Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PulakK

STAR WARS

6 posts in this topic

Okay, this thread too was long overdue, I mean The Force Awakens has already released! But just because I'm not a Star Wars fanatic who secretly thinks it's "cool" not to be that excited about it, doesn't mean that there aren't any Star Wars fans out here. The series is one of the landmark titles of space opera and science fiction after all, and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it was a major influence on the Muv Luv franchise. So, if anyone's been feeling the hype for The Force Awakens, or if you enjoyed any of the movies, knock yourselves out.

Also, this is an interesting account of the Star Wars fandom, if you're interested: http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-star-wars-broke-hollywood-forever/

2 people like this

I just read that article the other day. Pretty spot on. I do still believe in magic and miracles, I mean look at what we the fans of Muv Luv did. My overall impression of Star Wars VII which I will be happy to discuss: It was an enjoyable experience with a issues, but overall the good outdid the bad so I recommend it everyone. And it did removed that bitter taste of the prequels. Here is my issues in the spoiler tag.

Spoiler

1. Where the fuck did they recover Anakin's saber? Last time we saw it was on Cloud City after Vader blew Luke's hand off. Did they picked it up on the bottom? Did someone caught it midair before it fell off in the lava? Just how? I'm sorry but the sword its a huge plot device in the movie and this continuity error just rubs me off as lazy or uncaring.

2. That R2 bullshit. I mean come on...R2 had PTSD is what it basically boils down to or worse that he lost the will to live so he went low power mode. That is some prequel level of ridiculous.

3. I felt the way the dead of Han got handed a little rushed. It lacked emotional impact. They didn't built up the relationship between him and Ren enough to earn that scene.

4. I know most movies now a days capitalize on the nostalgia to earn its viewers but I think the movie failed to use more of the rich Star Wars mythos (I mean the movies because the expanded universe went to shit with the Disney purchase). Why are there only tie fighters and X-wings in the movies? What about the Tie Advanced, the Tie Bombers, the A-Wings, the Y-wings or the fricking B-Wing (My personal favorite)? Missed opportunity.

5. This movie has a lot of parallels with Episode IV A New Hope. So much parallels its scary. Think about it. Episode IV. A young hero in the desert finds a droid and has to go on a mystical quest to find someone, who has gone in to hiding. Along the way this person finds a lightsaber and joins a person out of common goals and needs. Then this person meets up with the larger rebel alliance and has to go and destroy a super weapon by blasting it in exactly the right spot. And before it explodes an old hero that everybody loves gets killed by the bad guy who is completely dressed in black and wears a mask. What is Episode VII about? Well its about....damn.

6. Captain Phasma is the new Boba Fett. As in, she doesn't do jack the entire movie and just has a cool outfit. And the scene that she is relevant on screen, she goes out like a punkass when she gets captured. She is Boba Fett. Overhyped in the merchandise, criminally underused and pathetic on the movie. Why they didn't give her the electric bayonet fight scene against Finn? That would have been great and would have solve this problem. Or you know, make her be or do something the next movie instead of another toy to sell.

7. Rey. I love Rey. She is a great lead....but she has a bit of the Mary Sue syndrome. I left this point at last because probably it will be the most divisive. Hear me out: She is great at everything. She is like a video game character. Gonna pilot a ship. Boom, I'm a great pilot. Where did I learned that? Scavenging. The ship broke, wat do. Well I'm a scavenger so yeah I am a mechanic too I guess. Crap got captured by the evil guy and he tried to lobotomize me. How can I get out of this mess? Well good thing I can make people do my bidding to get me out. I learn that from....Scavenging I guess? You see my point. When do you feel that she is dire need of help or that she has to struggle to get out her situation? To say it's the Force is kind of a cop out for lazy writing. But there is hope here. We can see more into her character in the next movies so that can solve the issues I have with the character. But until then, make her a more rounded character. As a side note, Finn has some issues too. Like if that is his first day on the job, how can he shoot like a pro later? The Force? Sure, I'll take that. And the fact that his character is kind of 2 note. My favorite scene with her is how she was living as a scavenger. I want that bread!! 

Like I said, this is a great movie. It's brilliant but we must not allow a movie to reach an untouchable pedestal, or anything (books, music, VN's) for that matter. Compared to other movies, this movie beat every expectation. And compared to most stuff release nowadays on theaters, that is a relief. Go watch it, and if you read my spoiler tag, again. There was much more stuff that I loved than I rolled my eyes to and I believe the future of the franchise looks promising, but since I realized I wrote more than I intended, I'll leave that for some other time. G'day.

Edited by Omega

I didn't get that much of a good impression of it. It wasn't bad, but "meh" at best. It was basically a remake of A new Hope with a bigger budget that they still didn't use that much (I mean, if you have a big budget then you could at least tried to go for more impressive space fights? 30 space fighters against a superweapon is cool, but I've seen that already a hundred times: if you got a budget the least you can do is flaunt it)., all the new characters were bordering on bad, and it seems even the movie realized it by giving the returning characters all the spotlight whenever they appeared, it introduced whole plot holes to the lore(

Spoiler

Yep, boys, now non-jedi can use lightsabers! And they don't require the years of training literally every other character in the saga needed! Also, jedis can now use the force almost immediately after discovering they have it! And beat years trained sith with it! And no simply intuition things like Luke, but whole Jedi things! Luke needing to go at least some months to train, Anakin needing a whooping 4 years and everyone else were just scrubs!

),  and brought 0 originality on the table (well, I lie, it has exactly one original point, that they focus on butchering the earliest possible).

I'm sorry, the prequel trilogy was bad, but at least it tried to make something new, at least it left an impression. And the Phantom Menace wasn't that bad too (I'll personally would rank it higher than this one).

I would rank revenge higher than the Phantom menace. Most people would. I will never forget when George said: Jar Jar is the key to all of this. You cannot look good after saying that. That thing was one of the most embarrassing moments in the history of cinema. And well one of the most embarrassing moments of TV was of course the Star Wars Holiday special. To say it was meh is kind of taking it a bit far. Yeah it is the most blockbuster like movie of the franchise. Yeah it has flaws. But meh? Thor the dark world is meh. Avatar is meh. World war z is meh. My point is meh is when you go, "well that wasn't bad but I won't go out of my way to see this again". Also meh has a kind of forgettable factor to it. All the movies I mentioned have a lot of forgettable things. This movie was good. Not great. Just good. A popcorn and soda movie. I will take something good but that I have seen before rather than something new but awful (I am looking at you Jupiter Ascending). There are like 7 basic plots. It's the characters, the setting,  the tone and acting that make all the difference. Muv luv is the perfect example of this. It's the Hero's journey story. A story that has been repeated ad infinitum. But it was all the combination of the elements I stated before that made it excellent. I think there is still room for improvement in this new saga. 

Edited by Omega

1 person likes this

I personally disagree, specially because to me it was forgettable, mostly the setting, tone and characters. Though I see why you can say that.

And really, everyone should already get over Jar-jar. it was clear at who Lucas was aiming, it was clear he failed spectacularly, and it's clear he doesn't stop a decent movie from being a decent movie. Not great, but not as bad as the other 2 that followed or the soulless husk I find Episode VII as.

I can see where your coming from. I think because the movie didn't have a "moment". The Darth Maul battle, the Mustafar battle, the greedo death, the death star battle, the I'm your father moment, etc. This movie lacked such a thing. I felt that it was more cohesive and more evely distributed but I can see why you call it soulless. At times it appear to be a "by the numbers" kind of movie. That's is why the movie to me is the most "blockbuster" like.

Edited by Omega