scottyseng

How did you first get into Muv-Luv?

135 posts in this topic

I'm curious, how did you first get into Muv-Luv? Right when it first came out?

I'll be honest and say I didn't get into anime until my senior year of high school. During that time, I watched Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. Several years later, I saw that Muv Luv Total Eclipse was airing in the current season so I watched that as well (I still had no idea what Muv Luv was at the time). Finally I dabbled into the Muv Luv manga scanlation for Muv Luv Unlimited (Yeah, I had no idea there was a prequel). The scanlation stopped so I kind of forgot about Muv Luv. However, I kept running into comments saying Muv Luv the trilogy was amazing. It piqued my interest because I had no idea it was a VN trilogy (If you were to ask me what Muv Luv was, I would've said it was a single VN called Muv Luv Unlimited. haha). I'm hyped now that I can read the whole trilogy and get the full complete story from start to end now though.

my friend wouldn't quit pestering me about it, so i finally gave in and downloaded it late July of this year.
i actually had finished it about 2 weeks before i heard of the kickstarter.

hands down the best thing I've ever experienced.

10/10 cant wait to read it again once the official games come out

I got into Muv Luv thanks to the TE anime.

I got interested and went to the VN, but made a really bad mistake starting reading MLA before reading ML Extra and Unlimited. Still, I don't regreat doing it that way, because otherwise, I wouldn't have read all the trilogy.

To be totally honest, I first came upon Muv-Luv while browsing mech designs that were based off real-life jets. The first one I ever stumbled upon was the Su-47, (Which HAS to be one of my favorites, I mean, Its one of my favorite RL jets as well) and upon checking out where it was from, I found the trilogy. Loved it ever since. Or should I say LUVed it ever since.....

Accidentaly saw Muv-Luv during skimming through erogedownload

>near-naked girls in red suit

>long haired

>mecha

and the rest is as everyone knows

Let's see, it's been 4 years since I first started Muv-Luv, wow time really does fly.  I got into it because the Alternative patch was recentish I guess? and a friend of mine kept pestering me over AIM to read it.  Eventually I caved in and did so, though getting Unlimited to start was a nightmare as it always crashed right at the start (but never during Extra) it took me a week to figure out the problem and how to solve it.  

I'm not quite sure I understand the question. I've always been in the Muv-Luv world. The details of my conception are rather personal.

6 people like this

1 minute ago, MRD_orangiseng said:

Accidentaly saw Muv-Luv during skimming through erogedownload

>near-naked girls in red suit

>long haired

>mecha

and the rest is as everyone knows

Yeah, I found out there that Muv-Luv was a VN trilogy by seeing it on erogedownload as well. I did download it, but never actually got around to playing it (I think it's still on my old hard drive somewhere...). Looking forward to playing it for real once it's released though.

Wasting time in the net, I found one of those pictures "/vg/ guide to visual novels", and 'cause Tama is cute I tried it.

The girls were cute so I keep playing.
Unlocked Unlimited, look interesting, keep playing.
Not enought BETA, look for alternative.

Went for cute girl, got Mechas and tears.

Got into VNs through F/sn.

Saw that MLA was ranked #1 on VNDB.

Eventually decided to give it a try even though the 1ft part was supposed to be average.

Turned out to be one of the better decisions in my life.

1 person likes this

Would you believe when saw the KS on twitter? Surprised i never saw it before, I do like my visual novels.

Edited by Nexus

Well if we're also including how we got into VN's, I think my first was the Tsukihime VN something like...10 or 12 years ago? it was that or one of the DS Visual Novels like Phoenix Wright or Hotel Dusk, but Tsukihime feels right.  

Through a roleplaying game (pure narrative-style) on a forum.

I keep a blog  called The Geek Clinic that mainly deals with VN and anime reviews, so it was inevitable that I had to write something up for the #1 rated story on VNDB. Extra was fun, Unlimited made me sit up and take notice but Alternative...well, Alternative is something else entirely and now sits highest on my list of recommended VNs.

I'm pretty much new to Muv-Luv and haven't read it unfortunately. Found out about it when I was browsing through VNDB for some VNs to read and saw that it was ranked #1. Had some interest in learning about it and read the wiki for some backstory. I found the story intriguing and was immediately hooked. Was planning on buying an import eventually and using a fan translation but luckily it was picked up for an official English release. And here I am eager to read it once it's released. :D 

Crazy Uncle Shiny's gonna calm down and be less crazy this time, so everyone gather round.

Roughly three or four years ago, when I was still in high school, I remember getting really, really interested in Fate/Stay Night. I wound up watching the anime and, awful as I can see it is now, I liked it alot because back then, I was young, less critical, and under-exposed to even halfway decent romantic writing that didn't leave the romance open-ended. Eventually, I learned there was a game, and that, unlike most situation, this game was the basis of the anime, not the other way around. So, I pestered a lady friend who was very used to installing J-games (By way of Touhou) to help me figure this out. Soon enough, I'm reading F/SN and BLOWN AWAY. Still need to finish Heaven's Feel, since my old laptop died on me and I lack the patience to reread SN and UBW routes...

So, hungry for more, I wound up seeing this other VN with GAMEPLAY (Holy shit) advertised by Mirror Moon. So, soon enough, I'm playing Eien no Aselia. And I'm totally falling in love with VNs in general. And then, on the third day... Biblical jokes aside... I was also in an old RP group called Steelhearts around '06 (Near the time Alternaive released in Japan, as I recall) and the theme of SH was... Mecha (Which I've loved for a long time), Space, and long odds against a superior enemy. Sound familiar? (Turns out the organizer was Asian and by my reckoning had read ML in its native language)

So, Fastforward back to the present (Er... Past). I see the number one VN on VNDB is Muv Luv Alternative. See it's a sequel. Look into both a little bit. Similar to FaceEater, I went in for one thing, but holy shit did I get tears. And a pretty bad addiction. Never, ever walk home from school on zero sleep and remember that you have a 991 to deal with. It makes your mind get weird.

Anyways, that's the story of how ML became the third VN I've read, and how very few after held a candle to it since.

1 person likes this

I found out about the Muv-Luv trilogy almost two years ago when I stumbled onto some videos of the english fan translation on Youtube. It looked interesting, so I looked to see if anybody had done a playthrough of the novels. I had fun reading Extra, Unlimited surprised me in a good way, and Alternative absolutely blew my mind, which is why I highly recommend this trilogy to any visual novel fans that I encounter who are looking for something good to read.

Now this was before I had watched any anime.. katawa shoujo, a 4chan (mostly) made VN was getting popular and lots of people played it as their first VN. My brother played it (also as his first VN) and then bugged me to play it. 

I played most of the routes in katawa shoujo and then we found a playing guide that someone posted in one of the katawa shoujo places.. 

latest?cb=20100811022131

And we picked Muv Luv. 

My brother and I both went into Muv Luv without knowing anything and it was glorious. We would have discussions about what we thought was going to happen ect. 

After we both finished Muv Luv Extra/unlimitd/Alt we then played Steins;Gate (great VN btw) and then I played a route of Clannad. 

it wasn't until some time after that.. that either of us watched our first Anime hah (not counting Studio Ghibli movies) and we watched Cowboy Bebop together.

I had been lurking on the visual novel discussion threads on a certain place on the 'net, and Alternative has been highly-regarded there as one of the "holy trinity" of mecha visual novels (the other two being Baldr Sky and Muramasa), so as a fan of VNs, science fiction and mech stories I got interested. That was around the time that interest in an English translation of the ML trilogy surged massively, around six or seven years ago. I started participating in the ML-centered discussion threads, may have gotten spoiled on a GIF or two, and bore witness to some notable points in the fandom (like the first attempt at bringing the trilogy over to the West, the patch leak, etc).

Same as everyone here, the ML trilogy has made its mark on me, and I cannot listen again to some soundracks, or rewatch some segments without tearing up, saluting or both.

Edited by The Green String

I heard it was about cute girls in mechs on a forum, and after reading it  I  fell in love.

Edited by Akibared

1 person likes this

Similar to the others, saw fsn anime , read through fsn vn, though "damm vns get us deeper than animes ever could", saw fsn ranked 8 at vndb.org curious who took the top spot, read through extra touched, unlimited teary eyed and alternative completely blown away !!!  Always felt bad i missed its original release with all the hype, Godbless the kick starter for bringing one of my dreams to life :)

34 minutes ago, WS Eule said:

Got into VNs through F/sn.

Saw that MLA was ranked #1 on VNDB.

Eventually decided to give it a try even though the 1ft part was supposed to be average.

Turned out to be one of the better decisions in my life.

I pretty much did this six or so years ago. I don't remember what got me into VNs though; it was probably FSN.

I saw it on VNDB, thought to myself, "I don't wanna read something depressing", and passed.

A number of months later I decided I should read it anyways and spent two weeks completely engrossed with the thing - then I spent another month just thinking about it all.

Despite my expectations, it was probably a defining moment in my life.

A friend of mine recommended Muv-Luv to me when i complained about how bored i was ( injuried both my knee and had to stay home for 2 weeks). It became a very memorable 4 day reading spree. 

1 person likes this

I think it was in early 2012, when the MLA English patch had been out for about half a year. There were constant discussion on the series on 4chan so I decided to give it a go. I played through Extra VERY slowly, and only did the required routes to unlock Unlimited. Unlimited caught my interest more than Extra did, for obvious reasons, so I read it, again pretty slowly, picking up the pace towards the end. When I got to Alternative, it was already 2013 I think, and it took me another couple of months to get into the juicy bits of Alternative, and after that it was CHOO CHOO NO BRAKES till the end in a few days.

After that I cried myself to sleep for a week and felt all sorts of sad.

10/10, would erase my memories of this series, leave myself a message to play it all, and experience all that again.

Like most people I checked the top VN's via vndb, found muvluv, downloaded and played,

extra took me 4 weeks to finish ( fuck you lacrosse), unlimited hooked me and alternative blew my mind