Connor Krammer

Muv-Luv Feedback

488 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, Mkilbride said:

Where is the Read Speed option? 

Why doesn't the new release have this ability / option?

Because age removed this from their games years ago and they have no interest in re-implementing it. Nothing to be done

1 hour ago, Mkilbride said:

Also, why can't ALT + Enter full screen it? Why do I have to enter the options for that? most VNs, including the original, you hit ALT + F4, it full screens it. I like to switch between full screen and windowed, depending on what I'm doing and this creates alot of clicking a person shouldn't have to do.

Alt + Enter does full screen the application. If it doesn't for you, that's a problem on your end. (also I'm gonna go ahead and assume that you saying Alt+F4 to full-screen the old version is a typo or a really shitty troll attempt)

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Mkilbride said:

You know, something was bugging me about the text, and I just figured out.

Where is the Read Speed option? I can't find one. Whenever I click, all the text is displayed at once. Like BOOM. If I click again, it moves to the next page.  The original Novel had a speed setting for text to slowly fade in, which made it more readable.  This just bumps it all at once.

Hey, Mkilbride. That was actually how the text worked in the original Alternative, as well. Since the original PC release, the feature has been made consistent across all parts of the series.
As Suffolk mentions, it's also how the text functions in other age games.

23 minutes ago, Suffolk said:

Because age removed this from their games years ago and they have no interest in re-implementing it. Nothing to be done

Alt + Enter does full screen the application. If it doesn't for you, that's a problem on your end. (also I'm gonna go ahead and assume that you saying Alt+F4 to full-screen the old version is a typo or a really shitty troll attempt)

Type. I said ALT + Enter first, wasn't fully paying attention. I don't know how it's on my end. It works for me in every other VN I have or game really.

And I literally posted a video showcasing how the text worked in Extra / Unlimited. I'm asking why we can't have that option here.

Edited by Mkilbride

6 minutes ago, Mkilbride said:

Type. I said ALT + Enter first, wasn't fully paying attention. I don't know how it's on my end. It works for me in every other VN I have or game really.

And I literally posted a video showcasing how the text worked in Extra / Unlimited. I'm asking why we can't have that option here.

Well, I haven't seen any other complaints about it not working (admittedly I haven't actually looked), so it's either a bug that only arises under a very specific set of conditions, or it's on your end. If you have some way of replicating it on another device (or get someone else to), then that would help. 

I just told you, âge/ixtl removed the feature years ago and they have no interest in re-implementing it whatsoever. This has been a subject of complaint on Japanese boards as well. The last game that supported this function was (I believe) the 2008 KimiNozo Latest Edition. The engine has undergone multiple revisions since then, and for whatever reason they deemed scrolling text no longer necessary. The dialogue scripts contain more than just speech/narrative, there are numerous control characters (that control things like text pauses etc) that are a pain to work with when dealing with variable-speed scrolling text. It is for this reason that I assume they removed the feature, and it's not something that will be coming back anytime soon, unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Suffolk said:

Well, I haven't seen any other complaints about it not working (admittedly I haven't actually looked), so it's either a bug that only arises under a very specific set of conditions, or it's on your end. If you have some way of replicating it on another device (or get someone else to), then that would help. 

I just told you, âge/ixtl removed the feature years ago and they have no interest in re-implementing it whatsoever. This has been a subject of complaint on Japanese boards as well. The last game that supported this function was (I believe) the 2008 KimiNozo Latest Edition. The engine has undergone multiple revisions since then, and for whatever reason they deemed scrolling text no longer necessary. The dialogue scripts contain more than just speech/narrative, there are numerous control characters (that control things like text pauses etc) that are a pain to work with when dealing with variable-speed scrolling text. It is for this reason that I assume they removed the feature, and it's not something that will be coming back anytime soon, unfortunately.

official dev here confirming this is the reason. sad but true. every re-release of ML since has not included it, and likely will never. we've submitted a lot of requests during development and are still sending feedback, but i -highly- doubt this will ever return.

2 people like this

13 minutes ago, evan said:

official dev here confirming this is the reason. sad but true. every re-release of ML since has not included it, and likely will never. we've submitted a lot of requests during development and are still sending feedback, but i -highly- doubt this will ever return.

Oi Somebody needs to get you a dev rank or something or we will mistake you for some scrub ;)

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Mkilbride said:

It's a shame that such things are missing from the new version.

It's a shame we have such other extra content in the new version.

10 minutes ago, Messiah said:

It's a shame we have such other extra content in the new version.

Can we get a list? I don't care about the missing sex scenes, but I keep hearing we got "new content" to make up for it, but nobody says what.

* Also don't want this taken as aggressive or confrontational, it's just nobody has been able to tell me.

Edited by Mkilbride

Just now, Mkilbride said:

Can we get a list? I don't care about the missing sex scenes, but I keep hearing we got "new content" to make up for it, but nobody says what.

I'm pretty sure it is just new (although funnily enough it also is missing some from the old version) animations. Sprites and save features that honestly aren't helpful enough to be better then just the old system + notes imo.

I guess the new gui is considered a feature? Not that I would say that it is good but you don't see it much anyways.

..... I can't actually think of anything else besides those that we actually gained.. But I'm sure I'm missing something.

It can be somewhat hard to come up with a definite list, because this was based off the PS3 version—and when they produced it, they didn't come up with a list of changes from the original.

On the topic of new content, quite a few of the backgrounds have actually been expanded and corrected of perspective issues. Here's one example:

.eJwNxkEOhCAMAMC_cAcsFot-xhAkaKJAaD1t9u-

.eJwNxksOhCAMANC7sIfyqVS9jCFIwETF0LqazN1

8 minutes ago, Connor Krammer said:

It can be somewhat hard to come up with a definite list, because this was based off the PS3 version—and when they produced it, they didn't come up with a list of changes from the original.
On the topic of new content, quite a few of the backgrounds have actually been expanded and corrected of perspective issues. Here's one example:

Spoiler

.eJwNxkEOhCAMAMC_cAcsFot-xhAkaKJAaD1t9u-

.eJwNxksOhCAMANC7sIfyqVS9jCFIwETF0LqazN1

I was actually wondering this myself, i'm glad the team went through this effort.

Would you mind posting more examples? It would probably help some with the moral around here.

List of things new in official version as opposed to fan translation:

Muv-Luv:

• New all-ages scenes appearing in Eng. for the first time w/new lines and new CGs.
  • Animated mouths and eyes on character sprites
  • Additional scenes added to all versions of UL post-initial release that give further background on the world (e.g. scene explaining Kyozuka's backstory)
  • In-Engine subtitles for anime cutscene and UL ending (as opposed to a .txt file opening on top of the game)
  • Ability to play in both Japanese and English (including images)
  • Autosave functionality, quick suspend for closing and re-opening the application
  • Higher-res sprites and backgrounds
  • Better and more accurate translation (not to toot my own horn, but regardless of your personal preference in localization direction, in terms of translation accuracy, this new release is objectively superior)
  • 2 brand new songs by Schwarzesmarken composer Evan Call (replacing one old one, so I recognize some won't appreciate this)
  • Tablet support w/gestures
  • Jukebox, Theater modes, and a Clear List w/Completion Rate
  • Steam achievements, badges, trading cards, emoticons
  • New ED songs for individual girls' Extra ends & OPs

Muv-Luv Alternative:

• BRAND new CGs funded by the Kickstarter
  • BRAND new English voice acting (in addition to option for hilarious old Engrish VA)
  • New Takeru VA in Primary Objective and other scenes (spectacular, if you have the chance to hear this in the PS3 version, it's unreal. so good.)
  • Plenty more yet to be announced

+ all of the same functional updates/features ML had that apply.

This is just what I can think of off the top of my head. If I remember something else, I'll follow up.

8 people like this

Can you give us example of the new CG's then? As for Takeru's VA, what if you liked his old VA? 

Most of what you listed isn't really new content, but features.  As for the Higher-res sprites and backrounds, I'll debate on that. The images are blurry compared to the original 4:3 ones, I assume it's due to the upscaling & cropping nature.  You see alot of jaggies.

Like can you link to a video or an image of a scene that was not in the original release?

There's also a ton of images that I cleaned / typset professionally into English.

1 minute ago, Hirei said:

There's also a ton of images that I cleaned / typset professionally into English.

Again, that's not new content.  It's old content, just touched up. I'm specifically asking if any new scenes were added. Not a still CG or backround image, but like...say 5 minutes of new Dialogue that add to the story and weren't put in to replace the sex scenes, but actual new content.

41 minutes ago, Mkilbride said:

Can you give us example of the new CG's then? As for Takeru's VA, what if you liked his old VA? 

Most of what you listed isn't really new content, but features.  As for the Higher-res sprites and backrounds, I'll debate on that. The images are blurry compared to the original 4:3 ones, I assume it's due to the upscaling & cropping nature.  You see alot of jaggies.

Like can you link to a video or an image of a scene that was not in the original release?

You misunderstand. He has additional VA, not replacing the old VA. 

There are two examples of all-ages CGs on the Steam page. These scenes include new lines, as said. I just gave an example of an entire scene with Kyozuka that does not appear in the original whatsoever. I do not have a video of it because it is brand new, but it sounds like you don't care about that sort of thing either. 

edit: but here it is anyway.

Occurs on November 3rd, Muv-Luv Unlimited.
starting from: 
...Huh?
【Chizuru】「Oh, Shirogane...」
【Takeru】「...Where's everyone else?」
【Chizuru】「Not here, apparently.」

There are 187 lines of new content, not replacing anything else.

Some brand new Alternative CGs include the following:

Spoiler

IMG_3612.JPGIMG_3616.JPGIMG_3617.JPGIMG_3613.JPG

I'm leaving this topic now because it feels counterproductive at this point, only retreading the same ground over and over again. If you feel the new version fails to live up to your expectations and you'd like a refund on your pledge or Steam purchase, I'd be happy to provide it personally. E-mail me at enjoievan@gmail.com if you're interested.

4 people like this

23 minutes ago, evan said:
  Reveal hidden contents

IMG_3612.JPGIMG_3616.JPGIMG_3617.JPGIMG_3613.JPG

Just to be clear I'm liking the post for the new CGs.

Also, holy crap those look awesome. But part of me is sad now because I don't get to experience the surprise in game (especially the PTSD arc one). So god damn conflicted @_@ (hope there's a lot more new CGs than just these cuz they all look great!)

Spoiler

But what's up with the 3rd image? Why is he threatening extra Yuuko? Or is that supposed to be Alternative Yuuko post the XM3 trials?

Edited by David

@David  :( We hope you enjoy them in game when it comes out regardless.

1 person likes this

52 minutes ago, evan said:

List of things new in official version as opposed to fan translation:

Muv-Luv:

• New all-ages scenes appearing in Eng. for the first time w/new lines and new CGs.
  • Animated mouths and eyes on character sprites
  • Additional scenes added to all versions of UL post-initial release that give further background on the world (e.g. scene explaining Kyozuka's backstory)
  • In-Engine subtitles for anime cutscene and UL ending (as opposed to a .txt file opening on top of the game)
  • Ability to play in both Japanese and English (including images)
  • Autosave functionality, quick suspend for closing and re-opening the application
  • Higher-res sprites and backgrounds
  • Better and more accurate translation (not to toot my own horn, but regardless of your personal preference in localization direction, in terms of translation accuracy, this new release is objectively superior)
  • 2 brand new songs by Schwarzesmarken composer Evan Call (replacing one old one, so I recognize some won't appreciate this)
  • Tablet support w/gestures
  • Jukebox, Theater modes, and a Clear List w/Completion Rate
  • Steam achievements, badges, trading cards, emoticons
  • New ED songs for individual girls' Extra ends & OPs

Muv-Luv Alternative:

• BRAND new CGs funded by the Kickstarter
  • BRAND new English voice acting (in addition to option for hilarious old Engrish VA)
  • New Takeru VA in Primary Objective and other scenes (spectacular, if you have the chance to hear this in the PS3 version, it's unreal. so good.)
  • Plenty more yet to be announced

+ all of the same functional updates/features ML had that apply.

This is just what I can think of off the top of my head. If I remember something else, I'll follow up.

Thank you for this list, I've been looking for something like this for awhile.

On a side note you are actually missing one thing.....

Steam card support :D ...... what... Am I the only one that has been enjoying making ~$10 from steam cards from this game so far? 

Although for alternative it would be nice if you only had ~6 steam cards or so compared to the imo almost cash grabby 15. (Booster packs are always 3 cards even if your game has 15 cards)

3 minutes ago, Randomacts said:

On a side note you are actually missing one thing.....

Evan actually did mention the cards :P

Just now, Connor Krammer said:

Evan actually did mention the cards :P

shit.. the lack of sleep is catching up to me. herp :^)

Edited by Randomacts

1 person likes this

Just now, Randomacts said:

shit.. the lack of sleep is catching up to me. herp :^)

No worries :)

Ho shit, you're right. Just looked at the market. Some stuff is going for 18$!

Going to have to leave this on while I sleep...could make back the cost of the game.

Just now, Connor Krammer said:

No worries :)

On a side note... from what I have been able to gather.. a few of the team members are frustrated by having to deal with the feedback after you guys most likely was perfect. Most people either will always think all of their work is shit or they won't be able to see the flaws due to tunnel vision. And besides expensive Q/A and or lots of beta testing there is nothing you do to avoid this in this industry. 

The good news is though is that I would consider Muv-Luv currently in a soft launch state. .. While sales wise it can be risky to do it this way as it will no longer be a 'new' release you will be able to do your big advertisement or w/e push right before and as Alternative comes out for the 'real' launch.

Until then you guys have time to work on fixing the fixable issues and catch your breath... Most likely you won't get any real sleep until Alternative is out if you are anything like me.. And I don't even work for you guys =p 

Please just try to stay positive and we will try to sort through what are actual fixable things and what is just people complaining about but isn't actually worth the time or money ect to fix. 

:x

so in Chizuru's route after

Spoiler

Akane gets hit and you are back at the school in the entrance hall

and its raining did anyone else notice that its raining inside the building? bug or oversite?