Mormaethor

[Pen&Paper/Storytelling] Save in the Name of True Love!

43 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, The Green String said:

The quest master of the Muv-Luv quest I read over at /tg/ based his system off Merc Command; the QM's pastebin here, and the quest threads (for purposes of reference) here.

I'll take a look at it. Seems like something mostly suited to combat again though. But it might get the job done.

8 hours ago, Karolus said:

It's for running a game here or with your friends in person? I ask because the system HAS to be nearly entirely different. Play by post tends to drag if you make it too slow to advance in combats or any other situations.

Why not both? A solid hack would be more than up to both tasks. Essentially, there's no difference but the medium used.

2 hours ago, Sagus said:

I feel like Dark Heresy might be the closest thing to work with as a baseline out of the things I've played.   Speaking of muvluv versions of games: http://imgur.com/a/Ux8MU  I imagine a lot of people have already seen this though.

Spez Marines, right? Might work too. Especially if all you wanna do is shout IMAKILLINALLOFYEBETA.

But I feel the need to point it out again: I don't want to limit myself to just (or mostly) TSF combat, or combat in general. I'm pretty sure there are people out there who want to ministry-of-defense around like there was no tomorrow for example. Or be an engineer.

Or maybe they just want to be a somewhat useless kawaii-as-fuck waifu-eishi. Who knows.

23 minutes ago, Mormaethor said:

Spez Marines, right? Might work too. Especially if all you wanna do is shout IMAKILLINALLOFYEBETA.

But I feel the need to point it out again: I don't want to limit myself to just (or mostly) TSF combat, or combat in general. I'm pretty sure there are people out there who want to ministry-of-defense around like there was no tomorrow for example. Or be an engineer.

Or maybe they just want to be a somewhat useless kawaii-as-fuck waifu-eishi. Who knows.

Sometimes, but the basic system is for playing as normal humans, and it has rules for social stuff and sneaking around in addition to combat.

Edited by derek58

19 minutes ago, derek58 said:

Sometimes, but the basic system is for playing as normal humans, and it has rules for social stuff and sneaking around in addition to combat.

Well, most systems do. Guess I'll just have to find out myself how deep that goes.

Ooh, following this thread - I've done a little work with a friend of mine trying to adapt Warhammer 40k 6e for 1/144-scale Gundams & TSFs, but no RPGs yet

95% I'll pop a first draft during this week.

Depends on my network and me moving.

If you don't mind something more on the narrative end, FATE Core has a pretty decent generic system adaptable to a lot of things, and a spinoff game called Camelot Trigger designed for mecha, along with a system modification toolkit.  The game by default has a mental stress track that can be used to represent mental traumas and stuff.  Mutants and Masterminds can also do mecha with some tinkering, if you perfer something with more numbers and statlines.

If you're looking to stat TSFs based on engine specs or something, you probably want a pile of GURPS books or Mekton Zeta, or something like that.

Why do people always post here after I go to bed. >_>

WoD too is adaptable and narrative, but can be as rule-heavy as you want to. That is why I am using it until I have the means to sort through other systems.

I recommend Powered by Apocalypse (Apocalypse World engine). Easily moddable, very flexible, allows players to impact story a lot. Munchkin-proof. Allows to play "legacy" characters easily, which could come in handy in setting like MLA with the high casualty rate.Generally awesome. And you do not need a sackful of dice like in other systems. Best set of rules I have ever played. And I am familiar with many systems (DnD, Pathfinder, WoD, Warhammer, indies...)

Ooh, I like the thought of FATE, I'll have to look more in to that. For wargaming, MSGBS rules for 40k was what I started with.
http://msgbs.alt-world.com/gundammsbs/indexa.html
If anybody is curious, here's the 7e edit document and my MLA codex
http://goo.gl/rvzZWO
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Bj8wLCgIss8T3jGaf5uvBbMFkAoehV7DtfWpe2zqEe4
I started trying to stat some TSFs and characters for Mekton but its, ah, time consuming... 0.o
Some named characters haven't been fixed from before I finished some of the stories, admittedly, and a few TSFs I think have some stat errors, but its a start. Any feedback is appreciated!

Still working on my phone. So I won't look this over now.

If you plan on keep working on that you should probably either team up with us or wait for one of my earlier draft releases, which will include an as accurate list on vehicles as possible.

3 minutes ago, Mormaethor said:

Still working on my phone. So I won't look this over now.

If you plan on keep working on that you should probably either team up with us or wait for one of my earlier draft releases, which will include an as accurate list on vehicles as possible.

I'm taking a look at it right now, and as he said, it is for wargaming, but... This might help expedite the job you handed down to me. It's a pretty impressive listing (So far. I'm still only at the start of the doc).

Edited by Shinygami

Work harder you lazy BETA. *whip*

If everything goes as planned, I can start looking through everything on saturday and settle on a system.

First draft is to be expected a couple days after that.

It was really a Gundam-centric game design my friend was working on editing - so, I had been contributing design/playtesting work and got, ah, carried away adding TSFs. I'd be glad contribute to whatever you guys settle on - I'm looking through the other mentioned systems now (I'm a little behind on my RPG systems)

Again, my personal preference for now is nWoD. Been working with that for a long time and I am sure it gets the job done. The first draft will very likely be using that. Unlesd my glance at the suggested systems really strikes something.

As time moves on, I wouldn't mind doing hacks on some of the other systems too, if there are enough requests or I am really really bored.

Shinygami is currently gathering some intel I requested.

Well, I could always start digging into Apo World system myself. For some reason with all those hacks it lacks a mecha one oO. And after some thinking Muv Luv could also make a nice Fiasco playbook. 

Personally never liked WoD. I absolutely adore the setting, but all those dice that tend to screw you up in the worst moment... *shivers* But yea, big indie fan here, I just like system really supporting the narrative and not spending hours on preparing the player cards.

2 hours ago, Dracia said:

Personally never liked WoD. I absolutely adore the setting, but all those dice that tend to screw you up in the worst moment... *shivers* But yea, big indie fan here, I just like system really supporting the narrative and not spending hours on preparing the player cards.

It is pretty hard to fuck up with a lot of dice.

That is trie for nWoD too. Or rather, that is the point of it.

So, since I already bothered crawling out of the abyss...

I've tried it with Dark Heresy, nWoD/CoD, Mechwarrior, BESM and D20. They all work somehow, but I ain't satisfied. Then again, I wasn't able to invest as much time into it as I had planned to (you might have noticed me disappearing and such).

I'll take a look at FATE and Apocalypse next. Guess those two are the last on the list, unless I have missed something.