Randomacts

Favicon / SSL

19 posts in this topic

Would it be possible to get a favicon added? Perhaps we can post some fan made ones in this thread.

Also this website does not have SSL.  Please add SSL to the website. If for some reason you guys do not want to spend any money on SSL (it is fairly cheap) https://letsencrypt.org/ has started to do free SSL certs. 

1 person likes this

Here are some I quickly made.

I think the most appropriate one would be the Extra logo as it's the most iconic, but who I am to judge.

favicon.png

favicon2.png

favicon3.png

2 people like this

Probably go with something photoshopped with a text style imitating the Muvluv logo but just saying "Luv" so the button in the corner of posts says "Luv this"?  I'd do it right now but I really should go to bed. I'll make it late tomorrow if I've got time.

Edited by HYuy

14 hours ago, Slump said:

favicon3.png

Honestly I think the extra one is the only one that will work out of the ones you made.. but even that I'm not entirely sure it will scale down well... actually pretty sure it won't.

Edit: And this thread should prob be moved to http://community.muvluv.moe/index.php?/forum/13-site-feedback/ 

Edit 2: Hah reporting the thread quickly got who ever is modding this thread to move it, thanks. 

Edited by Randomacts

14 hours ago, Slump said:

favicon3.png

I'm moving this topic to the newly created Site Feedback forum.

I really like this one! I will go ahead and add it shortly, assuming it scales down well.

As far as SSL goes, it's something we can look into but it's not currently a huge priority/possible right now due to some server configurations. If enough people think this is important, I will gladly investigate getting it done. I do know that the forum software we use has been problematic with SSL in the past, but this may not be the case anymore.

Cheers!

23 minutes ago, Nathanial B. said:

As far as SSL goes, it's something we can look into but it's not currently a huge priority/possible right now due to some server configurations. If enough people think this is important, I will gladly investigate getting it done. I do know that the forum software we use has been problematic with SSL in the past, but this may not be the case anymore.

Cheers!

Hmm looking at it (I don't have much experience with IP.Board but it seems like it is actually pretty simple (at least compared to when I got SSL certs setup on my personal dedicated server I have been renting for the past half year). I mean it isn't as 'built in' as other options but it does seem to be possible.

1. Change the URL in conf_global.php
2. Go to Admin CP --> Look & Feel --> Template Tools - click "Recache Skin Sets"
3. Change the "Upload URL" under Admin CP --> System --> System Settings --> General Configuration

Should work unless it has changed since 2012 a lot hah. (totally possible and for the love of god don't test this on the live website make sure you are testing on a test version of this website unless you want to break stuff)

I actually am kind of sad really.. on surface the forum software seems great and modern ect but if it makes it hard to add SSL support that really is just odd.. considering free options exist like discourse. *shrug* it is a bit late to switch now.. switching forums on communities will make them freak out most of the time unless you make it seamless =P 

(I'm just going to go ahead and hope that the forums didn't go down because you tried to test what I suggested on the live servers.. lol...)

Edited by Randomacts

10 minutes ago, Randomacts said:

Hmm looking at it (I don't have much experience with IP.Board but it seems like it is actually pretty simple (at least compared to when I got SSL certs setup on my personal dedicated server I have been renting for the past half year). I mean it isn't as 'built in' as other options but it does seem to be possible.

1. Change the URL in conf_global.php
2. Go to Admin CP --> Look & Feel --> Template Tools - click "Recache Skin Sets"
3. Change the "Upload URL" under Admin CP --> System --> System Settings --> General Configuration

Should work unless it has changed since 2012 a lot hah. (totally possible and for the love of god don't test this on the live website make sure you are testing on a test version of this website unless you want to break stuff)

I actually am kind of sad really.. on surface the forum software seems great and modern ect but if it makes it hard to add SSL support that really is just odd.. considering free options exist like discourse. *shrug* it is a bit late to switch now.. switching forums on communities will make them freak out most of the time unless you make it seamless =P 

(I'm just going to go ahead and hope that the forums didn't go down because you tried to test what I suggested on the live servers.. lol...)

Yeah, that's the instructions for a very old version of it. And even then, from what I read, it can cause issues with other things depending on how you want things set up.

I'm happy to do it in the future if it looks like it isn't problematic anymore, but it's not a huge priority as there's a bunch of other things I have going on with server related things right now. I'll definitely look into it some more, especially since with the newest version of the software things are more friendly, but I don't have a definite ETA.

And no, the server going down yesterday was due to a datacenter outage :)

Just now, Nathanial B. said:

Yeah, that's the instructions for a very old version of it. And even then, from what I read, it can cause issues with other things depending on how you want things set up.

I'll definitely look into it some more, especially since with the newest version of the software things are more friendly, but I don't have a definite ETA.

Roger.

On a side note poking around your website I noticed you are running cpannel installed by your host (the way it is configured is not a way I've seen people do it when they install it on their own servers) so you wouldn't have been able to install  Discourse easily anyways. For Discourse you need to install docker and set it up as that is what Discourse uses to run. Going by the fact you are using cpannel that is most likely more then your team has experience with.

The good news though is if the only things I can find issue with this setup are these two things you guys have a very solid forums setup. I have only seen one other minor bug on the forums so far with the notifications but it is minor and I would assume something that is just an IP.Board issue that we could see be fixed in future updates by them.

6 minutes ago, Randomacts said:

Going by the fact you are using cpannel that is most likely more then your team has experience with.

No, it's just a matter of convenience, really. I do much more than just server work for the company, and when we upgraded hardware I decided it was time to move away from headless so I can put more time to other projects ;)

As for the way it's installed... it's just installed regularly per the cPanel recommendations ;)
It could probably use some tweaks, which is part of what I am going to be doing within the next few days (in addition to other things like load balancing).

I will get back to you on all of this when I'm done with my current workload (lots going on in the background) and let you know when I'm working on it :)

11 minutes ago, Nathanial B. said:

No, it's just a matter of convenience, really. 

I will get back to you on all of this when I'm done with my current workload (lots going on in the background) and let you know when I'm working on it :)

Fair enough, cpannel is so much better then it used to be. 

I'll let you get back to your work and I'll go to sleep. (I really need to start going to bed at normal hours and not ~6AM) 

Edit: Found your host (no I'm not going to post it as that would make it easier for people to do naughty things if they wanted to just DDoS the whole company basically) they seem pretty solid and they accept Bitcoin as payment so that is cool to see as well.

Edited by Randomacts

25 minutes ago, Randomacts said:

Fair enough, cpannel is so much better then it used to be. 

I'll let you get back to your work and I'll go to sleep. (I really need to start going to bed at normal hours and not ~6AM) 

Edit: Found your host (no I'm not going to post it as that would make it easier for people to do naughty things if they wanted to just DDoS the whole company basically) they seem pretty solid and they accept Bitcoin as payment so that is cool to see as well.

Yup, they're a pretty cool company. It's easy information to find in the first place and they've been pretty solid (other than the Atlanta downtime yesterday) so no worries. They're probably the best company we've used (we've bounced between a few) so far.

Just to let you know it is not just Randomacts, I too would like SSL as well. If it had just been some random forum I would probably have just walked away instead of registering as I expect at least the login/register areas to be served on a secure connection.

I tried making just the heart portion of the logo, as I don't see how the normal logo could be done in that size:
muvluv.png.09f8dcf873e1fea2929f998e1e340

Yeah, +1 on the SSL support, it's a welcomed addition for security ^^

1 hour ago, Spiller said:

[..] as I expect at least the login/register areas to be served on a secure connection.

This. Yay for encryption ! :)

20 hours ago, Slump said:

favicon3.png

The Muv-Luv Extra logo is pretty detailed, so I suspect it won't scale well to favicon size (16x16 or 32x32 pixels). If it was re-drawn with the small resolution in mind it's possible that it would work. 

1 hour ago, Spiller said:

I tried making just the heart portion of the logo, as I don't see how the normal logo could be done in that size:
muvluv.png.09f8dcf873e1fea2929f998e1e340

I like this idea. It avoids the complexity of the full logo, with the drawback of perhaps being somewhat generic.

1 person likes this

I obviously did some testing on scaling before proposing them. Even if it was just a quick edit of the logo, to me it scales pretty well and is easily recognizable for anyone who actually played/saw Muv Luv before.

This said, I like the heart one too, even if it can be more generic it's always recognizable enough as part of the logo.

@Slump - Yeah, I did a scaling test as well and I agree that it's recognizable. Just a bit muddled, which is hard to avoid when scaling down a logo designed for a larger size.

Yeah, I don't think making a vector out of this would help much because of the intricate details. The heart is nice and simple yet unique ^_^

3 hours ago, Spiller said:

Just to let you know it is not just Randomacts, I too would like SSL as well. If it had just been some random forum I would probably have just walked away instead of registering as I expect at least the login/register areas to be served on a secure connection.

Yeah, I'll happily look into it at a later date. I don't see too many community forums serving over SSL generally, and especially very little with this software. Had I known it was such an important thing to members of the community, I would have ideally had it setup beforehand :D

Searching into it, there's been lots of cases of random things breaking when using SSL with IP.Board, but then again, with this new version of the software... hopefully that won't be an issue.

I'm not saying no to it, it's just something I need to look into/get around to/experiment with. :)

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, Nathanial B. said:

Yeah, I'll happily look into it at a later date. I don't see too many community forums serving over SSL generally, and especially very little with this software. Had I known it was such an important thing to members of the community, I would have ideally had it setup beforehand :D

Searching into it, there's been lots of cases of random things breaking when using SSL with IP.Board, but then again, with this new version of the software... hopefully that won't be an issue.

I'm not saying no to it, it's just something I need to look into/get around to/experiment with. :)

One quick and dirty option that works is to use cloudflare.

https://www.cloudflare.com/ssl/ 

Now their higher end options are not cheap but I think the free option would actually do what you need. (Most high end users use cloudflare for DDoS protection) 

I would suggest going with Full SSL (strict) and for the love of god don't go with Flexible SSL as the flexible SSL will leave the data from cloudlfare --> your server open to attacks.

Edited by Randomacts