Anix

Root Double- Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition Kickstarter

81 posts in this topic

More people than would pay $225, I'd bet. It's still expensive, but it's actually standard pricing for a handheld game in Japan, believe it or not. And for a visual novel of this length, 10000 yen is kind of low. I'm definitely getting the impression that they Japanese side has a lot of control of this Kickstarter.

42 minutes ago, Ian said:

Who in their right mind would pay $69 for a Vita game?!

I would pay 69 USD for this game, just because I have to add shipping, but for a digital copy of a VN, is pretty high (you can get MLA for 49 USD).

24 minutes ago, Anix said:

More people than would pay $225, I'd bet. It's still expensive, but it's actually standard pricing for a handheld game in Japan, believe it or not. And for a visual novel of this length, 10000 yen is kind of low. I'm definitely getting the impression that they Japanese side has a lot of control of this Kickstarter.

99 USD is 11694.37 JPY.

Edited by FaceEater

45 minutes ago, Anix said:

It's still expensive, but it's actually standard pricing for a handheld game in Japan, believe it or not. And for a visual novel of this length, 10000 yen is kind of low.

I don't believe it. Root Double is only 5,184 yen on the Japanese PSN. I think it's foolish to back this project at the $99 tier. You pay far more than the game will possibly cost once it's released, and you receive no advantage in return.

Edited by Ian

1 person likes this

Sekai Project says that they have to modify the engine to include the English script. This was not made for English support and it's not just a matter of copy/pasting it.

It's scheduled for a release one year later because of the amount of work involved. People are to be paid during that period for this work, so the Vita price reflects that.

@Ian - $69 is pretty high for a Vita game, but the high price isn't entirely unjustified. Because the campaign will never raise enough to fund a Vita stretch goal, Sekai Project has to add extra to each Vita port sold so that it can go directly to development of the port. I'm pretty sure that a not-insignificant amount of the porting cost is going to come out of pocket, and this is their attempt to offset that somewhat. The high price is essentially a trade-off that backers have to pay in order for SP to take on the risk of developing the port.

Now, whether that seems fair or not is up to the people who actually want a Vita versionas I don't own a Vita, that doesn't apply to meso this is just an attempt to perhaps explain Sekai Project's reasoning.

And as other have said, it's hard to tell what is Sekai Project's decision directly, and what is requested on the Japanese side.

1 person likes this

Remember people, this is a kickstarter and not an online store, they can price their tiers how they want ( 65$ Takemikazuchi anyone ? ) and it's mostly a matter of how much you want to pay and maybe get neat stuff in return if everything goes well.

But at least the model kits will be kinda unique (signed boxes) whereas here it's just the regular, digital, intangible version, and that's a lot less thrilliing to back unless you're a big fan.Otherwise, you'll just be happy with the regular PC download, or be really patient and wait for the vita port to come out, most likely cheaper.

A bit sad because this means people are less likely to back higher tiers and the funding is overall weaker than it coult potentially be with more reasonable-priced tiers ( but that's the way SekaiProject manage their kickstarters, so no idea how the pricing is done and if the japanese side has its own words on the matter )

Edited by Dahelziel

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Dahelziel said:

Remember people, this is a kickstarter and not an online store, they can price their tiers how they want ( 65$ Takemikazuchi anyone ? ) and it's mostly a matter of how much you want to pay and maybe get neat stuff in return if everything goes well.

But at least the model kits will be kinda unique (signed boxes) whereas here it's just the regular, digital, intangible version, and that's a lot less thrilliing to back unless you're a big fan.Otherwise, you'll just be happy with the regular PC download, or be really patient and wait for the vita port to come out, most likely cheaper.

A bit sad because this means people are less likely to back higher tiers and the funding is overall weaker than it coult potentially be with more reasonable-priced tiers ( but that's the way SekaiProject manage their kickstarters, so no idea how the pricing is done and if the japanese side has its own words on the matter )

Yeah, true. I'm personally in no position to back any KS campaigns because they're essentially investments in unfinished products, and because I'm still financially dependent on my parents which all but rules things like this out. And if I would back it at $225 or what-have-you, I'd do it more to support the project than anything else, since paying that kind of money for any standard edition of a game is plain absurd to me.

In fact, I've only paid $60 and above for games on two separate occasions, and I'd never shell out that kind of money for a visual novel. Generally, for games and visual novels, I wait for the price to drop, pray for a regional price that's convenient for me (thanks, Clannad!), or outright pirate the game (I'm cutting back, honest, but nobody's perfect :D).

Once I have my own income, I may be able to back KS campaigns in the future (and it'd make it easier to buy the Muv-Luv series in case the pricing isn't to my parents' liking too).

Edited by PulakK

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, FaceEater said:

99 USD is 11694.37 JPY

I know it's starting to get pretty far apart, but in my mind, $1=100 yen. Sorry for not googling the daily exchange rate.

18 hours ago, Ian said:

I don't believe it. Root Double is only 5,184 yen on the Japanese PSN. I think it's foolish to back this project at the $99 tier. You pay far more than the game will possibly cost once it's released, and you receive no advantage in return.

Yeah, that's lower than I expected. Still, compare it to our $30 for the PC version. We're outraged at $70 but it's not at all out of the question there. (Though I could be a tool and say that it's $99 for 2 copies)

Backed it. I hate myself for backing a sekai project kickstarter, but I just could not give up on a Nakazawa game.

1 person likes this

17 hours ago, ~Freedom said:

I just could not give up on a Nakazawa game.

Yeah, this part makes it hard on me as well haha ^^'

I don't have the leisure of investing in much more for now so this is a tough call.

1 hour ago, Klashvorn said:

I don't have the leisure of investing in much more for now so this is a tough call.

Yeah, I feel like they picked a really bad time to do this. Kickstarters and VNs aside, there's a lot of regular games coming out soon too. If Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition preorders didn't get oversold and cancelled I wouldn't be able to do this.

2 people like this

$40 (limited)/$50 Vita tiers now available. Who knows why they didn't do this before...

6 minutes ago, Anix said:

$40 (limited)/$50 Vita tiers now available. Who knows why they didn't do this before...

I just hope it's a  "We needed to show the Japanese devs how much you wanted the Vita at a reasonable price and how close we are to fail to do it" instead of "We waited until the end so that people disposed to pledge 100$ or higher didn't have the time nor courage to change the pledge at the last minute in fear the project fails~~".

Sekai, I want to believe, but this KS has been a complete an utter mess (And I'm a backer of WAS...).

22 minutes ago, Marx-93 said:

Sekai, I want to believe, but this KS has been a complete an utter mess

From start to almost the end. Here's hoping some huge screw-up doesn't happen in the next 2 days.

Well, at least the funding's complete. More VNs in English, yaay....:/

Yeah, I'll be sitting this one out. Again, gotta be conservative for now so I'll just be wishing it the best :)

Besides, there's still the Luv to attend to ! :D

Yeah I was gonna get the $40 Vita Tier but then I remembered that Street Fighter V and Fire Emblem Fates are coming out soon and I just got the new Neptunia so with those expenses I just can't do it....I at least put down a dollar for the backerkit if I decide to change my mind in the future though!

Edited by JakatoX
Minor edit

1 person likes this

Hi, guys! Sorry for the radio silence, it's been a very busy week...

But Root Double is funded!!!

The campaign is not over yet (11 hours left when I'm writing this), so you can still back it if you want, to get your Mikeou shikishi fix. (Thank God, they lowered the price from outrageous to a expensive but way more affordable 1500 for B&W art and 2000 to colour...) 

Also, they added PayPal support, so even if you don't have enough funds at the moment, you can help to reach those stretch goals (I'm realistic, and I doubt we get that lovely Magical Girl drama CD... But the fanbook is within reach!!!)

So if you want to (SPOILER) and (SPOILER) because (SPOILER), not to mention (SPOILER)...

You know what to do!

(And now, back to singing Quantum Suicide songs.)

2 people like this

9 hours ago, THN said:

So if you want to (SPOILER) and (SPOILER) because (SPOILER), not to mention (SPOILER)...

You know what to do!

Gosh darn it ! Why do your words strike at my heart ? xD

I-I can't !

2 people like this

Hi, @Klashvorn !

29 minutes ago, Klashvorn said:

Gosh darn it ! Why do your words strike at my heart ? xD

I-I can't !

Yes, you can!

You still have THIRTY FOUR MINUTES left...

Or you'll never know that (SPOILER) happens to (SPOILER), despite (SPOILER). But that's not all! Because (SPOILER), and then you'll discover that (SPOILER) is no other than (SPOILER).

Come on. You know you want to.

Edited by THN

1 person likes this

Just now, THN said:

Or you'll never know that (SPOILER) happens to (SPOILER), despite (SPOILER). But that's not all! Because (SPOILER), and then you'll discover that (SPOILER) is no other than (SPOILER).

Come on. You know you want to.

Ack ! You're so unfair ! :P

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, Klashvorn said:

Ack ! You're so unfair ! :P

Nah... If I wanted to be unfair, I would tempt you with more Yuuhi pics.

I'm just teasing you with all those storylines and plot twists... Because, deep down, you want to know, you need to know, if (SPOILER) is (SPOILER), although (SPOILER) says that (SPOILER) is the true (SPOILER).

Oh, and the assassin is the butler. (Ups.)

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, THN said:

If I wanted to be unfair, I would tempt you with more Yuuhi pics.

Why does it come to this !? lol

6 minutes ago, THN said:

I'm just teasing you with all those storylines and plot twists... Because, deep down, you want to know, you need to know, if (SPOILER) is (SPOILER), although (SPOILER) says that (SPOILER) is the true (SPOILER).

Then I'll just have to endure for now :P

6 minutes ago, THN said:

Oh, and the assassin is the butler. (Ups.)

No way ! I lost the bet ! xD

1 person likes this