scottyseng

How did you first get into Muv-Luv?

135 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Ian said:

I don't have any experience with Muv Luv. I only backed it because everyone says it's good.

We envy you in a way.

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, Ian said:

I don't have any experience with Muv Luv. I only backed it because everyone says it's good.

We're raising the next generation of Muv Luv fans

(〃⌒▽⌒〃)ゝ

1 person likes this

@Ian I believe this activity update fits you well!

b347d7fe34.png

Hmm. I actually have no idea how I got into Muv-Luv. Not the mecha, for sure (*prepares self to get burned*). Mecha is something I kind of dislike, but I can deal with it when there's good plot (both kind).

1 person likes this

Last year, I asked the VN readers at the local anime club if they knew a good VN with mecha action in it. One of them suggested Muv-Luv. I'd seen the name before but was skeptical about it. Installed both games that night. Ended up binging both games in just under 10 days.

I was changed by it all. I've since been working on collecting as much merchandise as I possibly can. It ain't easy importing stuff.

48 minutes ago, Ian said:

You're in for emotional torture :ph34r:

1 person likes this

For me it brings me way back. Back in 2003 ( Mid 2003 I think ) I heard about a fairly new VN, from the already gods that brought us Kiminozo, hitting the Japanese public with an unexpected twist in the story. I was part of a little VN community at this time, and of course all we wanted was getting our hands on it. Unfortunately, at this time, fan translation teams were totally non-existent, and we had to rely on some members who spoke Japanese to make approximate translations of the main routes, not even in the game itself of course, as the engine was still far from being enforced, but in documents to open up as you play. Unfortunately for us, more or less one year later, our main translators did not finish Unlimited by lack of time and were quitting the community for personal life reasons, and we never got to finish Muv Luv 2003. As I couldn't get into Japanese myself at the time, I had to resign to let the game aside for a moment. Then went Alternative in 2006, that got me even more hyped and even more angry I could not do it. Surely I wondered if I could not just use a dictionary, but the idea would have taken me ages to do just a few hours. But more than one year after, the glorious age of the fansub teams was already here, and I got good hope that people would translate it soon enough.

It has not been quite the case, at least not for Muv Luv, which got entirely translated in 2010 if I recall correctly ( For Extra/Unlimited ). So I finally did all the routes I couldn't do back at the time, with a more than correct translation, and I got my hands on the translation of Alternative less than one year after. That was probably the best weeks of my life, and after a ride which took a lot of pleasure in crushing my mind and playing with my emotions, Muv Luv officially became the best entertainment thing I ever experienced, and still is ( And still will be for a long time I think, if not for life ). After that I just waited for the side stories to get translated ( And am always waiting for some of them ). The Muv Luv train never stops.

So I was basically waiting for an official translation/release of the main series for 12 years, and I think it's hard to understand how happy I was when I heard the news of a KS. Unfortunately, I could not go for the Fort Class Sponsor at this moment for everyday life reasons, otherwise I would have gladly sent all my savings into it. Damn, if I had been warned one year in advance I would have literally thrown all my year's salary into it.

I've heard it mentioned on /m/ years ago, though I didn't know what it or VNs were. A few years later when I gained an interest in the medium, the name popped up again so I took a look at it. Extra was the third VN I've ever read and I finished the whole trilogy within a five day span putting all of my other entertainment aside. I've been a fan ever since.

Hmmm, I don't remember exactly. I think it was through hearing about the TSFs and JAM's opening to Alt. I tried installing the VNs once or twice, but just couldn't get them to work.

I lucked out when i found a guy on Youtube that was doing video recordings of playing through every route of Extra, and all of Unlimited and Alt. Think I spent a week non-stop watching all of them, even forgoing sleep to keep going. Sadly I found out his entire account had been deleted when I went back to rewatch them a few months ago :(

Really looking forward to just being able to install the VNs and play them that way! :)

My friend said "Dude you have to read this VN. It so amazing" and I was like "What's it about?" and he said "I can't tell you, I don't wanna spoil anything"

Over a hundred hours later and I was like "That was amazing ;_;" Wasn't too fond of the art at first but I grew to love it pretty fast.

1 person likes this

I.... had a rather strange introduction to Muvluv. I watched the Kiminozo anime when it was getting fansubbed way back when, and then watched the Akane Maniax OVA while looking for more. Gouda ended up being my spirit animal for a while (I could totally relate to having your entire thought process converted into mech battles), but it wasn't until while randomly looking at Kiminozo images online when I stumbled upon Mitsuki and Haruka wearing the Valkyries uniforms that I started to realize there was this whole other series called Muvluv.

I didn't end up playing it until the fan translation came out in 2010, but after I blew through it in a week I was hooked. Needless to say I was ecstatic when I was going to Anime Expo 2012 hearing how Yoshimune Kouki was going to be there and premiering a Muvluv anime, even if it was for a sidestory. His autograph line with Ayami and Minami Kuribayashi was only 30 people long or so, and it was pretty cool being probably one of a dozen people in that line that English was their first language iykwim.

iirc I think it was the first JAM Project song they did for Alternative that made me aware for the series that lead me to checking out the games as they were fan translated

First got into while I was browsing VNDB and saw that it was the highest rated visual novel (Alternative) and decided to read the first two as it would be weird to jump to the last of a trilogy before reading the earlier material.  After finishing Unlimited I was about to play Alternative but heard a kickstarter was about to start so decided I'd wait for it and now here we are.

4 hours ago, Reizei said:

My friend said "Dude you have to read this VN. It so amazing" and I was like "What's it about?" and he said "I can't tell you, I don't wanna spoil anything"

Over a hundred hours later and I was like "That was amazing ;_;" Wasn't too fond of the art at first but I grew to love it pretty fast.

The comment about the art work was similar for me as well. I wasn't sure how to process it at first but after completing the trilogy, I was unable to really enjoy the art work in other VNs I would read. Couldn't get past characters all having the boxy V faces as opposed to the 'softer' art of M-L. Seeing the art improve through out the series was a total blast as well.

History time!

I hadn't read or even known what a VN was at the time. I played the Phoenix Wright games and thought they were pretty great, so thats the closest thing to a VN I had encountered.

It was a around 5 years ago I think. I was browsing Gamefaqs and I noticed a game called Katawa Shoujo was on the top of their lists as most popular game for some reason. I think this was around when it was released and if I remember correctly, 4chan was trolling the system to get the game to appear there. Well it worked, and I checked it out the Gamefaqs forum. Found out it was free, downloaded it, and 100%ed it. After I did I found there were lots more of these kinda games to read. :D

After that I googled for some suggestions, and some random post (I've long forgotten what forum) recommended quite a few. Started with Shuffle!, and that was pretty good. Then I read Cross Channel. It was alright... the translation was super literal so it wasn't very pleasant for me to read. From there I played Kira Kira and loved that one! Dat ending. ;_; Then hit Fate/Stay Night (woohoo!), and finally Muv Luv.

I think I marathoned Muv Luv for like 5 or 6 hours a day until I 100%ed it. Wow did it have me hooked. Been recommending it to my friends ever since.

I found out about it after I started getting into playing VN's. First I played Katawa Shoujo, then after that played Fate/Stay Night. Then at some point found out about the Muv Luv series. Did some research about the game learned that it had mechs in it made me decided, "Ok I may like this vn why not." And after that I played thru Muv Luv with all of the free time that I had. Played Alternative for a bit for some reason or another decided to stop plating or forgot about it. 

Tbh I was suggested it after finishing Katawa Shoujo which was what got me into visual novels.

1 person likes this

First saw the Revoltech figures and the TSFIA short stories in the Hobby Japan magazines and thought "Wow, these look cool. I'll check it out." But eventually just forgot about it. Then, got reminded about this amazing franchise when the TE anime came out. Then I became straight-out obsessed with it along with Gundam and Macross. Now, it's part of my holy mecha trinity. Managed to play the fan translations of the Muv-Luv trilogy. Haven't regretted it since.

1 hour ago, Tits_Mcgruff said:

Tbh I was suggested it after finishing Katawa Shoujo which was what got me into visual novels.

Hah I got into it basically the same way.

Although I assume you had gotten into anime before you played muv luv? (I actually didn't get into anime until awhile after)

"What's a visual novel"
"This looks good to start with"

*Leaves with PTSD*

1 person likes this

My first exposure was most certainly via hearing Asu e no Houkou.  As a mecha fan in general with a growing interest in SRW I couldn't have avoided them.  I don't recall seeing anything about Muv-Luv at the time and didn't link one of their better songs to it's source material. some years later I was running a mecha RP (still am, albeit slowly)  and stumbled across the volks A3 website (http://www.volks.co.jp/jp/a3/index.html/) I adored the TSF designs instantly and quickly connected them to Muv-Luv soon after.  This was during the gray period when the patch for Extra/Unlimited was out but Amateratsu was trying to make that and Alternative official so it wasn't being distributed.  

Once that changed soon after I dove right in (having read FS/N and some of the old Tsukihime I knew about VNs already)  Extra didn't impress me though I got some laughs and enjoyed several characters, particularly the lead females.  Then Unlimited happened and I tore through it right into Alternative which blew me away, having the depth of world building I so respected from games like Xenogears, and some great drama.  The rest is history.

On 10/31/2015, 10:20:31, WS Eule said:

Got into VNs through F/sn.

Saw that MLA was ranked #1 on VNDB.

Eventually decided to give it a try even though the 1ft part was supposed to be average.

Turned out to be one of the better decisions in my life.

It was F/SN and Utawarerumono for me.

Browsed through VNDB years ago, saw Alternative. Read about it, Played it, loved it.

I had no clue about Muv Luv until about a few years back. I remember lurking on 4chan and I kept seeing threads about VN called Muv Luv. Based on the name my first initial thought was, what kind of clichéd eroge VN is this? I dediced to take a look at one of the threads on day and I same a mechanical with an interesting design. 

I was initially confused because all the cg's I saw before were slice of life related. So because of that I dove in knowing only a few things like characters possibly dying (not how though) and expecting mecha to show up. Extra had only Valgern-On, and was a bit disappointed. But I did fall for the characters and remember dreading them dying in Ulnimited which didn't happen. I was also filled with exciment when Takeru found the mecha and I was just as gunho about it. 

Then Alternative happened and I cried like a baby and now have a minor form of PTSD every time I hear that specific siren go off...

Edited by Racco726

I found it on VNDB originally, and started with Extra.  I thought it just was going to be a school life VN, so I SLOWLY worked through Extra.  After I finished Extra and I hit Unlimited, there was no stopping me.

This series has made me spend a couple thousand dollars on merch,  Thanks eBay for finding me the Comiket exclusives.  

I originally saw the Total Eclipse anime and really fell in love with it. I lurked a lot on /m/ threads and the wiki, and really fell in love with the Muv-luv community as well. I waited to play the VNs because I was really hoping for a western release, so I have been on Cloud 9 this past month! I am so excited to play through them the first time over the school break after I get them.