Aetherdeus

Anime Central 2016

41 posts in this topic

Anime Central

May 20-22, Rosemont, IL

Ok, so probably the largest cons for Age/Muv-Luv/etc fandom are Anime Expo, thanks to the work of Age coming and supporting all of us, and Anime Central, thanks to @invalidname running his panel there every year. I'm not sure how many people will be able to make it to AX (I know it's questionable for me), but we'll be at Anime Central and we hope more of you will be! We're still waiting for panel & cosplay meet applications to be processed, but we'll still have an informal meet regardless. Will any of you be able to make it? Is there something you'd like to see us do or bring this year?

Unfortunately I will not be attending Anime Central, however, I will be attending Anime Expo. I genuinely wish I could go to more cons but my wallet can only take so much. 

So for the ones going to Anime Central(or any other cons) - have a blast! The ones going to AX - I'll see you all there. 

I know that feels - I've wanted to go to AX for awhile but the budget is rough. Feel free to start something to meet at AX, though! At the very least talk as many hoodie-level backers as possible in to wearing theirs and getting a BETA horde together :D
If some miracle occurs to get me there, I'll try to put something together

1 hour ago, Aetherdeus said:

I know that feels - I've wanted to go to AX for awhile but the budget is rough. Feel free to start something to meet at AX, though! At the very least talk as many hoodie-level backers as possible in to wearing theirs and getting a BETA horde together :D
If some miracle occurs to get me there, I'll try to put something together

To be honest, this year will be my first year attending AX, so until I can scout things out and get a handle on things while there I probably won't be in any position to plan anything. I'm all for helping out if someone decides to be ringleader though. And getting a BETA horde together would be awesome! Praying the jackets will be shipped to us by then as well. Hopefully that miracle occurs so i'll see you there 

I will be at AX, not Anime Central unfortunately.

Funny, I just ordered a new cosplay wig for ACen this morning.

Edited by invalidname

I'll be at Acen. Considering cosplaying my profile pic, but it depends on the weather. It was super hot in a trenchcoat last year (different costume). I'm that dedicated.

Nice! My wife & I will be at ACen as Yui & Yuuya, so even that's a decent enough group there too. Hopefully I'll find some more once the forum gets around to approving my account...

I'm still wrangling for budget/vacation time for AX - I fear the closest hotel will be SF by the time I work that out orz.

2 people like this

Please do take pictures, we'd love to post them on the Twitter and spread the luv. 

I'd totally join you all :) I actually make a lot of armor cosplays and toyed with the idea of making a TSF costume.

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, Hirei said:

Please do take pictures, we'd love to post them on the Twitter and spread the luv. 

I gotta admit, when @Aetherdeus suggested applying for a cosplay gathering at Anime Central, I did get kind of giddy at the thought of having enough people for a big Muv-Luv / Schwarzesmarken / Rumbing Hearts group pic. We totally have to tweet it back to the âge home office.

Edited by invalidname

1 person likes this

25 minutes ago, Discalibur said:

Squad A-01 cosplay, let's go

20160203_215724.jpg

Aww man, are you actually gonna beat me to it, Discalibur? :D
...if you want a hint, Montana Gold 'Wizard' is as close to an exact paint match as I've been able to find :)

1 person likes this

BTW, for anyone unfamiliar with Anime Central, a few enticements:

• It's the third largest anime con in North America (trailing AX of course, and usually Otakon, but in 2015 Anime North actually took the #2 spot). Attendance is a little over 30,000, so you get lots of variety in panels and industry presence.
  • Despite that, the convention center district could easily handle another 10,000 people without getting too crowded. There are backups for certain events, of course, but it's largely hassle-free, especially since they'll mail you your badge in advance for like two bucks extra.
  • It says "Rosemont, IL", but it's really just Chicago. Rosemont is basically the eastern border of O'Hare airport. In fact, all the hotels in the convention district have airport shuttles, so you don't need to rent a car if you fly in. If you drive, there's an enormous parking deck across from the convention center, and everything is connected by skywalks.
  • Their signature event is music: late-night raves with Japanese DJs, and good concerts (Scandal in 2015, Wake Up Girls in 2014, Kalafina in 2013, plus the conductor of the "Distant Worlds" Final Fantasy concerts is local, so they've had that the last few years too).

Edited by invalidname

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, invalidname said:

especially since they'll mail you your badge in advance for like two bucks extra.

Definitely do that. 2011 was the last year that I didn't do that and I was in line Thursday night from 4-11. Last year there was some mix-up with my group's panelist badges and apparently it's linecon every year now.

I think 2 years ago they had Video Game Orchestra. Really good singer. She drove me to replay Metal Gear Solid 3 and finish Bastion.

Still trying to settle my final exam and work schedule, but if I go I will so be wearing my BETA hoodie. 

2 people like this

Looks like we have a cosplay gathering time on the tentative ACen schedule: 11AM Saturday (at least according to the Google doc referenced here). It's listed as "Muv-Luv/Rumbling Hearts" because we didn't know if people would find it under "âge", and we couldn't squeeze in "Schwarzesmarken" too. Though it would certainly be awesome if we had some cosplayers there rocking their East German fatigues.

Now to see what everyone comes as. If we have enough people committed doing BETA-verse Muv-Luv, I might do crossplay Mitsuki that day to make sure there's actually some Rumbling Hearts.

No word yet on my Muv-Luv panel submission yet - they've decided on the first batch (submitted before Jan 1), but I had edits and questions, so I didn't hit "submit" until the second batch.

1 person likes this

Woo! Well, thanks for checking since it's not like they sent me an email confirmation or anything. Is anybody a member of the forums who could start a thread inviting people to come to the meet? I still haven't gotten approved for that, either. Hopefully they'll get back to you about the panel - I'd kind of be surprised if there are any issues since you've done it before.

Yeah, I doubt I'll have Takayuki or Theodore done in time, unfortunately. Ack, I still need to order a new jacket for Yuuya or a wig for Leon... Hm, I'm not sure if @KirisuEmiko will make it, but I know she's working on Katia

4 hours ago, Aetherdeus said:

Woo! Well, thanks for checking since it's not like they sent me an email confirmation or anything. Is anybody a member of the forums who could start a thread inviting people to come to the meet?

Already set one up on the acen.org forums, and linked back here to say that people on the Muv-Luv forums were already expressing interest in attending.

Current location is the garden area outside the Expoteria. Small, but easy to get to and has flora for a backdrop instead of just concrete walls.

10 hours ago, invalidname said:

If we have enough people committed doing BETA-verse Muv-Luv, I might do crossplay Mitsuki that day to make sure there's actually some Rumbling Hearts.

I'm officially in favor of anyone cosplaying me.

Sheesh, they finally got around to approving my account - still nothing but crickets over there. The public Facebook group appears...unmotivated as well. Whatever, more than one person still counts as a gathering :D

Well, supposedly they just posted that panels should hear no later than Sunday about scheduling - here's to hoping!

2 hours ago, Aetherdeus said:

Well, supposedly they just posted that panels should hear no later than Sunday about scheduling - here's to hoping!

Fingers crossed. Turnout was very low last year, but it was Sunday morning and before the Kickstarter put Muv-Luv on everyone's radar, so, here's hoping…

Sheesh, 10:40? They're really pushing the limits of 'end of the day', there - well, it'll do. Congrats!