Sume Gai

Xenoblade Chonicles X

20 posts in this topic

I'd imagine most of us appreciate stuff with Mecha and good world building, so how many of you are interested in Xenoblade Chonicles X?

Can't wait for Xenoblade Chronicles X! It was already decided among my group of friends that I'll be the guy who always carries around a Robot during a mission just in case things go south for the people on the ground xD

I got a Wii U specifically for this. When I saw the combat was that of the original Xenoblade plus the presence of robots, I was sold.

I'm also nostalgic about the Xenosaga series which was done by Monolith Soft as well. And let's not forget about Xenogears !

47 minutes ago, Klashvorn said:

I got a Wii U specifically for this. When I saw the combat was that of the original Xenoblade plus the presence of robots, I was sold.

I'm also nostalgic about the Xenosaga series which was done by Monolith Soft as well. And let's not forget about Xenogears !

That actually reminds me how Xenoblade and Xenosaga are crossing-over in Project X Zone 2

I was super hype to get a wii u just for Chronicles X, but then the kickstarter happened.

Ill just have to wait a bit longer now

I was hyped until I learned 8-4 is the studio that's localizing it, now I'm considering either not playing it or putting it off until I learn Japanese. Especially considering how they stumped one of the character models already.

Xenoblade Chronicles definitely was a pretty damn good game. Too bad I haven't got a Wii U... yet. I'll have to re-evaluate the situation when X comes out.

5 hours ago, JakatoX said:

That actually reminds me how Xenoblade and Xenosaga are crossing-over in Project X Zone 2

Yeah, I regret not having a 3DS for this haha.. Too many games to play ! ^^'

16 minutes ago, Klashvorn said:

Yeah, I regret not having a 3DS for this haha.. Too many games to play ! ^^'

Yeah tell me about it, after the Muv-Luv Kickstarter happened Xenoblade Chronicles X is probably the only game I'm gonna get for this rest of this year minus some super on sale digital deals.

Super excited. It's one of the games that I recently got a U for and just yesterday I continued 'blade on 3DS after not playing since like May. I had no idea what was going on or how to do combat. I actually restarted the game (I was 8 hours in) and plowed through back to the point I was at before in only an hour and a half and loaded up my old save again. Side quest padding makes a difference apparently.

Another good one for Wii U that didn't get enough press is The Wonderful 101. It's the closest thing we'll ever have to Gurren Lagann the game. It's super campy and really well-written and the gameplay is great. It was a launch title, but it doesn't seem like it's mid-generation; it looks really nice. 

Reminds me that I might want to share my Network ID with you guys, it would be cool if we manage to play it together at some point after release ^^

By the way, what are your thoughts on the whole deal with the removal of the chest slider for female avatars and Lin's altered outfits ?

If they're going to have a customization thing, why wouldn't they have it? More conspicuously, why would the Japanese version have it and the International version not have it? The feature itself is a stupid thing to get upset over, but the fact that NoA is so blatantly giving us sanitized versions of things that other places are getting is more offensive than any parent or watchdog group could be over a chest size customizer. 

The change in costumes in many recent Nintendo games (Bravely Default, Fatal Frame, and this at the very least) I can accept with a roll of my eyes, because to be fair, they are ridiculously skimpy, and the characters are mostly underage-looking if not outright lolis. IMO, the changed ones usually look better (except Samus in Fatal Frame which makes no sense). But in a game where you can customize every physical attribute except a single one that someone thought certain regions couldn't handle because of morality or something, especially when we already know that it's been changed when the game's not even out yet, it just shows that Nintendo's behind on the times in certain areas. 

Now that's not necessarily always a bad thing, as it means they're a company that sticks to their principles, and you didn't see them toying with tech to eliminate used games or have always-on internet activation DRM, etc., and they're the only company that has kept a focus on local multiplayer so you can actually play some videogames when your friends come over and want to do something. But then you have stupid stuff like this where they pretend that there's no internet and countries can't talk to each other about things that obviously exist in both places yet are clearly different. 

1 person likes this

Yeah, we're pretty much on the same page here. The fact that we know there are differences kinda makes it a big deal for a feature that isn't considered so much of one to begin with. It's not changing gameplay but it's still altering possibilities since the character creator feature is a selling point.

And to add to this, why the sanitizing considering how the story premise is ? The revealed intro isn't exactly sunshine and roses so I can't understand the decision even more. Is it for making sure the rating stays on the lower end of the spectrum ? I mean, it's not the first game that has this kind of customization so I'm iffy about this. Then again, they've showed us lack of sense already so.. or at least a sense of logic we don't get at all.

I do hand it to them for sticking to their beliefs and principles but they really ought to be more adaptable in some areas when dealing with the global market.

3 minutes ago, Klashvorn said:

Is it for making sure the rating stays on the lower end of the spectrum ?

No. Costume changes...debatable, but still probably not since it's an optional and relatively minor (heh) thing. And there's this sort of rating creep where now that we have games like GTA or Heavy Rain where there's straight-up nudity and rape scenes, those will get the attention but things like costumes don't seem to matter as much (none of the Mortal Kombat games ever had sexual themes ratings for example). But character customization isn't sexualizing anything. In fact, I'd argue that making a fuss over it is actually more of a HEY GIRLS HAVE BOOBIES than if you kept it on the same level as eye shape. I mean, really.

8 minutes ago, Klashvorn said:

I do hand it to them for sticking to their beliefs and principles but they really ought to be more adaptable in some areas when dealing with the global market.

They're in this weird new area where they've begun to embrace "grown-up" games, so they have things like Bayonetta 2 as exclusives and when Platinum asked how far they could go, Nintendo basically said to go crazy and so now all her combos leave her full-back naked for a second. But if it's rated T they panic and censor everything when there's no problem.

2 people like this

10 hours ago, Anix said:

No. Costume changes...debatable, but still probably not since it's an optional and relatively minor (heh) thing. And there's this sort of rating creep where now that we have games like GTA or Heavy Rain where there's straight-up nudity and rape scenes, those will get the attention but things like costumes don't seem to matter as much (none of the Mortal Kombat games ever had sexual themes ratings for example). But character customization isn't sexualizing anything. In fact, I'd argue that making a fuss over it is actually more of a HEY GIRLS HAVE BOOBIES than if you kept it on the same level as eye shape. I mean, really.

They're in this weird new area where they've begun to embrace "grown-up" games, so they have things like Bayonetta 2 as exclusives and when Platinum asked how far they could go, Nintendo basically said to go crazy and so now all her combos leave her full-back naked for a second. But if it's rated T they panic and censor everything when there's no problem.

Yeah, I've noticed this a lot, not just in video games but also in movies. There's quite a double standard when it comes to Teen-rated and PG-13 stuff, as far as sexual content goes. You can have shootouts and people dying in PG-13 stuff, but too much booby-talk is a no-no.

And just to play the Devil's Advocate here, maybe NoA has a good reason to pander to the moral guardians and the like, because of the widespread reputation they have of being "family-friendly". We all know just how much crap video games with adult content keep getting in the West (I can't wait for the smug moralizing assholes to start writing about how the rise of eroge VNs is signalling the death of good ol' 'Murican values, hell I came across a few unsavory comments even on ML's Steam Greenlight page). Legislators even attempted to crack down on the industry, and if they'd succeeded, it might have doomed the prospects of eroge VNs in the West entirely.

But I digress. My point is, many devs do have an annoying habit to pandering to the moral guardians, and said moral guardians are usually not as internet-savvy as the rest of us anyway, so they have little to lose even if they blatantly censor stuff. This is especially prominent when it comes to games rated lower than "M". Some righteous moron is almost guaranteed to raise a stink and say stuff like "Hey, this game's supposed to be for children! I HAVE TWO SONS BLAH BLAH BLAH!" Heck, even "M" rated stuff can get into hot water if they skirt eroge territory, just look at Mass Effect.

8 hours ago, PulakK said:

maybe NoA has a good reason to pander to the moral guardians and the like, because of the widespread reputation they have of being "family-friendly".

That's mostly for their first-party games, which they still pretty much stick to. Metroid is maybe their most "mature" franchise, and that's still a low T with the 3D ones. Though Samus is getting less and less full suit time with each game. 

For third party games, the Wii U actually managed to get a couple releases of things that are on all the other platforms, which hasn't really happened in the last 10-15 years that much. Ninja Gaiden, the Arkham series (are of which all T), Bayonetta, and Watch Dogs are all things that push the usual Nintendo standards and have sexualish things (costumes, and in Bayonetta's case, outright nudity like I said earlier). 

9 hours ago, PulakK said:

Heck, even "M" rated stuff can get into hot water if they skirt eroge territory, just look at Mass Effect.

Yeah, that was weird. There have been way worse things than Mass Effect, before and since. Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy (though that got heavily censored in the US), Heavy Rain, The Witcher, GTA5, Saint's Row (4 is literally a parody of that but easier to do and more vulgar)... There's probably more, but Mass Effect probably just had the right combination of hype for the game and lack of real news.

7 minutes ago, Anix said:

That's mostly for their first-party games, which they still pretty much stick to. Metroid is maybe their most "mature" franchise, and that's still a low T with the 3D ones. Though Samus is getting less and less full suit time with each game. 

For third party games, the Wii U actually managed to get a couple releases of things that are on all the other platforms, which hasn't really happened in the last 10-15 years that much. Ninja Gaiden, the Arkham series (are of which all T), Bayonetta, and Watch Dogs are all things that push the usual Nintendo standards and have sexualish things (costumes, and in Bayonetta's case, outright nudity like I said earlier). 

Yeah, that was weird. There have been way worse things than Mass Effect, before and since. Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy (though that got heavily censored in the US), Heavy Rain, The Witcher, GTA5, Saint's Row (4 is literally a parody of that but easier to do and more vulgar)... There's probably more, but Mass Effect probably just had the right combination of hype for the game and lack of real news.

To me, moral guardians generally target games that have the unfortunate combination of being both erotic and highly well-known and anticipated. The more people know about something, the more likely the chances are of some smug twats to announce their superiority to the world by decrying how horrible that something is, for whatever stupid reason.

And in the case of Mass Effect, there was also the fact of politics being thrown into the whole mess. It was a neoconservative blogger who wrote a bunch of fabrications about the game to get everyone riled up, and then Fox News (I love them, I just LUUUV them!) jumped on the bullshit bandwagon.

Of course, going by that logic, it is kind of surprising how Bayonetta's escaped similar scrutiny (I still think GTA5 gets a lot of shit, remember that petition that got it removed from Target Australia's shelves). But well, good for Platinum Games that they don't have to deal with such bullshit.

Of course, you could also blame the localization studio for everything happening. @Amazing Agent D's already sworn off the international version of the game since Studio 8-4's localizing it.

4 minutes ago, Anix said:

It's a Nintendo of America decision. What's wrong with that studio?

Ah, going by some comments on TVTropes, some fans don't like the studio and the way they've handled past localizations. I assume that since this censorship thing's already happened, they've just blamed the studio's way of handling things and have sworn off anything that involves them. 

Of course, that's just the impression I'm getting. It was because of @Amazing Agent D's post that I discovered such animosity even exists, so maybe he'd be better equipped to explain what the problem is.

Okay, so I got my copy a little early haha ^^

I got the Limited edition.

IMG_20151203_184705.thumb.jpg.8bb07cfec1

IMG_20151203_185217.thumb.jpg.2f05851da5