Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RealityMarble

Anyone else getting somewhat concerned about the lack of updates?

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Lack of transparency is a major concern through games on Kickstater where it has been well documented that during game production they run into concerns and abandon they project and take the money, which I have been a victim to. However, I do not think the Degica will do the same to run off with our money with the release of the first game but the lack of updates is not good for the moral of it's customers. The last update was on Feb 27, about 3 and a half months ago, and on April 19th on their twitter they said an update would be coming soon, that was just shy of a month ago. I dont know if they are busy with Anime Expo plans, working the logistics of the announced Kiminozo, or the games itself to be distracted from giving us news. I believe as a customer, I should be patient to get a quality game, which does take time, but they could release information of what they are doing and where they are at in the project to reassure customers and gave confidence in the company. I am not saying to hurry up the game project or anything like that but as a customer who paid $150, I would like to have confidence in this purchase than other failed Kickstarter fulfillment I have funded in the past, just simply give us an update. 

Edited by RealityMarble

A bit weird. I wouldn't worry about the 'jumping ship' scenario. Pretty well established publisher. Taking as long as possible during this project, most likely out of complacency caused by receiving the kick starter money before even starting the project. It appears that there isn't a great deal of motivation on the part of the developer and translators.

However, there could also be an issue with intellectual property or something. Just another possibility.

1 hour ago, Hellstar said:

A bit weird. I wouldn't worry about the 'jumping ship' scenario. Pretty well established publisher. Taking as long as possible during this project, most likely out of complacency caused by receiving the kick starter money before even starting the project. It appears that there isn't a great deal of motivation on the part of the developer and translators.

However, there could also be an issue with intellectual property or something. Just another possibility.

All possible and good observation. Also, it seems many of the members of the project we got to know have left. Maybe thats why a lot of transparency and updates have gone as well, with them.

Anyway, the point I was making is how important it is to have an updates and see what and where our funds are up to. I used a little customer scare tactics to inflate my concerns somewhat and exaggerate what maybe happening to get some responses but I have genuinely started to develop a concern none the less. Usually its a good sign when developers talk and interact with the public and customers but otherwise signals there maybe be problems in development. However I really hope my concerns turn out to be misguided and dont come to fruition. 

Knowing that the physical goods are in one or more warehouses, which is costly every day, I doubt they're making it drag on purpose. The sooner they can be done with it, the better for them.

However, they're not rushing the job because they want to offer a quality product.

Communication would be nice, but I'm not worried.

They are probably waiting for âge to finish with Alt before they make an update and âge takes years to do something.

3 hours ago, FaceEater said:

They are probably waiting for âge to finish with Alt before they make an update and âge takes years to do something.

These are translators and developers doing a port (Maybe a bit extra). What they do is almost independent (apart from intellectual property) of what âge does. However, it is possible, considering the end of the manga is near. Your point in this case is quite valid.

The main problem is the lack of transparency and complacency of a developer for a crowd funded game is not good for the product, the dev or the consumer.

Edited by Hellstar

Everything about this Kickstarter has been kind of disappointing.

First the port to this new engine with really shitty scaling, which I've covered in the past - The original Muv Luv actually looks better because it knows to properly scale the images, unlike the new one which stretches them only.  Hence you get ugly picture quality on larger monitors. Seriously, on my 27'', it looks awful. I can't imagine on a 50'' TV or so - yet I also booted up the original and did a side by side, the original had much clearer and sharper pictures.  Then there is the cropping.

Also the localization leaves much to be desired...the original fan translation is much more faithful to the source material. 

As for the topic at hand...Muv Luv Alternative was due out October, last year. It is now mid-way through May, and nothing. Also consider that what they started with, they claimed they only needed to re-translate about 20% of Ixtals translation, so it's not like they had to do the entire damn thing. 

Disappointing overall with the extreme lack of progress, updates and overall choices. I now understand why Nasu doesn't want official ports of his works, if such a big franchise like Muv Luv can experience this, it would be hellish to see F/SN officially brought over, his art destroyed in an attempt to make the images widescreen, characters now speaking English idioms and slang, ect. 

It's an absolute travesty the way this entire process has been handled, the lack of communication, and don't you say it's about money - the Muv Luv KS is the most successful VN KS to date, and overall is in the top 20 most successful kickstarters. They had the money. I mean hell, they even charged for the 18+ patch, which is pretty messed up as it's content you already paid for - removed. 

The lack of communication and general extended wait, better mean they've been doing a second pass on all this and maybe fixing the issues I mentioned above, but I doubt it. They got millions to re-release a product already made. 

Edited by Mkilbride

12 hours ago, rubi said:

what about updates on physicals? are there any of them?

They sent out update #40 a few hours ago but it didnt specify a date or a rough timeframe for that. They also didnt specify MLA's release on steam, perhaps the most important piece of information we need to know at this point in time.

Edited by RealityMarble

11 hours ago, RealityMarble said:

They also didnt specify MLA's release on steam, perhaps the most important piece of information we need to know at this point in time.

Soon™ ^_^