Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PvtKos

Changed ost

37 posts in this topic

I've got a question for you. First of all I must confess that I did not finish the Muv-luv Extra on Steam yet. I am on my way to do this but I've noticed some changes. Most of them are really great like menu and other things. One thing didn't agree with me - I mean the music in the background. In the original there was a ost called Warudakumi. 

Here you go if you don't know it by name. It was played during the scene in which Meiya tells Takeru and Sumika about her pact with his dad and all and during Wraith Rangers scene during the date with Sumika (they were named 'Race Rangers' in the fan trasnaltion). What happened to that soundtrack? Was it deleted from the game? If that's the case then it's pretty sad because I loved it... Is there any chance of putting it back there? I know it may sound ridiculous but still I just want to hear some explanation from the dev team. 

And anyhow I am grateful to you for bringing Muv-Luv to Steam ;)

yeah was suprized this song was taken out but honestly considering how close it sounds to Livin La Vida Loca I'm not suprized it was taken out to avoid a copyright suit.

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, PvtKos said:

I've got a question for you. First of all I must confess that I did not finish the Muv-luv Extra on Steam yet. I am on my way to do this but I've noticed some changes. Most of them are really great like menu and other things. One thing didn't agree with me - I mean the music in the background. In the original there was a ost called Warudakumi.

It more annoys me how the new ost isn't even a spiritual successor, it just sounds like it's more 'there' than anything else and it's used so often that it ends up sounding like it has over stayed its welcome it just sounds far too different compared to the original composition of the complete ost. The second track i wouldn't have issues with if it didn't fade and loop entirely too soon, the cool thing about the sound track is it was always consistent and continued to provide it didn't sound like a track was just slapped on rather than it was MEANT to be placed in this exact location and sometimes the track would even play at just the right amount of time while reading that when you reach the next track it was PERFECT.

The new ost replacing Warudakumi i think should be played 2 times at most, the great thing about the complete ost is it covers a wide range of emotional impact every track has its own purpose and can even be used in ways they haven't before. Again frankly this new track just sounds lifeless and like a constant reminder of what once was there which is why i believe so many can't ignore it and continue to focus on it because it's jarring.

Again i'm okay with this being the end result with Muv-Luv because I view it more as an experiment but AGE and Degica really needs to huddle together and make Alternative even better than it was rather than take away from the overall experience.

19 hours ago, PvtKos said:

and during Wraith Rangers scene during the date with Sumika (they were named 'Race Rangers' in the fan translation).

If the new track plays during this scene i'm not gonna be a happy camper.

I still have only finished the Extra Ayamine route and probably in an hour unlimited will be cleared.

Edited by StormVanguard

Hi, just putting my thoughts here.

I believe the main reason it was taken out, was due to the fact we'd like to NOT get sued by Ricky Martin :)

We apologize that you think  Extra/Unlimited Steam version is unfaithful to the original experience, but in order to get the game on Steam in general there needs to be changes made unfortunately.

3 people like this

Yeah, this is one change that I can understand, unfotunate as it is.  The original song was a direct rip of Vida Loca and would likely open Degica and Age to copyright issues.

Can't be too difficult to get the song modded back in via a third party, though, probably.

3 hours ago, Hirei said:

Apologies that you think all the work we did on Extra/Unlimited is subpar and not faithful to the original experience

I don't think passive aggression is the right way to address customer feedback here.. No one said that all of the work you put into Extra/Unlimited is subpar.

1 person likes this

@tBanzai@MkilbrideI was not intending to be passive aggressive but addressing what several backer stated, "  Again i'm okay with this being the end result with Muv-Luv because I view it more as an experiment but AGE and Degica really needs to huddle together and make Alternative even better than it was rather than take away from the overall experience. "

If this offended anyone I apologize as that was not intended, but also as a blanket statement as I've noticed several people voice their concerns as they think that the changes made mar the experience. I am just as much of a fan of the series as anyone else is and I can understand that changes made to something that you love can result in these types of discussions.

@Mkilbride Also I'm not a guy sadly.

3 people like this

5 minutes ago, Mkilbride said:

He's super passive aggressive on Fuwa too.

If you see is an apologetic message as aggressive, I don't even want to know you would see as outright hateful.

Edited by Aalt

3 people like this

As Hirei has previously said, the song was removed due to legal issues that would've likely arisen had it been included along with this release.

This wasn't something that was ever negotiable, and it wasn't a decision that came from Degica, but rather ixtl themselves. Most people are in agreement that it's a shame it had to be removed, myself included - but them's the breaks. Licensing is expensive, and sometimes you have to make sacrifices.

24 minutes ago, tBanzai said:

I don't think passive aggression is the right way to address customer feedback here.. No one said that all of the work you put into Extra/Unlimited is subpar.

22 minutes ago, Mkilbride said:

He's super passive aggressive on Fuwa too.

That's an apology, not a passive aggressive comment. Read it in context

3 people like this

48 minutes ago, Aalt said:

If you see is an apologetic message as aggressive, I don't even want to know you would see as outright hateful.

Let's be nice to each other....

2 people like this

Wow that escalated quickly :/

I understand the need to remove that as unfortunate as it is. I just wanted to confirm the reason why. Thanks for all the answers and once again great job bringing Muv-Luv series back to life :) I honestly think that you have done a magnificent job :D 

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Hirei said:

Hi, just putting my thoughts here.

I believe the main reason it was taken out, was due to the fact we'd like to NOT get sued by Ricky Martin :)

Apologies that you think all the work we did on Extra/Unlimited is subpar and not faithful to the original experience, but in order to get the game on Steam in general there needs to be changes made unfortunately.

Miscommunication and misinterpretation of intentions is always a possibility over written messages, especially during stressful times such as negative feedback on day 1 of the release of a project. That being said, the only issue with your post imo is the phrase "all the work" since it can have multiple interpretations depending on the reader. For example, if you replaced it with "Steam release of Extra/Unlimited" and replaced the negative phrases (not faithful to unfaithful) you get a different tone (even though the message remains largely the same):

We apologize if you think the steam release of Extra/Unlimited is subpar and unfaithful to the original experience, but in order to get the game on Steam in general there needs to be changes made unfortunately.

I don't mean to give a grammar lesson here, tell you how to do your job or criticize you (and I'm sorry if I come across that way), this is just a bad hobby of mine and I just don't know when to stop sometimes :/

And if I stepped out of line here feel free to delete this post

Edited by David
redundant message

2 people like this

No worries no need to delete it. I did indeed mean the Steam port. I edited the post for clarity as per the suggestion. Thank you.

That said I meant no personal bias when representing Degica and no aggression was intended. It's just a real pity that my words were oftentimes misinterpreted as such.

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, Hirei said:

@tBanzai@MkilbrideI was not intending to be passive aggressive but addressing what several backer stated, "  Again i'm okay with this being the end result with Muv-Luv because I view it more as an experiment but AGE and Degica really needs to huddle together and make Alternative even better than it was rather than take away from the overall experience. "

If this offended anyone I apologize as that was not intended, but also as a blanket statement as I've noticed several people voice their concerns as they think that the changes made mar the experience. I am just as much of a fan of the series as anyone else is and I can understand that changes made to something that you love can result in these types of discussions.

The words " rather than take away from the overall experience" was rather careless of me and i didn't consider the full weight behind them.

First off allow me to remind Degica's staff how impressed and quite frankly moved i have been with their communication with the community and damage control you guy's are quite frankly the best of the best and i have never gotten service like this with any other company and that alone makes my pledge of 300$ entirely worth it. The last thing i want the community or myself is to make any of you feel alienated because quite frankly you guy's have been nothing but patient and continue to provide while still trying to find ways to make us happy and seeing that alone makes me wish to express that gratitude so every one of you still feel welcomed and appreciated for your hard work.

This is a bit off topic but i will cover this in a thread covering both positive and negative once i finish reading all routes. Age's new engine and Evan i feel a bit disappointed regarding my expectations, specifically with mainly Ayamine's script and somewhat Takeru's i don't feel they provide the original experience as advertised and more detract from the humor along with the overuse of the first ost and the length of the second. Pretty much the humor takes a hit while everything else is solid.

However.. i'm completely understanding on the track Warudakumi being removed and more prefer Degica would do this and concentrate on keeping more realistic options such as gunbuster/big o and it also sounds like the starship troopers pastiches will remain untouched as well which i'm very happy about. Just more or less my gripe is the following and regarding osts this is more centered on the placements and use of these new osts.

Sorry if the staff of Degica is feeling overwhelmed and disappointed from the communities input and i didn't mean for anyone to feel there was any hostile feelings directed towards the company itself as far as i'm concerned you've all proven yourself to be akin to family with the community itself.

Edited by StormVanguard

2 people like this

2 hours ago, StormVanguard said:

This is a bit off topic but i will cover this in a thread covering both positive and negative once i finish reading all routes. Age's new engine and Evan in general i feel a bit betrayed on my expectations, specifically with mainly Ayamine's script and somewhat Takeru's i don't feel they provide the original experience as advertised and more detract from that along with the overuse of the first ost and the length of the second.

From what I've listened to, the new script is more faithful to the original Japanese script; it's more likely the "original experience" of the fan translation actually sticks less to the original Japanese experience than the Steam version does. Just because your first experience with the script may have been the fan translation, doesn't mean it's actually the way it's supposed to be, even though for many people their first experience with a story is what they'll always consider "right.". 

As someone who mostly understands spoken Japanese (never quite put in enough time for kanji, so my reading level isn't as good), I can say that the old script did have a number of points where I found the translation a bit off. I haven't gotten around to Ayamine's route yet, but what I've gone through so far does seem more in line with what the characters are saying. 

1 hour ago, Aalt said:

What a godawful post, who the hell writes this trite as a blog?

Looks at post.

Looks at blog.

Looks at user name of poster.

Looks at author name of blog.

Yeah, you're right.  Absolute garbage.

Edited by Scars Unseen

15 minutes ago, Scars Unseen said:

Looks at post.

Quality shit post 10/10

Almost as great as cutting two waifus in half and then stitching them back together. 

Just now, Randomacts said:

Almost as great as cutting two waifus in half and then stitching them back together.

Better than killing another Khal?

1 minute ago, Scars Unseen said:

Better than killing another Khal?

Well killing another Khal is just a Tuesday. A great Tuesday, but still a Tuesday. 

So yes it is.

Edit: We should prob not derail this thread anymore.

ONTOPIC:  Honestly I kind of like the song that replaced it... It might actually be more fitting... I mean it is sad to see it gone.. but... *shrug* at least it was a good replacement.

Edited by Randomacts

5 hours ago, oobie10 said:

From what I've listened to, the new script is more faithful to the original Japanese script; it's more likely the "original experience" of the fan translation actually sticks less to the original Japanese experience than the Steam version does. Just because your first experience with the script may have been the fan translation, doesn't mean it's actually the way it's supposed to be, even though for many people their first experience with a story is what they'll always consider "right.". 

As someone who mostly understands spoken Japanese (never quite put in enough time for kanji, so my reading level isn't as good), I can say that the old script did have a number of points where I found the translation a bit off. I haven't gotten around to Ayamine's route yet, but what I've gone through so far does seem more in line with what the characters are saying. 

Spoiler

Having read Muv-Luv now three times i can tell you it's not because it was the fan translation and i'm aware of how broken Extra and Unlimiteds script was overall in comparison.

I apologize you had to reply to that and edited my post to better reflect my actual opinion.

But my gripe is pretty much reflected on the humor specifically the characters Takeru & Ayamine while the script overall is solid everywhere else.

I could have an argument towards this such as my issue is more weighed on the clear westernization and improvision on the scripts comedy regarding the characters mentioned but quite frankly after taking a stroll around 4ch and further on the threads of the forums i honestly don't care anymore.

The most you'll get from me is suggestions and feedback since Degica and the translators have enough on their plates and they've been nothing but supporting and loving which is more than enough for me.

Also regarding Evan i feel his attention and devotion is more weighed on Kimi ga nozomu eien which makes me feel rather bipolar on these improvisions and differences.

That being said i value my relationship with Degica and the translators outweighs these problems.

I mean when they're willing to pass out twizzlers in dark humor that pretty much say's it all. Best fanbase ever. xD

5 hours ago, Aalt said:

What a godawful post, who the hell writes this trite as a blog?

Thanks for that KimiGuy, you've been a godsent from the moment you joined the community. xD

As usual most of the fault weighs on ixtl, it's scary what an overwhelming passion can do giving you tunnel vision looking for someone to blame but the fact of the matter is Degica just relays our opinions and questions and handles the translation for the client. Thank you for pointing this out. Degica really does deserve better than us and i feel like us the community could be the downfall of something that could be great and that's a rather scary thought.

Edited by StormVanguard

I don't blame them for changing the OST. Lawsuits from record companies are extremely likely, and if someone is arrested due to piracy, it's usually for music.

It would be nice for there to be an unofficial steam mod or something though, but until then, I can deal with it.

21 hours ago, Hirei said:

No worries no need to delete it. I did indeed mean the Steam port. I edited the post for clarity as per the suggestion. Thank you.

That said I meant no personal bias when representing Degica and no aggression was intended. It's just a real pity that my words were oftentimes misinterpreted as such.

If it's any consolidation, the other day I got told that I'm a condescending asshole in response to some feedback/advise I had for some guy. I asked around and sure enough, it turns out everyone thought I was a big time asshole ¬¬. The issue was never with what I said, but rather how I said it. Ever since then I've been double checking my words to make sure I don't accidentally insult someone again. It's a major pain in the ass, but from my experience, it's something that will happen regardless of your intent and the best thing to do is to own up to your mistake (like you did in this thread) and live with it.

And since this is related, regarding lawsuits, how can South Park pretty much rip off a popular song without fear of legal action?

For example, this is the original song

And this is the parody which was aired

It's a direct parody/ripoff but South Park never got sued.