Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David

Suggested in-game detail alteration?

10 posts in this topic

Didn't know what else to call the title.

One thing that struck me as strange in Alternative was Takeru's height remaining unchanged from UNL. From what i know, it's common for people to become taller after working out (because the muscles are becoming larger). Considering the evolution from UNL to ALT, shouldn't the cast become shorter in ALT (relative to UNL) when viewed from Takeru's POV? Like, by around half a head to a head in height difference.

Not sure how valid this point is or how much of a pain in the ass it will be to implement (story wise however it might only need 1 or 2 scenes to explain), but I just wanted to share. My 1st thought was to have it as an optional gaem mode that can be disabled if others find it counter-immersive,

Edit: changed title to something more appropriate.

Edited by David

While people can become taller from muscle gain, it isn't a significant amount and certainly not (half) a heads worth. 

I don't hit the gym, but I've always heard that, ignoring genetics, working out (especially squatting) a lot tends to make your body bigger.

But anyway that's for normal people.

Spoiler

We're talking about someone who experiences hellish training for two months prior to Alt-V, and then two years of him killing himself to the bone in preparation for the mass G-bombings

After that, he's sent to the past with the accumulated muscle mass and repeats the training.

This continues for countless loops. So in my view, he effectively becomes a muscle head who's had anywhere from decades to centuries of training (counting all loops).

That's not a normal amount of training so it should have an abnormal effect on his body size.

Edited by David

@David You may be right, but from a buisiness-perspective, your proposed change makes absolutely zero sense.If anything it would probably confuse lots of readers if they didn't add an explicit explanation to the script.

But it's nice to know that people actually get taller by working out.

1 person likes this

I'm not sure what they would gain by adding this? It's something that doesn't really improve the game at all, and the realism factor is questionable at best.

They build sprites in a variety of sizes already, but use them specifically based on the distance of the character from the POV, rather than how tall a person is.

It's also not something that is taken into account in Visual Novels in general, so I don't really see the appeal.

6 hours ago, G3rman said:

I'm not sure what they would gain by adding this? It's something that doesn't really improve the game at all, and the realism factor is questionable at best.

I was only considering the realism factor, as you put it. If anyone went through what Takeru went through, then realistically speaking, they should see a body transformation into "The Mountain" from Game of Thrones rather than just a lean muscled body. It's more of a minor attention to detail than anything major. Plot wise, you can have the characters spend 1-2 lines talking about how tall he is or something, without resorting to altering the sprites.

But like i said, it was just a nagging thought in my head that wouldn't go away until I shared it.

4 hours ago, David said:

I was only considering the realism factor, as you put it. If anyone went through what Takeru went through, then realistically speaking, they should see a body transformation into "The Mountain" from Game of Thrones rather than just a lean muscled body. It's more of a minor attention to detail than anything major. Plot wise, you can have the characters spend 1-2 lines talking about how tall he is or something, without resorting to altering the sprites.

But like i said, it was just a nagging thought in my head that wouldn't go away until I shared it.

Even with all  the training Takeru has gone through he wont just keep growing, that's not how muscles work. He will hit a certain point where his muscle mass plateaus. Soldiers don't train to be bodybuilders and that much muscle would get in the way anyways, especially for piloting. So unless Takeru starts downing protein every morning and then constantly spends his time lifting heavier and heavier weights, hes gonna stop growing.

11 hours ago, Tits_Mcgruff said:

Even with all  the training Takeru has gone through he wont just keep growing, that's not how muscles work. He will hit a certain point where his muscle mass plateaus. Soldiers don't train to be bodybuilders and that much muscle would get in the way anyways, especially for piloting. So unless Takeru starts downing protein every morning and then constantly spends his time lifting heavier and heavier weights, hes gonna stop growing.

What you're describing is the scenario for normal muscle growth for normal space-time training regime. Takeru's "training regime" (time resetting) is pretty supernatural and the plateau you mentioned may not apply to him depending on how the time reset works.

Excess muscle mass doesn't negatively affect piloting at all: see Guylos and Christopher from Total Eclipse. They're both giants but they pilot without a problem. I would add walken, but he seems reasonably sized in comparison to those two.

But anyway I feel like this argument will just go around in circles at this rate so I'll just stop here.

Edited by David

On 5/3/2016 at 10:07 AM, David said:

What you're describing is the scenario for normal muscle growth for normal space-time training regime. Takeru's "training regime" (time resetting) is pretty supernatural and the plateau you mentioned may not apply to him depending on how the time reset works.

Excess muscle mass doesn't negatively affect piloting at all: see Guylos and Christopher from Total Eclipse. They're both giants but they pilot without a problem. I would add walken, but he seems reasonably sized in comparison to those two.

But anyway I feel like this argument will just go around in circles at this rate so I'll just stop here.

It all depends on the kind of build you have (marathon-runner vs body-builder for instance), but generally speaking larger muscles to a point typically don't detriment piloting at all.  Hell, for AGSM (Anti-G Straining Maneuver) it's better to have stronger leg muscles that you can tense and force blood to your upper body, and depending on how stiff the controls or other parts of your plane/mech can be (if your cockpit canopy doesn't have hydraulic assist for instance), having a stronger upper-body helps too.