Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dx3illusion

My opionion why Takeru has no harem ending

Who is more Suave   7 members have voted

1. 1. Shirou or Takeru

• Shirou
    • Takeru

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 posts in this topic

As the topic title implies, I've been thinking about this mind-boggling fact lately. From what I read from the trilogy, I deducted he isn't suave enough to handle more than one girl at a time. I also noticed there were quite a few people in the Muv-Luv fan base that were sad about there not being a harem ending.

It could be said there was not even any strong escalation of drama between the heroines, in the trilogy, besides the cook off in Extra. Extra could've been better if there were to be more plot twists and drama. I believe these were likely reasons why the first part of the trilogy looks stale in comparison to the other parts, especially Alternative.

Lately I have been reading Xianxia novels at Wuxiaworld and am mostly following popular Xianxia ("immortal hero") novels such as; Against the gods; Tales of demons gods and Martial god asura. In my opinion, the standout of those three titles would be Against the Gods for its MC, if anyone hasn't read it I strongly recommend that you should. Tell me what you guys think, you'd definitely not regret it!

After comparing the MC's of the Xianxia novels I mentioned and Takeru; It could be seen in the Muv-luv triology and spin offs, Takeru was pretty innocent, lacked knowledge and was not ambitious enough to become a player. However, could there still be a chance when Takeru will blow away his critics and show his full potential!?

I had also found a nice FS/N meme.  http://images4.fanpop.com/image/forum/25000/25060_1294979393008_full.jpg

Edited by Dx3illusion
grammar

I think the reason he never had one is that "you have to choose and hurt people doing so" is an âge thing in all their works that I am aware of.

5 people like this

1 hour ago, frogtaku said:

"you have to choose and hurt people doing so"

Maybe Kouki must've had many difficult life experiences that he wanted to share I guess xD Too bad there is no option of an ending when everyone is truly happy. Not to mention, netorare didn't happen either, my guess is because Takeru was the only guy teenage guy that existed in the Muv-Luv universe.

In comparison, the protagonists from Chinese Xianxia novels is all about martial cultivation (training) and the antagonists getting all jelly of the MC's harem and getting rekt by underestimating the abilities of the MC.

9 minutes ago, Dx3illusion said:

Maybe Kouki must've had many difficult life experiences that he wanted to share I guess xD

Pretty likely yeah, or at least he is angry at his past self :)

There's an interesting article about that: https://type94.wordpress.com/2013/09/19/grow-up/

A common complaint against many of Age’s works is that they are too preachy, that players have to sit through hours upon hours of other characters explaining what is wrong with them.  Kouki Yoshimune offers a very simple explanation for this: all of his lead characters are actually based on himself, when he was younger.  When he writes a wall of dialogue criticizing the main character, he is not lecturing “the player”, he is lecturing his younger self. 

10 hours ago, Dx3illusion said:

As the topic title implies, I've been thinking about this mind-boggling fact lately. From what I read from the trilogy, I deducted he isn't suave enough to handle more than one girl at a time. I also noticed there were quite a few people in the Muv-Luv fan base that were sad about there not being a harem ending.

It could be said there was not even any strong escalation of drama between the heroines, in the trilogy, besides the cook off in Extra. Extra could've been better if there were to be more plot twists and drama. I believe these were likely reasons why the first part of the trilogy looks stale in comparison to the other parts, especially Alternative.

Lately I have been reading Xianxia novels at Wuxiaworld and am mostly following popular Xianxia ("immortal hero") novels such as; Against the gods; Tales of demons gods and Martial god asura. In my opinion, the standout of those three titles would be Against the Gods for its MC, if anyone hasn't read it I strongly recommend that you should. Tell me what you guys think, you'd definitely not regret it!

After comparing the MC's of the Xianxia novels I mentioned and Takeru; It could be seen in the Muv-luv triology and spin offs, Takeru was pretty innocent, lacked knowledge and was not ambitious enough to become a player. However, could there still be a chance when Takeru will blow away his critics and show his full potential!?

I had also found a nice FS/N meme.  http://images4.fanpop.com/image/forum/25000/25060_1294979393008_full.jpg

Well, Extra did have a dramatic lacrosse arc, which doesn't seem to have too many fans. I think it's divisive mainly because a lot of people seem to be rather sick of the cheesy, happy-go-lucky romances that saturate anime, which Extra was, to quite a degree. However, I think that having good characters can liven up even the most corny and cliched of stories, which is the main reason why I've enjoyed whatever I've seen of Extra.

And as for Takeru not getting a harem ending, you probably have a point about Takeru originally being too immature and naive to be able to manage multiple relationships, but as far as I can tell, it really doesn't matter. The girls in Extra are pretty good at taking rejection, and a lot of people would consider the ability to decisively commit to one girl as a sign of strength. I can see the point of a harem ending in a VN like School Days if you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but in Muv-Luv, it simply doesn't matter to me.

2 people like this

10 hours ago, frogtaku said:

I think the reason he never had one is that "you have to choose and hurt people doing so" is an âge thing in all their works that I am aware of.

I think it's less an "age thing" and more to do with realism. Almost everything achieved in Muv Luv is done through sacrifices, luck, hardwork and/or the help of others after all.

Edit: Our concept of realism and reality comes to us as we age. ....Coincidence?

Edited by David

1 person likes this

I like to think that Muv Luv is a scifi VN story which happens to have the sexual content a little upward because it needed the space on the japanese stores shelfs to attract attention, notwithstanding some of the most story-driven sexual situations where it fits in so well that cutting it its a crime.

@frogtaku

really? guess that explains why there's no HAREM ending. still it would've been a good thing in the end with meaningful impact in some shape or form.

Edited by Otoshigami

20 hours ago, frogtaku said:

Pretty likely yeah, or at least he is angry at his past self :)

There's an interesting article about that: https://type94.wordpress.com/2013/09/19/grow-up/

That explains why I want to throw the chair I'm sitting on at the protagonist in Rumbling Hearts. Up to episode 9, and I can say I'd be dead if I did a drinking game about that. Not because I can't understand him, but because I know he's an illogical idiot yet can't shake the feeling I'd do something similar. I think I wouldn't be as bad, but you never know.

Same goes for Takeru albeit to a lesser extent. In Takeru's case, I absolutely know I'd turn out worse than him, so I can be a bit more sympathetic while still raging at myself.

38 minutes ago, encrypted12345 said:

Up to episode 9, and I can say I'd be dead if I did a drinking game about that. Not because I can't understand him, but because I know he's an illogical idiot yet can't shake the feeling I'd do something similar. I think I wouldn't be as bad, but you never know.

I am sure I would have done worse before this series enlightened me on my own shortcomings :D. Same goes for Takeru. I like how credible and relatable their faults are, because when they grow up this is satisfying as hell.

Yeah, Takeru's definitely relatable. He was a little too much on the dumb side for me, but well, that's got more to do with "typical teenager" than anything else

What I like more is that is through that "growing up" phase that he starts actually gaining some character.  During unlimited he was basically like in Extra but felt more like the comedic relief of the team. During Alternative he tried to force himself and masquerade himself as a "super-soldier", but it soon cracked. After it, he literally goes back to Extra, but after returning he manages to grow. His character has not changed that much, but he has definitely grown and now you can actually define him without needing the "average normal bland high-school boy".

well I guess that the way he wrote those stories can reflect towards Japanese OTAKU or some teenage brat in real life who doesn't want to grow up and want to go back to school like old times. You'll be surprised how many Japanese people in their 20-40s who said things like that.

To answer the question asked, neither of those characters are suave imo. While Takeru does grow up and make choices that hurt others, Shiro stays as "You lost me." from what I remember from fsn.

The only time Takeru was truly suave was in Unlimited when he

Spoiler

seduced Yuuko after she sobered up.