17 posts in this topic

So XCOM 2 was just released and I figured this might be a good opportunity to see if some of you are into this game and its prequel, Enemy Unknown+Enemy Within expansion.

A pretty neat addition they did was the inclusion of a character pool so you don't need to edit ini files to get specific names in your game without having to rename soldiers anymore. Just customize your character (name, nickname, appearance, class, backstory), save and export should you want to share !

This video will illustrate this better (shoutout to ChristopherOdd for this !) :

Anyway, the context is as follows : you've been unable to fend off an alien invasion and you're left with employing guerilla tactics to hopefully help resistance cells all over the world in order to get organized for striking back at the invader.

This game is more story driven than its prequel but you'll still benefit from playing it beforehand so I suggest grabbing it if you're curious.

For those of you who are new to the game, this is a squad based strategy game which is turned based when taking on missions with base management outside of the field.

I've just started playing for a couple hours and it's already looking to be a great experience ! Feel free to discuss anything XCOM related here, I'd be happy to see if there are fellow fans of this franchise :)

Edit:

I should also share the launch trailer as well :D

Edited by Klashvorn

2 people like this

I'm a big fan of the X-COM games in general, loved playing the original ones. I did say I wasn't going to buy this so I could save up for Muv-Luv, but all my friends just kept convincing me and well I bought it xD thankfully I should have enough left over if I don't buy any other game.

So far I am enjoying XCOM 2 but it seems to do a good job kicking my ass, I need to practice my strategy skills it seems.

1 person likes this

I find myself being more aggressive in moving troops both because of certain objectives and because flanking shots help out much more than I recall. I'm using grenades much more as well.

The concealment mechanic is awesome too !

1 person likes this

I been using those tactics more often as well. In the original games and XCOM Enemy Unknown/Within I almost never used grenades but now they won me so many battles. The flashbang grenades are really helpful.

1 person likes this

Oh I got this too sort of on a whim.

Almost died on first mission after tutorial cos they kept always hitting me in cover from miles away?? :VV

Then the one character I made and named after a friend had a main character moment, saved some allies and won <3

2 people like this

@LuckyTouhouStar

Yeah, that's the power of RNG for you !

And yes, the character pool gets you more involved in a way, especially when you've modeled said characters after people, fiction or not !

Hm.. Should I create a Muv-Luv character pool for my next playthrough ? Or wait, maybe I should try to include some of you guys ? Haha :)

1 person likes this

Making a Muv-Luv team on a playthrough might be fun lol

Or rather I might just make them next time I play and mix them with current troops seeing as they can get injured and stuff >>'

....gotta make some villains at some point too.

1 person likes this

I think a Muv-Luv character pool team would work well for this game. I be interested in one if anyone makes it :D

1 person likes this

My budget won't allow me to pick the game until quite some time, so feel free to post pictures of the (un)official Muv Luv team to make me cry even more.

Since the game had mod supports since the very beginning, not only we could get a ML character pack, but maybe a total conversion as well. Get raped by BETA : the 3D experience, featuring all your favorite kinds of unfairness.

1 person likes this

@Dahelziel

Once I finish my first playthrough, I'll start creating a pool. Feel free to share your creations as well by the way ! So yeah, screenshots and completed pool files if you've made them, whether you've made yourself or Muv-Luv characters :)

I was thinking about the modding tools available as well. Firaxis really understands what it's all about considering the popularity of mods for Enemy Unknown/Within, they've made the right call. Besides, it can only boost sales so this works out for everyone xD

A total conversion would be great indeed ! Maybe I'll start looking into the code editor and the asset manager once I've had my share of fun with the game, we'll see :D

1 person likes this

I had a chat with a friend the other day about how well would XCOM do against the BETA. We came to the conclusion that XCOM would die :P

1 person likes this

Without robots such as TSFs and TSAs, they would be hard pressed for sure. It's like, there would be the initial encounter and that's about it. I'm liking the total conversion idea if this can be fleshed out so it can designed and coded at some point. That's going to take a bunch of work though, just thinking about models and such.

1 person likes this

Yeah I can imagine it take a long time to get a full total conversion mod out, but it certainly be worth it. I definitely play it for sure.

I lost count how many times I started a new game of XCOM 2 now, I changed difficulty a few times along with adding and removing mods already available.

Scaling models would be a prime issue, unless enemies are restricted to certain BETA types which could work if the focus is on guerilla warfare.

More character customization options would be less of an undertaking at first I believe. I like the options we have now but I can't help wanting a bit more, especially regarding face types and hairstyles. Pretty sure lots of creative minds will put stuff out in the coming months though :)

I'm sure once given time we get a lot more options available through mods of what we can make :)

Didn't have enough budget to buy XCOM 2, so replaying XCOM enemy within to celebrate its release.

I enjoyed the game not only because of its game mechanics, but also the fact that every next moment might actually have unexpected turnarounds if not careful enough. I just had one EXALT mission with almost my core squad exterminated because of slight miscalculation and RNG.

Very interested to see how will MuvLuv character pool team will be if anyone makes it

Yeah, one screw up can mess things up pretty quickly. I had that just recently with shooting while I intended to throw a grenade initially. I managed to recover from that blunder but not without injuries, which was sort of a miracle all things considered lol

As for Muv-Luv characters, making some of them close enough to their original designs will be hard because of the epic hairstyles but the color range should be good enough at least.

That reminds me that I should probably have myself in my own character pool haha xD