scottyseng

How did you first get into Muv-Luv?

135 posts in this topic

On 01/11/2015 19:04:30, Ian said:

I don't have any experience with Muv Luv. I only backed it because everyone says it's good.

Guy, for your own sake, stay away of this forum and every muv-luv related thing and discussion. Please.

For me, just a recommendation from a friend.

2 people like this

Just now, Ciel said:

Guy, for your own sake, stay away of this forum and every muv-luv related thing and discussion. Please.

For me, just a recommendation from a friend.

Seconding this. I had no idea what I was getting into and I got hit by massive plot twists I didn't see coming and had a lot of fun theorizing over the course of many hours and that would have been spoiled just on the project page for the kickstarter (among a few actually spoilery things that are pretty subtle). This is something where the less you know going in, the better. 

1 person likes this

I was relatively lucky when I got into Muv-Luv, I was pestered into it by a friend, but I went in knowing almost nothing about it.  I think I knew about the Mecha Twist of Unlimited? and maybe that BETA existed, but that was it.  I kinda wish I had written down my experiences as I was first playing Extra, compared to Unlimited and Alternative.  I recorded my Unlimited/Alternative thoughts as I played through those for the first time, but for Extra I just read and then messaged my friend whatever popped into my head.  Reactions to scenes/dumb jokes (like how Sumika was Enemy #1 to me and how I would never do her route, because she gave my french fries to a dog).  I must agree with the sentiment that I wish I could erase every memory I've ever made of Muv-Luv, so I could have the joy of getting to experience it all for the first time again.

Clearly I should go wander into traffic and hope I get amnesia 

1 person likes this

Oddly my first experience was with Muv-Luv Alternative. ( I picked it oddly at random ) Do not regret that choice one bit. Loved it and had to go try the others as well. Soon as I found out about the kickstarter I knew I had to help out.

As far as the first "mecha".. Well.. anime wise I would have to say the old Robotech anime got me into it. ( Though it was the English version ) Was the first anime I think I ever watched too... Though I could be wrong about that as around that time I was watching a LOT of different anime.. Fairly sure it was my first though. ( was 5 or 6 I think? I was very young. Keep in mind I was raised on anime and horror movies/books. So.. Not the normal childhood compared to most others lol. )

I did not get into VNs till much later. On that note my first vn was an.. unexpected one. ( No idea why I tried it. Ended up really liking it though. Semi afraid to mention its name though lol. ) However it lead me to other vns and of course got hooked on them.

Edited by Undying Zombie

A friend of mine for months was like "dude, you gotta read this thing, it's fucking awesome!"
After another friend read it and told me too that it was so good, I decided to start.

Fun fact: the kickstarter was announced 48 hours after I started Extra. Pretty cool.

Oddly my first experience was with Muv-Luv Alternative. ( I picked it oddly at random ) Do not regret that choice one bit. Loved it and had to go try the others as well. Soon as I found out about the kickstarter I knew I had to help out.

Dude, trust me: Alternative on its own is still fucking awesome, but without Extra and Unlimited you really lost a fundamental part of the experience, I REALLY suggest to do a reread in the right way, sooner or later,

Edited by ~Freedom

I got into the Muv-Luv series because I was trying to find footage of a Starship Troopers OVA Anime that was made in the 80s.

In a forum that talked about it they mentioned Muv-Luv as a "Starship Troopers like Video Game done in Anime Style that has Mechs and Parallel Universes." so I knew that it would be something I would like a lot and be right up my alley.

Actually, I started with the KimiNozo anime, which pulled me in to visual novels in general and Age especially. Muv Luv was just inevitable from that point - although, liking mecha & alternate history didn't hurt, either ;D

I 1st get into Muv Luv because of the the opening song, Asu e no Houkou by Jam Project. At 1st, i were like okay, it's a dating sims game (I didnt know Muv Luv Alternative is a visual novel at that time) with cool song and mecha...... I try to date Marimo-sensei for date in game,then the chomp part happen....,,,

Edited by kurono Kiel

1 minute ago, kurono Kiel said:

I 1st get into Muv Luv because of the the opening song, Asu e no Houkou by Jam Project. At 1st, i were like okay, it's a dating sims game (I didnt know Muv Luv Alternative is a visual novel at that time) with cool song and mecha......then I try to date Marimo-sensei for date in game,then the chomp part happen....

Somebody set up us the CHOMP!

13 minutes ago, PulakK said:

We get signal!

"All your waifu are belong to us!"

1 person likes this

I read a magazine, before Muv-Luv came out in Japan, that had pictures of some screen captures of the characters wearing their pilot suits.  I liked the style and made a note of the game, which I managed to find a fan translation for years later which I jumped on.  Being able to play this as a legitimate release, and a physical copy at that, is beyond what I ever thought when I first saw those magazine images...

I had finished up some other VN which one I don't remember.  So I decided to start going down through the vndb list.  I'd always liked the character designs in muvluv also.

On 11/2/2015, 11:10:26, Randomacts said:

Hah I got into it basically the same way.

Although I assume you had gotten into anime before you played muv luv? (I actually didn't get into anime until awhile after)

Actually I hadn't really been into anime (much to the anoyance of my friends) before I started playing visual novels

19 hours ago, Anix said:

Seconding this. I had no idea what I was getting into and I got hit by massive plot twists I didn't see coming and had a lot of fun theorizing over the course of many hours and that would have been spoiled just on the project page for the kickstarter (among a few actually spoilery things that are pretty subtle). This is something where the less you know going in, the better. 

I already read the project page before backing. I don't want to spend the next year avoiding this place, but I will stay away from topics that discuss the visual novel itself.

46 minutes ago, Ian said:

I already read the project page before backing. I don't want to spend the next year avoiding this place, but I will stay away from topics that discuss the visual novel itself.

I still advice you to avoid everything about Muv-Luv. Really. It's a blasphemy to have Alternative spoiled to someone.

Edited by Ciel

6 hours ago, PulakK said:

KOUKI~~~~!!!!!!

tumblr_miocuvsKd81ra3f3yo6_r2_500.gif

I....actually only got Muv-Luv like a couple of months ago. Had been ignoring it for a few years cos didn't look like my kind of thing (lol) but in the end it being ranked #1 on VNDB made me try it.

It's kinda great cos I wanted the side stories and stuff really badly after finishing it and then this happened <3

My story is a chronicle of its own that required several very-specific events to happen in just such a way. So bear with me, as it really doesn't seem to matter at the beginning.

I was an anime fan for years, starting at the beginning of the millennium. Around 2008, I decided to quit the obsession and refocus elsewhere.

In 2013, I hit a rough patch during University and decided that I'd get back into anime again. I started an anime marathon on Kotaku's small community site to catch up on everything I'd missed over time. I watched a lot of anime during that time, including the second season of Valvrave the Liberator. I'd started watching Valvrave early in the marathon and I really enjoyed its insane campiness.

Anyway, I decided to watch Code Geass (keep in mind that Valvrave and Code Geass were written by the same guy), and sometime around December 2013, I watch Code Geass' particularly cringe-worthy (in a good, painful-to-watch way) episode ~22-23. I decided to watch Valvrave's episode immediately after that for a healthy dose of over-the-top camp. I quickly learned that this particular episode of Valvrave was the thematic equivalent of what I just tried to walk away from.

I finished the episode and was in a rough mental state, so I did the sensible thing and went into a chatroom I knew pretty well and asked openly for something else to watch. Some guy that I don't know immediately said, "You should watch Total Eclipse". And thus, I did. It was nice, but it seemed poorly balanced.

Just a few weeks later, this guy named Rockmandash showed up on TAY and started doing visual novel reviews, a medium I'd only dabbled in a bit. Due to the timing of his arrival, I decided that I should branch out more and get interested in VNs to engage more with his posts. As a result, I picked Muv-Luv to be my first foray into VNs properly.

So, by all this logic, Valvrave is what caused me to trigger the Muv-Luv takeover of TAY and AniTAY.

I was suuuper bored like 7 months ago, and I decided I might try out a few visual novels. Downloaded like 4 or 5 and chose to start on Muv Luv because it seemed like the most highly recommended and rated one almost anywhere I looked. Used almost all my free time I had for the next 2 weeks to finish the game... What a glorious time it was! Sadly, after that I couldn't really get into any of the others I downloaded and they sit unfinished to this day...

A friend of mine played Extra years ago and I was kind of "ehh ok" and then he showed me the mechs and the suits and explained some about the universe and that was the start of my Muv-luv interest! I belive it was more then 6years ago now that I think of it 😅

Also the anime Alternative Total Eclipse helped me abit to renew my interest.

I was given one word from a friend.

Chomp.

So I read it to figure out what. Also at that point I had read most of the VNDBs other top picks.

I'm another one new to Muv Luv. I know of it only by reputation. I'm a fan of other VNs like Fate Stay Night, Katawa Shoujo, Steins Gate and Saya no Uta so I supported the Muv Luv kickstarter to show support in the hopes that more VNs will be translated and released in the west. I know that Alternative is held in very high regard so I'm looking forward to downloading the series next year and reading it.

I was pretty big on Gundam and Armored Core at the time, and had an habit of browsing /m/. Got attracted by some footage from Forefront on the catalog, and someone explained what's Muv-Luv in that thread. The concept immediately picked my curiosity, and I always loved the idea behind Visual Novels, so I did some research. Found a french blog talking about it more in depth, and I was definitely hooked. I thoroughly enjoyed the story from start to finish so I feel I was pretty lucky.

I got into Muv Luv through the Unlimited Manga. It was up online somewhere years ago and I read through it all in one night. Then I got to the VN's and started with Extra then onward to Unlimited then Alternative. Manga made me cry, and even knowing what was going to happen I ended up crying again at the end of the Unlimited VN.

Well for me i really big fan of mech. While scroll down the list of manga under mech category suddenly found Muv Luv Unlimited Manga. After reading a few chapter i start to hook up before trying to find the information about the manga and accidentally stumble upon the VN of Muv Luv Extra/ unlimited/ Alternative. No.1 vn in my list. Cant wait to play again.