Connor Krammer

Muv-Luv Feedback

490 posts in this topic

There have been some issues raised by fans about the new version of the game, and some people who think that it's been made worse than the original by the changes. We absolutely don't want the updated Muv-Luv to disappoint fans like that, so please share your feedback here so we can take a look at it.

I've also migrated some feedback from a prior thread into this one.

1 hour ago, Connor Krammer said:

@FaceEater - Would you mind sharing what you dislike about the new interface? We'd love to save you the work of patching the new TL back into the old game, so we're all ears.

My first guess is it probably has to do with the two replaced pastiches for fans that's enough for us to go through the effort and if the W7 version has both OPs as well playing when you start your client i could see that as another reason while some could just be impatient for an uncensored patch.

The later will probably be a factor for steam charts but personally i'm just worried about the patch for Alternative. Even though we all know gore will be included anyways.

On further thought regarding the interface the drop down menu was nice so having more keyboard shortcuts such as for fullscreen and windows mode would be nice. There was also a lot more options with the older client such as changing font colors and sound related options. AGE-ACS also had 3D sound where you could hear Tama if she was under you or upstairs now that just sounds distant instead is there any explanation for the sound specifically? Because this is something i recall loving and was a great factor for my enjoyment of the series.

Edited by StormVanguard

1 hour ago, Connor Krammer said:

@FaceEater - Would you mind sharing what you dislike about the new interface? We'd love to save you the work of patching the new TL back into the old game, so we're all ears.

The missing textbox and it settings, and the text speed setting.
There were many options for the text (like colour, font, size, etc) and sound, which are missing in the new version.

Also, 120 save slots in the new version, when you can go over 400 in the old. For a long VN, 120 is never enough.

And the new menu is one of the worst thing I have seen, it screams "Shitty phone app". I though this was a PC version, where is the File-Settings-Exit-Help menus that  doesn't "explode" in your screen everytime you open them. I have seen other VNs with that kind of menus, but those are well done, they aren't fucking giant.

May sound stupid, but I liked the old Muv-Luv the way it was and I though the KS was to make it better not worse.

2 people like this

3 hours ago, FaceEater said:

The W7 may be flawed too (don't have a "to use" copy to check it), so better use the DVD one, that one is good enough.

Anyone knows how to make that?

No i have read the windows 7 version and the client i'm pretty sure had more options.

I used turbotop using the old client for the translation putting it on bottom and the W7 client on top.

7 minutes ago, FaceEater said:

and sound, which are missing in the new version.

AGE-ACS sounded more 3D in the older versions right? Now everything just sounds distant or closer to me.

Edited by StormVanguard

22 hours ago, FaceEater said:

The missing textbox and it settings, and the text speed setting.
There were many options for the text (like colour, font, size, etc) and sound, which are missing in the new version.

Also, 120 save slots in the new version, when you can go over 400 in the old. For a long VN, 120 is never enough.

And the new menu is one of the worst thing I have seen, it screams "Shitty phone app". I though this was a PC version, where is the File-Settings-Exit-Help menus that  doesn't "explode" in your screen everytime you open them. I have seen other VNs with that kind of menus, but those are well done, they aren't fucking giant.

May sound stupid, but I liked the old Muv-Luv the way it was and I though the KS was to make it better not worse.

I'm not disagreeing (nor am I agreeing) with your post, but is there a need to be so hostile? I'm not tech-savvy, but if your  concerns are legitimate I think they should be fixable with a patch later on.

And are you serious about the save slots or joking? Speaking for myself here, but I've never used more than 3-5 save slots in any VN I've played O.o

Edited by David

30 minutes ago, David said:

I'm not disagreeing (nor am I agreeing) with your post, but is there a need to be so hostile? I'm not tech-savvy, but if your  concerns are legitimate I think they should be fixable with a patch later on.

And are you serious about the save slots or joking? Speaking for myself here, but I've never used more than 3-5 save slots in any VN I've played O.o

If you only used 3-5 saves per a VN this long you are doing it wrong... I think with muv luv I ended up with ~80 and I didn't play every route.. I believe that they removed the ability to add notes to saves so it makes it a clusterfuck for saves now anyways....  You used to be able to put notes so you know wtf a save was.

I would agree that the new GUI is kind of bad and the animation isn't really that smooth on it but I've come to expect awful GUI with anything related to Japan.

Perhaps we need to make a thread for everyone to try to list all the issues the game has in one place and suggestions ect.

Edited by Randomacts

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, Connor Krammer said:

@David I'm currently wrangling with some thread management (aarggh). Will show up there in a bit.

Anyway, regarding the GUI reception, if people prefer the old version you could include a "legacy" option that reverts to the GUI mode of the 2003 release. I think the Higurashi VNs on steam did the same thing since you could switch back between the old version of the game and the new version on the fly.

For the moment I'll hope that everyone remains civilized with whatever criticism they have of the release (especially since most issues seem to be patchable).

Edit:

Oh the thread moved. Well, here's some stuff I noticed across the board:

1. Cropped CGs

http://community.muvluv.moe/index.php?/topic/564-in-regard-to-cropped-cgs/

2. 18+ Patch

3. Original openings

Edited by David

1 person likes this

@David @Randomacts @StormVanguard @FaceEater

I've migrated the above comments from the previous thread to this one to avoid derailing its original topic, and to keep the feedback to this thread as much as possible. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Another relevant thread, though I won't be merging it with this one: 

So far cropped CG is my biggest concern. This has to be fixed as it is charring at points due to image being to close of some details not being seen. 

1 person likes this

This has probably been mentioned a bunch of times, but there should be a minimum requirement of finishing at least one playthrough of Extra before unlocking Unlimited, since a new player won't have any idea what the two are. I'd like to be able to hand this VN off to a friend without having to tell them how to read it.

Edited by Discalibur

3 people like this

4 minutes ago, Discalibur said:

This has probably been mentioned a bunch of times, but there should be a minimum requirement of finishing at least one playthrough of Extra before unlocking Unlimited, since a new player won't have any idea what the two are. I'd like to be able to hand this VN off to a friend without having to tell them how to read it.

Just a disclaimer at the start should be fine:

"For the best experience it is recommended to complete the Sumika/Meiya routes from extra while completely skipping the lacrosse arc since it has no value whatsoever other than stretching play time before moving on to Unlimited."

I think the freedom is a good idea since Extra isn't that great compared to Unlimited and Alternative. The other three routes were painful to tred through compared to the Sumika/Meiya route (which is essentially just 1 route, but with choices on who to partner up with at certain events).

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, Discalibur said:

I think a compromise could be made to just have a big warning or something. Allowing the freedom but making sure we don't have people be confused like I see on the steam forums thinking that extra = extras that you play after unlimited.

1 person likes this

I'd personally prefer not to have the option available at the start and not show the Unlimited UI until completion. It's less freedom, but it was part of the experience for me when I first played since I was unaware unlimited even existed. Even though most people know it exists, i'd like to see it attempt to preserve that illusion.

Edited by Discalibur

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Discalibur said:

I'd personally prefer not to have the option available at the start and not show the Unlimited UI until completion. It's less freedom, but it was part of the experience for me when I first played since I was unaware unlimited even existed.

I mean I agree, but I feel like until we can convince the muv luv team that it would be at least a good idea to have warnings on the way it is now. I know there is at least one person on the forums that feels his experience was ruined because of how it is currently.

1 person likes this

On another subject matter, does anyone have a change log between the steam version and the old versions? I'm interested in seeing all the improvements aside from the new text/GUI.

And as expected, there's already people on steam wondering what's the point of spending $30 dollars on a game where all you do is watch text move on a screen lol. Culture clash was expected, but I didn't expect it to come this fast

Edited by David

53 minutes ago, David said:

On another subject matter, does anyone have a change log between the steam version and the old versions? I'm interested in seeing all the improvements aside from the new text/GUI.

I'm not sure how much work that would be to do but it would be pretty neat to see. 

They might be better off spending their effort on doing other things first though imo and when they have time looking at doing that. 

Personally the cropped CG originals added to the gallery would be nice (as with the current screen size the cg would have to be completely redesigned to work with the current ratio, so cropping is unavoidable).

Only other thing is more options to change the characteristics of the text ( ie speed, color, whether sound ends at next line or continues till next voiced line ect).

Something that I don't think can be changed is the dialogue boxes. I rather like those since it makes it easier to read (not a programmer so not sure about how feasible that is).

All relatively minor things. But still loving the remake so far.

edit Someone pointed out something I agree with and made me rethink the text boxes since Alt doesn't have them

Edited by dongaro
changed opinion

Getting back those options to mess around with text characteristics would be fantastic. 

1 hour ago, dongaro said:

Something that I don't think can be changed is the dialogue boxes. I rather like those since it makes it easier to read (not a programmer so not sure about how feasible that is).

IMO having the same dialogue system as alternative's forms a coherent style that can help tie all three entries together as parts of the same trilogy. It could also function as a means to help users get acquainted with this somewhat unusual style of GUI (no textbox), making it easier for them to immerse themselves in Alternative and any future releases. This change from the old Muv-Luv is be a beneficial decision to the franchise in the long run as it makes its way westward.

If they do bring back the textbox, i hope it'll only be as an option. 

Edited by Jawer
i'm a noob level typist

1 person likes this

I don't like the awkward brackets that surround the text.

those awkward brackets are Japanese Quotation marks for dialoge...see them alot in games like SRW and such.

Edited by Light02

Might be a bit nitpicky but I much prefer to have the original opening rather than the PS3 one at the beginning. Thanks again for the port however!

2 people like this

18 hours ago, David said:

Just a disclaimer at the start should be fine:

18 hours ago, Randomacts said:

I think a compromise could be made to just have a big warning or something. Allowing the freedom but making sure we don't have people be confused like I see on the steam forums thinking that extra = extras that you play after unlimited.

I agree with the following something should be done about this.

18 hours ago, Discalibur said:

I'd personally prefer not to have the option available at the start and not show the Unlimited UI until completion. It's less freedom, but it was part of the experience for me when I first played since I was unaware unlimited even existed. Even though most people know it exists, i'd like to see it attempt to preserve that illusion.

The Illusion was definitely another ingredient towards Muv-Luv's success along with the background foreshadowing Unlimited i don't really like this change but i can come to terms with it. At the least a disclaimer needs be provided or a warning following the disclaimer like "are you sure you want to continue" but i think overall AGE is expecting the story to carry them to success when it was much more than that. It was the engine itself the 3D sound, the references the pastiches, the cool factor of Unlimited suddenly appearing when you didn't expect it only to find out later it was foreshadowed all along and much much more. Even if everyone's aware of Unlimiteds existence you can still appreciate a new story appearing like new game +. But the point is Muv-Luv is comprised of little things that makes something big in the end, i can still live with how things are but they really need to take Alternative seriously if they want the best results and for an even bigger crowd to discover and be ensnared by Muv-Luv.

Edited by StormVanguard

2 people like this

I'd like a screen that shows the keyboard controls. There doesn't seem to be a menu that shows the controls in the game and there isn't a manual on the Steam page.

5 people like this

Before anyone posts this, in regards to  Warudakumi. It was mainly replaced due to the fact that it closely resembled a fairly well known song by Ricky Martin. We'd rather not get sued sadly...

Been seeing some comments saying that they are appalled by the decision and said that their Muv-Luv experience was tarnished by this, so I thought I'd shed some light on why it was made.

3 people like this

I know you want Unlimited unlocked from the start.

But I think there should be a WARNING. When you click on Unlimited ,without having played at least ONE Route of Extra, a warning should pop up that the INTENDED order is Extra first, and that reading Extra will provide the best experience.

Just a simple pop up warning, with a "Do you want continue / Yes / No" ect.

Also, can we possibly get Controller support? I know the original didn't have it, but the last few years I have gotten used to using controllers in modern VNS. It allows me to sit in my chair and relax, comfortably, leaned back.  Instead of constantly clicking my mouse or hitting enter over and over.  I mean this is the PS3 version, right? Can't we get some Controller support?