Connor Krammer

Muv-Luv Feedback

488 posts in this topic

It will probably be released a few weeks or months after Alternative is released.

The main attraction/highlight is alternative so sales are bound to be high when it's out. After (hopefully) more people are alerted to the games by reviews and word of mouth, Muv Luv will reach its peak popularity and sales will stagnate later. That will be the perfect time to release the 18+ patch to reignite interest in the series for old and new comers alike (to pave way for tda) even though i don't really understand the reason so many people seem to want it.

I'm just talking out of my ass because I'm bored so take all that with a grain of salt because the same argument could be made for releasing the patch slighty prior to Alts release.

Edited by David

I personally assume that the update will come out well before Alternative, possibly within the next 2 months.

Simply put, they most likely would not announce an update of this nature so far off. There would be little to gain from planning it so much in advance, considering the update would most likely be quite small in comparison to the entire game.

However, the strange thing about this period right now is the lack of updates and information coming from the kickstarter and devs alike. For a game released on steam to not have any bug fixes within the first two months of release is, in of itself, odd. This is edging on one of the longest periods of time the kickstarter - since its beginning - has gone without an update.

Considering it is most likely going to be a cumulative update, including bug fixes, they may want to release it within the next few months. It is hard to tell considering the limited information available.

"Coming soon!"kappakappakappa

Not sure I'd agree about the planning (the software company I work for plans everything ahead for 24~36 months depending on the scope and market projections) but the lack of updates is right up their alley.  This studio has in the past decided that silence is better than disappointing news ("no news is good news," right?), and it appears that they might not have learned from that experience.  I hope that they realize soon that "no news is no news and we don't like it."  Bioware had a reputation once upon a time (before EA bought them) of publicly and proudly delaying releases if they needed more time to get it right.  There's no shame in telling your customers that you need more time to help ensure a better product and smoother release.

2 people like this

I'd have to disagree on the 'planning ahead' statement. What a developer is doing by announcing an update is marketing rather than planning to actually make the update. Its different to what your company would be doing in most cases, I'd imagine. Most PR won't announce something until it is actually started in many cases. It is to give incentive to those who didn't purchase the game or who were sitting on the fence to do so, to purchase it. Advertising in a way.

The bad thing about this silence is that there are clearly bugs within the current version of the game, existing since launch, which have not been addressed for literally months. Many people will just assume that the developer doesn't care for the game right now and that it is a complete product, even though it isn't.

Edging on two months without an update on the kickstarter, and three months on the actual game. Not a good look for a developer, sad to say. (Especially with a new game coming out within the next 6 months...)

Edited by Hellstar

An update of sorts. Good to know they are still working on the bugs...  

1 person likes this

Jesus, been quite awhile since release, it is taking them forever. I almost regret buying it.

1 person likes this

On 10/5/2016 at 1:06 PM, Mkilbride said:

Jesus, been quite awhile since release, it is taking them forever. I almost regret buying it.

I mean.. as long as I don't have to change the shipping address on my backkit again before we get the stuff.. (~10 more months)  .. shrug

I don't know where you saw free. It always talked about backers.

Now, I do agree that is a bit silly, especially for Alternative, as the +18 content is pretty low compared to everything else and even other Visual novels, so it feels a little more exploitative than normal.

But the game had the content originally. They removed it. They are now putting it back and charging you.

Edited by Mkilbride

The game also was originally in Japanese. And certainly not in HD. That argument is pretty absurd, especially when even with the patch it will likely cost half as much as one of the Japanese uncensored versions. We don't even know the price, so you don't know how much you're being milked, if any at all.

Being mad about companies censoring their release is fine. They could certainly release an uncensored version through other means. However, paid patches are brought by the Steam problem (i.e. VNs in steam needing to be all ages and a low price in order to be remotely successful), so as long as that isn't solved it won't go away. In Muv-Luv's case, I think a paid patch is more trouble than it is worth because of the low content will end with people feeling ripped off, but I don't think a random person in the Internet can pretend to know more about business and what is right for a game to the publisher of that game.

8 hours ago, Mkilbride said:

But the game had the content originally. They removed it. They are now putting it back and charging you.

Incorrect.  The Steam version of the game is the All Ages version.  They are taking content from the 18+ version and patching it into the game, something that was never available as an option to Japanese customers.  They could have gone the Grisaia route and put out the All Ages and 18+ versions separately for full price.  Instead, they put in the extra effort to adapt the 18+ content for the All Ages version, and are charging(presumably) a smaller amount than you would have had to pay to get both versions.

I hope the physical version (the one in the Collector Box) is the full/18+ version.
I really don't care about the incomplete/all ages version, for me the Steam version is more like a side dish (I would never have paid for it).

On 10/19/2016 at 11:43 AM, Marx-93 said:

I don't know where you saw free. It always talked about backers.

"

Patches" are usually made to fix something for free aren't they? Its the DLC that's usually gonna cost money. The latter is usually new content as well. This is the first time i see old game content being removed and then re-released as a chargeable DLC. Actually they should have called it a DLC from the start if planned on charging for it from the get go. But at the end of the day its not really a big deal because nothing official has been announced (in terms of prices) yet.

But this does raise the question if the same idea will apply for Alternative? Will people have to buy a $10+ dollar DLC just to experience CHOMP and the other graphic content? 

Oh god don't tell the Engrish will remain unless i buy a patch for it D:   I do not want to experience RASHON CARAZUU or HUEMAN Buurains again....

Edited by David

4 minutes ago, David said:

"Patches" are usually made to fix something for free aren't they? Its the DLC that's usually gonna cost money. The latter is usually new content as well. This is the first time i see old game content being removed and then re-released as a chargeable DLC. Actually they should have called it a DLC from the start if planned on charging for it from the get go.

But at the end of the day its not really a big deal because nothing official has been announced (in terms of prices) yet.

Yeah, let's all just agree to call it a "misnomer" and carry on.  Patches are intended to correct errors (of whatever type, be it programming, spelling, whatever).  It's a little weird, but I'm willing to fly with them calling it DLC I guess.  And really we're talking about what, one scene for each girl in each of the "steps?"  (one in Extra, one in Unlimited, and I'm guessing one in Alternative - don't know, haven't read it yet).  I hope they don't decide to get too carried away with the price, though.  My main reason for being generous here is that I want them to finish the project - and from their track record they have had consistent planning and estimating problems (don't know how long it'll take or how much it'll cost), especially with the little stuff in this thread alone going into actual patching.

6 minutes ago, rlranft said:

And really we're talking about what, one scene for each girl in each of the "steps?"  (one in Extra, one in Unlimited, and I'm guessing one in Alternative - don't know, haven't read it yet).

All the girls in Extra and Unlimited. Possibly CHOMP and twizzlers in Alternative. All the scenes in Altered Fable (were there any? Cant remember).

So a DLC and 2 possible future ones.

Can we get off the DLC vs patch bull?  I've said this on /r/visualnovels, and I'll say it here:  there is no technical difference between the two.  DLC is just a marketing term, and it has no solid definition that separates it from a patch.  There are developers that still use the term patch for both game fixes and added content, and there are publishers who put out DLC without charging money for it.  

As far as I'm concerned, as long as they aren't actually charging for game fixes, it's all fine, and the market can decide the rest.

6 hours ago, Scars Unseen said:

Can we get off the DLC vs patch bull?  I've said this on /r/visualnovels, and I'll say it here:  there is no technical difference between the two.  DLC is just a marketing term, and it has no solid definition that separates it from a patch.  There are developers that still use the term patch for both game fixes and added content, and there are publishers who put out DLC without charging money for it.  

As far as I'm concerned, as long as they aren't actually charging for game fixes, it's all fine, and the market can decide the rest.

DLC is usually paid for separate from the game, hence the difference between "DLC" and "patch."  Paid content expansions can contain fixes as well, but the distinction between the terms is usually whether they're paid for or not.  Since you're making the distinction of (/r/visualnovels) the line is potentially far blurrier, but in normal gaming the difference is fairly clear.  DLC is "DownLoadable Content" after all - the term was created to distinguish between a patch (traditionally bug fixes) and additional game content (that can usually be played with no change to the underlying game executables).  So while it might seem like "bull" to you, the rest of us are trying to be clear on what we're actually talking about.

I think most of us agree that charging for a bugfix alone is robbery.  If they don't offer a bugfix unless you pay for the extra content as well, I think we'd also agree that was not cool.

The fault with the nomenclature can be given, as always in the VN community (and this time non-sarcastically!), to Sekai Project. They were the ones who popularized the term "paid patch" for the +18 DLC to Nepora 2, as can be seen here (VERY NSFW), likely believing the term DLC has too bad press to use it. Ironically, they flip-flopped and called the Karakara +18 content DLC.

Before this the term used was patch always because it was free and because of the belief that it simply "unlocked" something hidden away (not that this isn't done with DLCs too, but you get the point).

Edited by Marx-93

6 hours ago, rlranft said:

DLC is usually paid for separate from the game, hence the difference between "DLC" and "patch."  Paid content expansions can contain fixes as well, but the distinction between the terms is usually whether they're paid for or not.  Since you're making the distinction of (/r/visualnovels) the line is potentially far blurrier, but in normal gaming the difference is fairly clear.  DLC is "DownLoadable Content" after all - the term was created to distinguish between a patch (traditionally bug fixes) and additional game content (that can usually be played with no change to the underlying game executables).  So while it might seem like "bull" to you, the rest of us are trying to be clear on what we're actually talking about.

I think most of us agree that charging for a bugfix alone is robbery.  If they don't offer a bugfix unless you pay for the extra content as well, I think we'd also agree that was not cool.

The word "usually" is the problem.  Different publishers use DLC in different ways, just as they do patches.  There are certainly enough instances of free DLC out there to make the claim "DLC costs money and patches don't" dubious at best.  My point is that getting hung up on terminology(in this case terminology with no standardized meaning) isn't in the least bit constructive.  There are certainly reasons to support or condemn Degica's move to charge for the 18+ patch,  but doing so based on what they call it is... well, bull.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Scars Unseen said:

My point is that getting hung up on terminology(in this case terminology with no standardized meaning) isn't in the least bit constructive. 

A person's 2 cents (ie opinion) on the matter isn't necessarily the same as being hung up on something. Besides,  the consensus was literally "its not a big deal anyway" so I'm not sure who you're referring to when you're asking people to not get hung up on this subject. (Unless if you're referring to the reddit subreddit, which i haven't really read) 

As you wish, I will accept @Scars Unseen as the world authority on these two completely interchangeable terms.  There is obviously literally no difference whatsoever between a "patch" and "DLC."

Except that in this case there is a need for a distinction.  There are obviously bugs that must be fixed.  There is also obviously content that will be added.  If the intent is to charge for the content then the natural next step is to desire that these two "patches" should actually be different in form, content, and nature.  Hmm, would be handy if there were common terms used to describe these two different purposes....

Edited by rlranft

Back on track - someone has probably pointed this out, but there seems to be odd behavior with the load screens:

quickload_dates.jpgquickload_dates2.jpg

October 30 was a Sunday this year, and there is no way that any save for this was made 30 years ago....

Does that mean that ingame they're still cropped & that there's no way to display them like in the original version ? 

Edited by ProfesseurM

23 hours ago, ProfesseurM said:

Does that mean that ingame they're still cropped & that there's no way to display them like in the original version ? 

Well, as long as your display is a 16:9 (which if your monitor is HD it must) you would never see them "really" uncropped anyway; that would require some very ugly black bars that may even lower the resolution of the image depending on your monitor. Still, if Degica uploads the uncropped versions in the gallery is a matter of time until someone makes a patch with them uncropped in-game; it will just be ugly though.