Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HYuy

Muv-Luv VR on HTC Vive!?!? (for real, not kidding)

19 posts in this topic

So I randomly stumbled upon this random article today: http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/03/24/muv-luv-alternative-virtual-reality-experience-with-valves-htc-vive-announced/

At first I was thinking it might be fake, until I noticed the link to degica's own site for it: http://stm.degica.com/muvluv-htc-event/

Details are sparse but apparently there's going to be some kind of Muvluv game involving Unreal Engine 4 (did Age pick up the TSF Forefront devs or something!?) and they're going to  be showcasing it on the HTC Vive in Japan on April 3rd... holy mother of Alfred Walken if there's going to be a Muvluv VR game on steam I'll preorder a Vive right now, but I guess we'll have to wait for more details. Thoughts?

1 person likes this

Funny you should bring this up. I had just recently stumbled upon that same article myself. Literally almost shat myself in excitement. I also would jump onto getting a Vive if this is gonna turn out to be an actual thing but, my god, gonna have to drop a significant amount of money for a rig, along with the Vive itself. I had already planned on doing so anyways but I need some cash reserves for my trip to AX this year. I'll just have to wait and see how impressive this Muv-Luv VR showcase will be.

Humm, I don't know, perhaps is just a test? A technical demonstration to evaluate how good it can look, how expensive it can be, etc?

I mean, unless the Schwarzesmarken VN did a lot better than I thought, I simply don't see Age having enough funds for such an humongous project. Jumping from 2d to 3D was already expensive enough to kill dozens of mid-sized mainstream devs, I can't fathom just how expensive it would be to jump from VN style graphics to full-blown virtual reality...

1 hour ago, Marx-93 said:

Humm, I don't know, perhaps is just a test? A technical demonstration to evaluate how good it can look, how expensive it can be, etc?

I mean, unless the Schwarzesmarken VN did a lot better than I thought, I simply don't see Age having enough funds for such an humongous project. Jumping from 2d to 3D was already expensive enough to kill dozens of mid-sized mainstream devs, I can't fathom just how expensive it would be to jump from VN style graphics to full-blown virtual reality...

This. I'm pretty sure it's just some sort of tech demo. The same happened to SAO some weeks ago.

SAO had a tech demo for Oculus Rift back at AX last year too, but what's surprising here is that it's muvluv with unreal engine 4. That would heavily imply it's not just some weird VN through a VR headset for some reason but some kind of actual first person experience of some kind, and that's incredibly exciting to me.

Combine that with the fact that the TSF Forefront dev team practically dropped off the face of the earth totally randomly a month or two ago, and...... correlation might not mean causation but it's certainly a possibility.

I remember stumbling upon something with Muv-Luv and Unreal Engine on YouTube, but I can't find it. In any case, VR will have to wait for me, but damn Degica's pulling out all the stops, aren't they? God bless 'em!

Sounds like it's some kind of tech demo, but either way, a Muv Luv VR experience is something I'd love. AX will be taking all my money reserves for now but I already planned on getting a Vive and the release Oculus to succeed my Oculus DK2. Wonder if whatever it is will be available for download or purchase.

2 hours ago, FaceEater said:

If only the Vive wasn't that expensive...

That's why I won't buy it right off the bat. Prices will stabilize over time, and you'll get access to a better model too. For now, let's sit back and let the early adopters take their shots.

On 25/3/2016 at 8:11 PM, HYuy said:

SAO had a tech demo for Oculus Rift back at AX last year too, but what's surprising here is that it's muvluv with unreal engine 4. That would heavily imply it's not just some weird VN through a VR headset for some reason but some kind of actual first person experience of some kind, and that's incredibly exciting to me.

Combine that with the fact that the TSF Forefront dev team practically dropped off the face of the earth totally randomly a month or two ago, and...... correlation might not mean causation but it's certainly a possibility.

Well, there have been made some VNs made on Unity, so it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to do something with Unreal engine 4. With Schwarzesmarken they used CGI for the TSFs, so doing something with Unreal Engine in that sense (maybe making both BETA and backgrounds through CGI) also makes sense...

I mean, almost everyone wishes they actually did something with Forefront, but eh, gotta be realistic too.

Also thought this article was a bit "unreal" ;P

But im super excited and want more news on this.

If it's done well, I'm all for it. From the descriptions in the novels, though, I can't help but wonder if anything could really capture just how it's been described, especially if the tech is still so new.

Hum... it seems the use of the Unreal Engine is merely there to put the environments in 3D then. Actually, there was even a joke VR demo for Nekopara that also used the Unreal Engine, so if nothing it kinda shows what most VN devs seems to be thinking.

2 hours ago, Aetherdeus said:

Did anyone get to do this or find a good description of it? This is all I've been able to find:
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20160404_751390.html
It looks like you're a grunt and not a TSF? Thats....terrifying 0.o

There are few sites floating around about that event:

http://www.gamespark.jp/article/2016/04/04/64890.html

http://app.famitsu.com/20160404_687988/

Doesn't look all that impressive to me at its current state, more like a tech demo or whatever those are called.

Well, I'm gonna wait some english news about this, since Muv-Luv Team said they share more with us about the event. Maybe this evolve into something more interesting than it looks right now.

2 people like this

If its just a tech demo i have no idea why they bother. 
Would be nice for an actual game though.