Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tBanzai

In regard to cropped CGs

33 posts in this topic

Hello.

Backed the kickstarter project at 300 dollars, very excited to get all my stuff and have a romp through muvluv again after getting into it while there was only the amaterasu patch for us english speakers.

However, I recently found out that, probably because of the HD aspect ratio requirements, that CGs are being cropped in the Steam versions of Extra/Unlimited.  Would it be possible to know if these CGs are also cropped in the galleries?  If so, is there any chance that there will be an option implemented for the CGs to be letterboxed instead of cropped?  I've found online screenshots of this happening and am attaching it to this post.

Thanks.

1468643006546.jpg

1468643069735.png

It's still cropped, here's the gallery ver for comparison. 

Spoiler

12.JPG

5 minutes ago, tBanzai said:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/449830/discussions/0/359543542242173392/

Got a reply on twitter from the staff pointing me to the controls giving you the ability to scroll CGs.  Will test later.

I think my only concern now is when the 18+ patch will be out and if the Dakimakuras will ever be sold outside of the kickstarter..

oh hey it does work,but only for a select few. 

42 minutes ago, Jawer said:

oh hey it does work,but only for a select few. 

Yeah, seems any CGs that are already in a portrait orientation in the original version, like Marimo's Darkstalkers cosplay, have the scroll function, but any of the standard aspect ratio CGs all have cut tops and bottoms.

That said, the screenshot above that I found on the web seems to have been FURTHER cropped than the actual in-game CG, for whatever reason.  At the very least in-game you can still see some of the cropped portion of the OP image.

So it's not as BAD as it seemed at first, but still, Sumika's ahoge is pretty much GONE, regardless...

Even if it's not all that high priority for the team right now, it'd be good to see them respect the artists a little more and retain the full CG in Alternative, Photon Flowers and Melodies, and maybe down the line release an update for Extra/Unlimited that rectifies the cropped CGs somehow, be it a scroll for all the CGs or an aspect ratio/letterbox option.  As it is right now, I'm feeling rather disappointed by this.  Cropped CGs weren't acceptable in G-Senjou no Maou and I don't really think it is here, either.

Screenshot 2016-07-16 01.46.34.png

EDIT:
Got a response from the people running the twitter account.  I wish them the best of luck.

Capture.PNG

Edited by tBanzai

in alernative at least it's native aspect ratio is already like that. I think. So no issues in that regard, and I'd expect photon would also use the widescreen in it's original version.its only extra unlimited tht were originall 3:4

10 minutes ago, dongaro said:

in alernative at least it's native aspect ratio is already like that. I think. So no issues in that regard, and I'd expect photon would also use the widescreen in it's original version.its only extra unlimited tht were originall 3:4

Iirc, Muv luv Supplement was 4:3 too, so part of photom could be cropped too.

if it's only a part of photon, it would be better for it to be all of one style.

I just want an option to run the game with the original 4:3 sprites myself.

21 hours ago, dongaro said:

Yeah, now that I think about it, this probably won't be an issue in alternative or any games after that  since those games were all 16:9 to begin with, I think.

2 hours ago, Mkilbride said:

I just want an option to run the game with the original 4:3 sprites myself.

might not be doable without redoing the entire game... I mean sounds easy but I'm not sure it actually is

Just now, dongaro said:

might not be doable without redoing the entire game... I mean sounds easy but I'm not sure it actually is

Probably depends on whether or not they kept the cropped portions of the CG intact beyond the frame of the window or if it was all deleted.

I was thinking of interface ingeneral, like the old version  had different layout ie sprites have to be spaced differently to take advantage of the increased with of screen. Basically not sure if there was more behind the scenes in the new user interface than just cropping, that might necessitate a full redesign to get working (script layout would also have to be redone for 3:4 layout unless the box came back).

You're about a decade late with these complaints; these changes have been mainstay at least since 2007. If your only experience has been the initial DVD release, you've missed all the applied changes applied in Windows 7 and later consoles versions. The KS info was clear on using the latest assets and version possible.

I'm sure I don't need to mention the corporate budget side why cropping is preferred over redrawing or extending CGs into widescreen format.

Yeah, that could be an issue.  I don't really expect them to do anything that requires an overhaul of their engine or anything like that, but they do already have a scroll feature for longer cgs.  I don't think it'd be too difficult to apply that to all of the cropped images, but that's just my speculation.

there was meantion that they might put the uncropped CGs at least into the gallery for veiwing which sounds nice

Wouldn't it be just possible to re-release the dvd version of the game, tweaked to work on Windows 10 (since I heard it doesn't work very well on this OS), and with the new translation ? So the game would be in 4:3 ratio, no CG cropped, it would just play like the original version.

17 minutes ago, ProfesseurM said:

Wouldn't it be just possible to re-release the dvd version of the game, tweaked to work on Windows 10 (since I heard it doesn't work very well on this OS), and with the new translation ? So the game would be in 4:3 ratio, no CG cropped, it would just play like the original version.

Let's get real here. It's a bloody miracle Muv-Luv is even running on windows 10 and let's not forget it didn't even run on 8.

So essentially all they can do is make tweaks on this new client which i'm okay with since in the end it allows more people to play which should be beneficial for not only us but japan as well.

Edited by StormVanguard

12 minutes ago, StormVanguard said:

Let's get real here. It's a bloody miracle Muv-Luv is even running on windows 10 and let's not forget it didn't even run on 8.

So essentially all they can do is make tweaks on this new client which i'm okay with since in the end it allows more people to play which should be beneficial for not only us but japan as well.

Not sure what you mean..... It works fine?

s2PqRCz.png

Edited by Randomacts

Yeah, the original runs with no issues on W10 as far as I've seen.

6 minutes ago, Randomacts said:

Not sure what you mean..... It works fine?

I'm pretty sure the 5.5 client crashes in certain areas in win10 just like it does in win8.

There's a reason Degica focused on windows 10 support which essentially means the client now works on all versions of windows without crash issues. This is something i literally leaped for joy for because otherwise i had to ask if they had a copy of windows xp or 7 laying around anytime i attempted to recommend the series.

1 minute ago, Mkilbride said:

Yeah, the original runs with no issues on W10 as far as I've seen.

Clearly you need at least 24gb of ram and a i5 2500k @4.6ghz or better to run muv luv on 10 :^)

4 minutes ago, Randomacts said:

Clearly you need at least 24gb of ram and a i5 2500k @4.6ghz or better to run muv luv on 10 :^)

Bull.. ctrl to the end of sumika's route or get to a certain area on your date with her i swear it will crash.

Edited by StormVanguard

Just now, StormVanguard said:

Bull.. ctrl to the end of sumika's route or get to her date i swear it will crash.

For shits and giggles I'll go ahead and try. You are prob right but for science I shall test it.