THN

Chika Chika Idol: New anime by Azumanga Daioh creator

8 posts in this topic

Dear fellow TSF pilots,

As you may know (but I doubt it, otherwise, it would be funded), there's a KickStarter to fund the latest anime by the creator of Azumanga Daioh and A Certain Magical Index.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tokyootakumode/chika-chika-idol-directed-by-hiroshi-nishikiori

It's called Chika*Chika Idol and, as the name implies, is about three teen Japanese pop stars.

The waifus are so cute I can't post pictures here, or there would be a nosebleed epidemy.

Click on the link at your own risk; don't say I didn't warn you!

Sadly, like many other KS campaigns (the recent ChuSinGura 46+1 is a fine example), lack of social media exposure means the project is barely funded.

And there's only 4 days left.

Are you ready for the battle of your life?

Then, walk into your Raptor (that runs on Linux) and fight till the bitter end!

So if you like it... You know what to do!

1 person likes this

Waifus are cute and all, but I had enough idol shit with Love Live! (Maki > your waifu; A-Rise A-Shit) and what with the CG? what happened with the good old hand draw 2D? It's all Sunrise fault.

Sad to see them failing, even if it's just a lolicon bait.

1 person likes this

@THN

Well, as you've just said, lack of sharing didn't help this and to be fair, I personally can't be baited by just mentioning Azumanga Daioh and A Certain Magical Index :P

This production concept does seem intriguing though, not relying on sales as much and being able to better compensate creators for their work. While I understand the industry is harsh, this always comes down to taking risks so it's pretty hard to ask random people to trust you with their money when most of them don't even have a clue what kind of costs are involved in this type of project. And if this wasn't hard enough, you have to draw the line between asking for investment and just being into preorder culture for a quick buck (for lack of better phrasing). So yeah, not an easy venture at all.. not sure the idol only setting serves it well in regards to the global market and what most anime fans overseas want to watch.

2 people like this

$130,000 for a 15 minutes OAV explain why having an anime series of anything costs a lot and it seldom made for any run-of-the-mill story.

Even if you take 30% out of it (for rewards and crowdfunding costs) that still makes an insane amount for 15 minutes.

*Forgets about making an OAV even if my game sells well*

1 person likes this

Hi, @FaceEater ! Thank you for your comments! It's OK, the greatest thing about Japanese anime/manga/videogames/whatever is genre diversity. Not everyone likes giant robots (yes, I know, it's hard to believe, but it's true), or martial arts, or romance, or...

3 hours ago, FaceEater said:

what happened with the good old hand draw 2D?

Quite true! I miss the old anime series from the 70s and 80s (or even early 90s)... The animation looks crude by today's standards, but traditional techniques have a certain charm that goes well beyond nostalgia.

Hi, @Klashvorn , thank you for joining the party!

2 hours ago, Klashvorn said:

I personally can't be baited by just mentioning Azumanga Daioh and A Certain Magical Index :P

Of course! The virtue of Yuuhi's champion is immaculate. He would never leave his duties for such an obvious trap!

(But I had to try, anyway... Desperate time require desperate measures!)

2 hours ago, Klashvorn said:

This production concept does seem intriguing though, not relying on sales as much and being able to better compensate creators for their work.

This can work... But KickStarter is probably not the best platform for that. Patreon would be a better fit... I'm sure there would be lots of fans of Hiroshi Nishikiori (myself included) interested in backing projects like this with small, periodical donations, instead of a big, one-time only expenditure in a very short funding period. Specially if the Patreon rewards for generous pledges are interesting enough! (Like art commissions.)

It's really frustrating... I discovered Chika Chika Idol when I was backing Queen of the Hill & Little Monsters, another project that had nothing to do with it (it's a pretty cool card game, by the way), and KS suggested it on the "thanks for backing" page. And it was a good suggestion... But I can't believe the only way I knew about it was so random.

I mean, I understand teen pop star comedy is not exactly mainstream (although if Disney bought the rights, I'm sure its crappy, flesh and bones Western version would earn trillions of dollars). What bugs me it's the absolute lack of promotion. According to Tokyo Otaku Mode Inc. (the project creator) own description, TOM "shares with the world the latest Japanese pop culture news through its Facebook page, which has over 18 million likes."

I don't have any reason to question that statement. But I'm sure if they had made a better effort promoting this project on several anime, manga and videogame sites (like the revered Nonscpo list that helped so many visual novels), Chika Chika Idol would have been funded.

(Of course, we can discuss if the high tier limited rewards are hideously expensive or not, but that's another story.)

This is the second time in the same week I see this kind of mistakes; the first one was ChuSinGura 46+1, a wonderful Visual Novel doomed to fail due to a very ill-thought campaign. Fortunately, Japan Content cancelled the KickStarter after a couple of days and they're going to do a Prefundia. So if you are interested (47 waifus? Of course you are!)... You know what to do!

6 minutes ago, cabfe said:

$130,000 for a 15 minutes OAV explain why having an anime series of anything costs a lot and it seldom made for any run-of-the-mill story.

Even if you take 30% out of it (for rewards and crowdfunding costs) that still makes an insane amount for 15 minutes.

*Forgets about making an OAV even if my game sells well*

Hi, @cabfe ! Animation costs are outrageous. In fact, considering other animation budgets I know, and the people involved in this project,130K seems pretty cheap to me, so they probably have additional funds from loans, investors, etc.

Sadly, yes, we all should forget that dreamed OVA each one of us have in their heads... Although if someday I win the lottery, rest assured I'll make the most awesome manga/anime/videogame ever for you to enjoy!

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, THN said:

Of course! The virtue of Yuuhi's champion is immaculate. He would never leave his duties for such an obvious trap!

This doesn't mean I can't appreciate other types of work ;)

And what's this about being Yuuhi's champion !? Didn't we go through this already !? xD

5 minutes ago, THN said:

This can work... But KickStarter is probably not the best platform for that. Patreon would be a better fit... I'm sure there would be lots of fans of Hiroshi Nishikiori (myself included) interested in backing projects like this with small, periodical donations, instead of a big, one-time only expenditure in a very short funding period. Specially if the Patreon rewards for generous pledges are interesting enough! (Like art commissions.)

Yes, sounds legit. But they went in with the notion of this being a project so they didn't consider this at all.

13 minutes ago, THN said:

It's really frustrating... I discovered Chika Chika Idol when I was backing Queen of the Hill & Little Monsters, another project that had nothing to do with it (it's a pretty cool card game, by the way), and KS suggested it on the "thanks for backing" page. And it was a good suggestion... But I can't believe the only way I knew about it was so random.

I mean, I understand teen pop star comedy is not exactly mainstream (although if Disney bought the rights, I'm sure its crappy, flesh and bones Western version would earn trillions of dollars). What bugs me it's the absolute lack of promotion. According to Tokyo Otaku Mode Inc. (the project creator) own description, TOM "shares with the world the latest Japanese pop culture news through its Facebook page, which has over 18 million likes."

I don't have any reason to question that statement. But I'm sure if they had made a better effort promoting this project on several anime, manga and videogame sites (like the revered Nonscpo list that helped so many visual novels), Chika Chika Idol would have been funded.

(Of course, we can discuss if the high tier limited rewards are hideously expensive or not, but that's another story.)

This is the second time in the same week I see this kind of mistakes; the first one was ChuSinGura 46+1, a wonderful Visual Novel doomed to fail due to a very ill-thought campaign. Fortunately, Japan Content cancelled the KickStarter after a couple of days and they're going to do a Prefundia. So if you are interested (47 waifus? Of course you are!)... You know what to do!

I saw ChuSinGura 46+1 by mere coincidence in a VN oriented discussion so I definitely understand, promoting shouldn't be underestimated at all. Most people don't just browse Kickstarter, Indiegogo and other crowdfunding sites on a daily basis, looking to fund stuff they find interesting all the time (I certainly don't, my wallet isn't that big). This isn't something which happens on its own if there's no knowledge about the project and an existing fanbase. And even then, you can't just only rely on the fanbase for all the sharing and promoting either. At some point, all arguments are put into place if there's no flow of new information, features or whatever. A crowdfunding campaign is generally more organic than you might think at first, hence preparation and initial supporters being key to the process. Prefundia is one way to start gathering people and narrowing down the base for a campaign. It's not mandatory of course but it can be a really helpful tool if you have trouble grouping all info and feedback while presenting your vision for whatever project you have in mind.

Looking at the card game you linked, I've never played a push your luck type so I don't know if I'd like it to be honest ^^'

But what's this about 47 waifus in ChuSinGura 46+1 ? Why assume interest ? Geez you.. And isn't this topic about the Chika Chika Idol anime instead !? :P

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Klashvorn said:

And what's this about being Yuuhi's champion !? Didn't we go through this already !? xD

Apologies! I don't do it on purpose, I swear! I read Don Quixote every year since I was a kid, so I tend to speak like this, even in real life. (Which probably explains many things I do...)

8 minutes ago, Klashvorn said:

But they went in with the notion of this being a project so they didn't consider this at all.

Maybe they didn't know about it... There are many people out there who never heard about Patreon (or they know about it, but they think is just Pay-per-Devianart, which, admittedly, it is in many cases).

15 minutes ago, Klashvorn said:

This isn't something which happens on its own if there's no knowledge about the project and an existing fanbase. And even then, you can't just only rely on the fanbase for all the sharing and promoting either. At some point, all arguments are put into place if there's no flow of new information, features or whatever. A crowdfunding campaign is generally more organic than you might think at first, hence preparation and initial supporters being key to the process.

Exactly! No matter how hard I try, how... Quixotic I am, even I know we're not gonna make it. I'm only trying to raise some awareness about the project, in case there's a relaunch a few months later, with a better marketing strategy.

It bugs me because, after some several successful campaigns (like Muv-Luv, of course, and Libra), I think most of us have a rough idea of what is needed to get a KS funded nowadays. Of course, it depends of the scope of the project; an indie VN, like The Letter or Quantum Suicide, can't hope to achieve the kind of exposure of a 800 pound gorilla like Battletech or Divinity. So you need different strategies.

30 minutes ago, Klashvorn said:

Looking at the card game you linked, I've never played a push your luck type so I don't know if I'd like it to be honest ^^'

Oh, you should give it a try! The rules booklets are free, and you can pledge for a PDF version of the cards for just 13 AUD (about 8 euros). Even if you don't want to play, the illustrations are either super-cute (Little Monsters) or drop-dead sexy (Queen of the Hill), so you can easily use the cards for other purposes, if you want to. Me? I'm going to use the chibi monsters as cardboard miniatures in my next tabletop rpg campaign.

35 minutes ago, Klashvorn said:

But what's this about 47 waifus in ChuSinGura 46+1 ? Why assume interest ?

Er... Because I thought a Moe visual novel about (among other things) two brunette twin sisters devoted to the code of bushido would be relevant to your interests?

a862b1a5a9fb4a4daa18dece53450528_origina

43 minutes ago, Klashvorn said:

And isn't this topic about the Chika Chika Idol anime instead !? :P

OK! Here are our fearless idols...

a2b18483bd6d485d811d31cd8b6f5b45_origina

56 minutes ago, THN said:

Apologies! I don't do it on purpose, I swear! I read Don Quixote every year since I was a kid, so I tend to speak like this, even in real life. (Which probably explains many things I do...)

Why are you apologizing though ? Haha ^^

57 minutes ago, THN said:

It bugs me because, after some several successful campaigns (like Muv-Luv, of course, and Libra), I think most of us have a rough idea of what is needed to get a KS funded nowadays. Of course, it depends of the scope of the project; an indie VN, like The Letter or Quantum Suicide, can't hope to achieve the kind of exposure of a 800 pound gorilla like Battletech or Divinity. So you need different strategies.

Indeed. There's also the issue of targeting the same audience at roughly the same times. Like, I didn't pledge for Battletech even during their BackerKit although I'm a big fan of the franchise, I just couldn't spare the extra cash at the time. Many of us will prioritize based on circumstances, not just eagerness. I personally believe these projects are also a good opportunity for people to get involved in things they've found an interest in. Just because a project caters to an obvious and specific crowd doesn't necessarily mean it won't convince others, this is part of why you're sharing these with us after all. Likes are generally not exclusive to one another. Besides, nothing ventured nothing gained so might as well give it your all, right ? ;)

1 hour ago, THN said:

Oh, you should give it a try! The rules booklets are free, and you can pledge for a PDF version of the cards for just 13 AUD (about 8 euros). Even if you don't want to play, the illustrations are either super-cute (Little Monsters) or drop-dead sexy (Queen of the Hill), so you can easily use the cards for other purposes, if you want to. Me? I'm going to use the chibi monsters as cardboard miniatures in my next tabletop rpg campaign.

Hm.. I see. I have no one to play tabletop RPG campaigns with these days but reusing the assets seems reasonable enough when you put it that way.

1 hour ago, THN said:

Er... Because I thought a Moe visual novel about (among other things) two brunette twin sisters devoted to the code of bushido would be relevant to your interests?

a862b1a5a9fb4a4daa18dece53450528_origina

You're doing this again, you're trying to get me more interested haha ^^'''

1 hour ago, THN said:

OK! Here are our fearless idols...

a2b18483bd6d485d811d31cd8b6f5b45_origina

Cute :)

1 person likes this