Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jasonvorheas24

How does your route in extra transfer to unlimited and alternative?

21 posts in this topic

Hey I haven't played Muv-luv yet but I am very interested the series, what I'm wondering is if you go down a particular route in extra how exactly does that transition into Unlimited and eventually Alternative? Every girl has a different ending am I right? If so is there like some decision you make at the beginning of Unlimited and alternative to continue down a particular path? Or does your decisions in previous games just not matter at all which in my mind would be kind of disappointing?

Can't go into detail due to spoilers. Due to how the plot progresses, the endings from previous story will not have direct impact (plot-wise) to the beginning of next part. But the endings does serve a purpose for the plot.

Edited by Svenhent

It is like any other VN in that regard. There is no transition( or continuation) to Unlimited route wise. As you said above, your choices in extra do not come into play. However, it is not disappointing in the slightest. 
Once you have completed Extra ( At least the main route),and start unlimited. You will see why :) 

Anymore and i am going into spoiler territory!

Ah, looks like someone replied before me :P

Edited by kingrisen

12 minutes ago, Svenhent said:

Can't go into detail due to spoilers. Due to how the plot progresses, the endings from previous story will not have direct impact (plot-wise) to the beginning of next part. But the endings does serve a purpose for the plot.

There are flag triggers for extra --> Unlimited 

if you skip extra and go directly to unlimited the flag will be set to Meiya's ending.

This flag only changes one scene and is a few route points for what ever flag you load in with.... so basically it doesn't matter.

Alt doesn't have any flag checks though.. it can't read the other game's file anyways ect so it can't.

Edited by Randomacts

36 minutes ago, kingrisen said:

Once you have completed Extra ( At least the main route),and start unlimited. You will see why :) 

I don't really understand but I guess I can only figure out when I play the game, thanks for your guys help anyways though. Just wondering though which one is the main route? I've heard is apparently Sumika and Meiya are required while the rest are optional(correct me if I'm wrong). It doesn't really specify on the guide I'm looking at which one is the main one?

1 hour ago, Randomacts said:

if you skip extra and go directly to unlimited the flag will be set to Meiya's ending.

This flag only changes one scene and is a few route points for what ever flag you load in with.... so basically it doesn't matter.

Oh, you're right. Kinda slipped my mind since I complete all Extra routes before moving on.

53 minutes ago, jasonvorheas24 said:

Just wondering though which one is the main route? I've heard is apparently Sumika and Meiya are required while the rest are optional(correct me if I'm wrong). It doesn't really specify on the guide I'm looking at which one is the main one?

Sumika and Meiya are considered the main routes. These 2 routes share similar core events (which ties into Unlimited and Alternative) apart from some character-specific scenes so you can read at least one of them before moving into Unlimited.

Edited by Svenhent

38 minutes ago, jasonvorheas24 said:

I don't really understand but I guess I can only figure out when I play the game, thanks for your guys help anyways though. Just wondering though which one is the main route? I've heard is apparently Sumika and Meiya are required while the rest are optional(correct me if I'm wrong). It doesn't really specify on the guide I'm looking at which one is the main one?

The main route is Sumika and Meiya(I consider them both one route as they share similar events). While the rest are optional( in a sense), they are still enjoyable to play-through.

My favourite is Tama's!

Yeah, whoever you last finish Extra with keys who is in a few scenes in Unlimited - not plot-critical as far as I can tell, but there are minor "flavor" differences.

Gonna say it again @kingrisen - that sig is pure magic.  Dunno what it's from but that girl is like... my spirit animal or something.... lol

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, rlranft said:

Yeah, whoever you last finish Extra with keys who is in a few scenes in Unlimited - not plot-critical as far as I can tell, but there are minor "flavor" differences.

Gonna say it again @kingrisen - that sig is pure magic.  Dunno what it's from but that girl is like... my spirit animal or something.... lol

It is from Carnival Phantasm, if you have seen the fate series or read ect you should watch it.

lJvkuKz.gif

@RandomactsThanks - haven't seen either of those, but I'll look 'em up.  And my daughters will love that sig too....

And while I'm on the topic ... where do you even set your signature?

Edited by rlranft

43 minutes ago, rlranft said:

@RandomactsThanks - haven't seen either of those, but I'll look 'em up.  And my daughters will love that sig too....

And while I'm on the topic ... where do you even set your signature?

Thanks! Carnival Phantasm( and Saber for that matter) is hilarious. 

On the topic of signatures: Account settings and signature. The difficulty is finding a picture to fit :P 

1 hour ago, kingrisen said:

Thanks! Carnival Phantasm( and Saber for that matter) is hilarious. 

On the topic of signatures: Account settings and signature. The difficulty is finding a picture to fit :P 

Thanks - was looking in Profile.  And I have never used an image for mine, it has always been a quote from my Sr. Drill Instructor back when I was in basic.  It always stuck with me, even more so because the man never cursed except for that one sentence in the entire two months I knew him.  He could make you feel about 2" tall without using a single "foul" word, but his counterpart (Drill Instructor Mormon)  was as foul-mouthed as I've ever met and very "creative" in his cursing (the challenge there was to avoid laughing because he was hilarious).

Aaaaaand I'm way off topic as usual.

Edited by rlranft

4 hours ago, rlranft said:

Thanks - was looking in Profile.  And I have never used an image for mine, it has always been a quote from my Sr. Drill Instructor back when I was in basic.  It always stuck with me, even more so because the man never cursed except for that one sentence in the entire two months I knew him.  He could make you feel about 2" tall without using a single "foul" word, but his counterpart (Drill Instructor Mormon)  was as foul-mouthed as I've ever met and very "creative" in his cursing (the challenge there was to avoid laughing because he was hilarious).

Aaaaaand I'm way off topic as usual.

Everyone's signature is personal. Be it a quote or picture
On the topic of yours. A rather humorous one if i may say. I can see why it has stuck with you for such a length of time. I quite like it! :)

Also, i wouldn't worry about going off topic. Conversations or whatnot are boring if you only discuss one subject!  

15 hours ago, rlranft said:

Wait so the game unlimited can read your saves from extra? They are 2 separate games right? Well I guess it doesn't matter too much since you say so but your comment did make me curious for some reason.

Going off topic myself, huge Fate and tsukihime fan here, but I never watched carnival phantasm. I feel so ashamed now lol.

45 minutes ago, jasonvorheas24 said:

Wait so the game unlimited can read your saves from extra? They are 2 separate games right? Well I guess it doesn't matter too much since you say so but your comment did make me curious for some reason.

Bioware games are famous for this - the Dragon Age and Mass Effect series made huge use of choices in earlier games having an effect in later ones.

It's no real trick to get that information between games - the developers do have access to the save game file format after all.  I'm just hoping there's a similar tie between Unlimited and Alternative.  I've made a simple utility for Dragon Age: Inquisition to help with the 200 save file limitation that directly accesses the save file for character name and hours played info to assist in deciding which files to move to backup locations.  Not too tricky as a general rule.

Edited by rlranft

Er, Muv Luv Unlimited / Alternative doesn't use any of your sava data from Extra. Except for unlocking Unlimited, that is.

3 minutes ago, Mkilbride said:

Er, Muv Luv Unlimited / Alternative doesn't use any of your sava data from Extra. Except for unlocking Unlimited, that is.

So, how do you explain -

Spoiler

The girl you finish Extra with meets you first in Unlimited - runs into you playing volleyball at lunch.  Additionally, there is a training scene that will be either Meiya or Kei, depending on which was last completed in Extra before you start Unlimited.

It picks up who you last finished with from somewhere.

I don't ever recall such a feature being mentioned in the past.

3 minutes ago, Mkilbride said:

hmmmm ok I mean that's kind of what I wanted to know was if unlimited was truly a separate game, although it kind of seems bizarre to me that if stuff that you do in extra doesn't carry over. Really I thought if you lets say do a Meiya route in extra I wanted to know if you'd go into unlimited in a relationship with her. Now keep in mind I don't know the endings to extra and I've never played a squeal to a VN either, plus judging from others peoples responses its sounds like spoilerish territory so I won't prob much more on that.

Also with the steam version do you have to beat extra to unlock unlimited? I'm asking because I don't have the steam version right now but I do have a well lets say another version I downloaded but never played from a long time ago and I was going to play extra on that since I'm impatient lol, and just play unlimited when I buy it off of steam later.(waiting for 18+ patch since I despise censored games)

Unlimited comes unlocked from default in Steams release. The default release, it's unlocked until you beat Meiya & Sumika's routes.

On 7/24/2016 at 4:53 PM, Mkilbride said:

I don't ever recall such a feature being mentioned in the past.

Do it.  Load up an Ayamine Extra save and watch its end.  Then start a NEW Unlimited game.  You'll see it.

Spoiler

Specifically, Ayamine will knock you down when Yuuko is first walking you onto the base after she gets you out of jail.  Later she will give you hand-to-hand combat instruction instead of Meiya's sword training (or perhaps in addition to - have to play it again that way myself to be certain).

[edit] - it's in addition to.  Ayamine's session is right after the firing range if you do her or Chizuru's line (maybe Tama's too - have to check).

I noticed it when I started playing through the other girls' routes.  I finished Meiya through both in sequence, then went back and started on other girls.

[Edit] Nevermind - just made one.  Clipped it pretty tight, and ctrl-skipped through stuff so pretty spoiler-light except for the combat training scene - bumped through that pretty quick too, though, for brevity's sake.

Spoiler

So there you have it.

Edited by rlranft