Connor Krammer

Muv-Luv Feedback

488 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, cabfe said:

The point made by WS Eule is that some terms have been incorrectly transcribed "from the start" and have been accepted because of this past usage.

No. My point is that a simple "o" is easier to read whereas using one of the correct versions has no practical use. So why even bother?

1 person likes this

Just now, WS Eule said:

No. My point is that a simple "o" is easier to read whereas using one of the correct versions has no practical use. So why even bother?

Same as above, for the sake of being exact. It may not mean anything to you, but for people who understand Japanese, it has a practical use.

Edited by cabfe

2 minutes ago, cabfe said:

Same as above, for the sake of being exact. It may not mean anything to you, but for people who understand Japanese, it has a practical use.

You should go tell the cities of Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto to change their websites then.

2 people like this

Just now, Scars Unseen said:

You should go tell the cities of Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto to change their websites then.

As I said, this way of writing is now used for so long that it has become a standard in English. It's not exact, but has been tolerated with the years.

What @Scars Unseen said. Also, if I understood Japanese, I wouldn't bother with the English translation in the first place as the English script takes lots of liberties (I can easily tell that even with my limited understanding of the Japanese language and I'm sure there's much, much more), so getting hung up about how "Hakuryo" should be written is kind of pointless.

For the English translation it's not a mistake - that character provides absolutely no information in English.  It's your preference.

26 minutes ago, rlranft said:

For the English translation it's not a mistake - that character provides absolutely no information in English.  It's your preference.

It does provide information, you don't know what to make of it.

Anyway, all this discussion was just to say that "Hakuryo" spelled this way is not 100% faithful to the Japanese word, but is that an important plot item? I don't think so. So feel free to ignore.

it's not like they misspelled the main character's name or anything.

1 minute ago, cabfe said:

It does provide information, you don't know what to make of it.

Okay, where is the key on the keyboard?  Where is the letter in the alphabet?  Like I said, that character isn't part of the English language.  I am literate in Korean - what has that got to do with how a word is spelled in English?  The phonemes don't map and using accent marks that don't appear in English is going to confuse 90% of your readers.

Just now, rlranft said:

Okay, where is the key on the keyboard?  Where is the letter in the alphabet?  Like I said, that character isn't part of the English language.  I am literate in Korean - what has that got to do with how a word is spelled in English?  The phonemes don't map and using accent marks that don't appear in English is going to confuse 90% of your readers.

Try to write in Chinese using pinyin and a classic US English keyboard using basic keys (no ALT-codes), then show your text to a Chinese reader for a good laugh.

Or maybe not, he won't understand a thing.

Just because it's not on your keyboard doesn't mean it's no use.

Look at other languages, like Norwegian. The problem is the same.

Really, do we have to talk about it anymore? That's not even the right topic for that.

1 minute ago, cabfe said:

Try to write in Chinese using pinyin and a classic US English keyboard using basic keys (no ALT-codes), then show your text to a Chinese reader for a good laugh.

Or maybe not, he won't understand a thing.

Just because it's not on your keyboard doesn't mean it's no use.

Look at other languages, like Norwegian. The problem is the same.

Really, do we have to talk about it anymore? That's not even the right topic for that.

You know what - you win the internet.  It's all you.  I'm certain they'll go change it immediately.

Just now, rlranft said:

You know what - you win the internet.  It's all you.  I'm certain they'll go change it immediately.

In any case, the only people who will find it odd are people who can read Japanese and they can switch to it when they feel something is not 100% right.

Will the staff change it or not? If it's for people like you who cannot read Japanese, maybe it's not worth it. Actually, I don't really care. It's not a "big" mistake like some others that have been reported earlier. I'm used to fix Japanese mistranslations myself when I read translated VNs so it doesn't matter for me. That's the benefit of knowing a language, even if you're not on a fluent level. It saved my playthrough of If my heart had wings :D (For people who don't know, this game is known for its awful translation, especially in the second half of it).

All must be right in the world if you can have several pages long arguments about translitteration of long vowels into English, which is a doomed venture in the first place. Why does nobody complain when umlauts from ä's and ö's get dropped all the time?

On 22.8.2016 at 7:56 AM, Aetherdeus said:

Ok, I'm way slow and just getting around to Unlimited, but what's this about aiming lower because bullets curve upward? I even switched text and Tama does say 上 but that's, ah, a bit off if I must say. I know the gravity is a little weird there, but not that weird :D

This is correct, gun sights are typically adjusted downwards a little to compensate for bullet drop. You can google ballistics for more details about it, unless someone here has more expertise on this.

And as a little piece of positive feedback, I'd like to say that I'm very pleased with how autosaving and loading on startup works with the cloud. Being able to close the game on my desktop and immediately continuing where I left off on my hybrid is super convenient.

Edited by mogban
fixing

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, mogban said:

This is correct, gun sights are typically adjusted downwards a little to compensate for bullet drop. You can google ballistics for more details about it, unless someone here has more expertise on this.

Hm, that could be a translation error if it was 'adjust sights lower', I admit I didn't try translating the whole line or the following one, but it didn't sound that way. One would expect Tama to mean that, though. But the second line, 'curving upwards' =/= 'drop', that needs a double-check

13 hours ago, Aetherdeus said:

Hm, that could be a translation error if it was 'adjust sights lower', I admit I didn't try translating the whole line or the following one, but it didn't sound that way. One would expect Tama to mean that, though. But the second line, 'curving upwards' =/= 'drop', that needs a double-check

The bullets curve upwards exactly because the sights are shifted downwards. Having the bullet leave the muzzle in an upwards curvature is how you compensate for bullet drop. If your sights are adjusted for a range further away than the target you're aiming at you will observe that your shots hit above bullseye.

The M-16 specifically is set up so that the round crosses the sights at 25m and 250m - So between 0m and 25m the round is going to be lower than where you're aiming, between 25m and 250m it will be higher, then it will be falling off (further) between 250m and max effective range.  So to compensate, you aim a little higher when going for targets beyond 250m and a little lower at targets between 25m and 250m - you kind of have to get a feel for it.

Of course, the same thing applies to all firearms, but the performance characteristics are naturally different for each.

Edited by rlranft

2 people like this

7 minutes ago, rlranft said:

The M-16 specifically is set up so that the round crosses the sights at 25m and 250m - So between 0m and 25m the round is going to be lower than where you're aiming, between 25m and 250m it will be higher, then it will be falling off (further) between 250m and max effective range.  So to compensate, you aim a little higher when going for targets beyond 250m and a little lower at targets between 25m and 250m - you kind of have to get a feel for it.

Of course, the same thing applies to all firearms, but the performance characteristics are naturally different for each.

Hm, I was hoping somebody who had been trained would chime in, thanks! That's what I was kind of getting at - you would think Tama would say 'aim higher' because of that but she does say 'aim lower' in the next dialog bit (I'll post that screen cap later). Maybe like @mogban said it should be "sight" rather than "aim"? I think maybe it's also a turn of phrase about 'curving'. "Curve upward" to me means more like "ノ" (the direction of slope) than " ヘ" (the relative apex) - maybe "arc" would be more intuitive? Can anybody step in and say if sight/aim and curve/arc are the same word in Japanese, or at least as used in this dialog?

So......any word on the directors cut patch or a bugfix patch?

Guys I heard on the newer update from Kickstarter, MLA would get both the OPs from PS3 and PC original version... I have the ps3 version myself, and I have to say, the Xbox360 OP Metamorphose is way better, almost as good as Howl Towards the Future, so why dont them just put that one instead of the PS3?

On 9/5/2016 at 6:14 PM, Playcool18 said:

Guys I heard on the newer update from Kickstarter, MLA would get both the OPs from PS3 and PC original version... I have the ps3 version myself, and I have to say, the Xbox360 OP Metamorphose is way better, almost as good as Howl Towards the Future, so why dont them just put that one instead of the PS3?

The consensus among fans( during and after KS) with regards to openings was most wanted the PS3 version.

On 07/09/2016 at 5:54 PM, kingrisen said:

The consensus among fans( during and after KS) with regards to openings was most wanted the PS3 version.

Nice consensus no doubt, myself an owner of the PS3 version, saying the xbox360 version is better, which is clearly, Metamorphose is just a much better song than Gravity.

More feel to it, more raw emotion.

While this is just meh. Doesnt suit so well the dark and despair of MLA.

I made a poll way back about preferred openings and there was only one person (out of 60) who voted for Metamorphose. The PS3 opening was based on the 360 opening which released a year before, and improved a good bit of visuals, particularly the CG animation on the Takemikazuchi.

4 hours ago, Discalibur said:

I made a poll way back about preferred openings and there was only one person (out of 60) who voted for Metamorphose. The PS3 opening was based on the 360 opening which released a year before, and improved a good bit of visuals, particularly the CG animation on the Takemikazuchi.

I dont frequent forums much, only when I have questions, I m not badmouthing the visuals of the PS3 version, but the music itself, that is what I like on the 360 OP, the music, it feels MLAish, unlike Gravity that feels more like your average thing. Doesnt pump your blood like the other 3, refering to this one also:

Too late now, what a pity...

So......any word on the directors cut patch or a bugfix patch?   Cause I spotted another i went to do a quick load and the times the loads were made said 22 hours ago 23  hours and 1 year??