natsucule

Is Muv-Luv Your Favorite Visual Novel?

62 posts in this topic

As the project is reaching it's final hours, I was curious to hear your opinions on whether Muv Luv is your favorite VN...ever?

As much as I love Muv Luv, I have to say no. It's #5 to me.

1-fate/stay night

2-Steins;Gate

3-Tsukihime

4-Grisaia.

5-Muv-Luv

What about you guys?

Hands down Number 1.

Followed by Steins;Gate and nasty Nitroplus stuff.

12 minutes ago, natsucule said:

As the project is reaching it's final hours, I was curious to hear your opinions on whether Muv Luv is your favorite VN...ever?

1-fate/stay night

2-Steins;Gate

3-Tsukihime

4-Grisaia.

5-Muv-Luv

What about you guys?

You best keep your blasphemy to a minimum, or my 40k instincts will kick in.

Kidding, in all seriousness, I can respect such an opinion, though, if I were ranking ML anything less than number one on your list, it'd be above Grisaia and Stein's Gate most definitely!

I'm sure my joke tells all, but I rank ML in the one spot myself.

Similar to Uskon, but Steins;Gate reigns over Muv-Luv for me.

It is not but it is a very close second. Fate/stay night remains my favorite.

My favorite is definitely Muv Luv series, followed by Steins;Gate and Fate series. First two is because I really immerse myself in the story while Fate is mainly because it's one of my earliest VN/anime.

I haven't played many VNs but Muv Luv is my favorite by far.

Muv Luv is king to me, however, as I have not played many VNs, Muv-Luv being my #1 shouldn't hold much weight...except the level of dedication and commitment i've put into it is second to none. 

I haven't really played Muv-Luv so I can't exactly rank it as my favorite VN, thought it's definitely my #1 most anticipated VN series.

Out of the VNs I have played/watched, I'll give you a top 5.

#1 Katawa Shoujo. It's a huge, wordy VN (the kind I like), with multiple routes, all of which that I've played so far are excellent. (I've done Emi, Lilly and Shizune).

#2 Saya no uta. Haven't played this one personally, but Let's Dub Project's rendition of it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vPvipXvWiM&list=PLwr4APntuEQtY5FR5C2snSl2mnzcZc0c8&ab_channel=Tyranee-Let%27sDubProjectCreator/Producer) is simply a masterpiece. I can't even think about playing the original Japanese-voiced one after the way they handled it.

#3 True Remembrance. Excellent premise, great characters and an engaging story. If you're a VN newbie and looking for a free one to get you hooked, this one's right up your alley.

# 4 Narcissu. This one's pretty dark, but it's a nice and engaging journey into the minds of two terminally ill patients. I'd recommend you get the Steam version, as the earlier web version I downloaded crashed a lot.

# 5 Hatoful Boyfriend. I've only played the free demo (yeah, I've been stingy, but I'll change, I PROMISE!) which is pretty brilliant in its own right. A semi-parody of dating sims that makes you fall in love with pidgeons? Count me in!

Honorable mentions go to Deiz, a free DeviantArt VN that's got endearing characters and many, many interesting routes; School Days, the infamous 0verflow VN that made me care about its characters despite its reputation for its violent bad endings and 0verflow's generally screwed-up continuity; and the Ace Attorney, Danganronpa and Zero Escape series, though they're more like video game-VN hybrids. Mikan Tsumiki's my profile pic for a reason, you know.

Edited by PulakK

MuvLuv is fucking great and everything, I fucking love it and all, Robots and scifi, but...
Saya no Uta is my number one, I just so gay for Romance and

Spoiler

tragedy

All the suffering and Madness, the

and

, The

Spoiler

endings and the beatiful

Spoiler

that blooms in that living hell,

Spoiler

The sacrifice one does for the loved one...

The fact that the MC goes to the University and Saya is fucking cute didn't help.

2 people like this

I have a clear top 5.

#1 MUV-LUV (+alt)

#2 Umineko no Naku Koro ni (+chiru)

#3 Chaos;Head

#4 Remember11 the age of infinity.

#5 Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (+ kai)

Spoiler
6 minutes ago, FaceEater said:

MuvLuv is fucking great and everything, I fucking love it and all, Robots and scifi, but...
Saya no Uta is my number one, I just so gay for Romance and

Reveal hidden contents

tragedy

All the suffering and Madness, the

Reveal hidden contents

and

Reveal hidden contents

, The

Reveal hidden contents

endings and the beatiful

Reveal hidden contents

that blooms in that living hell,

Reveal hidden contents

The sacrifice one does for the loved one...

The fact that the MC goes to the University and Saya is fucking cute didn't help.

Saya no Uta is definitely awesome. One of my favourite protagonists ever (plus voiced by Midorikawa Hikaru).

1 hour ago, natsucule said:

1-fate/stay night

2-Steins;Gate

3-Tsukihime

4-Grisaia.

5-Muv-Luv

What about you guys?

If I'm to be totally clear, I can agree with you.  (Everyone... don't kill me just yet)

Muv-luv AS A WHOLE is not the best VN I have ever played. In total package Fate/Stay Night and Saya no uta is superior, and it would tie to ever 17. The pacing and presentation of Extra and unlimited certainly left much more to be desired. 

BUT!!! Muv-luv ALTERNATIVE is the best VN out there. Hands down. I have never ever felt or enjoyed anything even remotely comparable to it. But it greatness was built upon by Extra/Unlimited with all the foreshadowing and backstory so that I can connect with Takeru. This give Alternative really huge boost. So it would be unfair to compare other VN with just alternative.

So in conclusion.

Some VNs as a whole are better than Muv-luv.

But!!! Muv-luv alternative is the best part of any VN (in my opinion), and it could never be this great if Extra/Unlimited didn't exist.

No, but it's a close second, following Umineko.

Yes, but F/sn is a very close 2nd and I actually like F/sn' characters more.

Yes, because is the only VN I was able to start reading and finish it within 1 month.

Higurashi and Umineko are the ones that I kind of enjoy more and I'll put more effort into getting other people into them because they both have an anime, so there's a chance of getting a gateway entry with them. Plus, there's a lot more room for theorycrafting and trying to just figure out what's going on, which is always fun. But Alternative will always reign supreme. When I told my friends about the Kickstarter and how I liked it more than When They Cry, they were actively surprised. They're not really into mecha, or VNs in general, but maybe I'll try to sell them on it. The ocean of money on KS certainly helps its reputation.

I've played so many its hard to rank them all. But these are my favorites.

1 - Fate Series

2 - Muv-Luv

3 - Tsukihime

4 - Utawarerumono

5 - Rewrite

I'm still working on ones like Grisaia and the Nitro+ series, so I'm sure things could change.

Edited by Tanon

1. M-L

2. Katawa Shoujo

3. Fate series though I've only done the fate route thus far

4. Kamidori Alchemy Master

Spoiler

5. Monmusu Quest 

1) Grisaia no Kajitsu

2) Sono Hanabira - Maidens of Michael

3) MLA

4) Umineko (1-4)

5) Majikoi

Edited by Hainiryuun

I haven't read ML.

Right now my top one VN is White Album2.

Man! This WA2 is soooooo good. I am just addicted to the story and character. It should be localised indeed!

I hope ML will be that great too.

Its the best VN or even game experience to me

MLA is goddamn memorable

Probably a toss up between MLS and Ever 17. 

1. Muvluv Alternative - No Contest
2. Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai - Miyako is the best, but Yukie probably had the best route
3. Tsukihime - I loved every route except Ciel's. Sorry Ciel, I just don't get along well with your type.
4. Fate/Stay Night
5. Tie between Saya no Uta and Kara no Shoujo for strikingly different reasons

I like a lot of Nitroplus and Type Moon stuff too, but Age is definitely on top for me.

2 hours ago, HYuy said:

Miyako is the best

I 85% agree with you.  She'd be best if Momo didn't exist and wasn't voiced by Yuu Asakawa.