PulakK

Voice Acting

7 posts in this topic

I wonder how many people here actively pursue voice acting as a hobby or career ambition (I don't) but I made a rather interesting discovery on YouTube just now. On a whim, I decided to do a search for a Muv Luv fandub, and I've gotten this really good rendition of Takeru's opening moments in Alternative (see? There are good English VOs out there! An English Muv-Luv dub would be AWESOOOME! Ahem).

Anyway, feel free to check it out, and share your own fandubs or what-have-you right here.

2 people like this

Wow, that was really good! :D I'd like to get into voice acting, but I have practically no experience (not many people to practice with since I don't have many school friends) and I'm pretty sure a microphone on a headset from Best Buy wouldn't work so well. I won't give up though! :)

And I agree with you: a Muv-Luv dub would be nice! I tend to watch most shows and such in Japanese, but seeing the English dubs are always fun too~!

Back at high school, I had a part in a play and also had to recite whole monologues in French class at college. Judging from my classmates' and teacher's reactions, I was faring well enough haha. All the cheering got me embarrassed to be honest ^^'

So yeah, you could practice with lines from a play, either alone or with others. It's good to have someone listening to you at some point though.

About equipment, prices can go up pretty fast depending on the setup you're looking for.

A studio quality microphone is important to get the most out of your voice obviously but a quiet place which isn't prone to hearing outside noise as much as possible is just as important. Of course, you can tweak the output to a certain degree but having the best environment possible saves you some trouble.

Anyway, you can already get pretty neat results with certain USB mics coupled with simple software to record yourself (such as Audacity).

One of the mics I have is the Blue Yeti (http://www.bluemic.com/yeti/). It's a condenser mic which is sensitive and has a few patterns to choose from for different recording purposes, whether you're just recording yourself, a two people interview or a whole room. This is a favorite for many and for good reason since it's versatile and not too pricey considering all its potential uses.

I also have a Rode Podcaster (http://www.rode.com/microphones/podcaster) which is also pretty neat but since it's a dynamic, it's not as sensitive so you have to be closer to the mic compared to a condenser to get the best results. It doesn't come with its own stand, so you'd have to invest a bit more into the setup. I have it on a shock mount which is itself mounted on a desk arm for instance.

The next kind of setup includes the use of a mixer but I wouldn't recommend going there for now so I won't mention it more unless you're curious.

So let's summarize ! A good mic and recording software combo will be the best bang for your buck, no need to invest further if you're just getting started :)

Edited by Klashvorn
Argh typos..

Ah, nice to see people this interested in voice acting! I should probably take this opportunity to give another shoutout to the Let's Dub Project; if there's any group more organized and dedicated to the practice of fandubbing, I haven't seen it. They have quite a few things to say about how voice acting works, so any interested folks should definitely give this playlist a look.

Edited by PulakK
fixed broken link

On the note of voice acting, I think this is probably one of the most useful videos I've ever seen on addressing a pretty much all of the common pitfalls people seem to fall into when trying to make dubs (and the rest of the three part series is worth looking at too if you really want to go hardcore, but I wouldn't follow his advice about having an $800 mic setup if all you're doing this for is a hobby for fun):

He's got some pretty stellar joke dub series on that channel too that showcase a lot of what he mentions here.

2 people like this

I did some voice-acting for indie visual novels back in the day. Fun stuff :)

1 person likes this

I'm actually busy providing lines for a couple of Fandub, Parody, and Indie-Game projects at this very moment!

That and I'm doing some of the Voices for characters in my own video game project and fan-animations....In case anyone was curious why I haven't been on the forums in a long while ^_^

1 person likes this