Discalibur

Getting new players into Muv Luv

24 posts in this topic

As amazing as the Muv Luv trilogy is, it's one of the hardest games to convince people to play. The amount of hours needed to push through extra, will put off a lot of newcomers who aren't interested in the moege aspect of the game.

I tried to convince a friend to play through Muv Luv, but he had a pretty big dislike for the romantic comedy and fillerish feel of the first hours. It's also hard to explain why the series is so great without ruining anything, especially to those who don't normally read visual novels.

All I could really say I was 'it's a great sci first trilogy that starts off as a romantic comedy, but trust me it's good, you gotta play through a boring 8 hour high school segment, twice.' 

It's a strange paradox, because of how bad Extra is, is why the rest of the trilogy is so amazing. It's depressing when I think of how the first impressions of the series will deter so many people from the true meat of the game.

I really hope that the official game release earns some acclaim and recognition from some mainstream media sources, because what muv luv truly has to offer just doesn't come across until the player commits hours and hours into the story.

So true, I've been thinking of getting some people I know to play the game, buuuuut... I know they would never make it.

9 minutes ago, Discalibur said:

you gotta play through a boring 8 hour high school segment, twice.' 

Noticed that there's the catch: the second time if you skip read what you already plowed through, it's just 1 hour. Saying that, I managed to convince a 3 people to try anyway, and they are probably thankful of my advice as of now. One ended up being a fan of Extra as well, and plan to read the other routes sometime.

There are still people who won't try anyway. That's okay, they'd like it way more if they went in by themselves anyway.

I'm sure it'll get plenty of acclaim and the steam reviews will be overwhelmingly positive, so people will at least give it a chance. Usually what convinces people is watching the OP for Alternative. 

It's a shame people feel so negatively about Extra. It's actually my favorite of the three stories.

Edited by jmaisonet

If you ask me, if the guy really doesn't like Extra, just drop the BETA revelation on him, and let him skip to Unlimited if he hates it THAT much. I understand people being turned off by Extra if they aren't into silly rom-coms (fortunately, I am. In fact, I'm looking forward to playing Extra and don't think it's nearly as bad as some make it out to be.)

If you want to drop it on an unsuspecting stranger, either hope he likes all of Muv-Luv's genres, including raunchy comedy, cutesie romance, and dark apocalyptic shit, or just give them a rundown of the basic premise. And remember, no matter what you do, you can't please everyone.

4 minutes ago, jmaisonet said:

I'm sure it'll get plenty of acclaim and the steam reviews will be overwhelmingly positive, so people will at least give it a chance. Usually what convinces people is watching the OP for Alternative. 

It's a shame people feel so negatively against Extra. It's actually my favorite of the three stories.

Huh? I thought everyone's favorite was Alternative! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!

Seriously, though, Extra's light-hearted setting is a nice way to ease yourself into the adventure. As I've said before, the context of the series as a whole adds a lot of poignancy to it.

There is no chance that the 1st Muv Luv will get a decent metascore. Most professional visual novel reviews are written by people that clearly haven't finished the game.

I think you should share Muv Luv with people who like moe romantic comedy. Age didn't write Extra just for people to complain about it.

2 people like this

14 minutes ago, frogtaku said:

Noticed that there's the catch: the second time if you skip read what you already plowed through, it's just 1 hour. Saying that, I managed to convince a 3 people to try anyway, and they are probably thankful of my advice as of now. One ended up being a fan of Extra as well, and plan to read the other routes sometime.

There are still people who won't try anyway. That's okay, they'd like it way more if they went in by themselves anyway.

This. By the time there are ratings on Steam, people will be drawn in, whether it's from genuine interest or just for the heck of it.

A little Luv spreading can't hurt in this case anyway, you might make others wonder why the games have such passionate followers and they'll seek out more info then they could even get to try for themselves. Victory ! ^_^

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Ian said:

There is no chance that the 1st Muv Luv will get a decent metascore. Most professional visual novel reviews are written by people that clearly haven't finished the game.

I think you should share Muv Luv with people who like moe romantic comedy. Age didn't write Extra just for people to complain about it.

That's why it is our mission to write reviews that actually explain why reading MLE/MLU is worth your time in the end and upvote them.

Also the description of the 1st game should make it clear that it is NOT a standalone title and selliing ML + MLA in a bundle (maybe even at a slight discount) will help lifting some of the confusion people may have.

2 people like this

1 minute ago, WS Eule said:

That's why it is our mission to write reviews that actually explain why reading MLE/MLU is worth your time in the end and upvote them.

Also the description of the 1st game should make it clear that it is NOT a standalone title and selliing ML + MLA in a bundle (maybe even at a slight discount) will help lifting some of the confusion people may have.

I wonder if anyone will read the blurbs and feel so terrified of the BETA that they decide to just play Extra and be done with it.

A lot of my friends are Mecha fans so I usually have to sell Muv-Luv by using the robot angle but I was able to convince them to go through Extra thanks to using Akane Maniax and Gouda as their starting point :D

Edited by JakatoX
Minor edit

1 person likes this

With all the praises and reviews from all existing fanbase, people will definitely give a try to see what the hype is all about. Though, I can foresee some issues for new readers:

1- The summary/setting of Extra as Romance Comedy. Some will be reluctant to take up the game if they aren't familiar/comfortable with the common Japanese VN or anime vibe. Especially if they aren't aware of how the magic of Muv Luv franchise works.

2- The playthrough of Extra. This is the time when the patience of readers is being put to test. From what I know, many people who stopped Muv Luv basically dropped while playing through this part. Personally, I enjoy the stories and routes, though I do kinda rush through since I was targeting Unlimited and Alternative. But as alternative, there is still a backup plan of reading a summary on Extra to get them ready to jump directly into Unlimited (but really not recommended).

3- The fact that Muv Luv is being released as two VNs. Muv Luv does a good job in using Extra to explore the characters and Unlimited to build up the setting for the main deal, but the contents and actions in these aren't really comparable to what Alternative delivers. With there being a gap before the final part of the trilogy comes out, people may just give a verdict based on how the 1st VN feels for them and ended up underestimating Alternative's story, which we all know a great masterpiece that does justice and brings up the full potential of all those build-ups in previous parts.

Therefore, I say the release of the 1st VN will be crucial operation, for new recruits to take up the challenge to start of Muv Luv and for us veterans to convey the message of what the franchise delivers. We can't let those BETA's get ahead of us!!!

1 person likes this

One of my friends that I got to play it really liked Extra, and when I told him it's the boring bit he got really excited.

Turns out he didn't like Unlimited that much, and Alternative even less. I still can't wrap my head around it, even if I spend almost every waking moment with him (online). I guess some people just want the cute girls and not a complicated plot. While I respect his opinion, I still call him out on his bullshit every time it comes up. I will not give in to his moebsession.

Edited by Curdi

@Curdi I can sort of relate to him. Extra was my favorite and Alternative was my least favorite. I love the franchise for it's silly comedy more than the serious stuff.

8 hours ago, JakatoX said:

A lot of my friends are Mecha fans so I usually have to sell Muv-Luv by using the robot angle but I was able to convince them to go through Extra thanks to using Akane Maniax and Gouda as their starting point :D

I also say how Takeru is playing a near accurate Virtual On, and that there are a lot of hidden references to mecha throughout all of Extra like:

Spoiler

An Ideon character being the archery club captain.

Hairstyles.

That test with a Gundam colony drop (avoiding to mention the foreshadowing with Sadogashima here).

DRILL MILKY PUNCH

Those Takeru exclamatiory sentences that are sometimes straight out of mecha series.

And so on...

1 person likes this

Tell them to skip the Lacrosse arc entirely. I cannot stress this enough: skip the lacrosse arc entirely. And then skip the parts they dont like in Extra (using Ctrl) and limit themselves to only Sumika/Meiyas routes.

After finishing Unlimited/Alternative, and provided that they liked it, they should have a much easier time reading Extra now. Though as someone who read Extra completely, I don't recommend reading past Sumika/Meiyas routes unless you want to see all the references or foreshadowing to Alternative (pretty sure there was a mini-reference to CHOMP in Miki's route).

13 minutes ago, David said:

Tell them to skip the Lacrosse arc entirely. I cannot stress this enough: skip the lacrosse arc entirely. And then skip the parts they dont like in Extra (using Ctrl) and limit themselves to only Sumika/Meiyas routes.

After finishing Unlimited/Alternative, and provided that they liked it, they should have a much easier time reading Extra now. Though as someone who read Extra completely, I don't recommend reading past Sumika/Meiyas routes unless you want to see all the references or foreshadowing to Alternative (pretty sure there was a mini-reference to CHOMP in Miki's route).

Isn't the lacrosse arc, like, one of the main events? No way I'm gonna skip that!

1 minute ago, PulakK said:

Isn't the lacrosse arc, like, one of the main events? No way I'm gonna skip that!

The problem is that lacrosse is basically: "Oh no you guys! If we don't win this match then this behind-the-scenes team that you know nothing about will disband behind-the-scenes!" It may be a main event, but it's forced drama about something that literally no one should care about.

Just now, David said:

The problem is that lacrosse is basically: "Oh no you guys! If we don't win this match then this behind-the-scenes team that you know nothing about will disband behind-the-scenes!" It may be a main event, but it's forced drama about something that literally no one should care about.

You must REALLY not be a fan of sports dramas.

:P

Maybe, but now that you mention it, I don't remember taking any type of sports drama seriously before

5 minutes ago, David said:

:P

Maybe, but now that you mention it, I don't remember taking any type of sports drama seriously before

So, to amend you statement, "Skip the lacrosse arc entirely! Unless of course you actually LIKE shitty sports dramas, plebian."

Just now, PulakK said:

So, to amend you statement, "Skip the lacrosse arc entirely! Unless of course you actually LIKE shitty sports dramas, plebian."

A little extreme, but if that's what it takes to get new players through Extra and enjoy Alternative then i don't see the problem lol.

I plan on just buying Muv Luv for my non-weeb friends...and just hope they will play it even as a joke.

I mean that is how I got into anime

1 hour ago, GreatP3nguin said:

I plan on just buying Muv Luv for my non-weeb friends...and just hope they will play it even as a joke.

I mean that is how I got into anime

I got into anime thanks to Animax.

Lacrosse sucks because the only real points it has going for it are that 

A. It introduces Kashiwagi (this is also a con, because Kashiwgi is fun but she literally stops existing as soon as the arc is done)

B. It does have SOME fun moments, especially the ending on the Meiya/Sumika paths where it basically involves Takeru telling all of them to stop acting like goddamn children.  

I wouldn't say SKIP it, at least not on a first read, because it isn't THAT bad on a first readthrough.  It's just a little longer then it really needs to be, and the drama from it is just stupid (and even worse on Chizuru/Ayamine's paths), but most of these problems are things that only become really annoying when you need to go through it for each path.  

Also I would personally never let anyone skip Extra, I would tell them to do the bare minimum to get through it, but never to skip it since Extra is a huge part of the Trilogy and it's only in hindsight that many realize just how important it really was.