SuperKimxD

Has anyone successfully installed Muv-Luv on Windows 10?

10 posts in this topic

I've had a few friends try, but none of them had any success. One, however, installed it when he had Windows 7, then upgraded, and it still works, so it can run on Windows 10. It's the installation that I'm not sure about. I don't recall what problems arose for those friends that tried to install it on Windows 10.

Fun fact: The Muv-Luv Kickstarter officially announced that the new release would support Windows 10. Also, given how the English fan translation is only compatible with the DVD releases from 2004 and 2006, and not the Windows 7 re-releases, compatibility issues wouldn't surprise me at all.

P.S I haven't gotten Windows 10 on my system despite having reserved it, and given the stability issues my laptop's been having of late, maybe that's not such a bad thing after all.

I wouldn't be surprised if some fiddling with the compatibility settings for the installer / app are neccesary.  It worth remembering that at least on win 7 you had to alter your region settings so the same is probably true of win 10

Also, since this is the fantrans we are talking about. the Muv Luv installers are picky about what mounting software you are using.  magicISO I know has issues*;  IIRC daemon tools was the one that I got to work, but the daemon tools software is getting pretty shady.  At this point considering Extra at least should be out any day now in beta it's probably not worth effing around with getting the old pirated version going.

*magicISO mounts the DVD but the installer fails / crashes / whatever

15 hours ago, damnglitch said:

I wouldn't be surprised if some fiddling with the compatibility settings for the installer / app are neccesary.  It worth remembering that at least on win 7 you had to alter your region settings so the same is probably true of win 10

Also, since this is the fantrans we are talking about. the Muv Luv installers are picky about what mounting software you are using.  magicISO I know has issues*;  IIRC daemon tools was the one that I got to work, but the daemon tools software is getting pretty shady.  At this point considering Extra at least should be out any day now in beta it's probably not worth effing around with getting the old pirated version going.

*magicISO mounts the DVD but the installer fails / crashes / whatever

You don't have to use third party software to mount .iso files if you're using Windows 8 / 10.

That's interesting, I wasn't aware of it.  That said, given how picky the installer is about the mounting software might it be having issues with the integrated mounting solution?

1 person likes this

@damnglitch It worked for me on Windows 8 at least, but I've never tried installing it on Windows 10. Upgrading to Win 10 after successfully installing Muv-Luv on Win 8 doesn't seems to break the game though.

Might be too basic, but did they switch the locale top jpn?

58 minutes ago, David said:

Might be too basic, but did they switch the locale top jpn?

Without switching the locale to japanese, the game won't work no metter what so while you're technically right, it doesn't solve the problems with Windows 8+.

Holy cow, after the most asinine processes I've gotten the game to run. Pretty sure the game won't run on Windows 10 natively, trying to run the setup.exe gives an error: "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher." Incredibly helpful, of course.

So, in trying to figure out WTF, I open cmd > D: > setup.exe /?

-This gives an error "unsupported 16 bit application". Can't run due to incompatibility with 64bit version of Windows. Now we're getting somewhere.

Research this error, in Win7 there was "XP mode" which was Microsoft throwing an underlying XP VM to use this functionality. Doesn't exist in Windows 10.

So, I happened to use "VMWare Workstation" (equivalent to VirtualBox) to spin up a Windows XP VM. (Yes - you need to download a WinXP ISO to install XP onto the blank VM).

Through nonsense, I discovered that not all DVD emulators are equal. I was able to "install" MuvLuv through VirtualCloneDrive, but got an error (regarding mfc42.dll). Turns out you need to use Daemon Tools Lite, or something else that works.

-The most recent version requires .Net 4.5 which can't be installed on XP, lol.

-Got an older version, 4.48.1 from FileHippo. (**FYI - new versions of Daemon tools are adware garbage, would recommend against using it, but for no network VMs it isn't much of a concern).

*Remembered to set the locale settings for my new XP VM under control panel > date/region options > region/language options > Languages > install support for East Asian languages.

-Then go to advanced > set language for non-unicode programs to Japanese. Reboot.

At that point things worked pretty normally. Was able to mount the MuvLuv_Extra.ccd file, the installer ran, clicked through Japanese I couldn't understand. After that finished, ran the ml-r7.exe file which is the English patch.

*From the readme: THE VISUAL C++ 2005 RUNTIMES ARE REQUIRED: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=32bc1bee-a3f9-4c13-9c99-220b62a191ee&displaylang=en

-Installed that no problem.

Game runs!! I hope, haven't started playing it haha. What a freaking hassle. I would've taken more detailed notes tbh, but I didn't expect the saga to go on for so long...

Added notes:

-Getting the install files from your PC onto the VM you create (VMWare workstation in my case)

Edit VM settings > options > shared folders. Enabled, set the local PC path to MuvLuv files, checked box to mount as a network drive. Showed up as the Z: drive on my VM and I copied onto the local VM without issue.

-During original (now unrelated) tomfoolery, it wouldn't detect CD2 was inserted (only option was OK button). Had to make sure the VM only had 1 CDROM drive, so I had to disconnect the VMWare CD Drive (stealing the D: mount point). (Done via edit VM settings). Then opened/ran diskmgmt.msc (on VM) > clicked the E: DVDRom, changed the letter from E: to D:. Seems the installer was dumb and would only look at D: for the drive, no isues afterwards lol.

Also, don't flame me for resurrecting a zombie thread - it was unanswered and one of the top results on Google haha. Happy 2018 boiz ^_^. Long live Win7, death to Win10...

16 bit application failure.PNG

Mama we made it.png

1 person likes this

I upgrade all computers I own to windows 7 from windows 10. Yes it's an upgrade. Windows 10 on my top of the line hardware runs incredibly slow (had to put it in a partition when playing with hololens since they only support win 10) to the point of unusable. Win 7 runs fine. Once windows 7 dies I'm switching over to ubuntu permanently.

Edited by limith