invalidname

Muv-Luv Cosplay

43 posts in this topic

Pointy-shouldered gray-and-blue UN uniforms, cute white-and-purple Hakuryo skirts… let's talk about cosplaying Muv-Luv.

Well, since I kicked off the thread, here's the details on the first of my Muv-Luv cosplays. It's pretty simple. No, I didn't make it myself. I just had one of those mail-order cosplay companies make it as a commission. I went with Cosplay House (who I'd previously used for a Rumbling Hearts cosplay that I'll discuss later). They need you to send in pictures along with your measurements, so I based mine on Jerzy Sandek from Total Eclipse, both because it was easy to get screenshots of him in various poses, and also because he's an absolutely amoral SOB who I really dig. Fortunately, the Muv-Luv wiki had two nice full-size images of him front-view and side-view, so from there my screenshot work was mostly finding good art for the UN and PROMINENCE badges for the arms, and a decent view from behind (which I found in a scene where he chuckles evilly after encountering Cryska and Inia discussing Yuuya).

It was about $250 for the commission of both the costume and the wig. Now that they've done the design work for my commission, you can just order it straight up from their website. Though I suppose if you want to do something from the games, you may want to replace the PROMINENCE badge with Hakuryo or Valkyries logos.

I'm not crazy about the wig; it kind of looks like Donald Trump's hair, so I've given up on it and just go as random UN officer. It's not their fault: Sandek's hair is a blonde crew cut, and that's basically too short to recreate as a wig.

For ladies, what kicked off my mind that this was even possible (pointy shoulders and all) is that another vendor, Cosplay Fu, has a Yui Takamura cosplay you can order.

Edited by invalidname
detail on needed screenshots

Funny you should say you got yours from Cosplay House, as I was planning on purchasing that exact same outfit. Guess I have you to thanks for them having it in their inventory xD I'll be attending AX 2016, so hey, maybe i'll catch a fellow UN officer there haha. 

Besides that though, if the jacket from the KS comes in before then, i'll also use that for cosplay as well. I had some plans for a commission order also. Lots of options to juggle around.

1 person likes this

There was a great Sumika cosplayer that showed up to the Visual Novel panel at Sakura-con this year.  

I've thought about trying to put together something for a TSF Pilot, but I'll have to see if I have time for a new project.

Edited by Tanon

2 people like this

There was a Sumika at Anime Expo too this year too. She did a great job on the Extraverse outfit, and I have no idea how much effort she must've put into getting that ahoge to work with her wig, but she nailed it! I went the lazy route and went as an MLA Takeru-look-alike with his light black flight jacket, blue cargo pants, and black combat boots. I already had a pair of black boots from my NWUs, I already owned the Project Prominence version of the pilot jacket, and I managed to find an almost exact match of the cargo pants. Put it all together with a black shirt and it was easy. If I had a Hakuryou version of the jacket I probably would've put in a bit more effort, but even being able to go to AX this year was pretty last minute.

(I didn't think to get permission from her at the time if it was okay to upload online, so unless she were to magically be on here and say it's ok, I'm gonna leave her face covered)

cos1.jpg

For comparison:

cos2.jpg

Edited by HYuy

2 people like this

Ohh, did someone say Muv Luv cosplay? I should have figured who started this thread :)

12195751_980353405360657_2235044999515898990_n.jpg

Yeah, I have the Yukon Base jacket set up for Leon but without the right wig, admittedly - I just haven't picked up the right jacket for Yuuya, although I have all the patches ready. I went with Gibson-Barnes tactical pants to get the right color blue - with a bonus that they're super comfortable! I'm going to go with their Sentinel jacket for Yuuya eventually, I just haven't found a better match for a better price

Edited by Aetherdeus
adding more text!

2 people like this

So, anybody had any luck with a pilot suit? Mine didn't quite come out terribly well so I stopped before trying to do the armor pieces

OK, so it's Friday, good night to get drunk and talk about how to do Mitsuki Hayase Rumbling Hearts crossplay.

First, costume. I'm lazy and ordered from Cosplay House. Actually, it was Googling around for Mitsuki stuff that made me aware of the availability of Mitsuki cosplay, and put the idea in my head. Kind of amazing that they can work with my measurements (6'1", heavy). But that's the point of made-to-order, right? Also, it cost 1/4 of what my Muv-Luv Alternative UN uniform cost, since that's a jacket, shirt, pants, and tie, and the summer uniform for Hakuryo is just a middie blouse and a skirt. (Also, for those who didn't know, there are two Hakuryo uniform styles… Rumbling Hearts is mostly the summer uniform except for some flashbacks, Muv-Luv is exclusively the winter.)

Next, wig. I found a purple wig at a costume shop, but it wasn't nearly long enough. At Anime Central, I went to the Arda Wigs booth with a picture of Mitsuki on my iPhone and they pulled together something that was labelled as "Her Highness Cat Ninja" (WTF?) but comes pretty close. It's in two parts: a main wig for over the head, and a clip-on for the ponytail. This is really convenient, because I can set up the main wig, pull around the side locks and get Mitsuki's bangs right with some hairspray, and then connect the ponytail, covering the clip with a white scrunchie. The color's a little too purple, but it's close enough, and between the VN and anime, her hair runs a range of colors between blue and purple anyways.

Footwear: black athletic or trouser socks, and gray sneakers. Easy and comfortable.

Girls are basically done at this point. Guys, we have more work to do. Skirts sit higher than men's pants: properly worn, they go across the belly button, while men's pants generally sit lower. Keep this in mind when measuring and ordering. Thing is, this is designed to show a little midsection as you move around, and if you have any manly body hair… eww, gross. One time I tried wearing a shaper under it to cover things up, but that was kind of crunchy, so last time I did a white tank to cover it up (not unlike the purple undershirts of the Hakuryo winter uniform). Another thought is how to deal with hairy legs. I went with opaque tights, which look plausibly skin tone, but are opaque enough to hide my hair.

My skin color is much darker than Mitsuki's, so my face doesn't look quite right against the wig. I may try lightening up with makeup one of these times, but I'm not sure.

Accessories: you just have to do the ring to be Mitsuki. I found a reasonable facsimile at an airport gift shop, except that it has three interlocking rings instead of two. Eh, close enough. Funny thing is, a month after I bought it, I discovered that the inside of the rings had the inscription TRUE LOVE WAITS, which is funny because nobody waits in Rumbling Hearts. Also, a yellow watchband helps you pull off her sport chronometer. I thought @kiminozoguy had a tweet with some suggested models, but I can't find it now. Anyways, I have an Apple Watch, so I ordered a knockoff yellow band for it.

563d752f70b95_IMG_2993copy.jpg.a19761174

So, that's basically all it takes. Just remember to be tall, pretend to be Haruka's friend even as you stab her in the back, and don't go out drinking with skeevy guys from the rival swim team.

2 people like this

*takes notes from @invalidname's post*

Hopefully either @kiminozoguy or I will work out a more accurate ring. I'm still working on the mugs - who knew making a stupid dolphin would be so hard?

Well, here's the suit I had ZentaiZentai do for me from a pattern I put together. They were very nice and followed it to the letter, for better or worse. It might be salvageable if I add a hard armor layer under the chest and fix some misaligned parts...any thoughts?

The two best pilot suit cosplayers I know of had different methods: @ka_ha_ru used gloss foam armor over black PU spandex, while @krotonut used non-PU spandex. Though, to be fair, they look a lot better in bodysuits than I do :D

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

EDIT: added notes - they didn't have any dark purple or darker green fabric, which is part of the problem. *sigh* Eh, maybe it'll look better with the armor, I'll give it another shot

Edited by Aetherdeus
added notes

1 person likes this

Hohohoho, a cosplay topic, what a great spot to do a first post.

I actually was working on the UN uniform a few years ago. For the record, I was basing myself of Radhabinhood's design, but was aiming to do a formal uniform Takeru would use. Back then, I used to work on cosplays with my grandmother. I would cut the fabric and help design the pattern while she would sew it together. Thing is, for this costume in particular, it did not go very well. See, my grandmother was slowly losing her mind and she made a lot of mistakes. She last worked on this costume 1 day before falling into a coma and, well, eventually dying. So I end up with a pretty terrible dilemma. I have a muv-luv cosplay that's 3/4th finished, with custom patches done and all, but it's a mess. The collar shape is completely wrong and I have no fabric left for pants, or to try to fix the collar. Part of me would just like to give up and redo from scratch, as I do not have much hope of finding the same fabric again or fixing up the uniform. But then, when I think about my grandmother suffering while working on this until her last day, I feel REALLY bad scrapping that work. What should I do?

Regarding crossplay, I have dabbled in it myself in the past so I will give some pointers, if you don't mind. When doing crossplay, ¸make up can make as much of a difference as night and day. Whenever I crossplay, I always put on foundation, eyeshadow and eyeliner. Not only does it helps hide my beard, but conventiongoers actually think I'm a girl at first glance (not a particularly attractive one mind you, my jaw is still a bit too square, but it gets the job done). This helps avoid awkward looks from the general population and may lead to funny moments with friends when they recognize you (as long as they don't lift your skirt, that is). Also, I shave everywhere so that people don't see any hair. Regarding that, there is a popular belief that if you shave your legs or chest hair, it will grow back and look like a beard. This is simply not true. I can tell from experience that my leg and chest hair, right now, look exactly like they did before I shaved them, years ago. Beside some itching for about 2 weeks, there was no long-term consequences.

1 person likes this

Welcome, @Redcavalier - and may I say I love any Nanoha fandom :D
Actually, I'd say, barring a catastrophic lack of space, keep your grandmother's work as a long-term project of love. When you see a fabric shop, take a look in and peek at the fabrics and fix up bits of it. In the meantime, feel free to make an additional uniform for general use - I think she'd be ok with that. If you need help with replacement patches and such, I'm sure people here would be glad to help. If you need image references, I'm sure @invalidname & I can take pics of anything weird you need to see better. I kind of want to do Takeru's Royal Guard uniform from TDA, but I do love the UN Type-A uniform, pointy shoulders and all.

Thanks for more crossplay tips! Its pretty difficult to start, always good to have references :)

Anyone know where I might be able to find some 3D F-22 models? Trying to work on a TSF cosplay. I've got a lot of materials to do it with already, but as I've learned the last two times I've done mecha cosplay, it looks a lot more impressive if you keep the size of parts pretty close to scale with one another. In the past I've converted 3D files to use in google sketchup to get exact measurements and had great success.

@HYuy - the only ones I've been able to find are MMD (MikuMikuDance), and the conversion is a real pain. I'm working on a 00R suit for next year and am still messing with the models. I'm not sure if there's an F-22, I don't remember seeing one

no pictures of Japanese muv-luv cosplay? theirs is always top notch with pride.

Ok, even though its super early on, I figured I'd post here - I'm working on scaling and unfolding a pattern for the 00R. While I've built armor and done a little unfolding, this sucker is...difficult. My main problem right now is that the head really doesn't seem to fit human proportions nearly as well as I had hoped. Any thoughts? You guys think I might be able to get away with some overscaling without it looking ~too~ weird?

starting.png

I've been working on a Takemikazuchi suit myself, and a thing to note is that most humanoid robots don't follow real human proportions. If you want a tight fitting torso, usually you'll need to scale up the head, as alot of mecha have 8 or 9 head proportions. It's good to take some liberties in the sizing since you want it to fit your body type, the 00R has fairly wide shoulders so if you have a slightly larger head it won't stand out too much.

@Discalibur Cool, thanks - my plan was to sit the head & torso a little high to cheat a little, which should work well. The lower torso will be upscaled too - even I'm not that skinny! The feet should work ok and most of the armor is straight-forward. The other sticking points are the sub-arms and finding space for the dang jump units! I may have to scale them down slightly just to get them in to my car 0.o

I do have a test design for the sub-arms I'm going to have a test set cut from. If it works, I'll make the pattern public on Ponoko. Not looking forward to buying enough hydraulics tho 0.o

Hello everyone! I am looking for some advice for Muv-Luv cosplay, if that's alright to post here. I was hoping to cosplay Katia from Schwarzesmarken for a convention coming up in a few months. I am working on editing a shirt for the BDU, but what I am mainly stuck on the... suspender belt? I wasn't sure what to call it, but that's the closest I can think of. I was looking at military suspender belts online and was wondering if it would be cheaper to buy one. I don't have any experience with making belts, but I might have to edit one if I do find it online. If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. I might be able to post progress pictures too, if that's alright (working on styling a wig too :D ). Happy cosplaying~!

Picture for reference:

Katia BDU.png

1 person likes this

Ooh, that'll be awesome! Ehe, the biggest problem for Schwarzesmarken cosplay is finding WWII German army replica gear that's ~not~ going to take you to some pretty weird sites... - see also Girls Und Panzer cosplay, oof. Its basically a stylized East German uniform, plus that extra high Muv-Luv collar. There's some vintage and reproduction stuff I've seen on the usual etsy/ebay/misc sites - its probably easier and cheaper to buy one. I don't know any particularly good stores for German stuff, unfortunately, but ebay & etsy are probably cheapest - feel free to search and post anything you particularly like for feedback! And good luck with that wig, ahoge are such a pain, and that ponytail is gonna weigh a ton 0.o

23 hours ago, Aetherdeus said:

Ooh, that'll be awesome! Ehe, the biggest problem for Schwarzesmarken cosplay is finding WWII German army replica gear that's ~not~ going to take you to some pretty weird sites... - see also Girls Und Panzer cosplay, oof. Its basically a stylized East German uniform, plus that extra high Muv-Luv collar. There's some vintage and reproduction stuff I've seen on the usual etsy/ebay/misc sites - its probably easier and cheaper to buy one. I don't know any particularly good stores for German stuff, unfortunately, but ebay & etsy are probably cheapest - feel free to search and post anything you particularly like for feedback! And good luck with that wig, ahoge are such a pain, and that ponytail is gonna weigh a ton 0.o

Thanks for the help! I looked up the cosplay you mentioned and I'll definitely refer to it for more references. Right now my biggest concern is the suspender belt (I'll call it that for easy reference). I can't decide whether to buy one fully made or buy it in parts (such as buy the belt and then buy the y-shaped suspenders). I'm thinking more the latter option since most of the "full" suspender belts have different strap designs in the back than the Schwarzesmarken one. Haha, I completely forgot about the ahoge! Or in this case, Katia has two-ish since they are smaller. I know some people use wire to keep the hair standing, but I think I might try some sort of spray if I can. Thanks for the reminder though!

For reference:

"Full" Belt or "Y-shaped" suspenders

Belt idea (1).jpg

Belt idea (2).jpg

Its tough - I use Got2B as do a lot of people. Back-combing, lots of spray & blow dryer heat will do it without wire (though wire is easier). For the suspender belt, I hadn't paid much attention, but going back, it looks like they are Y-shaped suspenders, which would be accurate. Here's some stuff I found on etsy pretty quick:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/248373620/unissued-east-german-army-belt
https://www.etsy.com/listing/263010716/1980s-genuine-east-german-army-belt
I thought I had found one on amazon, but now I can't seem to find it anymore - but really, if you can find a surplus or re-issue at that price, its probably cheaper than buying the strapping & hardware to make it yourself.

Hmm...now I kind of want to do a Theodore cosplay, ugh, I've gotta finish Yuuya & Extra!Takayuki first...

1 hour ago, Aetherdeus said:

Its tough - I use Got2B as do a lot of people. Back-combing, lots of spray & blow dryer heat will do it without wire (though wire is easier). For the suspender belt, I hadn't paid much attention, but going back, it looks like they are Y-shaped suspenders, which would be accurate. Here's some stuff I found on etsy pretty quick:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/248373620/unissued-east-german-army-belt
https://www.etsy.com/listing/263010716/1980s-genuine-east-german-army-belt
I thought I had found one on amazon, but now I can't seem to find it anymore - but really, if you can find a surplus or re-issue at that price, its probably cheaper than buying the strapping & hardware to make it yourself.

Hmm...now I kind of want to do a Theodore cosplay, ugh, I've gotta finish Yuuya & Extra!Takayuki first...

Hmm... in that sense, maybe I'll use wire for ease. I'd just have to get some at a craft store and look up some how-to videos.

Wow, those links... are actually perfect, from what I've seen of the suspender belts. Definitely a lot cheaper and more accurate than what I was looking at on Ebay. Thank you! :D

You should definitely do Theodor-san~! Then we can all meet up and have a Muv-Luv gathering and... ah, sorry I got a bit carried away~ A multi-dimensional Muv-Luv meetup with everyone would be so much fun though! I would just say focus on completing what you can and have fun with it :D

I'm hoping to maybe have time to comb out the wig and ponytail today. Maybe I'll be able to find some wire at a craft store when I run errands and start on that, so I might have a few pictures to show soon~ :) The bangs came in a little long when I ordered the wig, so I have to trim those as well.

You might see me running around in a Muv-Luv cosplay for some cons very soon. Granted I don't have the pilot's jacket or anything, I might have to go lazy route and buy a premade. 

Would like to do a TSF too, I've done foam armor and the like before for other cosplays but I'd be a really short chibi TSF with my size.

Looking forward to seeing what you all come up with :)

1 person likes this

I might bring a basic cosplay without the pilots jacket to Sakura-con if I can find anyone else that might be going. I haven't really had a lot of time to work on anything more complex.

Getting the Type-00 ready for Fanime and AX, hope to see some Beta there xD

t00.jpg

4 people like this