invalidname

Muv-Luv Cosplay

43 posts in this topic

I probably won't be making the jump units, it's pretty difficult to support that large of a piece on a single joint, and they're gonna be dangling and make it really hard to navigate crowds.

For subarms i'm running armature wire through the foam and having them attach to the back plate of the torso.

The pauldrons are the hard part since they're about 1.5x the length of the torso and large extending shoulder pieces have a tendency to sag. I'm probably gonna scale them down so I don't have 4 feet shoulder to shoulder width.

20160215_041420.jpg

2 people like this

Nice setup plan; I've been working on frame setup to try to support everything, including the shoulders - hopefully I'll have the structure setup started next month. I was thinking that scaling them down might be for the best, especially since the head needs to be scaled up anyway so it won't be perfect.

I've been thinking about doing the jump units in corrugated plastic like R/C aircraft wings over a thin PVC frame - we'll see if they can be rigid enough to not just sag, that's the hard part. Definitely contest-only, not navigable - possible at somewhere like Anime Matsuri where there's some rooms with enough clearance, but certainly not walking the dealer's room in that. They make the total transport really awful, too - any of my size estimates put them as almost impossible to ship. I'm looking forward to seeing how your structure goes together - congrats & keep up the good work!

1 person likes this

I saw another 00R build starting on Twitter, they seem to be starting with the head and it looks pretty good so far. Now that I've survived Anime Matsuri, I'll be able to start a bit, though I sat through Goldy's panel at AM and am rethinking how I want to approach the build, hrm. So many options, *sigh* I just need to start with something and see where it goes

7 hours ago, Aetherdeus said:

I saw another 00R build starting on Twitter, they seem to be starting with the head and it looks pretty good so far. Now that I've survived Anime Matsuri, I'll be able to start a bit, though I sat through Goldy's panel at AM and am rethinking how I want to approach the build, hrm. So many options, *sigh* I just need to start with something and see where it goes

That'd be me, just got some soldering supplies so I'm working on some LED set ups. 

Personally I use more of a trial and error approach rather than fully drafting out the cosplay. Getting a good silhouette is much more practical than making it 100% accurate IMO. You can either start with the head or torso, the cockpit area is pretty easy since it's mostly rectangular plates. If you use a 3D model program or Pepakura, it's even easier since it takes out most of the guesswork for making patterns. I personally freehand my layouts though since I make my suits a bit more bulky than normal.

take1.jpg.dcdbedb54b730d42c2e626cd20fbe1take2.jpg.07b92d45d2da795ed40742417b5b60

Edited by Discalibur

3 people like this

Speaking of patches, one more important note! I just received my gift bag and it's worth noting that the patches are slightly smaller than the Cospa individual patches. However, they are in line with the UN Dress Uniform sizes. I can put up a comparison if anyone is interested - also, I'll try to remember but I'll post my vector for the easy jacket rank patch, too. Unfortunately, my last ~two~ patch makers seem to have closed shop, so I'm not sure who to recommend to have them done anymore. :(

1 person likes this

Ok, found my old pics - I think they need some improvements for accuracy, but they're a starting point. From some Total Eclipse screen captures, the rank bar on the left jacket breast appears to use the same rank designations as the dress
uniform lapels do. It varies significantly between scenes and isn't clear in the guide book either, unfortunately. I'm still not sure if they are separate chevrons or if they do have vertical lines to the edges like the lapel ranks do. I'm also not sure if it is three bars, or if the outer bars are just busy animators trying to show the outer trim quickly. Either way, black bars/border match the grey US jacket that Yuuya and Vincent wear, while olive drab green border seems to match the standard black jackets. Alternative seems to show blank or teal solid bars, so presumably they're simplified as well. The right breast bar is only clear on Leon's jacket in like one scene and it appears to give the pilot's unit name. I had one made for Leon's jacket, although the font and arrangement is a little off.

insignia_wideblue_zps373a65c4.JPG

insignia_wideODB_zps14021359.JPG

Just out of curiosity, is anyone here interested in cosplaying a fortified suit? There were like two whole people on theRPF before I gave up on the project due to being overwhelmed on my own schedule. I've been pondering cleaning up the pattern to a real pattern and working on models or at least patterns for the standard boots, hand interfaces and shoulder/collar pieces, but it seems like a lot of work if there's no interest. It's certainly not flattering enough on me 0.o

8 hours ago, Aetherdeus said:

Just out of curiosity, is anyone here interested in cosplaying a fortified suit? There were like two whole people on theRPF before I gave up on the project due to being overwhelmed on my own schedule. I've been pondering cleaning up the pattern to a real pattern and working on models or at least patterns for the standard boots, hand interfaces and shoulder/collar pieces, but it seems like a lot of work if there's no interest. It's certainly not flattering enough on me 0.o

I definitely would, however, I already have outfits lined up for my days at AX. I also need a certain degree of polish to accept any "plugsuit" style cosplay outfit as I believe they require more attention to detail (i.e skin tight) for the outfit to look good. As far as I can tell, the fortified suits are a little out of my hands. It'll be a bigger possibility for me next year. 

1 person likes this

Ok, cool! This was the old thread that never quite finished on theRPF . It's been bugging me that I never quite finished it. Now, a 'close-enough' pattern with a good fit does look pretty good, but you're right, it's very, ah, 'fit-centric'. And, as much as I love several cosplayers to death, there's a ton of room for improvement. I think my big projects are pretty much down to 'doing' more than design any more, so I'll get back to working on it a bit. I should be able to make AX next year for sure, so that's not a bad timeline

1 person likes this

I've been planning to cosplay the UN service uniform, and was wondering if anyone knew any source material that hasdemonstrated the format the UN uses for their dog tags?

For example Australian dog tags have the following format:

• Country ("AS") 
  • ervice Number
  • Surname, Initials
  • Religious Preference 
  • Blood Group

While the USMC use the following format:

• Last name
  • First and middle initials and suffix; blood group
  • Social Security number
  • Branch ("USMC"), Gas mask size 
  • Religious preference

If there isn't any source material to work from, would anyone have any suggestions of which countries format I should use? Or should I just homebrew it?

Hmm, good question - for my Yuuya tags, I left them US Army format. I might suggest 'nation-of-origin' format for whoever you cosplay. Although, Japanese soldiers are Imperial, so they would probably use 'IJMDF' rather than 'JAPAN GSDF for the service branch

1 person likes this

On 2016/4/28 at 3:50 AM, Tits_Mcgruff said:

I've been planning to cosplay the UN service uniform, and was wondering if anyone knew any source material that hasdemonstrated the format the UN uses for their dog tags?

If there isn't any source material to work from, would anyone have any suggestions of which countries format I should use? Or should I just homebrew it?

Maybe something like this:
https://www.ec-order.com/age/shop/detail/AGE0001213

On 5/2/2016 at 2:14 AM, Aetherdeus said:

Hmm, good question - for my Yuuya tags, I left them US Army format. I might suggest 'nation-of-origin' format for whoever you cosplay. Although, Japanese soldiers are Imperial, so they would probably use 'IJMDF' rather than 'JAPAN GSDF for the service branch

On 5/4/2016 at 4:46 AM, FaceEater said:

Thanks both of you! :)

Hey guys PM me if you are going to AX w/ a ML cosplay.

Quick note for the Schwarzesmarken cosplayers - the Yuuko's gift bag patches are slightly under-sized conpared to the Cospa ones, so keep that in mind when getting a set.

Besides, who doesn't love more patches? :D

image.jpeg

Cospa Schwarzesmarken uniforms are up!

http://cospatio.com/event/id/12549

150853.jpg

For US people who want to pay those crazy prices, AmiAmi is probably the best place for Cospa pre-orders. Interesting choices on the uniform - I can understand why they didn't want to put the real NVA logo on the belt. Nice that the harness is leather like in the series and modern German ones, though I'll probably still go surplus. I guess the uniforms in the LN are the NVA rain camo like here, but the anime uses more typical OD like the border patrol used - tough call, though rain camo surplus is a bit easier to get here.

Edited by Aetherdeus
Added pic