Aetherdeus

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha General Discussion

30 posts in this topic

So, I've seen a few profile & sig images around here that suggests more than a few of you around here are fans of the under-appreciated magitek mecha-y series that is Nanoha. Want to show off that you nabbed a copy of Geneon's rare release? Have feelings about Force or ViVid that you need to get off your chest (politely)? Here's the place to do it!

1 person likes this

Gasp, are you suggesting that scrounging for those sweet, sweet Prisma Illya dollars was a worse idea than, say, making a StrikerS movie? :D
Yeah, I've been a bit sad by what little I've managed to find, but man, they don't make it easy. I didn't mind the manga, I thought it was a good counter balance to the srs bnzs that is Force, but its kind of underwhelming on its own :(

While I happen to enjoy the Nanoha verse as a whole, I felt it really peaked at A's. The figures for the serious are usually high quality though and the 2 PSP games were fun enough. Currently waiting for more Force scale figures, more figmas or more Nendoroid petites. I'll take any or all of the 3 honestly. This has some pictures of my Nanoha stuff. http://myfigurecollection.net/blog/22701

1 person likes this

Nanoha fans !! \o/

Have to say, Nanoha is less of a magical girl and more of a walking/flying magic-supplied heavily-armed large caliber tank.Especially since Mahou Senki(Magical Record Lyrical Nanoha Force if I remember the english name?).

Anyway, happy to meet you all, I don't know much people who like Nanoha. And even less who like me, like StrikerS. Dunno why. Some say cuz not loli anymore, some others because too military and not magical girl enough... But in my case, while it was a lot confusing due to the extreme amount of characters and their inequal development. I liked the more military atmosphere, it was a nice change. And interesting to see what careers our little girls chose.

My favs are Vita, Fate, Nanoha and Vivio (aaaaand that's a lot influenced by their VA, as I'm a fan of Nana Mizuki, Yukari Tamura, and Kaori Mizuhashi, way before she got known as Mami Tomoe. Known her with Disgaea's Laharl and Ayanokouji of Edge records' Yandere CD2)(for Vita, it was her design and colors). And I've got their old StrikerS figma, save for Vita(A's one) and Vivio. Fate's barrier jacket was one hell of a hard one to find at that time...

I have to say too... My car's name is Vitani. Two reasons: Vitani from the Lion King, and the main reason is indeed, Nanoha-related. It's an Opel Corsa, also called Opel Vita in Japan. the ni being 2 in japanese, so there's a Vita figure inside for the Vitaception. I'm telling this because none of my friends get it when they hear the name and see the figure, not being nanoha fans :(

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, FinalCataclsym said:

While I happen to enjoy the Nanoha verse as a whole, I felt it really peaked at A's. The figures for the serious are usually high quality though and the 2 PSP games were fun enough. Currently waiting for more Force scale figures, more figmas or more Nendoroid petites. I'll take any or all of the 3 honestly. This has some pictures of my Nanoha stuff. http://myfigurecollection.net/blog/22701

Woah, thats a helluva collection! I need that Fortress equipment Nanoha figure, it looks even better than the listing pictures 0.o

I just have some Figmas, I need to expand my collection badly - so far I've been working through building the devices. I have Bardiche Assault (TV version), Durandal (Movie 2nd version) and most of Raising Heart Excelion (Movie 2nd version); next I think I'd like to do Raising Heart Blaster Mode, Graf Eisen, & Laevatein

Ha! Thats probably the next best car to an appropriate Ferrari, @Shadow Heartbreaker ;)

I'm not sure why its so hard to get people in to Nanoha, especially with as popular as stuff like Pretty Cure & Symphogear are. Well, I'm glad to have finally gotten to meet some other fans!

IMG_4312.JPG

Strikers was the best because you could see that walking tank part come out more. She didn't power up, she just stopped powering down.

Also, I can't help but be suckered in by the yuri.:x

fate-nanoha-vivio.jpg

I'm going to preemptively say that the worst one is INNOCENT. You can't really go lower stakes than card duelling.

@Aetherdeus hehe, well I can't really get a Ferrari Testarossa soooo... And the Opel Signum isn't sold anymore. (and I'm a fan of Opel cars, because I grew up inside one)

It ain't considered a goodie but I'll attach some pics if anyone's curious, and yeah, it isn't red, only had black as second-hand (I don't remember what was the Vita figure, I had a Nendoroid Petit and another small SD one). Originally, it had two Noroi Usagi(Vita's rabbits) atached to the seats' back but my family broke them while charging stuff for me to take to my uncle.

Well, my friends tend to dislike Magical girls, and truth be told I'm not really keen on that either. Nanoha is special. (and the Load Catridge system kinda sold me on this too, I loved the tech side of nanoha, and I like military designs, so if they start to give firearm system to magical girls stuffs... And I thought that was really original and daring)(at that time; nowadays, cute girls and military stuff become more and more popular, since Muv-luv, to now Girls und Panzer, Upotte, Kantai Collection...).

Also, wow, you made some great stuff! (can't wait to see Graf Eisen and Laevantein) I only have them as cheap reproductions (you know, the banpresto pens. I've got Raising Heart, Laevantein, Bardiche and Graf Eisen)(Graf eisen currently in the car as a back-up pen) 

22 minutes ago, Anix said:

Strikers was the best because you could see that walking tank part come out more. She didn't power up, she just stopped powering down.

Also, I can't help but be suckered in by the yuri.:x

fate-nanoha-vivio.jpg

I'm going to preemptively say that the worst one is INNOCENT. You can't really go lower stakes than card duelling.

Haha, true, true. It was nic to see her slight changes of characters too(with Teana)(dem eyebags on the TV version). I'm really looking forward to a Senki Force Adaptation. I really want to see the Fortress animated.

10981833_10206311207368306_8294951603744148848_n.jpg

11137162_10206311206168276_6167327023360587878_n.jpg

11162080_10206311206248278_5838380635966026778_n.jpg

1 person likes this

Thanks! And your Opel is awesome - I wonder if there's any way to get a JDM Vita badge...

I do like magical girl shows in general, but I do have a preference for the more shonen ones like Nanoha. Not quite sure why I have more tolerance for them than straight shonen (maybe fewer/shorter filler arcs? >;) ), but especially with Nanoha, its hard to beat heavy weapons and military uniforms. Speaking of, I saw all that Girls Und Panzer stuff on your shelf, hahaha, I love that series! I guess we shouldn't be surprised at the number of moe military fans in a Muv-Luv forum, eh? :D

I think I'll still call A's as my favorite - INNOCENT definitely holds up the back of the line, ugh card games. I'd say A's > StrikerS > Season 1 (TOS? :D) > Force > ViVid > INNOCENT, assuming we're not separating out movies or counting Gears of Destiny. I admittedly haven't gotten very far in Force, though, but I love the mechanical designs to death. Its a tough call, I really like StrikerS but I think A's is a bit better balanced.

And really, what's Nanoha without gobs of yuri? (sorry Yuuno, it was worth a shot) xD

I dropped the series after 4 or so episodes. It's one of the most boring things I've ever seen.

Well, there's always somebody... I kid, I kid. To be fair, the start of S1 is really slow, it takes forever to get in to the series proper. If you find yourself bored with whatever season's current crop of derivative light novel adaptations, try the first movie. Its waaaaaaaay better paced and gorgeous to boot.

Once you get past the "I need to collect the MacGuffin of the week" phase it really picks up. Watching the movie instead works well because it skips a lot of that and replaces it with awesome new fight scenes.

well there a youtuber named Digibro who explains a lot of depth on Nanoha series so you guys should check it out. :)

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Otoshigami said:

well there a youtuber named Digibro who explains a lot of depth on Nanoha series so you guys should check it out. :)

Well, I, uh... yeah, that kinda covers everything 0.o

Er, so.... favorite/least-favorite characters? :D

22 hours ago, Aetherdeus said:

Thanks! And your Opel is awesome - I wonder if there's any way to get a JDM Vita badge...

I do like magical girl shows in general, but I do have a preference for the more shonen ones like Nanoha. Not quite sure why I have more tolerance for them than straight shonen (maybe fewer/shorter filler arcs? >;) ), but especially with Nanoha, its hard to beat heavy weapons and military uniforms. Speaking of, I saw all that Girls Und Panzer stuff on your shelf, hahaha, I love that series! I guess we shouldn't be surprised at the number of moe military fans in a Muv-Luv forum, eh? :D

I think I'll still call A's as my favorite - INNOCENT definitely holds up the back of the line, ugh card games. I'd say A's > StrikerS > Season 1 (TOS? :D) > Force > ViVid > INNOCENT, assuming we're not separating out movies or counting Gears of Destiny. I admittedly haven't gotten very far in Force, though, but I love the mechanical designs to death. Its a tough call, I really like StrikerS but I think A's is a bit better balanced.

And really, what's Nanoha without gobs of yuri? (sorry Yuuno, it was worth a shot) xD

Thanks! The lil' girl took some damage already, having scratches and stuff(I'm still not used to drive, especially at night, or in inequal roads. And had to say, there's a lot of crazy drivers here. Some guy went in a one-sided road and just ket on coming at me, I had to dodge him but damaged my car in the process.) If you ever find a Vita badge, tell me, I'd jump on it.

It's FinalCataclysm's shelf, but ho, a GuP fan? Yay! I love that show, I'm currently rewatching it(needed some funny stuff after finishing that depressing Shiki show). It's rather light-hearted and relaxing, yet keep you interested with its tank fights and strategies, and is rather funny too. Upotte was good for the same reason (although I didn't like Sako, and I wasn't as interested in the characters as GuP. And some funny illogism, like telling us the M14 has great recoil in full-auto, then showing M14 firing her rifle without any recoil, the gun doesn't move even an inch. Sig is good though. ) 

I have to agree, the first season was hard to see at first. i don't even remember why I started it in the first place. Maybe the cast, as I was into Higurashi right before. But well, the first season gets interesting after Fate gets more screentime :D (I mean it. Because her backstory and her mother Precia gives this extra push you need to keep on watching) Starting from there, it starts to changes from the usual happy-go-lucky magical girl show to its own atmosphere, mixing both magical optimism with dark side(Precia, ...) and FIREPOWER.

And the show really keeps you in with A's, the Belka/Velka(which was the official name?) magic and the introductions of the knights makes it captivating, and the opening is one to remember. I agreee with you guys, Nanoha was at its peak in A's. True, it's sure a bit classic, but damn those feels sometimes. And the designs were great. Both the characters(Vita <3) and the weapons. StrikerS was more inspired, but the structure was not as good. Too much characters, too much stuff, not enough development... Currently, Force is nice, but I'm not very interested in the new characters. I'm best excited when the Riot force sorties and Nanoha brings out the STRIKE CANNON. And do what the White Devil is best at doing: Firing at full power. I won't say anything on INNOCENT, I mean, we all know best card game anime is Yu-Gi-Oh 8D (It's a joke, but I do love the Yu-Gi-Oh first story. Card games getting dark? Hell yeah. Not your average shonen, it was brutal, especially in the manga. And Pegasus best)

Anyway. You probably figured it out now, but my favs are, by order, Fate, Vita, Nanoha, Signum and Vivio. Well, Vivid(the manga, didn't watch the show yet) isn't bad too, and I love "barehand" fighters so Vivio's style rather pleases me. But it's something I'd read for relaxing a bit, the plot ain't all that captivating. Anyway, there's a lot of cool characters but a bit tough to remember them all since StrikerS (I'll be honest, I've forgotten everyone aside from Scaglietti because Pray insert song, and the main characters like Caro, Subaru, Teana... Even the Numbers, all I remember is Quattro)

And thanks Oto. Didn't know, I'll watch it (though my English isn't so good and I'm not sure I'll understand everything haha)

@Shadow Heartbreaker The original manga of Yugioh is my favorite of the franchise because it wasn't just about card games. Though as far as what Yugioh has become, Arc-V is pretty fun.

Anyways, from what I've seen 

A's > First Movie > Strikers S = Original > A's Movie

That said, the A's movie is worth watching to mock all of the plot holes that opened up from all of the TSAB censorship and the fight scenes are still cool. 

16 minutes ago, encrypted12345 said:

@Shadow Heartbreaker The original manga of Yugioh is my favorite of the franchise because it wasn't just about card games. Though as far as what Yugioh has become, Arc-V is pretty fun.

That said, the A's movie is worth watching to mock all of the plot holes that opened up from all of the TSAB censorship and the fight scenes are still cool. 

A's Movie was very disappointing. :(

36 minutes ago, Hoshizora said:

A's Movie was very disappointing. :(

My expectations were honestly low in the first place because A's was a pretty dense season, and some important things were bound to be lost in the transition to a movie. The first season had a lot of fluff that could be easily cut out, which is why the movie was as good as it was. 

I would have hope for Reflection, since it's not based on previous material, but there hasn't been any news since forever. 

So, since it's made by the same studio, how's Dog Days?

well I don't expect anime movies based on season anime to be good as it's just a CRAMPED movie based on anime seasons. the anime industry did this MANY times, yet Japanese people liked it which I don't understand why?

Edited by Otoshigami

Yeah, I'm still hopeful for movie 3 - hey, Kizumonogatari finally came out, there's always hope! :D
LOL, I didn't think Dog Days was anything stand out, though the art quality wasn't bad.

@Shadow Heartbreaker Ha, maybe I should start a GuP thread too! I'm looking forward to the next movie - also, if you haven't seen them, the short OVAs are pretty funny

I like having movies based on season anime for rewatching - I love a lot of shows, but 2 hours is a lot easier of a refresh than 6++, as nice as it would be to have a 'special edition' with improved art & some plot issues trimmed. Series seem to be going more for that these days, where the Blu-Ray releases fix a lot of issues, so maybe if we get a non-ViVid series, they can do that and leave the movies for new, more cohesive material

Favorites, I'll probably say Nanoha, Fate, Vita, Signum and I'll probably even add Chrono to the end. I feel a little connection cosplaying him, plus playing the by-the-book straight man to all the reckless natural talent characters amuses me on a I'm-probably-reading-way-too-much-in-to-this level :D

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎7‎:‎38‎:‎07‎, Aetherdeus said:

Yeah, I'm still hopeful for movie 3 - hey, Kizumonogatari finally came out, there's always hope! :D
LOL, I didn't think Dog Days was anything stand out, though the art quality wasn't bad.

@Shadow Heartbreaker Ha, maybe I should start a GuP thread too! I'm looking forward to the next movie - also, if you haven't seen them, the short OVAs are pretty funny

I like having movies based on season anime for rewatching - I love a lot of shows, but 2 hours is a lot easier of a refresh than 6++, as nice as it would be to have a 'special edition' with improved art & some plot issues trimmed. Series seem to be going more for that these days, where the Blu-Ray releases fix a lot of issues, so maybe if we get a non-ViVid series, they can do that and leave the movies for new, more cohesive material

Favorites, I'll probably say Nanoha, Fate, Vita, Signum and I'll probably even add Chrono to the end. I feel a little connection cosplaying him, plus playing the by-the-book straight man to all the reckless natural talent characters amuses me on a I'm-probably-reading-way-too-much-in-to-this level :D

it's kinda like GRAPHICS over full-rich story rather than the other way around in video games in mediocre way. in that case I prefer the full story over art improvement because that's where fully flesh character development and plot elements came in.

Edited by Otoshigami

On 11/11/2015 07:55:16, encrypted12345 said:

Yup. Even the anime still kept a serious tone, while not as dark (shadow realm, yeah...). But the manga was very good and interesting despite being a card game, with all the background about it.

Haven't watched A's movie, but yeah, A's was kinda dense so to fit a season inside a movie... Well, at least it should be good enough to make people like the series despite that, if they don't have the motivation to watch the season? (a friend of mine saw the A's movie and loved it and got into Nanoha, but she wasn't motivated to watch A's in the beginning)

Dog days is... Kinda fun! Something between Nanoha and Zero no Tsukaima in terms of atmosphere, I'd say. (Zero no tsukaima's heroic fantasy green world and stuff with that light feeling of not too dark anime; that's what I mean). Overpowered characters that don't kill each other because it's sports, fighting war in mock battles. And it's well animated, the fight scenes are good, and the cast is good. If you want to enjoy a light-hearted but still action-based magical show it's rather good! I watched it to relax during meals and all. Don't expect too much though. It's a good relaxing show but as said, it doesn't stand out. And a bit too sweet to my taste (I like sweet stuff that the characters relationships and acts are really naive)(but well, they're mostly animals sooo)

On 11/11/2015 16:38:07, Aetherdeus said:

A GuP thread huh? If there's other fans among here why not! :D Maan, that was one nice moment to rewatch it. That Operation Teasy-Tease is priceless. The way they fought the Maus too. That's what I like about GuP, to see stupid, fun tactics that wouldn't be used in real life, but no one cares because it's fun and it's meant to be. They surprise us. (although I'm amused easily. The simple dialog "Get off you light-Tank!" -"Don't wanna." "It's not a light tank, it's a medium one" with the tone the girls used amused me a bit). I did see the OVA too, and yeah, they're rather nice (but lacked a bit of fun tank action).

I kinda agree too, rewatching a serie with a movie is interesting. It's less time-consuming when you need to get into it again before a new movie/season, and also see the changes and upgrades. For those who lack time or motivation it can be a good start. As far as I'm concerned for examples, since I have a lot of show I want to watch and don't have time, sometimes I sacrificed a bit by watching a movie trilogy rather than the whole seasons, like for the Gundam original series. 49 episodes take a lot of time, we can get most of the plot with the movie trilogy to understand the links and references of other works(I said most, since well it is trimmed. But you get the essential).

Sorry to dig this up, I'm answering late, I've been quite busy recently haha

Edited by Shadow Heartbreaker

Its ok, I've been out of it for a bit too. @Shadow Heartbreaker -thread posted :D
It definitely dips in to Initial D levels of 'theoretically possible, but mostly absurd' driving - but its a nice combination of details, humor & cuteness that works nicely.

As for the movies, yeah, definitely more flash than plot, but nice summary. I would have loved to see A's HD remake with some of the Movie's graphics and plot-hole-filling, but without the huge plot sacrifices - although, after the SEED 'special edition' edits, I'm somewhat hesitant to completely trust such a thing. I'm hoping movie #3 will be a fuller story since its not tied down to trying to summarize a whole series in one film :p

I'm glad to see that StrikerS gets some love. Of course I also think that StrikerS deserves a remake, movie, to improve it.

The good part of Nanoha is that it evolved and matured, from a young girl in the First season to a young woman in StrikerS.