Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rlranft

Cross-genre thoughts

4 posts in this topic

Man, this would be a great setting for a Heavy Gear-like mech game.  Most mech combat games are just about human wars, it'd be cool to see one that was more "defend humanity" than "for the Empire!"

Edited by rlranft

@rlranftAbout the closest we have there is the newest earth defense and probably warhammer 40k

The creator of dark souls has also talked about how he would love to make a mecha version of dark souls but that's pretty much it unfortunately.

There's nothing like heavy-gear/armored core though so tsf forefront would have been a first.

Edited by StormVanguard

I've played at game dev myself and I'd like to try my hand at it, really.  But I'll tell you what the real hurdle is: content.  Need models, skinned, rigged, and animated - that's a ton of work right there.  Sound effects, visual effects (people don't even realize how much effort goes into making good particle effects), just so much work....  It would be cool, though.  Sadly, art isn't my thing - I'm a programmer.  I know how to do the other parts, I'm just absolutely terrible at them.  I mean, I've used 3D Studio MAX, various audio production tools, Photoshop, and I can actually do that stuff, but it's always terrible.  So, it'll never happen.

This is as far as I've gotten with making an actual game so far, not Muv Luv or mecha related though - http://www.roostertailgames.com/downloads/DBArena.exe

There are numerous bugs - you can leave the arena through the goals or the spawn areas, for one, and it crashes occasionally (still tracking that down).  Might have to fiddle with your UAC settings to download an executable, or I can rename it for download if anyone wants.  It's technically a multiplayer game but the bots are ornery enough to keep you on your toes.

It's made using the now MIT licensed Torque 3D game engine if anyone's interested in that.  The engine is outdated but it's nice for prototyping (assuming you're familiar with it - it's a serious frigid bitch otherwise).  I think that if I could get models rigged and exported for use with UE4 (though Torque 3D would be faster for prototyping) I could probably make a decent start on a prototype Muv Luv mecha title along the lines of Heavy Gear.

[EDIT]

Additional notes:  If you install that you should probably place it somewhere outside of the Program Files or Program Files (x86) folders since it writes its preferences and log files in the executable folder and most systems after Vista are set up to disallow writing to those folders.

It should be compatible with all versions of Windows XP and later... should be....

Edited by rlranft

1 person likes this