Klashvorn

Tabletop & board games

10 posts in this topic

So I've been wondering.. For those of you who are into board games, what do you usually play ? Any type is fine ! Tabletop RPG, deck building, cooperative, you name it !

Of course, a mecha theme is highly regarded in this case but it doesn't have to be mandatory, any suggestion is fine ! Feel free to share your experiences, thoughts and feedback on board games you've played. I'm hoping we can eventually have a neat list of enjoyable games to play around a table.

Over to you guys ! ^_^

There's a lot of tabletop RPGs I've been interested in but the only one I've actually been able to play is D&D. Might start another campaign soon...

It feels like lately tabletop RPGs and board games aimed at adults have had a resurgence lately. It's good to see.

1 person likes this

@Anix

DnD for the win. What edition are you rolling with? Personally still haven't been able to let go of 3.5 :D

I've been playing lots of Fluxx lately. I have the latest base version (5.0), Star Fluxx and Zombie Fluxx. There are a bunch of other flavors to the game too.

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a Muv-Luv variant ? Haha yeah, I wish.. ^^'

So, the basic rule is simple : draw one, play one. The cool thing about this game is that the rules keep changing as you play rule cards and objective cards ! It's quick to play as well ! Funny thing is, a session can last as little as 5 minutes but can also take quite a while. No session is exactly the same. Playing this during lunchtime with coworkers on weekdays, I managed to get some more people interested with the help of a fellow fan :D

Overall, it's a nice and fun game to bring just about anywhere ^_^

You can see Star Fluxx in action on Geek & Sundry's Tabletop here : Star Fluxx on Tabletop

Edited by Klashvorn
Added Tabletop link to Star Fluxx video

Hi, Klashvorn. If you're looking for Mecha Tabletop RPGs, I've got several suggestions:

Battletech/Mechwarrior (obviously). Remember, you can still get ALL the PDF sourcebooks at a huge discount from the recent Kickstarter.

Mekton Z. Oldie but goldie! Talsorian made some really cool RPGs...

Jovian Chronicles by Dream Pod 9. From the authors of Heavy Gear (also a Mecha RPG), Jovian Chronicles is one of the best examples of hard sci-fi mecha anime RPG.

BRP Mecha, by Alepthar Games (alas, out of print). If you have played Call of Cthulhu, RuneQuest, Stormbringer, etc., you NEED this one. The best part is you can convert directly the "real world" official stats from every mecha series to game values. For example, Mazinger Z has a 60.000 HP power output (about 45 GW), so (in BRP terms), it would have POW 45. Easy peasy!

OVA 2nd edition, by Wise Turtle. Not really a mecha game but a multi-genre anime game, it does have rules for mecha, romance, aliens... And it's rules-lite, beginner-friendly... One of my favourites RPG. Give it a try!

Hope it helps.

1 person likes this

Some pretty neat suggestions @THN, there are a couple I didn't know about ! Thanks for sharing ;)

Changing genre for a bit, I'll talk briefly about Dead of Winter.

Contrary to zombie games in which you just have to fight them, Dead of Winter is more of an atmospheric game in which you are part of a colony. While there is a global objective, each player has their own secret agenda and there could even be a traitor among the group ! Each round, there is a crisis to take care of but your contribution is anonymous so you have to observe carefully if you think someone else is a traitor. This makes it a very interactive and social experience at times. Be ready for sessions of at least an hour so not necessarily something you can play quickly before going out for instance.

I suggest playing this with at least one person familiar with it or board games in general because while the rules are simple to understand, there are a bunch of mechanics to cover, even with the character sheets summarizing most of them.

This reminds me, this game was featured in Geek & Sundry's Tabletop, here is the video : Dead of Winter on Tabletop

Edited by Klashvorn
Added Tabletop link to Dead of Winter video

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Klashvorn said:

Some pretty neat suggestions @THN, there are a couple I didn't know about ! Thanks for sharing ;)

You're welcome!

One neat thing I forgot about BRP Mecha: It's fully compatible with other BRP/Chaosium/d100/RQ/Whatever products, so you can use EVERY Call of Cthulhu monster as Kaiju, no conversion necessary. Nyarlathoptep vs. Raptor: Who would win? FIGHT!

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, Uskon said:

@Anix

DnD for the win. What edition are you rolling with? Personally still haven't been able to let go of 3.5 :D

3.5 is best version. Just bought some of the reprints from my FLGS. WotC knows what's up even as 5e's coming out.

13 hours ago, Klashvorn said:

I've been playing lots of Fluxx lately.

I forgot about card games. Fluxx is great. I've played the Cthulu version. For some reason I associate it with Munchkin. I guess we're all posting TableTop videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6oMBSiL7Zs

Cards against humanity is always fun, too.

10 hours ago, THN said:

Battletech/Mechwarrior (obviously). Remember, you can still get ALL the PDF sourcebooks at a huge discount from the recent Kickstarter.

I almost went in on that, but I spent waaay more in this KS than I had planned. I used to have some Battletech cards, but they were stolen by a FILTHY THIEF before I got the chance to play... :/ 

Do anybody remember Heroscape? I think that game was very underrated in how fun it could be. It made my buddies get into tabletop figurines.

Edited by Omega