Aetherdeus

Anime Expo 2016

81 posts in this topic

I knew it. I knew it would happen. KGNE is getting an official localization after over a decade of failed fan-translations (though the localized anime was really good)

2 people like this

Some of my groups loot this year

Kouki mentioned on Day 2's Q&A that he's playing with the possiblity of an alternative sequel centered around akane. I'm not sure if he was just kidding or not since I told him she's my fav character, so take it with a grain of salt. He also mentioned something about an upcoming  game that'll pit Ilfriede(Aspiration) against Master(Total Eclipse).

Throughout the session, he also showed off some Mecha designs he had been toying with. They're quite a departure from what i'd expected from age. The 3 or so mechas shown reminded me of the mechas from 5 star stories and code geass (especially the colorschemes), slim and a bit ornamated

He made a few jokes about how he's not that afraid of showing these sketches to us, saying something along the line of Google translation wouldn't generate coherent enough japanese, limiting its credibility to the japnese fans if posted online.

Edited by Jawer
Added more info....and my mobile typwriting skill needs work

5 people like this

Here are the other questions and their paraphrased answers that I can remember. Please excuse my horrible grammar, I didn't get much sleep these last few days.

Why was "Muv-Luv" not included in schwarzesmarken's title?

So people won't feel like they'll need to play Muv luv before playing any of the other games (total eclipse and Schawarz. I'm not sure why he mentioned TE, I thought that had ML in It's title.)

What's your favorite Mecha for every country in Muv-Luv?

All of them(nice answer kouki-sensei), because he always designs them all to be usable/stand out as the main characters robot( he used yuuya and shiranui as examples).This is what made him start showing off his concept designs.

(Me) any chance of a Kiminozo localization in the foreseeable future? Please?Please?? PLEASE???

He laughed*. Kouki was astonished by how well received the rumbling hearts anime was oversea. The DVD sales number suprised him. He didn't think it would do well overseas because, In his view, the way love is expressed in the story wasn't compatible with the west's more opened and active views on relationships/love. (He made explosion sounds to when describing the western view).Told me to go to the sekai panel where he'll be gauging the interest in a Kiminozo localization.

Kouki asked the crowd who's their favorite character.A guy mentioned Meiya, I answered Akane. No one mentioned Yui, which suprised him. According to kouki, Ilfried(1st), Meiya(2nd),and Yui(3rd) are the most popular ones in Japan. when asked why doesn't anyone there like Yui, one guy answered he doesn't like long hair (blasphemy!).

Why wasn't there an anime adaptation of the original trilogy?

There was some plans beforehand on making an adaptation of ML:E and U before they settled on Kiminozo (my memories a bit fuzzy on this part , it was either original Kiminozo or next season). Money is the primary reason they chose one over the other.

On a side note, the degica booth was a huge improvement from last year. There was a slight hiccup on day 1 where people didn't know where the line started, but it was quickly resolved. Loved the Muv-Luv demos on display, it helped convince my friend to give the series a try. The only negative thing I could find is the checkout system. The checkout system was pretty horrendous, with the the buyer at front going through the only catalogue to place their order. The fact that the cashier had to record each item purchased with paper and pencil didn't help.

I was really sad that they ran out of time to do their poster giveaway on the one day I had time to stay for the entire event.but overall, I had a grand old time visiting and buying stuff. Please learn from this years experience and improve even more next year. Thank you @The Muv-Luv Team and @Hirei for brining some large size posters. 

I showed up at the degica booth everyday but had to ditch day 1 and 3's Q&A. If anyone has info on what was said during those events, please share. Oh and one of those lucky winners should share a pic of their loot.

I would love to see everyone there again next year, maybe with nametags?

Edited by Jawer
I need a yang special, coffee with lots of bourbon

4 people like this

AGGHH! Because the noted schedule at LP4 put a "Cat Girls in games" at 2100-2200, I had assumed the MuvLuv crew did not make their meeting with Sekai Project. So I left the initial Sekai panel at 2045. I should have asked before I left. I could have stayed in the panel through out! 

Srry about the long post, I didn't even realize I typed that much until I posted it. Here's the last question that I can somewhat recall. 

(I can't remember this question very well, it was something about why didn't age localize ML earlier )

Kouki mentioned the rapelay incident, how majority of the west didn't have a concrete idea about visual novels which had since changed. He started thinking about localization after coming to AX in 2012(?), suprised by the enthusiasm about total eclipse, along with talking to someone on the translation team and getting to know why they did their translation s. He also mentioned that the Japanese gaming market is shrinking (maybe because there are less and less kids??Idk) And how they'll need to expand internationally if they want to keep making games as reasons for the push to localize their products.

3 people like this

I know on Day 1 during the Q&A Kouki did a world map explanation of why Japan was still an Empire going back to WW2, and one of my friends in my group got to keep the world map sketch with all the silly scribbles all over it.

Not entirely sure why, but people really seemed to love a picture someone took of me when I was texting a friend in my TSF cosplay. Also, thanks Dex for getting my sad attempt at Sumika's pose on camera: 

On 7/4/2016 at 7:57 PM, Jawer said:

Some of my groups loot this year

Kouki mentioned on Day 2's Q&A that he's playing with the possiblity of an alternative sequel centered around akane. I'm not sure if he was just kidding or not since I told him she's my fav character, so take it with a grain of salt. He also mentioned something about an upcoming  game that'll pit Ilfriede(Aspiration) against Master(Total Eclipse).

Throughout the session, he also showed off some Mecha designs he had been toying with. They're quite a departure from what i'd expected from age. The 3 or so mechas shown reminded me of the mechas from 5 star stories and code geass (especially the colorschemes), slim and a bit ornamated

He made a few jokes about how he's not that afraid of showing these sketches to us, saying something along the line of Google translation wouldn't generate coherent enough japanese, limiting its credibility to the japnese fans if posted online.

Nice to see someone else is a Zombina fan! Here's my loot pic (not all of it fit in here, but I got most of it I think...)
mUWR6gI.jpg

6 people like this

11 minutes ago, Dexomega said:

It's a thing of beauty @HYuy I assure you.

Yeah, this may even be meme material :P

1 person likes this

@HYuy Ooof you really did buy one of everything, I should've picked up one of the art books, had a chance before the exhibit opened and then we got a big rush during the autograph session. Pretty small haul for me since the suit takes up half my car, but it's a welcome addition to my Muv Luv shrine. Unfortunately none of us brought home the signed Oppai mousepad.

haulml.jpg

Edited by Discalibur

3 people like this

On 7/4/2016 at 1:51 PM, PulakK said:

I knew it. I knew it would happen. KGNE is getting an official localization after over a decade of failed fan-translations (though the localized anime was really good)

Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird. It's a plane. No! It's Jawer's wallet

Give me an Akane Daki and i'll carry it with me while cosplaying Gohda Jouji for the subsequent AX. 

Edited by Jawer

3 people like this

13 hours ago, HYuy said:

Nice to see someone else is a Zombina fan! Here's my loot pic (not all of it fit in here, but I got most of it I think...)
mUWR6gI.jpg

Noice! Would like to show my loot but I had to ship it back, so won't be here for a few days.

In other news...

Have a bunch more to upload but siphoning through 100+gb of footage will take time. Thought this would be good for now.

Edited by Ikaruga

5 people like this

9 hours ago, Jawer said:

Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird. It's a plane. No! It's Jawer's wallet

Give me an Akane Daki and i'll carry it with me while cosplaying Gohda Jouji for the subsequent AX. 

Gohda Jouji, my favorite Age character. That would be a sight to see!

Oh yea, what a great 3 days. I could not stay the 4th due to family commitments. But I got what I needed out of the con. 

1. Anisong Matsuri

20160702_225249_zpsamf7i8ie.jpg

Absolutely spectacular concert. Jam Project was truly the highlight. I have seen their Animelo Performances on video, but to finally see them up close was epic. I remember SWR Alpha days and all the other songs the group and individuals have done over the years. These guys can ousting people half their age! Great showing also by Yoko Ishida, Nanami, Eir Aoi, Sphere, Luna Haruna and TM Revolution. I knew just about every song they played. It was also nice to see Eir Aoi again in concert. And yes that High Five at the end was a nice touch to close out the night. 

2. Autographs: Well I did not get the ones I planned for but made up for it in other places.

Shoji Kawamori was taken pretty early in the autograph line. Even though I had a shot at him, on Saturday, the Love Live event ran right into his signing so I could not go. But I got a signature, a Escaflowne and VF-1 sketch from him back in AX 2002 so no big loss. 

Suwabe: Archers VA was a little too popular. I brought my Fate UBW box and he was probably the most in demand guest their was. His was the first to sell out and go standby on the first and second days. What was worse, reports showed, he never even made it through any of his priority signings much less standby. Some poor soul had got his priority ticket for 2 days straight and still did not get it. So I figured a wash. 

Sphere: Well the whole group is a dancing, musical, seiyuu group. One who's voice is of Asuna in SAO. Well no luck there. The group did not do any signings. 

Jam Project: HELL YEA!

20160701_134347_zps2dlnlslg.jpg

Makoto Shinkai: This guy is just genuine. Met him 3 years ago at AX as well. Loves to talk and sign for everyone. I did not get a chance to see his new work at the con, but will be buying the bluray when released! 

20160706_192455_zps0uuoezzl.jpg

Igarashi: Also a great guest. Also Bloodstained is how you do a game kickestarter, unlike his neighbor doing Mighty Number 9. Signed and took pictures with everyone. Even brought his own whips for the show. Sadly I was in a hurry, so just a quick shot. 

20160702_153604_zpse0tbviip.jpg

And I was finally able to get the MuvLuv Yoshimune-san signature in the Muvluv Alternative Anthology book I had finally bought after all these years! 

Also got signatures from Michi, Shirahane Nao and Lunatic Joker. 

3. Sketches: And of course my big thing is sketches, shikishis and original art. Well AX was pretty slim pickings. But I was able to stumble into some commissions, and one I had been waiting 3 years to get. 

Shirahane Nao. She is known for drawing Danny Choo's characters. She also has other independent works. I got a nice poster and signature from her. But more importantly, I was able to get her to draw AX mascot MAX. Even better since she did the design for the premier badges this year. 

IMG_0126_zpser2rxw5w.jpg

Lunatic Joker. Joker is a doujin circle brought in by Sekai Project for the last 3 years or so. And each and every year, I had been beaten out of a sketch because they had him signing right at opening of the exhibition hall. Even with premier, I could not beat those with exhibitors passes that were in their hours before. But this year, Sekai scheduled him for two midday sessions. I got a final shot at him on Sunday. However, he was unable to finish his work, so I will have to get it sent to me at a later date. Lets say his line drawings are beautifully detailed. 

Hare-san (Alice in Dissonance) another Sekai Project title, I commissioned a sketch of the main character. However, if anyone was in the Saki panel, knows she got sick and was unable to attend AX. Another one I will be waiting on. I do feel bad, that she could not experience In n Out. (pho not so much...)15932208716339091801.jpg

Another great con, too bad I was not able to meet anyone on the board personally, I was running all over the place trying to get so much stuff done. We'll see you at next AX! 

Edited by OddballYukari

5 people like this

@OddballYukari

What was your number in that Shinkai autograph hellhole of a line? I was number 25, sported a grey jacket, carried a small turquoise backpack, and spoke with a sore throat (thanks japan super live concert). Maybe we met without knowing it.

Edited by Jawer

Number 61. I was ways back. Yea getting in that line was a spur of the moment thing. I was trying to get through the Artist Ally, but I was physically getting sick from the lack of ventilation in the area so I found my friends right at the end of this que and stood behind them. 

ahh so you probably weren't there when that one girl almost got trampled. Man you got lucky.

I had saw the initial line "formation" as my friend described it but walked away from it. But from what he told me, there were allot of confused staffers and arguments as to where the line will start. Good thing I waited. 

Anisong was a blast. Love Live was amazing and Japan Super Live blew my mind. That was just so much fun and the first real concert I've ever been to.

1 hour ago, OddballYukari said:

Makoto Shinkai: This guy is just genuine. Met him 3 years ago at AX as well. Loves to talk and sign for everyone. I did not get a chance to see his new work at the con, but will be buying the bluray when released!

I didn't know who he was nor have I ever seen any of his works, but I went with Ikaruga to watch the Your Name screening and, as I'm sure you could have guessed, that was an absolutely fantastic film. We were way in the back, though, so I couldn't read about half of the subtitles but I still loved it. Looking forward to getting it when it come out on bluray where I can actually read everything.

Here's an album with all of pics I took at AX if any one wants to take a look: http://imgur.com/a/ZXhKs 

5 people like this

Working on a giant Post of Doom for an update later on.

I'm still recovering from Anime Expo, since I had overwork sickness on Sunday - only got a few hours of sleep over the past week + only one meal a day = dead Hirei.

Lots of neat things came out of AX and I'm excited to post them.

...I spent too much at AX. RIP my wallet.

6 people like this

3 hours ago, Hirei said:

For some reason, I can never come out of AX without doing a ton of damage. This is already besides, travel, hotel and premier passes. Then you add VIP ticketed events, and the other stuff that cost extra at the con... yea, big bills to pay this month...

Here are some of Shirahane Nao (Dmyo) commissions done at AX. My brother got the one of Eri next to mine. 

https://www.facebook.com/Dmyo.ShirahaneNao/

Edited by OddballYukari

Man there was so much to do at ax this year, wished i was able to visit the degica booth more and get to meet other Muv luv fans. But yeah, I spent most of my time in Line getting these haha

IMG_2888.JPG

Shoji kawamori autograph on my YF-29 box

IMG_2891.JPG

Suwabe autograph on Fate(UBW) archer's base

IMG_2890.JPG

Minami autograph on haruka's base

IMG_2889.JPG

I was able to stop by degica to grab some muv luv goodies and got my TE and Schwarzesmarken VN signed too.

IMG_2887.JPG

4 people like this

6 hours ago, Hirei said:

I spent a third of my money at the degica booth in my first hour of the first day. My wallet was a distant memory well before the first day was over. I've learned my lesson though. I'm already saving for next year.

3 people like this

On 7/9/2016 at 5:13 AM, Reizei said:

I spent a third of my money at the degica booth in my first hour of the first day. My wallet was a distant memory well before the first day was over. I've learned my lesson though. I'm already saving for next year.

"We can be like brothers and spend all our money in the same places!"

Degica booth was my first stop even with my premiere fan hour early access. When I found out their credit card machine was down and it was cash only, I started to worry because I only had $400 in cash on me...
...but then I think it was worth it to see the cashier's reactions when after I stopped by the ATM they said "You're back for MORE!?".

On 7/9/2016 at 5:06 AM, Tyradra said:

Man there was so much to do at ax this year, wished i was able to visit the degica booth more and get to meet other Muv luv fans. But yeah, I spent most of my time in Line getting these haha

IMG_2888.JPG

Shoji kawamori autograph on my YF-29 box

IMG_2891.JPG

Suwabe autograph on Fate(UBW) archer's base

IMG_2890.JPG

Minami autograph on haruka's base

IMG_2889.JPG

I was able to stop by degica to grab some muv luv goodies and got my TE and Schwarzesmarken VN signed too.

IMG_2887.JPG

Most of the autograph lines were utterly insane with people sleeping out in the lines the night before... I'm impressed you managed to get so many.

1 person likes this

Once I realised I'd be in charge of Degica booth at AX, I gave up all attempts to get signatures :(

Wanted Junichi and Anzai D: