Shinygami

Other Notable VNs

86 posts in this topic

From Memory My first was "Fate/Stay Night"

Others I've enjoyed greatly in no particular order because my memory is horrible

• Aselia The Eternal (The gameplay dimmed my desire to 100% and I stopped after 3 routes, though plan to someday go back)
  • Saya no Uta (The psychological element was quite delicious and was unique from things I've read to date)
  • Clannad & Tomoyo After (Stopped after finding out it would be officially released and greatly anticipating it)
  • Little Busters (The first Key/Jun work that I finished completely in VN format. Yui best girl. Bonus End best end. The hints through each playthrough and that feeling of dread and the final despair "It was enough right?" I honestly... didn't think that the choice after that statement would have any impact at all. But in despair. I cried out what anyone would "It's Not enough!!!" and the rollercoaster started again)
  • Re;Write (Lucia, Welcome Gypsy, Akane, Chifuya Gundam, Moon, Tera. Just... too much goodness. I especially enjoyed the different feel in different routes. It was a risk they took. And personally I enjoyed it. Though the romance in one was more of a bromance ;x Anime incoming... Complicated Feelings)
  • KamiDori Alchemy Meister (Gameplay... was too addiciting. Finished 2.5 routes. in middle of Elf route my "Must 100% and get Overpowered acessories" took over. orz Wish I knew japanese or fan patches existed for the other games by Eushully :x)
  • Deus Machina Demonbane (Al Azif :x Managed to get what I believe was the best ending first playthough... still need to go back and finish the other two paths... Disadvantage of falling onto prefered route first)
  • A Profile (Favourite route was the Race Route, But enjoyed them all >_<)
  • Duel Savior (Story started meh, Gameplay was fun. Story got better. Must Happy End. 100% Wewt!)
  • G Senjou no Maou (Revenge, Intrigue, psychological... I stumbled into True Route for first playthrough... Absolutely loved it. For me the True Route is why I will buy this for English Release. I just didn't really connect with the other girls enough to thoroughly enjoy their paths)
  • Hoshizora No Memoria (...I thought it sounded ok. Started playing the 'prologue' and for that very powerful beginning was hooked... I was disappointed from my expectations. Its one of the few VN i've read that has a True Route that I didn't prefer the TR. I loved how each playthrough had those extra scenes in the "Common" path though :x)
  • Edelweiss 1 & 2 (Was enjoyable and the fandisk was full of extra humour ^_^)
  • Majikoi/Majikoi S (Loved them. I'm sorry I can't really explain more than that. Though I need to finish/reread since I started back when they didn't have Miyako or final route completed)
  • Family Project Kazoku Keizoku (all the interralation and faux family dealings followed by choices and seflishness, I felt all the characters had growth for their respective arcs)
  • War of the Human Tanks (Gameplay was so simple and addicting and there was surprising development compared to my expectations)
  • 99 Spirits (:x T O P <_< hehe)
  • Koihime
  • Marunomi
  • Moera Downhill Blaze Series
  • Monmosu Quest (Started for the easy H. Stayed for the story. oh my god the story >_< Alice :x Need to find/finish 3rd chapter and dig up my 100% playthrough of 2nd because if there are missable collectable items they probably are required for happiness)
  • Wanko (Translation was painful somehow finished it)
  • We Love Master (Personal Cute Maids)
  • School Days (The anime made me do it... I still remember the Boat and the sad news that was the reason for such a strange episode)

Looking forward to/BackLog

• MuvLuv
  • Ef ~ Tale of two Cities
  • Clannad
  • Grisaia
  • Fate/Hollow Ataraxia
  • If My Heart Had Wings
  • Chaos;Head
  • Steins;Gate
  • Comyu
  • Yumina The Ethereal
  • Yoake Mae Yori Ruri Iro Na
  • Kanon
  • Air
  • Dracu Riot

Subject to change and updates ~.o sorry for the wall of text ^_^

Basically I'm all for VN with Multiple Routes but the ones that link those into a True/Overarching Story hold a deeper spot in my heart. I enjoy becoming attached and empathizing with characters.

5 minutes ago, Kanshisha13 said:

Basically I'm all for VN with Multiple Routes but the ones that link those into a True/Overarching Story hold a deeper spot in my heart. I enjoy becoming attached and empathizing with characters.

Sounds like you would really like Aoi Shiro if you don't mind heavy yuri overtones.

12 minutes ago, Kanshisha13 said:

Aselia The Eternal (The gameplay dimmed my desire to 100% and I stopped after 3 routes, though plan to someday go back)

The gameplay dimmed my desire to touch this at all, as I really don't like the genre. It's too bad; I think the story looks cool.

I noticed you didn't say anything about Ever17 in your post. Did you forget, or do you really have no interest in the Infinity series? It seems like something you would enjoy a lot. I also recommend Hatoful Boyfriend. It's short and silly, but it is worth it.

I whole heartily recommend giving Cho Dengeki Stryker a go. Its one of my top favorites now.

As found on vndb:

Yamato has a great sense of justice and aspires to be a hero. He always tried to protect his childhood friend Haruna when she’s being bullied, but he always got beat down instead. One day, Haruna was going to move away and wanted to say goodbye to him. However, he despaired that he was never able to protect her once in the end.

He met an old man called the ‘Memory Collector’, who could grant any wish in exchange for one’s memories. Yamato wished to become a Stryker, the hero from a manga he loved. Several years later, some people with superpowers called the Balbora Empire appeared in the city Haruna was living in. The police and army were powerless in stopping them, but one warrior showed up and beat them with one kick. He was the hero of the manga Dengeki Stryker.

Its set up similar to Fate/Stay Night with those seperate "episode" play throughs. Available on MangaGamer (all ages version on Steam) with english subtitles, and some bonus content added. I think a couple of the arcs are brand new to the translated version. Made by Overdrive, the same guys who made KiraKira. So if the ears in KiraKira bothered you, you'll also be annoyed in this one. ha ha

Check out that opening movie: ^_^

As previously mentioned Kamidori Alchemy Master is pretty fun. I'm a bit into it, probably 25 hours or so with no end in sight for my first play through

5 hours ago, encrypted12345 said:

Marunomi was bizarrely heartwarming. Not for the faint of heart though; lolis everywhere.

Speaking of not for the faint of heart, I'm hyped for Euphoria. Already preordered it.

Knew nothing about Marunomi going in and my reactions went "Alright..." then "Oh? What?" to "Oh god, what the fuck" to "what have I gotten into, I'm super not into this" to "Hmmm.... I want to see where this goes" and finished with "....huh.... that was very bittersweet... but I feel so.... content and happy...I actually enjoyed that very much..."

Skimmed through most of the H-scenes since most weren't my taste, but I got hooked onto and loved the story so it ended up becoming one of my top favorites.

9 hours ago, Jaev said:

I whole heartily recommend giving Cho Dengeki Stryker a go. Its one of my top favorites now.

This, and how.

I mean, it's got Masaaki Endoh music. What more could you want?

Although, I will say the art-style suffers mildly from the Overdrive look.

Speaking of Overdrive... DEARDROPS!!!! Music! So much ROCK!

Edit: Actually, alot of Overdrive VNs have good music. Try 'em out sometime, guys.

Edited by Shinygami

An obligatory thread in a VN forum, let's get this started:

• Rewrite: It's my favorite VN, sorry Muv-Luv, but I just... well, the characters were too good, god dammit. Waiting for a Steam Release (hopefully next year), and for that anime...
  • Muv-Luv Alternative: And Muv-Luv comes second. Obvious reasons which everyone here knows.
  • Ever17 -The Out of Infinity-: That. Fucking. True. End. Holy body of Sumika, that scene was glorious, never forget. Overall pretty good VN of course.
  • G-Senjou no Maou: Great villains, Maou and Gonzou were the stars of the story. Great main heroine, Haru is one of my favorite characters out there. And a great OST. Looking forward for the Steam release.
  • Tsukihime: I'm a Type-Moon fanboy... that's all. Rebirth when?!
  • Kagetsu Tohya: Tsukihime's fandisc. Crazy but cool.
  • Swan Song: Eh... this... I... don't know what to say.
  • Fate/Stay Night: First VN. I wonder how, started playing it two months after I watched my first anime.
  • Fate/Hollow Ataraxia: Great fandisc, obligatory for every Fate fan.
  • Planetarian: A little but great story, liked a lot.
  • Steins;Gate: As I watched the anime first (which is damn good), the VN was just a complement of the story for me, so nothing to comment.
  • Narcissu: Cute and bittersweet.

And for now, I'm playing Little Busters!. For now it's great, and that announcement last week was very exciting, looking forwad for Sasami, Futaki and Saya routes.

My backlog of course is enourmous: Clannad, Kara no Shoujo, Shikkoku no Sharnoth, Grisaia Trilogy and many others. I think I have enough VNs for two years or beyond, lol.

1 person likes this

Honestly I'm not sure what my first Visual Novel was, I would say it boils down to either Tsukihime (which I read something like 10ish years ago?) or Ace Attorney, but Tsukihime feels like it's right.  I've had an unfortunate on and off relationship with them, I can sometimes start a VN but it will take me a long time to finish it, no matter how much I enjoy it.  My latest example would actually be G-Senjou no Mou, I started that at least 3 or 4 years ago, and I only finished it literally last week.  

My favorite Visual Novels? well personally I'm not one for rankings much, as my tastes change almost all the time, but I can say some of my top favorites are these (and this is in no particular order)

Muv-Luv (Meiya is my Waifu, but I would say Mana and Yuuko tie with her)

Fate/Stay Night (I am  MASSIVE Saber fanboy, I will proudly admit this to my dieing days that she's my #1 Fate Waifu.  I even spent over $100 to get the Limited Edition Royal Dress Saber they recently released)

G-Senjou no Maou (it has something of a slow start, and the side routes aren't very good, but when it gets into gear it is just non-stop)

Virtue's Last Reward, I really enjoyed playing this one, that said it also suffers a little if your familiar with the writers previous works because for good or bad, the man has a VERY distinctive style of writing and it's easy to figure out twists ahead of time if you've played Ever17.  Actually story wise I thought VLR was a big improvement over 999 (Which I still loved) but gameplay wise, I thought 999 was better since a lot of puzzles in VLR are just really annoying and obtuse, the bad kind of difficulty.  

Ever17 is one of my earliest VN's and is one I can say definetily helped me fall in love with the genre, I was always sad that I could never get a legal copy since both the American Publisher and Japanese Developer went out of business years ago.  I've always hoped for a port of the 360 Remake, that remake is a case of "You either like the new changes, or you feel it ruins the original work" but I've still always wanted to play it myself and see how I feel.

Umineko no Naku koro Ni will always hold a special place in my heart, it has an even worse slow start then Higurashi does, but maan does it really kick off when it gets going.  That said some of the later Episodes (6 in particular) suffer and the ending to the over all story is satisfactory, but does have some problems.

There's so many more I could go into, but this post has gone on long enough for now.

First VN was Ever 17 (still holds up imo). It was interesting but I have no intention of ever replaying it.

Katawa Shoujo was my first english visual novel that I liked. It has it's problems but I still like it and don't mind replaying it again.

Steins Gate, Higurashi and Umineko are ones that I think of being at the top of VNs (well other than Fate, and Muv Luv).

Really want to play Yu-No and Utawarerumono... really want to.

Fate/Stay night, Tsukihime, Mahoyo (not translated yet except for the first 5 chapters) Saya no Uta, G-Senjou, Sharin no Kuni (with its fan disc), Grisaia trilogy, Forest, Ever 17, 999, Zero escape, Rance, Steins;Gate and most KEY are the very obvious ones.

Fate/ Hollow Ataraxia is also a very good fan disc if you enjoyed Fate/Stay Night.

Edited by kraidy

For anyone who likes some bit more old-schoolish VNs, Exodus Guilty is a very nice piece.

And generally, everything Nitro+.

Edited by Uskon

I'm the only one so far to mention Galaxy Angel and Symphonic Rain? D:

Most of the ones I thought of when I saw this topic have been mentioned already though, Eushully ones are amazing for gameplay but I don't like the....harem-ness of them >>'

Ever17 and G-Senjou were great for story, Majikoi and Little Busters for lulz (mostly) and stuff like Steins and F/SN were just great all round.

Ofc they all have delicious music too <3

1 hour ago, LuckyTouhouStar said:

In the middle of SR (It... Takes too many breaks, given it's not being easy on the delicate psyche) and I've read the first GA trilogy on the... I forget her name. Green-haired loli. Vanille? Vanilla? Her route.

To be honest, I've played almost every VN mentioned here and more, I just figured it'd be more fun for me to let other people come in and say what they think is notable rather than just put my list of what I have played.

6 hours ago, Uskon said:

For anyone who likes some bit more old-schoolish VNs, Exodus Guilty is a very nice piece.

And generally, everything Nitro+.

On the Nitro+ Front, I've played... Saya and Hanachirasu. Demonbane's art-style kinda puts me off a little, and I've actually not heard of Exodus Guilty.

Edit: Regarding Hanachirasu, for those that don't know of it, it's similar to Muv Luv in that history diverges at WWII, but instead of BETA, we get Japan conquered by a lengthy campaign and no nuking. The result leads to Japan being heavily restricted and split between the States and... Russia, I think. Anyways, swords become commonplace again as part of alternate history changes, and the swordplay is really quite good despite info-dumping.

Did I mention that in typical (To me) Nitroplus fashion, the protagonist is no hero?

Edited by Shinygami
To elaborate on Hanachi.

1 hour ago, LuckyTouhouStar said:

Symphonic Rain was great. Some people peg the Torta True End as their favorite, but my favorite is the last one you can unlock. It's just so happy.

On 11/1/2015, 9:56:26, Kanshisha13 said:

Duel Savior (Story started meh, Gameplay was fun. Story got better. Must Happy End. 100% Wewt!)

I fucking loved that game. I had just come off Aselia, so I felt like it was just gonna rip it off and be shit, but after getting into it, it turned out to be a nice surprise. Even the epitome of tsuntsun bitches became likable once she was forced into being honest. The only one I still hated at the end was the little sister, Mia the Retarded.

That Rubinas though. Holy shit, her end was too sweet. I thought I was gonna die of happiness.

On 11/2/2015, 10:39:02, Shinygami said:

Actually, alot of Overdrive VNs have good music. Try 'em out sometime, guys.

Definitely. I still listen to the Kira*Kira album.

On 11/2/2015 5:26:44, Ciel said:

And for now, I'm playing Little Busters!. For now it's great, and that announcement last week was very exciting, looking forwad for Sasami, Futaki and Saya routes.

I totally missed that.

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW LONG I WAITED FOR THIS?! ERMAHGODLGDSCVBJKKKNBVCXCVBNJKKLGF----------

1 person likes this

33 minutes ago, Mormaethor said:

I totally missed that.

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW LONG I WAITED FOR THIS?! ERMAHGODLGDSCVBJKKKNBVCXCVBNJKKLGF----------

Yup, it's exciting. A tiny bit of a shame Fruitbat Factory probably isn't going to release Ecstasy (due to being an all ages company), but I can live without Sha la la Ecstacy.

Just now, encrypted12345 said:

Yup, it's exciting. A tiny bit of a shame Fruitbat Factory probably isn't going to release Ecstasy (due to being an all ages company), but I can live without Sha la la Ecstacy.

Inb4 restoration fan patch.

Edited by Mormaethor

1 hour ago, Mormaethor said:

I totally missed that.

Wait, how do you missed that?

Just now, Ciel said:

Wait, how do you missed that?

Not having much of a network and lotsa do these days.

@Myrv Saw your post regarding having a Da Capo physical copy, and I've been curious about that series for a good long while. Would you be so kind as to enlighten me as to your thoughts on it? I've been wondering for a while now if I should read it.

@Shinygami

I actually don't remember too much... I played through three of the side characters routes and was done with it. The routes that I went through were short and shallow; nothing remarkable. Of course, I didn't play through the routes of the two main heroines... so maybe I missed out, but they just weren't that interesting to me. 

It was kind of interesting from a game perspective though, as it was the first time I'd run across something involving a flag-like system. Basically there were different locations you could visit during a span of time and an event with a girl would occur. The problem was that you could run into them anywhere and had to play through a few times or save-scum and write down where the girls were at specific times in order to get on their route.

I've been thinking about playing it again to get the cat-eared maid route that I didn't know about the first time I played it, but I haven't cared enough to actually do it.

Maybe I'll play through a route tonight and give you a better answer later.

Edited by Myrv

I'm broke at the moment, so...

*Inhale*

KOUKIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!

Aherm...

Anyways, yeah, I've got no money for frivolities at the moment.

Edit: Do have a friend who got a press code, though...

Edited by Shinygami
An afterthought.