Anix

Root Double- Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition Kickstarter

81 posts in this topic

I know there were a couple of threads about other visual novels and other kickstarters that needed some help. Here's a little of both.

I haven't played Root Double myself, but I remember reading about it a while back and backed it based solely on the name of the director, Takumi Nakazawa, who wrote and directed the Infinity series (Never 7, Ever17, Remember 11) and I/O. He's also associated with Koutarou Uchikoshi, who wrote parts of the Infinity series and the Zero Escape series (999, Virtues Last Reward, and the upcoming Zero Time Dilemma). All really good mindscrewy Sci-fi stories that play with the medium very well and would only work as visual novels.

The kickstarter is doing okay but is still in the zone where it's a bit iffy. If you like any of the stories mentioned above, check it out. I've also heard it compared to Steins;Gate.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sekaiproject/root-double-before-crime-after-days-xtend-edition

2 people like this

Hi, @Anix ! Thanks for the shootout. Backed!

I'm always interested in unconventional VNs... I mean, I love classic VNs, too (meaning romance and/or hentai stories, whatever the fluff is)... But it's great having pure, unadultered horror or sci-fi stories.

I really hope this project succeeds... I know the funding goal is high, and the big reward tiers seem too expensive (please note I don't mean they don't worth the cost, just saying it's always harder to find 1 backer able to pay 7000$ than 7 backers able to pay 1000$).

The campaign is now on the dreaded mid-term low tide... But that doesn't mean anything, since many successful campaigns (including Libra, funded yesterday!) are like this.

The good news is SekaiProject keeps adding more affordable rewards and add-ons (the 275$ tier has some cool goodies).

They have only two weeks left... So read the previous link and, if you like it, you know what to do!

2 people like this

I like that kind of games, but the more I know about this game, the less I like it; I would give some money to support VNs in the west (like Libra) but my wallet doesn't want to open for a SP game.

2 hours ago, FaceEater said:

I like that kind of games, but the more I know about this game, the less I like it; I would give some money to support VNs in the west (like Libra) but my wallet doesn't want to open for a SP game.

I don't have much of a history with SP myself, so I don't mind whoever does the job. I understand that some people may be wary because of what happened in the past with them, but they do seem to act in the interest of bringing VNs to the west. Maybe they just need more experience dealing with their customers? I don't know.

I'm more interested in the actual product and it looks good for me.

2 hours ago, cabfe said:

I don't have much of a history with SP myself, so I don't mind whoever does the job. I understand that some people may be wary because of what happened in the past with them, but they do seem to act in the interest of bringing VNs to the west. Maybe they just need more experience dealing with their customers? I don't know.

I'm more interested in the actual product and it looks good for me.

Hmm, I'm curious about why those guys would be so controversial. I mean, I am a little disappointed with their Clannad translation since I find some of the dialogue poorly written and more than a handful of grammatical errors, and I've heard they have a sketchy record of communicating with their fans about things, but is there anything more to it?

The protests against Sekai Project have two main causes:

• One is their overuse of Kickstarter, and the fact that, after seeing Degica and Mikandi's campaigns, their own seem very bad in comparison: they usually lack communication and have few meaningful updates, have bad pricing and badly spaced tiers, etc And are a lot more slower to answer compared to others. Very long delays on almost all of their campaigns and the fact that they still use Kickstarter despite the very successful releases of Grisaia and Clannad on Steam further compound this.
  • Second is a combination of factors and some inappropriate comments by their CEO Dovac (who due to this has basically disappeared from social media to avoid making the same mistake again). Listing would be long, but they basically have angered a significant part of the most hardcore VN audience, who now see them as a company that wants to censore the medium and release only all-ages versions on Steam.

In general, I see some of the hate as fairly exaggerated, but it's true that I have been fairly disappointed by some of their actions.

Oh, I was wondering when this one would come up ! I'm definitely interested in the product as well but I'm currently waiting to see how things go, I set a reminder though. There's also the fact that I'm getting myself a couple other games pretty soon so I have to make choices and be more conservative for now haha ^^'

11 hours ago, THN said:

So read the previous link and, if you like it, you know what to do!

Y-You can't sway me that easily ! :P (lol sorry)

2 people like this

I'd like to play this, but the PC exclusivity is a dealbreaker.

3 hours ago, Ian said:

It looks like the English release will be PC-only but there is a strong demand for a Vita release. It looks like they don't want to do it because of bad experiences they've had with Sony certification. I'll post if it happens.

I backed this one, it seems that the "universe" is pretty well build.

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, Klashvorn said:

Y-You can't sway me that easily ! :P (lol sorry)

Don't worry, @Klashvorn ... I think I have the perfect bribe just right here...

Yuuhi.jpg

13 hours ago, danmarce said:

I backed this one, it seems that the "universe" is pretty well build.

You're right @danmarce ! The atmosphere reminds me in some respects to Fringe, one of my favourite TV shows (mmm... Anna Torv...)

2 people like this

About the Sekai Project controversy...

I only backed other SP before (Narcissu), so I don't know the whole story.

Maybe the VN community's criticism is fair, maybe it's not; I can't honestly say because I wasn't there.

I'm currently having a hard time with a couple of KS projects (not SP related) I'm very involved in, specially because I know firsthand the issues are not the creators' fault. Sometimes, unexpected problems arise during game development. Backers are understandbly concerned (we put our money, after all!), even pissed off... I try to help whenever I can, but a man can only do so much. (And sometimes your help opens a completely different can of worms, as I recently discovered.)

So far, my experience with Sekai Project is good. (Maybe not as good as with other companies, but certainly not bad.) Narcissu seems to be on the right track, and SP's shootout helped Libra the Vampire Princess. A lot. Numbers skyrocketed. That's why I backed Root Double.

In fact, I'd like to make a higher pledge, but the top tiers are hideously expensive (again, I'm not saying they don't worth the price tag, it's just I don't have that kind of disposable income).

That's why this KS needs more backers so badly... Even in the (unlikely) event they cover all the top tier slots (5 for 3K, 3 for 7K), right now it's not enough to get the project funded, much less reaching stretch goals.

So, if you want Root Double coming to the West (I do)... You know what to do!

2 hours ago, THN said:

Don't worry, @Klashvorn ... I think I have the perfect bribe just right here...

Yuuhi.jpg

T-That's dirty ! How could you !? :P

Well, there's one thing which is important when using crowdfunding platforms such as Kickstarter : you're investing, not only securing a product for yourself. You're sometimes taking quite a huge leap of faith for something which may or may not succeed in a timely manner. As such, your investment may or may not pay off, which is a legitimate source for worry. This shouldn't be thought of as plain preordering otherwise you're bound to get burned.

If you clearly don't believe in a group of people/company or don't want to support them, even for the sake of a product you really want, don't force yourself, that's a given. The decision is yours, it's your money after all.

Going to make the pun again but.. there has to be Luv in this ;)

But back to Root Double ! I'm genuinely interested but again, I'm waiting it out for now haha ^^'

1 hour ago, THN said:

So, if you want Root Double coming to the West (I do)... You know what to do!

I'm hearing voices ! Make them stoooooop ! xD

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, Klashvorn said:

T-That's dirty ! How could you !? :P

Do you mean you want dirty pics, too...? Mmm... That could be arranged...

Well, there's one thing which is important when using crowdfunding platforms such as Kickstarter : you're investing, not only securing a product for yourself. You're sometimes taking quite a huge leap of faith for something which may or may not succeed in a timely manner. As such, your investment may or may not pay off, which is a legitimate source for worry. This shouldn't be thought of as plain preordering otherwise you're bound to get burned.

Thank you, @Klashvorn. Yes, I know, crowfunding can be such a mess... I repeat every day the "KickStarter is not a store" mantra, but sometimes I get very attached to a project, specially when my involvement is something more than just a game or even some cool merchandising: designing characters, writing dialogue... That kind of thing.

I'm hearing voices ! Make them stoooooop ! xD

The voices stopped... But the beat goes on!!!

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, THN said:

Do you mean you want dirty pics, too...? Mmm... That could be arranged...

W-W-Wait wha ? I swear you're just out for my skin lol

2 minutes ago, THN said:

Thank you, @Klashvorn. Yes, I know, crowfunding can be such a mess... I repeat every day the "KickStarter is not a store" mantra, but sometimes I get very attached to a project, specially when my involvement is something more than just a game or even some cool merchandising: designing characters, writing dialogue... That kind of thing.

Hopefully our awareness is heightened through sharing as well ! It can be remarkably and surprisingly easy to lose yourself when you don't have anyone around you to give insight so at the very least, we can count on each other's opinions right ? ;)

6 minutes ago, THN said:

The voices stopped... But the beat goes on!!!

Not out of the woods yet huh ? ^^'

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, Klashvorn said:

W-W-Wait wha ? I swear you're just out for my skin lol

Did I read it well? Do you want to see some skin?

The Shogun of Japan is always honoured to please her most loyal suitor. Her twin sister gladly joins the war effort against the BETA, too.

Yuuhi_Meiya.png.7bd85661e6f73cd358c2f4d1

8 minutes ago, Klashvorn said:

Hopefully our awareness is heightened through sharing as well ! It can be remarkably and surprisingly easy to lose yourself when you don't have anyone around you to give insight so at the very least, we can count on each other's opinions right ? ;)

Thank you, @Klashvorn ! You're really nice.

Now, I'll get back to work! Those yuri scenes don't write themselves.

(Did I just say yuri?)

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, THN said:

The Shogun of Japan is always honoured to please her most loyal suitor. Her twin sister gladly joins the war effort against the BETA, too.

Now you're just twisting my words ! The gesture is appreciated though :$

Back to the topic at hand though : Root Double ! :D

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, THN said:

Thank you, @Klashvorn ! You're really nice.

Now, I'll get back to work! Those yuri scenes don't write themselves.

(Did I just say yuri?)

Objectifying some of the most honorable characters of Muv-Luv just to encourage Kickstarter donations? For shame! FOR SHAME!

2 people like this

13 minutes ago, Klashvorn said:

Now you're just twisting my words!

I apologize... I'm Spanish and, as you probably noticed by now, I tend to confuse some words, with unexpected (but interesting results).

14 minutes ago, Klashvorn said:

The gesture is appreciated though :$

You're welcome!

4 minutes ago, PulakK said:

Objectifying some of the most honorable characters of Muv-Luv just to encourage Kickstarter donations? For shame! FOR SHAME!

You're right, @PulakK , there's no excuse for my behaviour. But I'm just a country boy, and we all know what Garth Brooks would say...

2 people like this

Just now, THN said:

I apologize... I'm Spanish and, as you probably noticed by now, I tend to confuse some words, with unexpected (but interesting results).

You have no reason to apologize and plus, you've done this on purpose.. right ? :P

1 person likes this

19 minutes ago, Klashvorn said:

Back to the topic at hand though : Root Double ! :D

They've just posted an Update (with some SPOILERS, so be careful).

Actually, there are no spoilers per se... They're just explaining Root Double's gameplay. But since the game starts "in media res", you'll learn some story bits, and maybe you don't want to until you play.

1 person likes this

I backed this for the digital game despite the fact that I am fairly certain I will hate it. (I really don't like this writer)

I backed a number of Sekais Kickstarters and I can say the hate they get is for the most part, unjustified. It is true that Sekai suck at communication and I believe that's the core of the problem but everything else is just people trying to make them out to be the second coming of MoeNovel. I remember in the Grisaia kickstarter seeing people bitching about Vita versions, hug pillows and a 18 version that was never truly promised. The funny thing was that not of the bitching had really any revelence to the game itself. Sekai even came through and provided an 18 version that was never promised and you can believe no praises were sung that day. Maybe this dovac guy is an ass but so far I haven't seen Sekai at least not come through. I think they are still trying to get the hang of this and they do seem like they are trying to improve their communication. I think the VN community should not be so quick to damn them over for what is the most part, minor problems. 

I have never regreted any Sekai kickstarter I backed.

Root Double goes Greenlit on STEAM! This is great (specially for those GNU/Linux TSF pilots out there like me, as it greatly increases the chances of, at the very least, a SteamOS version).

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=593193737

They've just published another Update... And this time with MORE SPOILERS (not really that much, because the storyline is complex, but still, BE CAREFUL!)

After reading it, I'm glad it confirms my initial impression: the story has a very nice Fringe Division vibe...

God, how I miss Walter's psychoactive milkshakes, Gene (the FBI cow) and, of course, Anna Torv's lovely ears...

Fringe-S4x17-Gene-the-Cow-gets-new-cloth

(See? I'm able to talk about a KS campaign without resorting to ecchi!)

On 1/21/2016 at 0:17 PM, Klashvorn said:

I think that was one of the things that the ML team didn't really understand during our Kickstarter. We had so many addons and stretch goals that only went to upper tiers that it was clear they had this mindset. I've noticed it's more common with Japanese projects, so maybe it's a cultural thing.

On 1/21/2016 at 1:33 PM, THN said:

Actually, there are no spoilers per se... They're just explaining Root Double's gameplay. But since the game starts "in media res", you'll learn some story bits, and maybe you don't want to until you play.

That's the best way to experience this genre, and I'm glad they've spoiler tagged it. I just wish Muv-Luv found a way to get around spoiling the best plot twist in the series right on the front page while still being able to draw in the mech/sci-fi crowd. As someone who went in knowing nothing about it other than it's really good, it's a completely different experience.

5 hours ago, AidanAK47 said:

I backed this for the digital game despite the fact that I am fairly certain I will hate it. (I really don't like this writer)

His stories aren't formulaic, but they all have the same general feeling and many similar ideas. If you don't think you'll like it, thanks for backing, but don't waste your money. 

As far as the Grisaia thing goes, the whole 18+ thing nearly killed that project. For a bunch of dakimakuras...

I think their real problem (aside from bad communication like you said) is that they're very overoptimistic with release dates. 

2 hours ago, THN said:

Root Double goes Greenlit on STEAM! This is great (specially for those GNU/Linux TSF pilots out there like me, as it greatly increases the chances of, at the very least, a SteamOS version).

They said they wouldn't be able to do Linux without getting the game engine's source code, which is pretty much impossible.

2 people like this

On 1/20/2016 at 2:48 PM, Ian said:

Looks like they're still working on getting Vita in after all: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-01-22/sekai-project-is-looking-into-bringing-root-double-game-to-ps-vita/.97788

Kind of sad that I found out through this article three days later, and the article has about ten times the text Sekai did, which was basically "Vita maybe." I guess this is one of the reasons why people don't like them...