Euphoric

Changes to OST / Music licensing problems

71 posts in this topic

Just now, Mkilbride said:

I actually purchased the product on Steam, so I did pay for a product. 

Then you're treated like any other customer. Hell, one could even argue the common consumer is entitled to less information than whoever funded it.

Kickstarter has been a virtual store since it's inception.

No, it has been treated as such by the ignorant consumers. Pledging to a project and gaining a reward based on that pledge is not the same act as purchasing. The only time the term purchase is even made in KS' FAQ is when referring to the creator offering purchased items and claiming to be their own. Kickstarter is more akin to a project specific Patreon with defined rewards for backers.

Selling copies of the game outright is not funding shit. "Pay 25$ to get a cheap copy of the game" not "give 25$ so this game can be made" - Just like people who bought physical products.

Again; you gain a reward based on your pledge, you do not purchase anything. Creators do not sell anything through Kickstarter.

3 people like this

It's been treated so by developers.  YEs, creators do use Kickstarter to sell. You're not that naive, are you? I've been on KS since the start. It started as crowd-funding, but it quickly became a virtual storefont to pre-sell games.  That's all creators treat it as these days.

13 minutes ago, Mkilbride said:

It's been treated so by developers... YEs, creators do use Kickstarter to sell.

No, it is being treated as a platform to realize an idea and to gain funding for a project otherwise would not see backing from whatever industry they're in.

I've been on KS since the start. It started as crowd-funding, but it quickly became a virtual storefont to pre-sell games.  That's all creators treat it as these days.

Don't delude yourself here, mate. While the methods may seem similar on the surface, it's neither a storefront nor pre-selling. Refer to their FAQ linked previously. If they're selling something, it's the idea of something. Furthermore, if they were a storefront and were pre-selling, each "purchase" should be final, but as nothing like that comes from pledging if the campaign fails, nobody is purchasing and selling. Let's quote Kickstarter's own statement from Kickstarter 101;

Kickstarter is a funding platform for creative projects. 

Furthermore,

Rewards are a creator's chance to share a piece of their project with their backer community. Typically, these are one-of-a-kind experiences, limited editions, or copies of the creative work being produced.

To further emphasize, on the surface it may seem similar to pre-ordering, but that is barely skin deep. At least with e.g. game pre-purchases you are putting money down to buy a product that has a definitive release date and is under development. With Kickstarter, more often than you not you barely even have a prototype. In addition, difference is that your money is not used to develop that product as the funding has been already realised.

On 18.7.2016 at 8:23 PM, Mkilbride said:

..you can see the fan translation and the Official translation have a 94.7% likeness rating.

I'm still waiting for that citation on this.

2 people like this

4 hours ago, Mkilbride said:

It's been treated so by developers.  YEs, creators do use Kickstarter to sell. You're not that naive, are you? I've been on KS since the start. It started as crowd-funding, but it quickly became a virtual storefont to pre-sell games.  That's all creators treat it as these days.

"All creators" huh? No offence, but I would be rather impressed if you really went through every creators' projects to be able to come to this conclusion.

On 7/18/2016 at 1:23 AM, Mkilbride said:

... and using a text comparison machine, you can see the fan translation and the Official translation have a 94.7% likeness rating.  So it's not like they did a massive overhaul, either. They did touch it up and polish it, but seriously.

I'd been avoiding nitpicking on this bold statement, but seemingly you have been skipping any response towards this inquiry numerous times since it's being brought up. I think few of us here are rather keen on hearing out your justification, considering you manage to narrow down to 0.1% accuracy on your comparison.

1 person likes this

I only brought up the "similarity case" because it's quite insulting to the developers if the accusation is false. The whole "we only see the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the finished product and not the massive chunk beneath the surface" analogy.

I won't ask for your source another time, because it seems likely to me that you got caught up with emotion and typed that without really thinking about it. If you made up that number, and if it is indeed false, you owe the developers a private apology at least.

10 hours ago, Aalt said:

And yet you spell it incorrectly.

While I may not agree with all his positions, I don't think it's productive to nitpick a small typo. Especially not while you're in the middle of making so many good arguments.

On 7/18/2016 at 7:47 PM, The Muv-Luv Team said:

I'm curious where you got that 94.7% number.

On 7/18/2016 at 3:46 PM, Jawer said:

i would strongly suggest reading it side by side to get a better sense of the work that was done to the script. I'll try to elaborate on this ,on a seperate post, once i'm off work  

On 7/18/2016 at 5:58 PM, David said:

Source on that likeness rating?

22 hours ago, David said:

So... do you have a source for that number?

10 hours ago, Aalt said:

I'm still waiting for that citation on this.

6 hours ago, Svenhent said:

I think few of us here are rather keen on hearing out your justification, considering you manage to narrow down to 0.1% accuracy on your comparison.

Still waiting.

Edited by StormVanguard

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, David said:

While I may not agree with all his positions, I don't think it's productive to nitpick a small typo. Especially not while you're in the middle of making so many good arguments.

Don't take it as a nitpick, it's a consistent misspelling on his part. Not a small typo. Then again, I am a prick when it comes to things like this, it's a sort of pet peeve of mine. Furthermore, most of this discussion has been far from productive, especially after the staff's reply. The issue is currently solved as is despite peoples' feelings about it, there should be no reason to cry over split milk.

1 person likes this

@Aalt Sorry to keep this going but what did he misspell? I'm dyslexic so while I usually can get the gist of what I'm reading if given enough time, I still struggle noticing typos and misspellings (even more so for my own writing).

It's officially Muv-Luv with a hyphen. To be fair, Degica themselves have spelled it Muv Luv a few times.

1 person likes this

Oh okay, thanks. I guess I can see why Aalt would find it annoying, (everyone has pet peeves) but I don't really think leaving out the hyphen correlates with how much Mkilbride actually cares about muv luv Muv-Luv* (:P). On a half separate note I'm also interested to see how @Mkilbrideworked out the likeness rating, if for no other reason than I'm interested how he managed to extract the script from the game.

@Tits_McgruffTakes me awhile to formulate my thoughts coming up with the words i desire myself hence why i edit so much. Sometimes i end up messing up a word or two but i wouldn't read too much into something like that, i get the impression KimiGuy is pretty chill.

Edited by StormVanguard

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, Tits_Mcgruff said:

@Aalt Sorry to keep this going but what did he misspell? I'm dyslexic so while I usually can get the gist of what I'm reading if given enough time, I still struggle noticing typos and misspellings (even more so for my own writing).

I have a disposition for slight dyslexia as well, so I feel for you bro. One could argue that it should be all caps too, but that'd be just silly.

17 hours ago, Discalibur said:

To be fair, Degica themselves have spelled it Muv Luv a few times.

Which most likely stems from English fandom that misspells it here and there. It's a bit like how comic fans tend to misspell Spider-Man on an occasion, or how Mega Man has so many variations because not even CoA could remember to double check how it went.

But this is completely off the topic from my end.

Edited by Aalt

2 people like this

Soo...

Having read all this thread just today I think the main conclusions I get are:

• Some tracks had to be switched because that's what is routinely done whenever you remake and HD-port anything.
  • Some people are mad about it
  • Some people also seem to have suffered what seemed like a very strange prank
  • Someone also doesn't know how to use text comparison machines
  • Degica did too many nice things for us and so now it doesn't have much money (or as I like to think of it; Degica is a friend desperately trying to get out of our friend-zone. "Sorry degica, thanks for the Sumika figma, but can we continue as friends? I don't really like fighting games...")

I got everything right?

Edited by Marx-93

Degica: But we don't just publish only fighting games ;A; Come back to us Marx-93-kun. We have enough waifus for laifus.

8 people like this

I'm okay with being stuck in the childhood friend route.  Let's just try not to unlock the yandere bad ending.

@Marx-93Literally 'one song.' And it was a smart choice on their part that i don't want them to pursue any further.

Other than that yes.

Edited by StormVanguard

On 7/25/2016 at 8:49 PM, Aalt said:

Furthermore, most of this discussion has been far from productive, especially after the staff's reply. The issue is currently solved as is despite peoples' feelings about it, there should be no reason to cry over split milk.

Don't misunderstand, I fully support the posts and arguments you've made, however I'm just saying that small bit of criticism was not necessary (and partly unfair towards mkilbride).

But meh, everyone has pet-peeves, even I have some that annoy the people around me all the time, so it's not that big of a deal.

Edited by David

1 hour ago, David said:

I'm just saying that small bit of criticism was not necessary (and partly unfair towards mkilbride).

I would hope I were to be criticised and corrected on a misspelling, especially if i were making it constantly. Whether or not it was unfair weight nil on my scales.

I'm going to (needlessly) weigh in here - I really don't like any of Ricky Martin's music and I'm actually relieved that there now is not even a parody version of his stuff in here.

That said - the developers already said "there are license issues with this in Japan" so I would assume that they made the choice based on existing problems, not because of potential ones.

And finally, if lack of this one song will make you hate the game then perhaps you should just buy a couple of Ricky Martin albums instead.  I mean, I like the music from many of the games I've played, but ordinarily I buy a game for more than "that one song that is in the soundtrack...."

1 person likes this