THN

Dai-Shogun: Steampunk Mecha on your Oculus Rift

5 posts in this topic

Dear TSF Pilots,

For those who didn't know about it, there's a KickStarter campaign to fund Dai-Shogun, a 3D movie designed to be watched on Oculus Rift.

It's a steampunk story set in Japan during the "black ships" period (late nineteenth century), so expect lots of samurai and mecha stuff.

c11361c4b88f8a55396ca5fc5c347ddd_original.jpg

What sets apart Dai-Shogun from other 3D animated movies (which I personally don't like; traditional animation feels more "real") is the fact that, being made for the Oculus Rift, you can see the movie in 360º. It's like being at the giant robot's cockpit!

But, what power source do these mecha run? Steam? Oil? Nuclear? The sun? The Luv?

Nope!

They are virginity-powered.

Yes, you read it right. Only virgins can pilot Dai-Shogun mecha.

That's why every character writeup lists their virginity status. Some of these descriptions are hilarious.

As usual with many recent Japanese animations, the main character (a bastard son of Tokugawa) is a jerk, but the rest of the cast is pretty cool. My favourite male character is Ryoma Sakamoto, the lovable rogue with a heart of gold. And the waifus... Oh, the waifus.

b63b02d8a9fa94c8e176acc8e172cd36_original.png

Mmmm.... Seems nineteenth century spandex was pretty tight.

About the rewards: Among other things, you can get the render files of the character, mecha or background of your choice. If you're a graphic designer, I think this is a pretty good reward! The files are for Maya, but maybe they work on Blender (I should ask it...)

This project was tagged as KickStarter favorite, so it has some exposure, but (as I said in other threads) it needs much more to get funded.

Yes, they're doing things like a big party in Japan, with Kazuya Sasahara (the director) headbutting bricks. Looks like a sensible marketing strategy to me!

f87540d0086aae989ac9b1da5f81699a_original.jpg

As usual... Check the KickStarter page and, if you like what you see... You know what to do!

1 person likes this

Right, I know about this one ! I've watched the anime a while ago and I was surprised when I came across the KS page.

I'm not too hot on VR to be honest, especially considering the investment you'd need to make for it right now but thankfully prices are going down and the technology is starting to get more attractive.

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, Klashvorn said:

Right, I know about this one ! I've watched the anime a while ago and I was surprised when I came across the KS page.

I'm not too hot on VR to be honest, especially considering the investment you'd need to make for it right now but thankfully prices are going down and the technology is starting to get more attractive.

Hi, @Klashvorn! I guess we feel the same about VR, then... But yes, they're making some progress, and maybe a realistic (and comfortable! Those glasses are HEAVY) system is closer than we think! (We already have the Scarlett Johansson robot...)

Edited by THN

1 person likes this

I don't like this. I want to back it but as long as AWESOME Japan name is there, I wont support it whatsoever.