invalidname

Anime Convention Panels

13 posts in this topic

This topic is for planning, announcing, and discussing Muv-Luv related panels at anime conventions. This can be a place to share advice on how to pitch a panel and get it accepted, how to run it, how to get people to attend, etc. It can also be a way to get people connected to do a panel together. Or just to say "hey, there's a Muv-Luv panel at my local con, who else is going?"

Anyone who went to Anime Expo know how many people showed up to the Muv Luv panel? Thinking of setting up a meet for Fanime 2016 if there's enough interest.

Edited by Discalibur

20 minutes ago, Discalibur said:

Anyone who went to Anime Expo know how many people showed up to the Muv Luv panel?

I've been going since '06 and i didn't even know they had one.

24 minutes ago, Discalibur said:

The one this year with Yoshimune.

My memory's a bit hazy but i don't think they had a panel, just a well-manned both on the side of the exhibition hall. The only mentions of Muv-Luv that i can remember in a panel setting this year was Sekai Project mentioning the KS during their panel. 

On a different note, I would love to help out in any way possible if anyone's planning to do a Muv-Luv panel for AX next year.

I attended AnimeNext and New York Comic Con this year while wearing the TSF Pilot Jacket to promote the Kickstarter but there wasn't any direct Panels for Muv-Luv.

I did go to a ton of the Mecha Anime and Video Game Panels however and told people about the series at those. Everytime I noticed someone playing Vita at the convention I told them about the Vita strechgoal so I hope that I got more people to donate.

I am hoping for Muv-Luv Panels next year once the games are actually released so get on that people! :D

4 hours ago, Discalibur said:

Anyone who went to Anime Expo know how many people showed up to the Muv Luv panel? Thinking of setting up a meet for Fanime 2016 if there's enough interest.

It was originally advertised as a panel on their FB page, so I investigated while I was there. Turns out it was actually a press screening event of some kind that regular attendees couldn't attend (thus why I was confused when the FB page announced it as being in one of the press rooms). They did have a little part/mention for Muvluv at the Sekai Project panel, but it was rather brief and mostly stuff we already knew - "hey we're starting a kickstarter, come check out our booth in the exhibition hall, etc."

You better believe I was hunting through Anime Expo's events this year for anything Muvluv related like a shark after it smells blood in the water... outside of the booth and the mention at the Sekai Project panel though, there really wasn't much. Sadly I had to leave early Sunday morning so I didn't get to see the stuff they had at the charity auction. Does anyone know if they had anything super awesome at it this year?

(Also, even though I went to AX, I'm not even remotely local to CA so I probably won't be attending Fanime)

Edited by HYuy

So, this year I did info-dump panels about the history of Muv-Luv (and Rumbling Hearts, and everything that connects the two), because I had gotten into the franchise and it was fascinating (and somewhat difficult) to turn up information on the âge-verse, and it seemed like the perfect thing to share in that kind of panel. My first try was at Anime Central in May, and then I did a much tighter and better version at Anime Weekend Atlanta (September) and Youmacon (October), the latter two of which occurred during the Muv-Luv kickstarter.

Thing is, I sort of feel like I've said my piece on the topic, so I really don't need to do a slightly-updated "History of âge"-type panel. Anyone who wants to see that can check out the videos I recorded afterwards (just watch the AWA one, it's better).

So what I think makes more sense for 2016 is a genuine panel, with multiple people, talking about where we are now with the franchise. By Anime Central time (likely the next con I'll be at), Schwarzesmarken will have aired, the Kickstarter rewards will have shipped, and Extra/Unlimited should be imminent (though I don't think anyone really expects them to keep the schedule). Plus, there'll be more news from Alternative Projects about their ongoing efforts (TDA, Kiminozo, etc.). There's definitely enough going on — and, in the wake of the Kickstarter, enough people in the audience who care — that a "what's new" discussion should be totally doable and interesting. Also, a lot less work to prepare.

I'll probably pitch this for Anime Central. There was someone on anitwitter who wanted to do it with me, and for the life of me I can't remember who. It would of course be great if @Krystal came up to ACen and joined us (since she was an ACen Gundam panel regular in her pre-Law-School years), but last year exams caused a conflict, and it's a long haul up from Texas, so who knows. I don't think I'm going to travel far (AX, Otakon, etc) next year — going to AWA was kind of a flip decision made in the excitement over the kickstarter and wanting to get the word out. Very much a one-time thing. I'm probably limited to ACen (Chicago), JAFAX (Grand Rapids), and Youmacon (Detroit). Because, you know, wife & kids…

1 person likes this

Hm, I guess I should check in too, since I've insisted a few times that I'll get around to making a panel, honest :P - At the very least, Anime Matsuri near me tends to have at least one visual novel panel, although they're still accepting panel applications and could probably use an âge panel, or at least a somewhat broad one. Schwarzesmarken will have started by then, though it'll still be early for backers to start getting their games. Despite Rumbling Hearts & Total Eclipse being recorded here in Texas, people seem to be pretty unfamiliar with the universe here, so it could probably use a full history, though its pretty daunting.
..I'd love to make it to ACen, but only if there's a hotel that isn't wiped out in 2 minutes 0.o

3 people like this

yeah I'm not surprised that @muv-luv team will make a panel in ANIME EXPO 2016 for more HYPE including with the soon to be announcement of Total eclipse and Schwarzesmarken plus Giveaway goodies to attendees.  if they are planning there then I don't mind going over there to get myself an Autograph. :)

@The Muv-Luv Teamare you planning to have 1 in a half hour - 2 hour panel? hope you can squeeze in that kind of schedule. :)

Anime Central just opened their panel submissions for 2016. Like I said above, what I want to do this year is just an actual panel discussion, rather than a brain-dump with 250 slides. I think enough people will be curious about Muv-Luv from the Kickstarter that attendance will be better, and by that point Scharzesmarken will be airing (or be done if it's just one cour), and Extra/Unlimited will be imminent, at least if Degica keeps to their schedule. So I think it makes more sense to pitch something for the new fans, instead dumping lore and screenshots on the totally uninitiated.

Also, one thing I've learned: people at cons generally don't seek new stuff out. Lots of people want their opinions validated, and to be told how awesome the stuff they already like is. You go to the "Saddest Scenes in Anime" because you hope they show "Angel Beats" (or "Your Lie In April", or whatever, but dammit not freaking "One Piece", god).

In other words, preaching to the converted is totally OK, and the Kickstarter converted a lot of people.

First thing I'm thinking about right now is the title. ACen has made this easier for 2016 by limiting titles to 44 characters. Title length is important because stuff gets cut off in schedules if you're not careful. Here's what listings in con schedules look like (Acen, AWA, and Youmacon):

acen-converted.thumb.jpg.a136fe19cbeaa69

awa-converted.jpg.5c2154b8e0e1435e4e0777

youma-converted.jpg.3c3e65440804db327534

Last year, before the Kickstarter, I used "Rumbling Hearts" and "Total Eclipse" in my first title, because those were the only âge things legally available in America, and despite the panel being mostly about Muv-Luv, I thought it was too obscure to work into the title. Post-Kickstarter, I tried to make a pun around "Luv", but I don't know how well it worked.

For this year, post-biggest-VN-Kickstarter-ever, I think it makes more sense to really just put the Muv-Luv name out there, front and center. Here are some of the titles I'm thinking about… please reply with which ones you like, and which ones you think would draw people in:

• Muv-Luv: At Least 8 Minutes of Death
  • Muv-Luv: 8 Or More Minutes of Death
  • Muv-Luv: Make Your Death Count!
  • Muv-Luv ACen-ternative
  • Muv-Luv Maniax

Sorry, (bad) "Luv" puns are all I've got... Could also sub "Muv" in instead...

• Muv-Luv: Over 8 Minutes of Luv
  • Muv-Luv: Make Your Luv Count
  • Muv-Luv: Save in the Name of True Luv
  • Muv-Luv: Why the Luv?  (I'm liking this one the most...)

Out of the ones you suggested, I guess I'd lean towards Muv-Luv Maniax.

We will have to see what happens this year I suppose :)