VF5SS

Muv-Luv Toy photos

81 posts in this topic

And the last batch I was expecting finally arrived:

P1310043.thumb.JPG.6134315fb3a0a5cb3406b

I mIght as well post what else I have besides the purple Type 00:

P1300945.thumb.JPG.829bad1e116466e45ed60P1310013.thumb.JPG.b7776b6e219dd1c8ff716

Now I'm only missing a few things, the green Typhoon, the F-14 Mindseeker, a Raptor (Infinities version) and the Berkut (this last one is REALLY expensive). However, it will be until next year when I try to get all of those, as I did spend quite a bit in the KS.

On 11/3/2015, 9:24:04, VF5SS said:

nendorcontest.thumb.jpg.0447f0843dd37652

Here's the pic I'm currently using for my account banner. It was my entry for GSC's Halloween contest. 

So spooky ( ;´Д`)

Oh. My. God.

And all these mech pics.. Argh, so envious !

I don't suppose this'd be a bad place to ask about good paints to use for my models? I mean, the only hobby shop nearby sells nothing but Games Workshop paints, and I doubt those will work too well on the 00R 1.5 I got a few months back, or my incoming Raptor EMD Phase 2 from the KS.

I'm sure there's probably official paint kits, so any help? Please? I wanna do sexy mecha photography too. >.<

What, no railgun or OTH cannon version sets, @beamknight87? :D Seriously tho, nice A3 collection - how do they compare to the other TSF kits/figures?

@Shinygami I've only painted one kit so far, but I typically use Mr. Hobby or Tamiya paints. I've used the GW paints before, they're alright. As far as I know there's no official paints, but color matching isn't too bad. Just gotta make sure to prime well enough if you're going to use lacquers or it'll eat the plastic. If you've got a Hobbytown you can get Tamiya stuff, or I order paints from Hobbywave or Gundam Planet usually

@Aetherdeus I've painted... None. Well, technically one, actually, but I was a stupid kid who completely ruined his STAP Droid model. The only other model kit I've had before was the EW Wing 0 custom and that one's parts were all pre-colored and ready. I dunno if there's a Hobbytown nearby, but I'm not adverse to ordering things off the net.

The only painting I've ever done was in the professional capacity, so I'm working off a near-zero reference point here...

Does GW use alot of lacquer paints, or am I reading too much into the fact you said that after mentioning GW?

Oh, I typically use lacquers, particularly from Mr. Hobby, so it was worth mentioning - plus it just came up recently in a gunpla club I'm in, so it was on my mind. I believe GW paints are all acrylics - pretty decent for miniatures, though I prefer Vallejo. If you're hand brushing, there's lots of tutorials that are pretty straight forward. This was probably the first tutorial I ever read:
http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/how-to-build-master-grade-gundams/
Its gunpla and airbrushing, but it should work just as well for other kits. Now, you'll still get a good result without plastic welding, sanding, priming and all that, so don't worry about going crazy on your first one necessarily. I might recommend sticking with acrylics to begin with - they thin easily and aren't nearly as much of a pain.

19 minutes ago, Aetherdeus said:

What, no railgun or OTH cannon version sets, @beamknight87? :D Seriously tho, nice A3 collection - how do they compare to the other TSF kits/figures?

Mmm its hard to say, since I only own 2 TSF kits, the old Type 00R and the XFJ Shiranui in red and white colors (which sadly, suffered a fall and got some articulations destroyed...), but I'll give you my impressions so far:

Takemikazuchis: first, the head sculpt is either a hit or miss. The purple one I have has the face and horn severely warped, so they aren't even aligned! However, the red and white ones came out perfect. Being the very first A3 models, their articulation is really crappy, so don't expect much there. However, their unique style of feet make them quite stable, so they won't be falling forwards or backwards.

Fubuki: its such a VAST improvement. Not only it comes with tons of accessories (missile launchers and the long barrel gun), it can even pull off a perfect kneeling position and it is super solid. Highly recommended.

Gekishin: the fatso is surprisingly great. It's as heavy as 2 of the above mentioned figures together and even introduces the extra abdomen joint, making it even more articulated. One complain in mine is that the left jump unit tends to fall off very easily.

Shiranui: first, you want to get the Joint Strike Package version. It has a far better mold and articulation set than the older models, which were released on par with the Type 00s. The main plus is that you get 2 figures for the price of one (but only 1 set of jump units...), and that you get every weapon, so you can outfit it in any of the battle configurations. However, being too articulated can also be an issue, as some of the joints are too loose, making posing very irritating, since it tends to do the splits or simply fall down.

Shiranui XFJ-01: same as the above. Main difference is that the shoulder blocks no longer have the holes to attach the missile containers, but you do get the parts to display the guns mounted in the pylons facing forwards. The articulation also makes quite a pain to get a decent pose. You also have to be very careful when messing around with the shoulders, as they are so huge they can break the side antennas of the head, so I recommend removing the head first.

F-16A: I don't know why this one of the cheapest A3 out there, because it is freaking fantastic. This one includes an extra balljoint at the top of the neck, so the head can move side to side and up and down, something which the above figures can't do. It's also super sleek. Perhaps the main problems are the feet, which are really, really small, so it has a hard time to just stand up. That, and its rifles are freaking huge (like 2 or 3 times as long as the ones of the Japanese TSFs), making them a little bit unwieldy.

And that's it, I still have to mess with the Tomcat, the Eagle and the Mig-29. So far all the figures seem great to me, but I have to say that the Shiranuis disappointed me a little due to their stability issues.

1 person likes this

I figure I wanna go with something that'll be fairly no muss no fuss and still give me a decent quality, so it sounds like acrylic is probably what I should go for. That, and I'd rather handbrush. I remember watching a Space Hulk mini painting tutorial that used air-brushing and just thinking it'd be too much of a hassle to buy the necessary set-ups for that (This was after buying the game for a friend whose known and loved 40k for much longer than I have).

That and I've got more experience painting by hand. Sure a house is a bigger scale both in canvas and brushes, but I feel more comfortable with a brush in-hand.

Believe it or not, I actually assembled my Takemikazuchi using a razor-knife from my old job to cut the pieces out and shave off the rough edges that might have resulted. Ah, that was a great day and a half of building~

Edit: Though this is a Kotobukiya model I'm talking about, I can attest that the unqiue style of a Takemikazuchi's feet indeed makes it a very stable model/figure. Iunno about A3 versions, but I know the articulation of the feet on the Koto model allows for some fairly dynamic posing.

Edited by Shinygami

With all these A3 Volk Kits I am surprise so little people has a the J-10 in the western side.

Then again my knowledge of ML TSF kits are limited the revo kits and 2 non-scaled kits so I don't know how hard it is to get it.

Edited by LLKKE
minor mistake

Yeah - all I have at the moment are 1/144 Kotobukiya kits. I think I have all of them except the Phase 3, Yui's Phase 2 (man am I tired of building Shiranuis) and the TDA 00R (yet), but I do have the ACTV on preorder. I was sold pretty well on the BETA pack-ins and keeping in scale with other kits, although they lack the non-scale's articulation. Though, I dunno about anyone else, but they have a really high tendency to explode if you look at them funny. I'd kill for even an MG/RG-style kit, oh man, and a destroyer-class. I've drooled over the A3 kits for a long time but never pulled the trigger on one - thanks for the quick reviews, @beamknight87!

While I have been lurking Mandarake for only 2 months so far, it seems the A3 J-10 figure may be somewaht rare, as I have not seen a single one appear there.

Anyways, as I said above, I also have the old non scale purple Type-00R. I painted it with Tamiya purple paint from a spray can, followed by a coat of clear pearl,unfortunately I screwed up and forgot to paint the back of all the clear red parts with silver or white to make them stand out, oh well, I'll get another chance with the 1.5 version of the kit, which seems better designed, especially regarding the hips connectors, which are simply HORRIBLE in this kit. You have to be very careful with the legs when posing, as there is the risk of snapping them. The same goes for the connectors of the jump units and the balljoints of the wrists due to the complete lack of polycaps.

P1300631.thumb.JPG.9df44db90dff57d68913d

P1300630.thumb.JPG.44c8719447888cd3cbbc9

Here's a quick side by side pic with the A3 release. The kit is just a bit taller, being the main difference the more beefy proportions and of course, a better molded head.

P1300748.thumb.JPG.7b2844bbe11cdbd720a63

Also after arriving home, I was able to mess around with the last A3 figures I had to check out, so here are my thoughts about them:

F-14D Tomcat: The poor Tomcats are also some of the cheapest A3 figures out there and I don't know why, because it is also one of the most solid releases. Great sculpt and a whole batch of extras. The fact that it is the only model which can carry those missile salvos in the shoulders is definitely a great plus. If you collect these, you seriously need to get a Tomcat at least.

F-15E Strike Eagle: This is the TMC release, which comes in the U.N. colors and there is a good reason why it has such a low price: The plastic it comes molded in looks REALLY cheap. A close inspection makes it look amiss among other A3 figures. Articulation is also not that great and the huge jump units are a real pain in the ass to get right, as they are really heavy and the peg they use to connect is very weak. Seeing this, I don't think I can recommend this or any other TMC figures if they are of more or less the same quality. Still, this is your only option if you want the HUMANE BURAINSU guy from the Alternative OP sequence.

MiG-29: SHIN AND WRIST CHAINSAWS! Do I need to say anything else? Maybe yes. Being one of the last Volks releases, the quality it oozes is really superior to pretty much the rest of the figures. It has a really sharp sculpt and pretty solid articulations, not to mention a vast range of movement which leaves almost every other release green with envy. Unfortunately in my case, the hips articulations are pretty loose, so it loves to do the splits all the time, making posing somewhat difficult. Also, the knee bend design is REALLY weird compared to everything else, as it barely goes over 90° despite giving the impression that you could do much more with that double joint. One fact that I love about this one is that they really showed this is a lightweight TSF given how petite the jump units are, especially the thrusters, which are really small.

And that's it. I might take some pictures of all of these sometime later.

1 person likes this

On 2015/11/2 0:21:43, VF5SS said:

56369e73db9de_TMCF-22ARaptor16.JPG.a380e

I just love FREEDOM!! 

"Freedom is the sovereign right of every American."

2 hours ago, varivy-xis said:

"Freedom is the sovereign right of every American."

Damn straight!

I'm still working on collecting the rest of the American TSFs. Started with the F-18 nonscale since there isn't an A3 to my knowledge, then I got the nonscale F-22 EMD Phase 2, followed by the nonscale Walken F-22, then the original A3 F-15E, an A3 F-14D Jolly Roger's Special, and finally a random Shiranui Second Fuji School Brigade nonscale kit (partly because Valkyries, but mostly because IRL Camp Fuji is a USMC training base). I just need an American F-16 and F-4 and I'll have all the American full production model TSFs.

2pp63B2.jpg

So I've definitely got a long ways to go to catch up to the rest of you it seems, but I'm focusing on finishing one armed service at a time.

It might take a little bit, but I got a crazy idea in my head for my TSF photography debut. Luckilly, one of the things I need can be found in my own backyard...

Now I just need paints and a few other nice scene setters... Heheheheh...

I was working through my 1/144 backlog today and took a pic of my pearl 00R

image.jpeg.288aa76187f29e492e3b9612a574c1eb.jpeg

Edited by Aetherdeus
EDIT: fixed! Ugh!

6 minutes ago, Aetherdeus said:

I was working through my 1/144 backlog today and took a pic of my pearl 00R

image.jpeg

No, I have no idea why the mobile site indists on loading my pic sideways :(

Very nice !

As for the orientation, it's most likely in the metadata of the original image so that it rotates automatically when you view it on your smartphone. You'll have to flip it manually and save it before uploading :)

Just a heads up for anyone interested, HLJ just put on sale a few Muv Luv kits. The most worthy ones are non scale Takemikazuchi ver. 1.5 and the U.N Shiranui, for 1,700 and 1,600 yen respectively, VERY cheap for Kotobukiya models.

1 hour ago, beamknight87 said:

Just a heads up for anyone interested, HLJ just put on sale a few Muv Luv kits. The most worthy ones are non scale Takemikazuchi ver. 1.5 and the U.N Shiranui, for 1,700 and 1,600 yen respectively, VERY cheap for Kotobukiya models.

50-70% off for those kits which make them very good deals. They also have 1/144 Shiranui Type II Yuya, Su-47pzX1 Berkut and F-15E Strike Eagle on sale.

Yeah, 70% off is such a good deal, reason why I decided to go ahead and order the non scale Shiranui (since in my pledge I went with the 1.5 Type 00R), as well as a display base for it.

With my renewed interest in the franchise, I'll give my best to build and detail as best as I can Takeru's machine, so it can go along with Meiya's next year.

EDIT: And not surprisingly, the non scale Shiranui is already gone, the 1.5 Type 00R will not last long either.

Edited by beamknight87

IMG_8029.thumb.JPG.40f99a8069a01968496e2

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Rest assured I still think Tactical Surface Fighters are the liquid sex of mecha. 

Found a photo I took of the 1/144 Strike Eagle Kotobukiya kit I built a while back...

TSF color Curved.jpg

Edited by AcroRay
scale edit

1 person likes this

Kotobukiya just announced a new non scale Mig-23 (Theo's unit) to be released on April. At first I didn't like either this or the MiG-21, but the chunky proportions are growing on me, so I might buy one of those.

Edited by beamknight87

On 26/11/2015, 12:45:37, beamknight87 said:

Kotobukiya just announced a new non scale Mig-23 (Theo's unit) to be released on April. At first I didn't like either this or the MiG-21, but the chunky proportions are growing on me, so I might buy one of those.

Maybe we should start having an announcement threads for upcoming merchandise releases. It would gain more visibility that way.

I'm getting a bit impatient now that the non scale Shiranui I ordered is on its way, so I decided to mess a bit with three of my A3. It's a shame the MiG-29 is super loose.

P1310283.thumb.JPG.8382375a80181c717b1cfP1310318.thumb.JPG.884d1ffe116b7d49f554dP1310321.thumb.JPG.f4c94644463d165b4deed

2 people like this