IAmAHero

Will Total Eclipse ever see the light of day?

22 posts in this topic

That's fan translation.  This is an Official forum.

The anime from what I heard pretty much adapted the VN perfectly, so probably why interest ended up being so low.

8 minutes ago, Mkilbride said:

The anime from what I heard pretty much adapted the VN perfectly, so probably why interest ended up being so low.

The anime adapted most of the Light Novel's content (which is the source material), but only half of the visual novel. Some crucial parts come only in the second half of the VN.

Edited by Svenhent

5 minutes ago, Mkilbride said:

That's fan translation.  This is an Official forum.

Last I checked, isn't Alternative Projects working with the Muv-Luv Team?

Eh, even if it was adapted well I still think it would be cool to see the VN, however I can see why if no one wants to finish it for that reason.

Just now, IAmAHero said:

Last I checked, isn't Alternative Projects working with the Muv-Luv Team?

Since TE's fan translation isn't part of the current official localization, I think it's better not to ask about this here since it's more of a separate independent project.

3 minutes ago, Svenhent said:

The anime adapted most of the Light Novel's content (which is the source material), but only half of the visual novel. Some crucial parts come only in the second half of the VN.

Yeah, the VN came later. I mean it'd be nice...but the last time they updated their website was like a year ago, @ 25%.  Right around the time the Muv Luv KS went up and succeeded. I'm sure it changed their minds.

Just now, Mkilbride said:

Yeah, the VN came later. I mean it'd be nice...but the last time they updated their website was like a year ago, @ 25%.  Right around the time the Muv Luv KS went up and succeeded. I'm sure it changed their minds.

Yeah, just thought of clarifying to OP in terms of content since you phrased it as "adapted perfectly".

Well, the team is occupied with current projects so it'll probably be some time before they will give update on TE. Still something we can hope for I guess xD

My personal desires are this:

A 13-episode Muv Luv Extra Adaption. A 13 episode Muv Luv Unlimited Adaption. A 26 episode Muv Luv Alternative Adaption. (Anime).  All with the quality of like ufotable(F/SN Animes / Kara no Kyoukai). It'd be a massive undertaking, wildly expensive, but it's the only way I could see them ever being properly adapted to anime .

@MkilbrideSo quite literally how Kouki wishes to adapt all of Muv-Luv and the only way he wishes to adapt it the only difference being is he wants two movies of Alternative.

Personally i think Whitefox are the guys for the job they're the best as far as i'm considered at adapting Vn's/ln's. Steins;gate/Utawarerumono and Re:Zero being great examples.

While they haven't shown much mecha they have shown they're capable of animating such.

@IAmAHeroPersonally with Teito Muyo prologue being greenlit i'm suspicious on this. I just have a feeling this project went in the dark.

Edited by StormVanguard

Two movies? Like what? Two 90 minute movies or something?  I'd still prefer it as a 26 episode anime for Alternative. There is A LOT to get through and 2 movies...ehh.  A anime version would be 572 minutes of ability to adapt Alternative. Or roughly 9.5 hours. That's taking a 50+ hour VN and sharpening it down to 10. (Let's say they throw in a double feature type episode), that's entirely doable, without having to read or explain everything as you do in a VN, 10 hours could get most everything across.

Meanwhile, two 90 minute movies...3 hours? That'd be pushing it. Utwaremono has a great anime adaption, 26 episodes, but it still lost quite abit..and I'd say Alternative is longer(If we're talking taking out Utawares combat time.)  Even if they're 2 hour movies, that's still...4 hours to compress a 50+ hour book into.  Alternative by itself is longer than Lord of the Rings (Word wise), and that got like 3, 3 hour movies, and -still- cut huge chunks of the story out.

@MkilbrideNo.. what i mean is 26 episodes plus two movies. Kouki is pretty much like ZUN the creator of Touhou when it comes to Muv-Luv, he won't let it be adapted unless it's exactly the way he wants it.

Ahh ok.  Hmm. Two movies and a 26 episode anime? I mean...that seems excessive. A 26 episode anime with only including the best filler parts of Alternative in it, I think would be enough. 52 episodes of anime + 2 movies...well I won't say no, but he's talking an incredibly expensive undertaking there. I hope it happens.

I loved Total Eclipse, though it never felt as intense as Alternative.

@Mkilbridehe might have it planned to show everything going on outside of the base in Unlimited/Alternative to make for a better viewing experience. And the two movies would at least cover Yokohoma invasion/Operation Ouka is my guess but it would be possible for Sadogashima to fit in as well.

Edited by StormVanguard

Just as long as they have the budget to keep animation consistent.  VN animes often have issues with inconsistent animation. Really good one second, fucking AWFUL the next.  This is due to budget concerns...I just want consistent quality across the board. It's one of the reasons I love how Type Moon has handled their adaptions. They had that initial 2006 adaption that was pretty...meh at best, but after that they took it to heart and only use the highest quality animation for their adaptions and it shows, in the incredible art and animation. Some of the best in the industry.  Sadly ML isn't as big as Type-Moon is, so I doubt we'd see that, but a man can dream...

@MkilbrideSomehow Kouki knows a lot of big names to make something like Unlimited/Alternative happen so i wouldn't count this out of the picture when someone like Yoshinari Kou did the cutscenes. https://sakuga.yshi.org/post?tags=kou_yoshinari

I like to think if the anime ever gets an adaptation he'll gather his ideal staff again.

Edited by StormVanguard

Yeah, Total Eclipse (the anime) is what dragged me in here.... and it was only half-done!  Damn it.... <kickin' cans back to the couch>

Edited by rlranft

Huh, now I'd like to see what the heck Yuuya was doing AWOL....

Anyway, it was obvious that they stopped in the middle and it was really annoying to find that they never adapted the rest.

Edited by rlranft

Don't want to be a pessimist or anything, but I would recommend you to not have very high expectations about the 2nd half of TE. It's generally regarded as being amongst the worst in the franchise (which is also the reasons there's not that much noise; even in Japan the VN flopped badly).

22 minutes ago, Marx-93 said:

Don't want to be a pessimist or anything, but I would recommend you to not have very high expectations about the 2nd half of TE. It's generally regarded as being amongst the worst in the franchise (which is also the reasons there's not that much noise; even in Japan the VN flopped badly).

Yeah, I agree. The second half of the plot does have some events/twists that I find "interesting" but overall dissatisfying. Which is why I don't usually recommend people going for it unless they are really hardcore-enthusiastic about the spin-off. Kinda ironic considering my signature is TE.

Edited by Svenhent

That's too bad - I really enjoyed the first half (anime) but never got my hands on either VN.  I'd be interested in seeing the VN for the second half just to see it, and "close it out" so to speak.