Connor Krammer

Muv-Luv Feedback

489 posts in this topic

You've seen my concerns all over the board, but those have been pretty much alleviated by some blog post from somewhere, so thanks for that.

12 hours ago, jmaisonet said:

There doesn't seem to be a menu that shows the controls in the game and there isn't a manual on the Steam page.

This, however, is a problem, I think.  Even if the controls aren't rebindable (would be AWESOME if that could be made possible), having them listed in game would help the player experience a lot.  I wasn't even aware of there being controls other than the typical VN controls of ctrl for skip, space/enter for moving ahead a line, clicking, etc. til I was directed to the discussion post on the steam community forums.

Edited by tBanzai

On 7/16/2016 at 3:18 PM, Randomacts said:

I'm not sure how much work that would be to do but it would be pretty neat to see. 

They might be better off spending their effort on doing other things first though imo and when they have time looking at doing that. 

Seeing how busy things are at the moment, it seems more realistic to wait for a review from one of the more hardcore fans.

4 hours ago, Mkilbride said:

Also, can we possibly get Controller support? I know the original didn't have it, but the last few years I have gotten used to using controllers in modern VNS. It allows me to sit in my chair and relax, comfortably, leaned back.  Instead of constantly clicking my mouse or hitting enter over and over.  I mean this is the PS3 version, right? Can't we get some Controller support?

? Wasn't there always an auto read function? Why would you need to click or press enter all the time?

Edited by David

a slider instead of just 3 options for adjusting autoread like the old system would be nice.  I'm stuck between fast being too fast and medium being too slow.

1 person likes this

1. Cropped CGs

I believe it is for the best that the native aspect ratio 4:3 be included as an option. While being provided the originals in the gallery is a nice option, I would much rather have the native aspect ratio 4:3 be included instead.

2.  Warudakumi

I agree that removing the song was a wise choice considering how close it sounds to Livin La Vida Loca. That being said, I'm wondering if the developers could contact those who hold the licence to the song and see what can be done. I only ask that an attempt at opening dialog about this be made. Since the song in question has already been removed, there should be no harm in asking.

3. Additional Options in the Client

The addition of additional options and options that were available in previous clients is something I believe to be quite important and always welcome.

1 hour ago, David said:

Seeing how busy things are at the moment, it seems more realistic to wait for a review from one of the more hardcore fans.

? Wasn't there always an auto read function? Why would you need to click or press enter all the time?

Auto-read is not the same. I want the ability to control it at my own pace. It's a quality of life thing. It uses the PS3 version's ENgine, so it should be possible.

3 hours ago, AirPiranha said:

1. Cropped CGs

I believe it is for the best that the native aspect ratio 4:3 be included as an option. While being provided the originals in the gallery is a nice option, I would much rather have the native aspect ratio 4:3 be included instead.

2.  Warudakumi

I agree that removing the song was a wise choice considering how close it sounds to Livin La Vida Loca. That being said, I'm wondering if the developers could contact those who hold the licence to the song and see what can be done. I only ask that an attempt at opening dialog about this be made. Since the song in question has already been removed, there should be no harm in asking.

3. Additional Options in the Client

The addition of additional options and options that were available in previous clients is something I believe to be quite important and always welcome.

1. Cropped Gs - This might be problematic and I don't forsee it happening honestly due to engine restrictions if it were to be done in game. Having them in the gallery is possible And you are saying to have the entire game be presented in 4:3 aspect ration would entail a lot of work/backtracking from the PS3 version we are working with. It would be quite a challenge imo.

2. Ricky Martin is apparently the licence holder and we'd have to pay him to use it. And songs like that can literally bankrupt the funds fast since it's well known.

3. Is there a list of ones you want specifically?

3 hours ago, Mkilbride said:

Auto-read is not the same. I want the ability to control it at my own pace. It's a quality of life thing. It uses the PS3 version's ENgine, so it should be possible.

The auto-read is the PS3 version : FAST, MEDIUM, SLOW.

Yes, and the PS3 version has native controller support.  I'm not complaining about the speed of it.  I'll have to use a third party program for controller support and I find that sad. Oh well.

2 minutes ago, Mkilbride said:

Yes, and the PS3 version has native controller support.  I'm not complaining about the speed of it.  I'll have to use a third party program for controller support and I find that sad. Oh well.

Ah ok, just reading back up I understand what you meant. 

We're looking into if including the uncropped CGs in the gallery is possible. Full 4:3 engine support is more difficult, but we'll be discussing it as an option, depending on how much effort it would take.

On the bright side, though, not all CGs are cropped—there are quite a few expanded graphics, and several have been fixed of perspective/skew issues. In certain scenes the cast also has more room to spread out. Worth looking through the two games side-by-side if you have the time!

Question is, why the fuck where the old settings removed in the first place? Do they think gaijins are too stupid and having many options would confuse them? Is it 'cause it's a lazy port of the PS3 version? Or is 'cause it's a version for modern windows, so it follow modern windows ideology of "make everything bigger and colourfull and reduce the user control"?

Maybe the reason is being a Tablet version, not a PC version.

11 hours ago, Hirei said:

Before anyone posts this, in regards to  Warudakumi. It was mainly replaced due to the fact that it closely resembled a fairly well known song by Ricky Martin. We'd rather not get sued sadly...

When it comes to copyright, only music matters? can the characters be affected too?

2 hours ago, Connor Krammer said:

We're looking into if including the uncropped CGs in the gallery is possible.

If you can do that, there is no need for more complicated things.

Edited by FaceEater

I really wonder how difficult it would be to simply replace the song files by way of mod.  I don't see anything listed as, well, SOUND FILES or anything obvious like that, so it'll probably require cracking or something.

Edited by tBanzai

If there is someone who lives near Ricky Martin they should go out for a drink with him and ask him to allow the use of the music or something hah.

1 person likes this

I'm 100% sure there would be no lawsuit.  It's Muv Luv. It's close, but different enough...and I doubt Ricky would care, it's not like they're making much money at all off of it.

Just now, Mkilbride said:

I'm 100% sure there would be no lawsuit.  It's Muv Luv. It's close, but different enough...and I doubt Ricky would care, it's not like they're making much money at all off of it.

Alas, though the chances aren't incredibly high, any lawsuit would be far too costly to make it worthwhile. It's definitely a shame it had to be removed, but it's unlikely to be put back in again.

That said, we are asking the devs to look into it. Don't count it out as a possibility entirely.

I've read Extra for a few hours and it's quite nice. The new translation do wonders to give a more pleasant reading experience, it was definitely worth it. Good job. 
But here are a few remarks and complain :

-Missing animations/effects : There are a few animations which are missing from the game. For the moment I've only seen Tama's dash effect, now completely gone, and Yuuko's car during the Kiminozo joke which plays wrongly, the car only appears behind Sumika and the whole animation plays way to fast. If I didn't know what happen I may had misunderstand the whole thing. For now this is quite benign but as Alternative TSF scenes heavily relies on this kind of effects, it may reappear then.
-Changed Opening : This is more nitpicking but I was disappointed to see that Sion has replaced Muv-Luv as the opening of Unlimited. The fact that Unlimited's opening used the second verse of the song made sense for me as Unlimited used Extra's narrative structure but with a different context. I don't know if it could be possible to replace it back, or at least give the players the choice in the option, but it was a major disappointment for me. Especially after your message during the campaign assuring us that the original openings would be used.
I don't really care for LOVE STEP, as it does not replace anything, and the new ed for Tama, Ayamine et Chizuru are a nice touch as they make I Will more special. It works for me.
But I expect that for Alternative the opening will be Asu e no Houkou. I like the other openings, but this one is way more iconic.
One last thing about the openings/ED movies, I don't know if you have the rights to do so but putting all of them, including those unused in this version, onto the gallery would be a nice bonus. Especially with Alternative and its four quite different ones.
-CG : It's been said, but the cropping can really be distracting by moments and there is some strong aliasing on them due to the upscale process. I understand where those arts came from, an 13 years old game that was produces for low resolution screens with a different aspect ratio so I'm not complaining more than that, but any possible improvement on that end would be welcomed.
-Controller Support : I've created an Xpadder profile for the novel so I can use my gamepad to play but I agree that native support would be better.
-Unlimited being unlocked from the start : Been said all over the topic but I agree. As nice it is to be able to choose to dive into Unlimited immediately, it would be a service to the first-time readers to warn them about Extra not being optional and that Sumika and Meiya's roads are indented to be read before.

I don't really care about Warudakumi as the BGM didn't catch my ears until I saw that it had gone full memetic over the internet, I don't really remember where it played, but for the principle of it I find it a shame.

S overall its a nice release. If you can fix the animation problems it would be even more solid. The rest of my complains are not as important as those glitches that needs to be fixed in order for the game to plays as it should.

On 16/07/2016 at 9:04 AM, Randomacts said:

If you only used 3-5 saves per a VN this long you are doing it wrong... I think with muv luv I ended up with ~80 and I didn't play every route..

Muv-Luv novels are quite linear, even Extra ad all its branching only has one end per girl. I don't understand how you can need so many saves has you have to start over each time you aim for a different path.
Except if you are using them as bookmarks in order to mark every scene there is in the game.

1 person likes this

Just now, Tetho said:

Muv-Luv novels are quite linear, even Extra ad all its branching only has one end per girl. I don't understand how you can need so many saves has you have to start over each time you aim for a different path.
Except if you are using them as bookmarks in order to mark every scene there is in the game.

I did use it for book marks in scenes that I found a moment funny or w/e And that worked fine with the fact that we had save notes.. With how it is now it would be a clusterfuck without being able to put notes about what the save is about ect.

Now if we can get the more important issues that we have been talking about in this thread there is something that I would love to see as a bonus feature and it shouldn't even be that much work for the team.

I would love to see an option (or honestly with how little resources it takes you could have it on by default) for the font to render at the resolution that the screen is displaying the game. Instead of the current what ever it is. 

I did ask during the live stream right before the game launched and one of the guys said that the engine does support it.

But ofc that isn't a priority mostly because I think I am one of the few people who noticed something like that... worry more about the things that are bugging more people :) 

1 hour ago, Tetho said:

-Missing animations/effects : There are a few animations which are missing from the game. For the moment I've only seen Tama's dash effect, now completely gone,

I've made very poorly done, short comparission of this animation between two versions. Well....great job ixtl/age, or whoever is responssible. :<

But I wouldn't even notice that. It's minor. But now that I know about it, it will sting.

Full screen recommended.

I Degica's defence it seems that Tama's Dash was indeed absent from Extra's PS3 version, at least according to this japanese let's play. So it's working as it should.

But Yuuko's assassination attempt on Sumika did play as intended, though. (I can't get enough of this joke, this is the funniest in the entire trilogy)

So if it would be appreciable to have both fixed, it is clear that the later is glitchy and should be fixed ASAP.

2 people like this

It's a shame that such things are missing from the new version.

Thanks for sharing those animation videos.

10 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

Sadly, Degica seems to have nothing to do with this and hence - no way to fix that. :<

No way for us to fix this directly, but we'll be notifying ixtl/age about the issue, and I've included the two videos linked above (PS3 and PC versions) as well as my own data. I hope to get this fixed, though it may be difficult if it's a deeply fundamental problem with the engine.

By the way: if anyone does see issues they've encountered in another person's let's play video (or your own), that can be useful evidence for us to share with the devs as we work towards fixing problems. It gives us a clear demonstration that the issue is occurring to other people. For some of these issues, it's possible that the devs were using very high-end machines, and simply didn't notice. Videos help us show them what other people are seeing.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

20 hours ago, Hirei said:

1. Cropped Gs - This might be problematic and I don't forsee it happening honestly due to engine restrictions if it were to be done in game. Having them in the gallery is possible And you are saying to have the entire game be presented in 4:3 aspect ration would entail a lot of work/backtracking from the PS3 version we are working with. It would be quite a challenge imo.

Sorry to ask that in this thread, but that means the game isn't playable in its original state, i.e. with 4/3 ratio & without the mouths animations ? (basically like the game is in the dvd version)
If not, is it planned ?

Thank you.

You know, something was bugging me about the text, and I just figured out.

Where is the Read Speed option? I can't find one. Whenever I click, all the text is displayed at once. Like BOOM. If I click again, it moves to the next page.  The original Novel had a speed setting for text to slowly fade in, which made it more readable.  This just bumps it all at once.

You can see it here:

Why doesn't the new release have this ability / option? Rather than displaying all at once?  It's how most VNS are done and it felt unnatural in this new port.

Also, why can't ALT + Enter full screen it? Why do I have to enter the options for that? most VNs, including the original, you hit ALT + F4, it full screens it. I like to switch between full screen and windowed, depending on what I'm doing and this creates alot of clicking a person shouldn't have to do.

19 hours ago, Mkilbride said:

Hey, since you're apparently a lawyer, are you taking on new clients? I… um… might have slapped a girl. Hard enough to knock her out of her hospital bed. Oh, and she can't walk. I think her 'Stache Dad is gonna sue me.

1 person likes this