Anix

Gift Bag: Separate or Together?

Gift Bag: Separate or Together?   27 members have voted

1. 1. Are you waiting?

• Candy before dinner!
    • A big huge box makes it all the more exciting!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 posts in this topic

Just filled out the backerkit survey, and I was pleased to see that they had the option to ship the Gift Bags when they're ready or at the same time as everything else. I'm going to get it at the same time since it saves them the shipping and sanity point cost and I'd rather forget about it for a year and be pleasantly surprised when it all shows up on my doorstep than have it strung out throughout the year. Also, my family gives me a hard enough time for wasting my money on a $7 used PS3 game off ebay. Can't wait to try and dodge this bullet...

What's everyone else doing?

1 person likes this

Same here. And besides, if I get the Gift Bag early, I'll be restless for a while lol

8 minutes ago, Anix said:

Just filled out the backerkit survey, and I was pleased to see that they had the option to ship the Gift Bags when they're ready or at the same time as everything else. I'm going to get it at the same time since it saves them the shipping and sanity point cost and I'd rather forget about it for a year and be pleasantly surprised when it all shows up on my doorstep than have it strung out throughout the year. Also, my family gives me a hard enough time for wasting my money on a $7 used PS3 game off ebay. Can't wait to try and dodge this bullet...

What's everyone else doing?

Your family? Are you using your parents' money?

Just now, PulakK said:

Your family? Are you using your parents' money?

No, they just think games/manga/etc are dumb so when I get stuff online they roll their eyes at me. I spent more on this than I think I've ever spent on anything else, though, so I really don't want to deal with it...

9 minutes ago, Anix said:

No, they just think games/manga/etc are dumb so when I get stuff online they roll their eyes at me. I spent more on this than I think I've ever spent on anything else, though, so I really don't want to deal with it...

Ah, I see. Still being financially dependent was the main reason I didn't back the KS; I knew there'd be no way in hell my parents would let me back the tier I wanted. Even now, though Clannad's being sold at a crazy low price in India I'm reluctant to ask my parents about it, because they might just condemn it as me wasting my time when I should be doing more important stuff.

Wow.. Everyone has hobbies and stuff they like though ! :(

8 minutes ago, Klashvorn said:

Well, my family was supportive enough when I was still doing my M.Sc. Once that ended and I didn't have any PhD or JRF positions in hand, their attitude towards my hobbies, especially video games, soured a bit.

People spend a lot of money on things without realizing it sometimes. Its just more obvious when its for something that stands out like this. People usually react badly like that when you're spending money on things when they don't understand why you enjoy them. The most important thing is if you enjoy how you've spent your money and if you can actually afford to spend that money.

I want the gift bag first. Mostly because I want those badges...

1 person likes this

51 minutes ago, Klashvorn said:

My parents let me like what I like, they just don't think I should spend a lot on it. So I always get a "didn't you just get a whatever?" No, that was 2 months ago... I spend way less than most people, but when I do, it's usually expensive things (though not this expensive) so it sticks out and seems like I'm throwing money everywhere. And I'm a sucker for collectors editions and stuff like that for games. I'm tempted to get the $80 Fire Emblem Fates thing even though I've barely played Awakening. Even I think that's a stupid decision.

@Anix

Yeah, sometimes you're not being reasonable but even so, I wouldn't necessarily dismiss everything as a waste if you're going to make the most out of whatever you purchase. Not like you're doing this on a daily basis, right ? :)

Yeah I opted to get the Gift Bag first because I'm thinking about decorating my cosplay with the badges but I can totally relate about the frequent packages complaints.

I try to get cheap deals whenever I can along side getting new games but when people I know see things being delivered to my house a lot they think I'm still paying for the full price and assume that I'm wasting money.

Me getting the Gift Bag first probably isn't going to help this much but another problem I have to explain a lot is how Kickstarter packages are already paid for. Just recently I had to explain that I wasn't just charged $80 for a package but that I paid the $80 for it a year ago and I'm only getting the product now.

@Anix

I'm also a sucker for Collector's Editions of Games and I used to get as many as I could as possible.

Clearly this isn't the best decision so I decided to just go after the one's that I know will be rare and cost more in the future. For game's I'm unsure about I just rent the game for a bit and decide whether or not all the things in the Collector's Version is justifiable and if it is check to see if it's available or just one of those Collector's Editions that just go down in price.

I totally understand your hesitation on getting Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition (coincidentally it took me a really long time to fully complete Awakening, way longer than it should have.) but I opted to at least put a pre-order down for it since I think this might be a case where the game will go up in price due to the fact this is the only way to get the Third Route physically as opposed to Digitally.

I'm kinda one of those people who worry about what will happen to older digital content in the future xD

6 hours ago, JakatoX said:

I totally understand your hesitation on getting Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition (coincidentally it took me a really long time to fully complete Awakening, way longer than it should have.) but I opted to at least put a pre-order down for it since I think this might be a case where the game will go up in price due to the fact this is the only way to get the Third Route physically as opposed to Digitally.

I'm kinda one of those people who worry about what will happen to older digital content in the future xD

Having all three is the main reason I'm interested in it. I also can't stand digital-only (except for Steam; I've long since accepted the PC gamer's fate). Nintendo especially needs to fix their digital system because as it is I don't even trust it to remain accessible current generation if something happens to my hardware. What's sad is that it used to be worse.

I opted for separate shipping. Namely because I like the idea of the possibility of maybe getting the gift bag as a little birthday present to myself. I know it's equally, if not moreso possible it'll be after my birthday, but I'll hold out hope that early January might be lucky for me.

12 hours ago, Anix said:

we heard it all the time from our Parents. they just refuse to acknowledge that games can be play for everyone, including adults.

12 hours ago, Tanon said:

People spend a lot of money on things without realizing it sometimes. Its just more obvious when its for something that stands out like this. People usually react badly like that when you're spending money on things when they don't understand why you enjoy them. The most important thing is if you enjoy how you've spent your money and if you can actually afford to spend that money.

I want the gift bag first. Mostly because I want those badges...

that's why I think before spending because I'm living with my parents who thinks that my anime hobby is stupid and should be watched by kids. ¬¬

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Otoshigami said:

we heard it all the time from our Parents. they just refuse to acknowledge that games can be play for everyone, including adults.

The worst is when I actually was a kid and financially dependent on them, I wanted to get the things that were popular with everyone else at the time (GTA, Goldeneye, etc), but they'd only let me get "kid stuff" and not violent games. Now that I'm a bit more mature and self-aware about it, I'm actually less into mindless killing simulators and I can appreciate things like Costume Quest that have that kid's game kind of feel at first glance but are actually really witty and some of the dialogue would go over kids' heads. But I'm an adult, so I shouldn't be playing those types of games anymore. ¬¬

Okay, sob-story update: I finally worked up the courage to ask my parents for Clannad and its OST, and they agreed on the condition that I not play the VN until after I've given my December JRF exam. Of course, they didn't hesitate to remind me of my precarious situation, or how far behind I am and how I really should secure the fellowship on my next attempt already, but given my current position this doesn't surprise me. If anyone here wants to go the M.S-PhD route, be prepared for a depressingly long haul.

Also, my digital/physical preferences mainly come down to pricing, aka, whatever's the cheapest option. For music, I almost always buy it from iTunes whenever I want to pay for it, and for games it's either buying PlayStation 3 BluRays or getting a digital download from the PlayStation Store or Steam, or in very rare cases since my PC isn't compatible with most seventh and eighth-gen titles, buying a PC DVD. 

Because I'm living in a remote hill station, buying physical goods has become an impractical option for me, so I mostly go digital whenever I ask my parents for something (I bought the Kindle edition of Felicia Day's memoir a few months ago, but mom and I also made a trip to the local Crosswords at around the same time, so I have a few physical books as well).

On 11/26/2015, 1:42:40, PulakK said:

Also, my digital/physical preferences mainly come down to pricing, aka, whatever's the cheapest option.

This is why I don't really have a problem with Steam, because they have 90% sales all the time. Meanwhile, consoles are still pricing the same as physical releases years later (sometimes higher) with the excuse of bandwidth. Nintendo is especially bad since Xbox and Playstation both have forms of subscription services, and their prices go down faster. If I have to pay the same price, you can bet I'm getting something I can hold, though. I can understand if you don't have access to stores, though. It's kind of the reverse problem that we have in the US where rural areas have no internet because there's not enough of a population to make it profitable and ISPs have a monopoly...

1 minute ago, Anix said:

This is why I don't really have a problem with Steam, because they have 90% sales all the time. Meanwhile, consoles are still pricing the same as physical releases years later (sometimes higher) with the excuse of bandwidth. Nintendo is especially bad since Xbox and Playstation both have forms of subscription services, and their prices go down faster. If I have to pay the same price, you can bet I'm getting something I can hold, though. I can understand if you don't have access to stores, though. It's kind of the reverse problem that we have in the US where rural areas have no internet because there's not enough of a population to make it profitable and ISPs have a monopoly...

Yeah, I see your point about the console digital releases and all. Till, now practically all my PlayStation Store purchases have happened around the time of lucrative limited time discounts, such as buying the entire Mass Effect trilogy for a little less than $20 in 2014 (pretty neat way to finally get my hands on a series I've been pining for since 2008). I've also bought Catherine for around $5, and Tomb Raider for around $9 thanks to similar schemes.

Conversely, while I was considering purchasing BioShock Infinite, I picked a physical release, because not only was the retailer offering it at a MUCH lower price than the PSN one, my copy also ended up including the original BioShock game, which would've cost me even more had I gone digital. 

I honestly don't see much justification in publishers charging more for digital copies, given how each copy has almost negligible production costs, unlike physical releases, wherein each DVD and BluRay would take some substantial money to produce and package. Heck, the ease at which digital copies of stuff can be made is the primary reason behind all the rampant piracy going on these days; pirated copies are often just as good, if not better (thanks to removed DRM) in quality than official copies of games and stuff. If pirates can give out tons of stuff for free despite bandwidth costs, I don't see how publishers can use it as an excuse to keep their prices high. And I also see than Nintendo has maintained region-locking for their digital sales, and I personally find the very practice of region-locking completely backward and inexcusable in this day and age. Heck, if it wasn't for region-locking, I'd happily be watching most of my anime on a legit streaming service like Crunchyroll or the Funimation channel, but these stupid licensing agreements seriously limit my options.

And as for the Internet thing, my dad working for the Government has a lot to do with my excellent luck at getting strong wi-fi connectivity here. Otherwise, I'd have to get a mobile wi-fi dongle and budget my browsing by the month or something. ^_^

Separate.
Sending things separate reduce weight and value of each package, reducing taxes and customs fees.

1 person likes this