Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PulakK

Is TYPE-MOON coming to the West AT LAST?!

An official English release of the TYPE-MOON VNs.   34 members have voted

1. 1. When and how will the Nasuvers VNs reach Western shores?!

• Let's not get ahead of ourselves. It ain't happening anytime soon.
    • A Kickstarter, launched in the first half of 2016.
    • A Kickstarter launched in the later half of 2016
    • There will be a Kickstarter, but only on 2017 or later
    • TYPE-MOON doesn't need a Kickstarter! We'll be getting the announcement any day, baby!
    • Who cares? I already have the fan translation!
    • Who cares? Localization is for losers anyway, learn some Japanese!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

30 posts in this topic

Alright, people. CLANNAD did it. School Days did it. And now Muv-Luv's done it. But for some reason the TYPE-MOON VNs still haven't seen an official release in the West.

But it's only a matter of time, if you ask me. I don't think an English release of Fate/stay night is a question of "if", but "when". So, I've set up a fun little poll where y'all can place your bets about when and how this is gonna come about!

Oh, and you can discuss Nasuverse shit here too. Out of all VNs that have a significant Western fan following, this is one series I'm rather unfamiliar with, so I'll be interested in hearing what you have to say.

I kinda doubt it's gonna happen for a few reasons, but if they have been thinking about that I'd guess it'd be possible to see one late 2016. Or something.

I would start a convo about Nasuverse stuff too but I don't actually know much about it outside of F/SN and Tsukihime stories >>'

Oh and Fate/Zero if that even counts, that was p good <3

It's probably impossible. They don't seem to care at all. Dovac said he tried to get in contact with them but apparently their lawyers are insane and they want unreasonably amount of money just to license one game.

And really, Nasu is swimming in money with that F/GO, I don't think they have reasons to do something.

Anyway, that being said, I hope I'm incorrect.

36 minutes ago, Ciel said:

It's probably impossible. They don't seem to care at all. Dovac said he tried to get in contact with them but apparently their lawyers are insane and they want unreasonably amount of money just to license one game.

And really, Nasu is swimming in money with that F/GO, I don't think they have reasons to do something.

Well, you seem to be in the know a bit. Who's Dovac?

Edited by PulakK

Hope for the best but expect the worse. 

Don't think it'll come anytime soon.

Fate/Stay Night is my all time favorite VN, Tsukihime is down there just because it's a bit outdated and no sound.

Heard there's going to be a Tsukihime HD remake, I'd support a kickstarter for that.

Edited by natsucule

2 hours ago, Ciel said:

in other words, as long they are rich, they don't need to localize Fate series game to the west. great, it'll be like "Half life 3 confirmed" all over again. :P

Edited by Otoshigami

It's really hard to say. I get the feeling that the Japanese economy would have to suffer catastrophic failure before considering localization.

3 hours ago, PulakK said:

Well, you seem to be in the know a bit. Who's Dovac?

Dovac is the head of Sekai Project IIRC. 

Oh, and in case you're curious, Peter Payne or the owner of J-List also owns JAST USA while Kouryuu is the head of Mangagamer.

Your fanboy is showing. There really ought to be an option for "Don't know, don't care, don't like Fate anyways".

2 people like this

I seen this title and thought "Holy crap, are they finally bringing over fate?!" and then saw it was just a what if scenario. Don't do that to a Type moon fan man.

I really doubt it. It's possible Muv Luv's success might get them thinking about it but it's not likely. That said if they did put up a kickstarter for Fate or Mahōtsukai no Yoru (Or hell even to speed up that damn Tsukihime remake we were promised) then I would give them all of the monies. All of them.

Edited by AidanAK47

2 minutes ago, AidanAK47 said:

I seen this title and thought "Holy crap, are they finally bring over fate?!" and then saw it was just a what if scenario. Don't do that to a Type moon fan man.

I understand how you feel. I thought the same thing when I saw this thread.

Anyways, I would probably only pay for the base game if it was Fate Stay Night or Mahoutsukai, but if it was the Tsukihime remake, I'd declare bankruptcy. FSN is better than Tsukihime (because of technical aspects more than story), but there's been way too much Fate pandering lately. 

14 minutes ago, encrypted12345 said:

I understand how you feel. I thought the same thing when I saw this thread.

Anyways, I would probably only pay for the base game if it was Fate Stay Night or Mahoutsukai, but if it was the Tsukihime remake, I'd declare bankruptcy. FSN is better than Tsukihime (because of technical aspects more than story), but there's been way too much Fate pandering lately. 

I am a massive Fata fan and I agree completely. I love Fate, I really do but bloody hell Type Moon hasn't made a new IP in 11 years. It's been milked to death, Nasu write something new. Didn't even upgrade the artwork when porting it to PS VITA.

Found this on Reddit, Seems the co-founder of Sekai Project said this about licensing Fate:

While I'm no expert either, but the problem with licensing is always that we are not only speaking about games, but also other things attached to it. The voices for example, with the rights of each voice actor pertaining to the talent agency they're a member of. Music sometimes can be also affected by this if some piece was done by a third party (i.e. the opening and ending).

The problem of the fate series is that it's not only that its popularity already surpasses Key's VN (which means the base licensing cost increases dramatically), but that it's also a very expansive series with tons of material. For the simple Fate stay night Sekai Project would only need the base licensing cost, but it would have no voices nor anything extra. Realta Nua would also require the license of voice actors (and the Fate/Stay night VA have their share of popularity, which would mean that their agency would put the licensing costs higher than others), but since there was additional animation work by ufotable it may also require to contact them and it may even need a separate license(and since they are also a popular animation studio this will raise even more the license cost). And so going on and on.

Hollow Ataraxia? The vita version is voiced, but it also doesn't have any H-scenes: licensing one, or both? (and a repeat of the whole Grisaia chaos). Adapt it?

It's not only the cost, but also the fact that someone is going to need to travel Japan going to each door of everyone involved (Type-moon, ufotable, the voice agencies, etc), and going to convince them to reserve the license to them and give them a reasonable price, all taking into account that the project may fail if the kickstarter fails.

Basically, unless the owner of the license put some interest or will, it's close to impossible.

Edited by AidanAK47

@aiden

dam that is impossible since it went TOO POPULAR and I don't think 900K as a initial fund for KS isn't going to cut it.  it would take a HUGE amount of backers to get this thing moving. do they say how much is it?

Interesting stuff I'm hearing here. It seems the TYPE-MOON VNs have become too successful for our (aka non-Japanese fans') good, and if you want a definitive edition with all the latest voice acting, music and stuff, the licensing is going to cost you.

Of course, there's also the double-standard regarding VNs and anime at play here. The anime adaptations of the Fate VNs have not only been localized for the West, they've even gotten English dubs (and I've heard that studios often forego dubbing anime these days because of business reasons). So while the anime adaptations are already flooding Western markets, the original VNs are much less likely to see a release because it doesn't make as much business sense. 

However, going by the logic of high production values and successful franchises being an impediment for Western localization, I'm finding it rather miraculous that this Muv-Luv KS happened at all. After all, I think Muv-Luv Alternative has even higher production values than the Fate VNs, and I'm pretty sure Age didn't exactly need to try and break into the Western market; the franchise is already a huge success in Japan. Could it come down to whether or not the VN creator cares? Maybe Yoshimune-san wanted the English speaking world to experience the series once he saw that the demand was there, whereas Nasu-san doesn't give a damn either way?

Well, while Muv-Luv is indeed big and has high production values (the original indeed had a budget a lot higher than the original Fate), the franchise is nowhere as profitable  or big as Fate. With Fate you have an earlier 26 episodes anime that despite being reviled was still popular, and even had a continuation movie for UBW (in Japan, anime movies are basically what every studio aspires for, as they've a lot more time, budget and chances to make profit). And then we had Fate zero which basically broke the dam on popularity: now we have 2 game spin-offs, hundreds of related material, 2 anime seasons of what is basically a comedic AU focused only on poking fun, a 26 new anime that originated the joke "Unlimited Budget Works" and a newly announced movie by that same studio. We're talking about a franchise that could afford to even make a 10 minute gorgeous animation of what was the prototype of Fate: this is more animation than the entire of Muv-Luv on what basically was Fate/Stay Night with different trappings and early ideas, and the best was that they did it just for fun without planning on following with anything more (they later decided on making a follow up LN later, based on the reception, but originally they had no such plan)

Muv-Luv in comparison has one 26 episode anime that, while I wouldn't say that it bombed hard, it came close to. Oh, and tons of fan-disks an extra ties in that don't exactly sell like hotcakes. Their most recent large VN was Total Eclipse, that like the anime, it has been fairly reviled and I adventure it hasn't done exactly well. And while Alternative sold well, that was 9 years ago and the all-age ports can't do that much. So yeah, while Age wasn't close to shutting down or anything, they were in a sticky situation (which is also why they're going all out with Schwarzesmarken).

Oh, @AidanAK47, do you have a source on that on reddit? I saw that post on the Sekai Projects forum, but it wasn't by the Sekai project's cofounder. Maybe they decided it summarized it well enough and later posted on reddit, but I thought it was made by a simple fan.

17 minutes ago, Marx-93 said:

Well, while Muv-Luv is indeed big and has high production values (the original indeed had a budget a lot higher than the original Fate), the franchise is nowhere as profitable  or big as Fate. With Fate you have an earlier 26 episodes anime that despite being reviled was still popular, and even had a continuation movie for UBW (in Japan, anime movies are basically what every studio aspires for, as they've a lot more time, budget and chances to make profit). And then we had Fate zero which basically broke the dam on popularity: now we have 2 game spin-offs, hundreds of related material, 2 anime seasons of what is basically a comedic AU focused only on poking fun, a 26 new anime that originated the joke "Unlimited Budget Works" and a newly announced movie by that same studio. We're talking about a franchise that could afford to even make a 10 minute gorgeous animation of what was the prototype of Fate: this is more animation than the entire of Muv-Luv on what basically was Fate/Stay Night with different trappings and early ideas, and the best was that they did it just for fun without planning on following with anything more (they later decided on making a follow up LN later, based on the reception, but originally they had no such plan)

Muv-Luv in comparison has one 26 episode anime that, while I wouldn't say that it bombed hard, it came close to. Oh, and tons of fan-disks an extra ties in that don't exactly sell like hotcakes. Their most recent large VN was Total Eclipse, that like the anime, it has been fairly reviled and I adventure it hasn't done exactly well. And while Alternative sold well, that was 9 years ago and the all-age ports can't do that much. So yeah, while Age wasn't close to shutting down or anything, they were in a sticky situation (which is also why they're going all out with Schwarzesmarken).

Oh, @AidanAK47, do you have a source on that on reddit? I saw that post on the Sekai Projects forum, but it wasn't by the Sekai project's cofounder. Maybe they decided it summarized it well enough and later posted on reddit, but I thought it was made by a simple fan.

Hmm...so I wonder if it comes down to being forced out of your comfort zone. If TYPE-MOON were to find themselves struggling in the near future, would they promptly hop on to the localization bandwagon? I admit that's a cynical way of looking at things, and I'd feel like an asshole for even thinking about wishing such a thing on anyone, but many folks here seem to share the belief that TYPE-MOON's way too successful in Japan to consider officially releasing their stuff internationally without taking their localization partners to the cleaners. The sad thing is, I can see how this behavior makes sense from a business standpoint, though as a non-Japanese fan, I dearly hope this isn't the case.

Well, I would say that it's possible considering the recent successes of some major-hit Visual Novels. But then again, TYPE-MOON already had that much profit merely based on their market in Japan, so they won't take the initiative themselves.

However, with Western localization gradually become a trend, they might actually follow on and similar projects. (I think might be more of following-steps-taken-by-others rather than of the need to promote the franchise)

2 hours ago, Marx-93 said:

This link was provided with the post

https://forums.sekaiproject.com/t/license-suggestions/13/120

But as you can see it doesn't lead to it. Looks like Sekai deleted the forum tread where it was originally from.

38 minutes ago, AidanAK47 said:

This link was provided with the post

https://forums.sekaiproject.com/t/license-suggestions/13/120

But as you can see it doesn't lead to it. Looks like Sekai deleted the forum tread where it was originally from.

Yeah, Sekai Project moved their forums a week ago, and all the old posts were lost. A bit of a shame too. I was a bit confused when you said you found it in reddit. All in all, I mostly wanted to say that while the post was informative I don't think I was from them directly, but from a (knowledgeable) fan, so don't take it as the exact truth.

And @PulakK, another thing to add is that Type-moon lately hasn't, well, made a lot of VNs. Mahoyo was their last project, and it seems it didn't sell much (I don't know any exact numbers, but it seems both Fate Extra spin off games outsold it by a far margin). Now their only known project is the Tsukihime remake from which we know close to nothing despite them supposedly having spent a numbers of years on it already. A lot of people think that Type-moon is planning to forgo VNs and simply go for LNs/manga/anime directly. So there's also that. Overall, I think that Fate will end being officially licensed sometime, but it will be when VNs coming to the West is a lot more standard and it will never probably be with as much care and swiftness as Age and Key seem to be doing.

If they came to the west they will just use Fate, and since I like Tsukihime way more, I have no reason to care/look foward to it.

I would like to read Tsukihime especially with the remake on it's own way.. But, typemoon is kind of... Look how they delayed Melty blood for so long... Even though another studio was working on it... (But, I don't much about the situation. So it's hard to say.) But, I'm glad to read his works. (Didn't Kara no Kyoukai LN get cancelled in the west as well?

17 hours ago, Arvs said:

I would like to read Tsukihime especially with the remake on it's own way.. But, typemoon is kind of... Look how they delayed Melty blood for so long... Even though another studio was working on it... (But, I don't much about the situation. So it's hard to say.) But, I'm glad to read his works. (Didn't Kara no Kyoukai LN get cancelled in the west as well?

Cancelled? I don't think it was ever released, though there is a full fan translation available.

On 12/7/2015 at 2:50 PM, PulakK said:

Cancelled? I don't think it was ever released, though there is a full fan translation available.

Ah, I just remember it was advertised at the end of Faust. But, never came out. So it just had my hopes kind of declined.

@encrypted12345 I'm glad Melty Blood is finally get a legitimate release.

For what I understand, the Tsukihime remake was announced on 2008... and nothing has been heard of it again except for some confirmations on 2011 that they were still on it (my memory is not that good, so maybe I'm mistaken on the exact years). And tsukihime actually was quite a bit shorter than FSN, so unless they tripled the size of the game something odd has definitely happened.

Well, they are working on multiple projects right now. Also, trying to stay a float while being a small company.