Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
invalidname

Anime Central 2017

12 posts in this topic

Anime Central 2017 panel submissions open tomorrow. I'll be proposing another Muv-Luv panel, because THE STREAK MUST NOT BE BROKEN.

Pre-Kickstarter, I would do this panel as an info-dump on the franchise, but for 2016, we figured enough people now knew about Muv-Luv from the Kickstarter that it would be good to kick around a panel discussion, so @Aetherdeus and @Dexomega joined me (and we even got Theron Martin, who reviewed Schwarzesmarken for Anime News Network, to join for the last half).

This went really well — you can download an MP3 of the panel from my little-used livestreaming site — and I am really psyched to do it again next year, if they'll have us.

So, come join us in Chicago in May. By then, Alternative should be out, and we can all work through our PTSD together. But hey, we'll all have our Kickstarter merch by then, so y'all can show off your TSF pilot jackets and/or BETA hoodies.

—invalidname

040.JPG

2 people like this

Woo, good luck! Maybe it won't be as much of a death slot next year? We did pretty well despite that, tho. I'm going all-in to make AX so I don't think I'll be getting to ACen next year unless something big happens, though maybe AWA.

So, thinking of going Alternative-heavy this time? 

Death slot? No, no, no, 11:30PM on Friday night is not a death slot. 10AM on Sunday -- where we were scheduled in 2015 -- is a death slot.

Hopefully, Muv-Luv is selling itself better, now that people can actually get the darn thing off Steam and play it. And that should lead to better spots on the schedule and better turnout.

I might try to go to AX too, but with ACen just three hours away, there's no way I'm not going to go to ACen. And as the second biggest con in the US now (given the downturn at Otakon), it's a pretty good place to set up camp for a Muv-Luv panel, especially since fan panels are practically non-existent at AX.

Oof, fair enough - I'd kind of miss fighting the hentai panels if it moved :D
It's unfortunately a trip either way for me, and I've got too many flights to make next year to probably get there. I really liked it, though I wish I'd managed to get a host hotel room. Worst case, I'd be happy to Skype/Discord/etc in for the panel if it'd be any help

I'm just getting dead silence around here on running a panel, but I'll probably still try anyway - there's not enough fandom here to do much detail, so I think I'll be better suited tooling it to pull new fans in.

Well, the ACen panel submission form is borked at the moment (they require you to submit an outline, and it keeps rejecting mine because of its file extension… I guess that ".txt" is a bad thing now).

While we're waiting for that to get fixed, here's the outline I'm going to send them:

Muv-Luv 2017 outline, v. 1

1. Intro - Short summary of the main story and its spinoffs

2. Franchise update
	Extra/Unlimited released on Steam, July 2016
	Alternative should be out Q1 2017
	Photonmelodies / Photonflowers due sometime in 2017
	Kickstarter merch should ship in Q1 2017
	Schwarzesmarken VN greenlit on Steam, any news?
	Scharzesmarken anime - any English licensee yet?
	Kimi ga Nozomu Eien / Rumbling Hearts news?
		(all of Muv-Luv is technically a spinoff of KGNE. A fan translation is underway at kiminozo.life, and a remake was announced at AX 2016)

3. Muv-Luv English fandom
	Now that the VNs are out in English, what's the reaction? Are there new fans of the series? Are there haters?

4. Muv-Luv themes
	Now that we can expect ACen attendees to have actually played the VNs, what do we think? What's it about? Love? War? PTSD?

5. Muv-Luv future
	Where is this franchise going? 
		Will there ever be an anime of the main story?
		Why were the Total Eclipse and Schwarzesmarken anime critcial and commercial flops, respectively? (Were they?)
		What's next? (Will anything from Duty -Lost Arcadia- be out by ACen?)

6. Muv-Luv community
	Wikia, community.muvluv.moe, blogs, Twitter personalities, etc.
	How to go beyond the VNs and dig deeper into the franchise
		Alternative Projects' fan translations, Japanese-only resources (age website, weekly NicoNico livestream, etc.), unlicensed anime, music

So, Anime Central just opened sign-ups for cosplay gatherings. We had a small one last year, but it was basically just me and@Aetherdeus, so if he's not coming, I can't really reserve a spot, since we need a back-up contact at a minimum.

So, if you know you're cosplaying Muv-Luv at Anime Central (the big one in Chicago in May), please follow-up here or DM me and we'll put in for a spot.

Otherwise, just look for me — either in the UN uniform from my avatar, or crossplaying Mitsuki in Hakuryo summer uni — and say hi.

I'm sorry! I had fun last year, but I can't make both ACen and AX ;(
I fully expect to burn out on AX like I did for DragonCon and be back next year though

OK, I'm hearing absolute silence on the cosplay front for Anime Central, so I'm not going to reserve a spot.

Wish I could travel that far with my game in tow but from Maryland to Chicago is a long way.

And we are… approved!Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 3.42.46 PM.png

Edited by invalidname

1 person likes this

Provisional ACen schedule has us Saturday mid-evening, which would be the best time we've ever gotten. Last year, we were on at 11:30PM Friday (next door to a rowdy dubbed hentai panel room), year before was 10AM Sunday.

I should probably start filling out the slide deck, and finalizing co-panelists.

acen-muv-luv-slides-trivia-1-blurred.jpg

Also, looking at my message at the beginning of the thread, my optimism about the timing of backer rewards and the release date of Alternative may turn out to have been overly optimistic. Maybe BETA hoodie meetup will have to wait for ACen 2018.