scottyseng

How did you first get into Muv-Luv?

135 posts in this topic

Well, I got into it under two influence:

1- my urge to find something with mind-blowing or epic plot (madoka magica gave me a great impact so I was wanting for more)
2- total eclipse anime. My 1st entry to the franchise.

After watching TE, I left that it wasn't quite enough so I look more into the franchise until I stumble upon the original trilogy.

Back in 2011 after completing my first visual novel that was disappointing i noticed a picture of Sumika that reminded me of Evangelion couple weeks later i noticed the translation patch was recently released and gave it a go, the rest is history and years later Muv-Luv remains my favorite series even after powering through anime and manga to find something that would leave a strong impact on me. My list wouldn't be nearly as huge if it wasn't for Muv-Luv.

This asshole above me kept pestering me to read it after i met him on some anime site when he was talking about the total eclipse anime. After months of thought and complete and utter boredom i decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and now here i am 350 bucks poorer. It was my first Visual Novel.  No, regret.

20 minutes ago, RaptorSushi said:

This asshole above me kept pestering me to read it after i met him on some anime site when he was talking about the total eclipse anime. After months of thought and complete and utter boredom i decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and now here i am 350 bucks poorer. It was my first Visual Novel.  No, regret.

You read the Muv-Luv wikia first. You were asking for it. :D

I discovered the TSFs, was amazed by certain design elements (Mount pylons, external jump jets, etc).

Then I managed to trace them back to Muv-Luv, so I went for the fan translation patch, which I failed HARD at installing for over two years until this summer.

And once I was past all the HARDSHIPS, still feeling how awesome the ride was, I discovered the Kickstarted.

I guess I saw Akane make an appearance in Extra and it got me curious. It really started from there.

I read guides and whatever else I could find, stumbled upon manga, etc..

Being a fan of mechs, I instantly liked TSFs when I saw them. I haven't watched the Total Eclipse anime though, haha.. ha ^_^

Thanks to OreImo believe it or not.

The sister is always playing eroge so I decided to google some english-translated ones, stumbled upon fuwanovel (before they removed the torrents). Sorted them out by EGS Score and downloaded every thing that was on there. Happened to play Muv Luv after a year of said download.......best worst mistake ever.

Well, it start with fate/stay night. After watching the anime and really like it, my mate told me that the VN was 10 times better, so I try them, and was blown away. After that I was hooked with VN. And after that I search for next VN to play, I noticed Muv luv in some random forum. Found a way to get it via fuwanovel. This time I was  TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY. has been fan since. 

1 person likes this

First started ta get into it around 08/09 when I stumbled across some volumes of the manga in an asian market. Didn't know what it was but it looked interesting so I dove into google and with some effort managed to glean some information that got me even more interested. Of course it was still going to be a few years before the trilogy was translated and I could really enjoy it but c'est la vie.

Got into VNs when back when I was looking for romance/drama stories 6 or so years ago. ef would've been my first VN I think... Read it after I watched the anime. I saw KimiNozo around this time and realised it was based on the VN but there was no English version and still isn't :/. I glanced at Muv Luv through Wikipedia as I was looking up age and I though it was just what it looked like: Extra.

I eventually got into mecha thanks to Code Geass and sometime later, not long after the patch was released, I somehow ended up on the Muv Luv Wikipedia page again. Noticed one of the genre tags there was mecha, looked it up on vndb, saw that it was the highest rated and decided to try it.

For a few years now my ringtone has been Ase e no Hokou instrumental and my alarm is the game start theme... Never forget. o7

I got into VN's after deciding to watch some Ace Attorney playthroughs to see what the fuss was about. A decision I'm glad I made because they are awesome, and I spent a good chunk of my time in University and out on them.

Afterwards, my knowledge of the medium continued to grow, as I continued to scour the internet (mostly Wikipedia) for more info about VNs and which ones I could play. I've downloaded a few good free VNs like Katawa Shoujo (I've seen people look down on it, and I've heard people say it's one of the best VNs they've played. I'm with the latter group.) and True Remembrance (I highly recommend it, especially if you're new to VNs). I'm also interested in School Days, though I didn't get because I found it too expensive.So I just watched a few routes on YouTube, read the wiki, and looked into its dev team 0verflow's very rich and messed-up continuity.

I found out about Muv-Luv after discovering Total Eclipse on Crunchyroll's listings, though it was premium-exclusive. Nevertheless, I found the first episode on YouTube (sorry!) and got hooked, but didn't watch any further. Instead, by attention shifted to the original VN trilogy behind Total Eclipse, and I eagerly searched for any playthroughs on YouTube, though it doesn't look like anyone's posted a full one in English.

Nevertheless, there were plenty of places on the internet talking about Muv-Luv, including Kotaku and TVTropes. I must say, some of the praise I've heard for Alternative is rather extreme, and I seriously think that the series will disappoint me if I go in expecting the greatest story ever told. But nevertheless, what I have seen of the VNs (and what plot details TVTropes spoiled for me) paint a very promising picture. I've long been on the fence about downloading it, largely thanks to its large file size and installation issues. But with this Kickstarter, my worries are over. Though I can't support it with my money at the moment, I fully intend to buy the shit out of this series once its official international edition is finally out.

6 hours ago, Curdi said:

10/10, would erase my memories of this series, leave myself a message to play it all, and experience all that again.

1M secret stretch goal: Memory Eraser!!

God, I wish.

I read about it on /m/, got hooked by the Opening (thanks, JAM Project).
Muv-Luv was my first VN.

2 people like this

I was always a fan of Starship Troopers.

Watching TE, being disappointed how it ended, wanted to know more.

Getting in the VNs, never came out.

Edited by Movr

1 hour ago, IlSignorDiablo said:

I read about it on /m/, got hooked by the Opening (thanks, JAM Project).
Muv-Luv was my first VN.

I concur.

The openings were TOTALLY AWESOME. they remain some of my most listened songs in my iphone.  

1 person likes this

I originally watched the Kimi ga nozomu eien anime and the Ayu-mayu Theater OVA, and I remember something like an ad about Muv-Luv. As I liked mechas, I tried checking it out, but if I remember well, it wasn't translated yet or something. And I wasn't into visual novels too, so I waited for an anime. When the TE anime came out I was too busy to check it out (and some friends told me to not check it out, or at least not after the 2 first episodes or something). And then I forgot, until I saw the incoming Kickstarter and I remembered the good times(good depressing times) I had with KimiNozo, and my friends telling me that Muv-Luv was awesome and all, and I decided to back it and discover it with. I was really hoping for a Vita goal, as I don't like to read on my PC(having to get in front of it every time instead of relaxing like when you read a book, and the fact that my eyes get more tired with it than with portable consoles), being able to read bit by bit everywhere, like in my bed at night makes me more comfortable(I started Steins;Gate only after the Vita port too). 

So I plan on reading Muv-Luv with the Vita and cry in my bed after Alternative. 

Saw Muv Luv on /r/visualnovel recommended VN's list

"Robots against aliens and it is dark...meh why not"

Boy was I not expecting that ride

2 people like this

Through figures/total eclipse artwork, shamefully it remained on my backlog for a few years.

No other story made me shiver like this one.

Wanted to get into VNs for some time and played the Katawa Shoujo beta alpha back in...2009/2010ish. After the final release came out for KS, I whipped through it and a month later I decided I wanted to try out more VNs. Every source I went to (vndb,/vg/,/jp/,r/visualnovels) basically said to try out Muv-Luv and "power through extra." Enjoyed Extra a ton and was excited to play through Unlimited and Alternative. As GreatP3nguin said, not a ride I was expecting. I figured the Mecha that was described in all the tags was just the PS2/Arcade game Takeru would play, haha. 

It has been a downward spiral ever since.

I found the TE anime on crunchyroll at the end of 2013 after I finished high school. Ended up spending hours on the wiki finding out stuff.

Downloaded the VNs and bought a bunch of the koto kits.

I played some of the other things that Amaterasu translations did and I generally had the same taste as them. When they released the patch for Alternative, I remembered seeing it as the #1 on vndb, so I started the trilogy not knowing a thing about it. I thought it was a typical school romance and took my time on Extra, playing all the routes. Then Unlimited came around, and it got way better. When you go in not going a thing about it, it's a completely different experience, and there's a lot of room for theorizing. For a long time in Unlimited, I was convinced that 

Spoiler

The BETA didn't exist and they were just using it as a reason to have everyone constantly at war. You never see any BETA in Unlimited, and all they do in training is fight hand-to-hand and with guns, and against other TSFs. It really seems like they're preparing to fight against people, and that's actually happens in Alternative until about halfway through.

I still think that the best way to play the series is with as little knowledge as possible. 

My last years were difficult in both social and personal manners, and i found relief on reading, but mostly writing and drawing. One of the things that i read where VNs like Fate/Stay Night.

It was one day when one of my best friends, someone who showed me the Fate franchise (and mostly like the Nasuverse), my first VN ever, introduced me in a chat group.

Those guys... They were just awesome. I founded new friends and a new milestone in my life.

So, one of those guys, the ''head'' of the ''Muv Luv Bros'' wanted me to read Muv Luv... And then I did it. The absolute madman.

Now this is my favourite novel, and one of the most beautiful things that i've ever seen. I basically rank them really close to things like Blade Runner or Deus Ex in  importance. The drawings... The soundtrack.. The storytelling... The characters, design, action, story, histocal and geopolitical background... Everything, everything was just outstanding for me, as a fan of sci-fi settings.

Now we're sharing interests, following the Kickstarter and... Goddammit, that's just awesome. It's difficult to explain how important is something like that. It will not only bring one of the best VN ever here, but it'll also show that the west is heavly interested on the japanese pop culture products.

Edited by SuperKa

24 minutes ago, Anix said:

Reveal hidden contents

The BETA didn't exist and they were just using it as a reason to have everyone constantly at war. You never see any BETA in Unlimited, and all they do in training is fight hand-to-hand and with guns, and against other TSFs. It really seems like they're preparing to fight against people, and that's actually happens in Alternative until about halfway through.

Actually thought the same for a while in Unlimited. Towards the end it becomes clearer though

On how I found MuvLuv, well, fairly ordinarily. Just saw very cool mechs and a lot of extremely high ratings. At the beginning, I even thought maybe Alternative had some gameplay, given some screenshots. While my misunderstanding ended very soon, I still valued that they went to such extremes in trying to represent the fights instead of simply writing them.

Not much to say besides that. While it had flaws, I found it very earnest. It was also very ambitious but it had the drive to try new things and it didn't pull its punches. Overall a great VN.

2 minutes ago, Marx-93 said:

At the beginning, I even thought maybe Alternative had some gameplay, given some screenshots. While my misunderstanding ended very soon, I still valued that they went to such extremes in trying to represent the fights instead of simply writing them.

Yeah, it's probably got the highest production value out of any visual novel that I've ever played.

I don't have any experience with Muv Luv. I only backed it because everyone says it's good.

4 people like this