Omega

How would you go about creating an Extra sequel?

9 posts in this topic

I will be collecting my thoughts and will post how would I do it but in the mean time you guys take a shot at it. What would be in? What would be out? Would you keep all or any characters from Muv Luv? You could answer these or other questions of your own. What would be an hypothetical Extra Sequel. Not Muv Luv Alternative 2, Extra 2. And if you like me thinks Extra and Alternative really is just a giant Muv Luv game, then how would you do the theoretical "Extra" part?

Edited by Omega

1 hour ago, Omega said:

I will be collecting my thoughts and will post how would I do it but in the mean time you guys take a shot at it. What would be in? What would be out? Would you keep all or any characters from Muv Luv? You could answer these or other questions of your own. What would be an hypothetical Extra Sequel. Not Muv Luv Alternative 2, Extra 2. And if you like me thinks Extra and Alternative really is just a giant Muv Luv game, then how would you do the theoretical "Extra" part?

I'd just make an episodic series where each installment is standalone, and update it on a "whenever I want" basis. And I'd keep the role of Muv-Luv's original cast to a minimum, because their story is complete from my perspective, and dragging their arcs on would only cheapen the impact of everything they've been through.

I think George R.R Martin once said he has similar plan for A Song of Ice and Fire once the main story's over. If he lives long enough, he may set a few standalone adventures in that universe, but he won't try to stretch out the plot after he's done with it.

Uhm, an episodic story which shows us what the characters of Alt verse are doing in Extra could be cool. You know, Yui as the heiress of a zaibatsu, Yuuya being a pilot of the US posted at Japan and letting their familiar hijinks take over. Or something with the Day After cast actually being a group of middle schoolers without their insanities and problems and simply having fun could also be very heart-warming. Or any of the hundred side stories we have (like the Eurofront girls now simply being a group of clueless tourists passing a summer in Japan, etc).

1 person likes this

A Battle Royale comedy parody where Sumika won at the end of Extra, and Yuuko initializes a "second chance plan" where the other girls can have a chance at winning Takeru's heart. Sponsored by the Mitsurugi Financial group and the Japanese Government, open to all (this is how the Valkyries and the sidestory girls get involved), Takeru is dumped on the training island from MLU/MLA and has to find a kidnapped Sumika or fall for one of the other heroines trying to win him. Funny encounters, fanservice, with some serious bits towards the end.

3 people like this

On 2015/12/12 at 11:24 AM, Marx-93 said:

Yui as the heiress of a zaibatsu

I always figured the Takamura family could be behind SAGA INTOPROCESS and Yui would be perfect as Valgernon's gamedesign genius. Like, she would take really seriously her Valgernon game mechanics science on top of being a bookworm. Also, being epic rivals with Meiya and Kazusa on their katana skills.

*drolling at all the comedy potential*

2 people like this

On 12/12/2015 at 9:24 AM, jmaisonet said:

A Battle Royale comedy parody where Sumika won at the end of Extra, and Yuuko initializes a "second chance plan" where the other girls can have a chance at winning Takeru's heart. Sponsored by the Mitsurugi Financial group and the Japanese Government, open to all (this is how the Valkyries and the sidestory girls get involved), Takeru is dumped on the training island from MLU/MLA and has to find a kidnapped Sumika or fall for one of the other heroines trying to win him. Funny encounters, fanservice, with some serious bits towards the end.

That's actually a very entertaining concept, haha. Has that concept ever been done before in a VN?

Hmm

If we go a uh with an unlimited/Alt theme.. Though this is also my sequel to mla.

The NEAR shoemaker probe which smashes into Eros asteroid in 2000 attracts the beta to move up their schedule and go to earth. 

Its implied the alt verse gets their attention when they go to mars too early (50s) and that in more our timeline they had already scoured it. 

Eros would infact be a beta hive traveling through the solar system before we attract their attention making them send a hive to earth.. This wouldn't take as long due to eros being a near earth object. 

Anyway plausible sci fi bullshit aside. Set it in 2004, give it all the extra rom com treatment yet again with the end of the extra2 being the sudden appearance of an asteroid coming to earth.. Landing some where in the east to get the setting right. 

Bam. 

Takeru has his strong feelings of dejavu implied at the end of alternative, leading with some plot for yuuko sensi alongside kasumi to find a way to unlock his alternate memories to help the human race fight the beta. 

Make the beta more ruthless, a post cold war less able to counter. One can dream.

I think theres already a sequel out for Extra. I think it was called Muv Luv Supplement.

The only thing that is really needed for a sequel is the hill.  The hill is important in KimiNozo(which is basically one of Muv Luv's prequels), it's important in Muv-Luv, and so it should continue to be so in anything else that takes place in the Extraverse.  If you wanted to keep it relatively near future, I'd say maybe Akane could be a senior, but really, she already has Akane Maniax, so I don't know if that'd be a great way to go.  Essentially though, any story in the Extraverse should probably be a dramedy romance revolving around people who go to or went to the same school as in Muv-Luv.