we could only announce Teito Moyu and Schwarzesmarken Demo for now just to be safe -- it doesn't really mean we'll stop there.

We'll be pushing it again this week and hopefully the survey will be approved.

Thanks for fast reply and sorry for the salt, that's just because my expectations were very, very high. I felt a bit trolled when I saw Schwarzesmarken announcement, and then the "Demo" after. Honestly it might be the best idea to release Schwarze even before KimiNozo/Total Eclipse/Chronciles etc. just because anime is airing. I'm not watching it, so I can enjoy VN version in full.

It would be really nice idea to set up poll with couple of top age titles which you guys could afford, and let the people and(or) backers choose what they would want the most. I don't remember any company doing thing like this, but it certainly would be nice to know what people want, and possibly give it to them, while also gaining from it.

I assume that Schwarzesmarken demo will be added as "Special 'unlockable' content" instead of new content? And Additional OSTs and BGMs + voice acting improvements will be included in March version of Muv-Luv?

ZeJxpM8.png

Anyway, can't wait for the survey! I'll definitely vote for Schwarzesmarken or KimiNozo if they'll be available. I thought there will be a bit more oney left, because the goal was 250k, and you exceeded that amount by over 1 million usd. And yeah I know that includes shipping costs/production costs/translation costs/editing costs/license costs and more things. Hope your partnership with age will be fruitful, fair and will last long.

EDIT

Oh forgot to ask. Any ETA on Muv-Luv 18+ Content Patch? Will it be available in March?

Edited by MaxelFX

1 hour ago, The Muv-Luv Team said:

it doesn't really mean we'll stop there.

Hell no you won't. Do another KS if you need to, I'm ready to get to 1 Million dollars again :D

1 hour ago, Slump said:

Hell no you won't. Do another KS if you need to, I'm ready to get to 1 Million dollars again :D

Please spare my wallet long enough so I'm in a position to contribute ! ^^'''''''''

1 person likes this

@The Muv-Luv Team I'm confused as to whether the "$400,000 Bonus Content" is referring to the $400k stretch goal, as @MaxelFX suggests, or the surplus money above $900k (since I would expect the final numbers to be over $1.3M when including paypay and backerkit). I feel like its the latter based on how the update's written but a confirmation would be nice.

It would've been nice to get one of the full stories announced, but @MaxelFX's expectations are pretty unreasonable, having a whole nother game done from the leftover funds of the KS. I think this is the best we could've gotten, as we haven't even gotten the 1st game released yet. This opens up alot of possibilities for future content, but this should all come after the original trilogy release.

1 hour ago, koZdogZ said:

@The Muv-Luv Team I'm confused as to whether the "$400,000 Bonus Content" is referring to the $400k stretch goal, as @MaxelFX suggests, or the surplus money above $900k (since I would expect the final numbers to be over $1.3M when including paypay and backerkit). I feel like its the latter based on how the update's written but a confirmation would be nice.

It's the surplus money, yes.

1 hour ago, koZdogZ said:

Oops, totally forgot about paypal pledges, I think you might be right with final number. It looks like Schwarzesmarken demo will be replacement for special unlockable content. I guess we have to wait for response.

1 hour ago, Discalibur said:

It would've been nice to get one of the full stories announced, but @MaxelFX's expectations are pretty unreasonable, having a whole nother game done from the leftover funds of the KS. I think this is the best we could've gotten, as we haven't even gotten the 1st game released yet. This opens up alot of possibilities for future content, but this should all come after the original trilogy release.

Why not? Everyone wants more games. I'm just saying that they could invest most of the leftover money into localizing another title, they could also keep the money to themselves and then create Schwarzesmarken/KimiNozo kickstarters. People pledged the money wanting Muv-Luv, and it's a whole lot people, most succesful VN kickstarter ever, I think MLA release on Steam will be a huge success, because why not? It looks like ML already have quite a fanbase. They'll do what they want, I just think it's better to invest the money earned from a VN into another VN, and give people mroe joy that way, and also earn more money. What's unreasonable here?