Mormaethor

[Pen&Paper/Storytelling] Save in the Name of True Love!

43 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if the community in here is already large enough to have enough people around who are knowledgeable enough (or interested at all) but...

I've been playing all sorts of P&P over the stretch of my lifetime, but I have yet to find a system that let's me run Muv-Luv as it should be (noone would want anything short of a 13/10 on their mubrubs) without having to homebrew a lot.

So I decided to ask around if anyone else ever tried that, and maybe had a solid suggestion for a system that actually gets the job done without too much additional work.

Else, I might just end up homebrewing or hacking my own one. Which you can then expect somewhere between 3 hours and 15 months from now.

Oh, and if I really end up hacking my own system, I'd like someone to push this into the lab.

Edited by Mormaethor

1 person likes this

Well, I don't really know if there is a Muv Luv PnP out there, but if you search around, I know there's a Nasu-verse PnP, a Fallout PnP, and a few others... Iunno how you'd adapt either of my mentions, but, it's better than me coming in here just to babble uselessly. Hmmm... Actually, there's another RP system I've heard of that might have what you're looking for... I think it was something like Numenera? Again, I don't have solid ideas on the matter, but those three mentions might at least give you some ideas.

Apologies if I did, in fact, end up just babbling uselessly like I feared!

As far as I know, there ain't nothing like a Muv-Luv System.

Numenera is too rigid for my purposes. Also, levelbound. Nah.

Savage World for example has not enough freedom. etc etc etc I can just about shoot down everything out there. I'm picky like that.Especially with my mubrubs.

Personally, I'd probably hack nWoD. It be a lot of work, but it's the proper amount of possibilities, complexity and lightweight. Outbreak: Deep Space might work too, if one would want a simpler game.

And hey, I ain't like I should be doing something, like work, right? Right!?
Also, no apologies needed. This is at this point just a discussion thread and some response is better than no response. Shows me that there's at least someone displaying a slight interest in the matter.

Then we can obviously rule out DnD styles.

I've never heard of nWoD or Outbreak.

Hmmm... Wait a second, there was a zombie RP I'd played a while back. I don't think it had levels, but, that could've been because of the way my friend GM'd it. Think it was All Flesh Must be Eaten? It was built for a survival against superior numbers/horde enemy scenario, so if we thought about it, I think it could be altered enough.

1 person likes this

Paranoia might work, but it might be too tied to it's setting. It's so lax about its rules that anyone except the GM knowing about most of them is considered treason and is grounds for execution. There's no level system except rank which is obtained by success in missions, death is so common that you start with six lives and can buy more, and while there are rules governing combat, it's a bit abstract and can basically be ignored in favor of your own system. The only thing is it's a bit geared towards slapstick comedy and navigating bureaucracy. 

OUTBREAK: Undead, too, is essentially a zombie-survival. It does have an expansion though (Deep Space) centering around Alien Invasions and stuff. Still, rather too light.

new World of Darkness by it's real name is sadly rather less known. A lot of people know it as something called "Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines".

It's a Storytelling game, offering a solid base to build upon, nearly endless possibilities to upgrade and enhance and adapt, and is very lightweight yet deep and covering.

I have AFMBE lying around here somewhere... just never really took a look at it.

Edited by Mormaethor

Ah, Whitewolf then. For some reason, I had a feeling, but I'm just not big on following it. Though I did have interest in the game you mention.

Actually, I think one of my friends has the old Vampire: The Masquerade RP Book.

Edit: Paranoia definitely seems like it's meant for a bleak setting, but when you mention the slapstick element...

Also, now for some reason I want to think of Call of Cthulu and other stuff for games that tend to feature death as a big element.

Edited by Shinygami

1 minute ago, Shinygami said:

Ah, Whitewolf then. For some reason, I had a feeling, but I'm just not big on following it. Though I did have interest in the game you mention.

Actually, I think one of my friends has the old Vampire: The Masquerade RP Book.

That'd be cWoD. Talking 2nd ed nWoD here. Much better.

5 minutes ago, Anix said:

Paranoia might work, but it might be too tied to it's setting. It's so lax about its rules that anyone except the GM knowing about most of them is considered treason and is grounds for execution. There's no level system except rank which is obtained by success in missions, death is so common that you start with six lives and can buy more, and while there are rules governing combat, it's a bit abstract and can basically be ignored in favor of your own system. The only thing is it's a bit geared towards slapstick comedy and navigating bureaucracy. 

It seems to have some promise, but on the other hand just not suitable. Imagine there are no solid rules for TSFs when shit gets serious...

The comedy part isn't essentially bad. That too, is part of Muv-Luv Duality.

A fair point on the comedy aspect. I lapsed in judgment.

So far, though, my personal opinion is that things like Outbreak and All Flesh Must be Eaten have the highest potential for governing TSF combat rules. I've not yet taken a look at Outbreak, mind, but, if it's based in Zombie scenarios for its original set, I'm sure it knows how to keep the odds against players.

Though, I suppose the inherent problem of those is that in a Zombie scenario, you'd be more encouraged to escape than perform a sweep and clear?

Running is certainly advised in Outbread.

Still, for now I'm favoring nWoD. Which is quite capable of running zombie apocalypse, if that's our standard for comparing suitability.

Especially since I do not want to limit the game to just TSF combat and briefings.

I'm still hoping for some more input though.

Edited by Mormaethor

3 minutes ago, Mormaethor said:

It seems to have some promise, but on the other hand just not suitable. Imagine there are no solid rules for TSFs when shit gets serious...

The comedy part isn't essentially bad. That too, is part of Muv-Luv Duality.

It's not the right type though, it's meant to be like a Monty Python-like parody of Skynet dystopia. TV tropes explanation here. Like any P&P game, you can run it how you like, but it's built around that intention. 

I think there's a tabletop version of Battletech (our Kickstarter-in-arms appears again) but I think it's meant to be played with minis on a grid and I'm not sure how well it would take to imagination-only. I don't know/remember much about it. TSF rules can be adapted from any number of combat systems, though. You could even use D&D 3.5, really. There's flying mechanics in place, you can make the low-level BETA instant kill on-hit, and there are even stats for things like heavy MGs and grenade launchers for some reason. Just stop thinking about them as giant robots and think of them as characters of their own. You don't need to level them up, just give them fixed stats based on model and loadout.

From the little I know of World of Darkness, I can accept it as a backbone.

Hmmm... Now that I think on it, I believe the Nasuverse PnP was based on the World of Darkness system. I'll keep an ear to the ground for anymore systems that might have potential, but if you want creative input, I might have a few ideas if you can ask the right questions to get my rusted gears in motion. I'll warn, though, it's been years since I've actually been creative. ^^;

You could use something like a sanity mechanic for PTSD.

3 minutes ago, Anix said:

I think there's a tabletop version of Battletech (our Kickstarter-in-arms appears again) but I think it's meant to be played with minis on a grid and I'm not sure how well it would take to imagination-only. I don't know/remember much about it. TSF rules can be adapted from any number of combat systems, though. You could even use D&D 3.5, really. There's flying mechanics in place, you can make the low-level BETA instant kill on-hit, and there are even stats for things like heavy MGs and grenade launchers for some reason. Just stop thinking about them as giant robots and think of them as characters of their own. You don't need to level them up, just give them fixed stats based on model and loadout.

Nowadays, there's a lot of digital support for things like that.

There's this thing called D20 Modern. That's where the future tech comes from.

A solution, yes. One of many. But at best a placeholder.

Edited by Mormaethor

1 minute ago, Anix said:

That definitely seems like a good idea to me.

1 minute ago, Mormaethor said:

There's this thing called D20 Modern. That's where the future tech comes from.

Yes, but there's also a few pages in the DM guide for various historical periods' tech: rennaissance, modern, laser and plasma weapons... it's all broken and overpowered and doesn't fit at all; that's why there's d20 modern.

6 minutes ago, Shinygami said:

From the little I know of World of Darkness, I can accept it as a backbone.

Hmmm... Now that I think on it, I believe the Nasuverse PnP was based on the World of Darkness system. I'll keep an ear to the ground for anymore systems that might have potential, but if you want creative input, I might have a few ideas if you can ask the right questions to get my rusted gears in motion. I'll warn, though, it's been years since I've actually been creative. ^^;

I'm an engineer. I don't do creative.

That's why I'm good at doing systems.

6 minutes ago, Anix said:

I'm almost sure I had something like that somewhere in nWoD a couple years back when I ran some Cthulhu over it.

1 minute ago, Anix said:

Yes, but there's also a few pages in the DM guide for various historical periods' tech: rennaissance, modern, laser and plasma weapons... it's all broken and overpowered and doesn't fit at all; that's why there's d20 modern.

Rrrright, that stuff. Totally useless even back then.

Edited by Mormaethor

I'm almost tempted to post a link to the old Steelhearts RP I mentioned being in. Can't believe I actually found it again...

I mean, it's pure narrative, but the character creation part had an armory, skills, etc. that could work as inspiration for flavor-text and solid rules...

I have one done for some sort of tactical-roleplaying, but it needs a cleanup. I did it for a rp forum but ended up half-leaving it because time. It should be more or less easy to adapt to pen and paper as I had that in mind too when doing it. Might get at it again, the KS did give me a kick.

I'm gonna be like Meiya and sneak into bed.

0A67D116.thumb.png.9d4a041d67873a73c85b5

Let's see what happens while I'm gone. If anyone wants to drop drafts or ideas or whatever onto me, send me a PM. I got a three hour ride up tomorrow anyways...

Also, some moderator/admin please move this to the lab. Guess development will start, one way or the other.

14 minutes ago, Mormaethor said:

I'm gonna be like Meiya and sneak into bed.

0A67D116.thumb.png.9d4a041d67873a73c85b5

Let's see what happens while I'm gone. If anyone wants to drop drafts or ideas or whatever onto me, send me a PM. I got a three hour ride up tomorrow anyways...

Also, some moderator/admin please move this to the lab. Guess development will start, one way or the other.

It's for running a game here or with your friends in person? I ask because the system HAS to be nearly entirely different. Play by post tends to drag if you make it too slow to advance in combats or any other situations.

The quest master of the Muv-Luv quest I read over at /tg/ based his system off Merc Command; the QM's pastebin here, and the quest threads (for purposes of reference) here.

Edited by The Green String

7 hours ago, Mormaethor said:

I'm not sure if the community in here is already large enough to have enough people around who are knowledgeable enough (or interested at all) but...

I've been playing all sorts of P&P over the stretch of my lifetime, but I have yet to find a system that let's me run Muv-Luv as it should be (noone would want anything short of a 13/10 on their mubrubs) without having to homebrew a lot.

So I decided to ask around if anyone else ever tried that, and maybe had a solid suggestion for a system that actually gets the job done without too much additional work.

Else, I might just end up homebrewing or hacking my own one. Which you can then expect somewhere between 3 hours and 15 months from now.

Oh, and if I really end up hacking my own system, I'd like someone to push this into the lab.

I feel like Dark Heresy might be the closest thing to work with as a baseline out of the things I've played.   Speaking of muvluv versions of games: http://imgur.com/a/Ux8MU  I imagine a lot of people have already seen this though.

5 minutes ago, Sagus said:

I feel like Dark Heresy might be the closest thing to work with as a baseline out of the things I've played.   Speaking of muvluv versions of games: http://imgur.com/a/Ux8MU  I imagine a lot of people have already seen this though.

Spoiler

I remember that thread and its offshoots. "Rookie Shirogane Takeru is panicking!"

Bit of a spoiler for Alternative.

Yea, the Dark Heresy system could work pretty well. I think it wouldn't be too difficult to have on foot and in TSF action since it would just need some minor tweaks to the combat system and weapons to show the difference between two. It also has an Insanity system all ready available to use.

Edited by derek58