Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David

What are your thoughts on the ending of Alternative?

Thoughts on ending of Alternative?   44 members have voted

1. 1. Ending of MLA

• Loved it
    • Liked it mostly, but I had some issues with it
    • Mixed feelings towards it/I'm too conflicted with emotions
    • Didn't like it, but there are parts that I liked
    • Hated it

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

68 posts in this topic

It's widely accepted that MLA is a heavy ride for most people (granted its anecdotal evidence on my end), but I want to see other people's thoughts on the ending specifically.

The only part I really didn't like was

Spoiler

Takeru's entire existence being erased from the BETA timeline to be honest. I understand it was unavoidable, but I just thought it kinda sucked since he's the only one not to be remembered by the surviving Valkyries.

Edited by David

It was unfortunate but the only logical outcome. There's a whole list of things that made me love that epilogue (putting in spoilers in case someone reads my activity stream, though it is bugged and shows spoilers anyway as of now):

Spoiler

The whole Extra repeat which lured me into thinking that it would be 1:1 reproduction at first.

Takeru crying. He doesn't know why but oh god YOU DO.

Kasumi being especially brought in by Yuuko. Then she cries when Sumika and Takeru talk to her as if she was a stranger ("Yashiro-san"). I was like amazed and really sad at the same time.

All the girls displaying their character evolution post-Izumi's last words: Miki being assertive and strong willed, Mikoto being attentive, Ayamine and Chizuru being more honest...

Haruko and Akane being magically friends. While both are athletes, I don't remember them being close in Extra. It's like their Alternative counterparts sipped in a little.

Yuuhi. In case nobody realized, I am a Yuuhi sucker. So seeing her being alive this time and making Extra!Meiya twice as funny was the cherry on the cake.

Finally, all the others Valkyries hidden in the crowd when the city CGs show up before the credits. Especially, I love Haruka and Mitsuki exiting the station together.

Then the original OP serving as a book end. It was like inviting me to read the trilogy one more time or at least to try Altered Fable (untranslated at the time, which made me start learning JP).

Edited by frogtaku

3 people like this

5 minutes ago, frogtaku said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The whole Extra repeat which lured me into thinking that it would be 1:1 reproduction at first.

Kasumi being especially brought in by Yuuko. Then she cries when Sumika and Takeru talk to her as if she was a stranger ("Yashiro-san"). I was like amazed and really sad at the same time.

All the girls displaying their character evolution post-Izumi's last words: Miki being assertive and strong willed, Mikoto being attentive, Ayamine and Chizuru being more honest...

Haruko and Akane being magically friends. While both are athletes, I don't remember them being close in Extra. It's like their Alternative counterparts sipped in a little.

Yuuhi. In case nobody realized, I am Yuuhi sucker. So seeing her being alive this time and making Extra!Meiya twice as funny was the cherry on the cake.

Finally, all the others Valkyries hidden in the crowd when the city CGs show up before the credits. Especially, I love Haruka and Mitsuki exiting the station together.

Then the original OP serving as a book end. It was like inviting me to read the trilogy one more time or at least to try Altered Fable (untranslated at the time, which made me start learning JP).

On Akane/Haruko

Spoiler

They trained together and fought together. They are also are the only ones still alive from their squad so its normal for them to become closer to each other I think.

15 minutes ago, frogtaku said:

It was unfortunate but the only logical outcome. There's a whole list of things that made me love that epilogue (putting in spoilers in case someone reads my activity stream, though it is bugged and shows spoilers anyway as of now):

Hide contents

Yuuhi. In guess nobody realized, I am Yuuhi sucker. So seeing her being alive this time and making Extra!Meiya twice as funny was the cherry on the cake.

FInally, all the others Valkyries hidden in the crowd when the city CGs show up before the credits. I love especially Haruka and Mitsuki exiting the station together.

Spoiler

That last part with Haruka and Mitsuki (uncut hair in 2001, even!) is such a heartwarming touch. In the new world 00-Sumika willed to be, the 1998 event which ultimately led to estrangement between the two never happened. And this bearing in mind that Mitsuki's true end, with all its attendant drama, heartbreak and rAGE, is canon to Extra and thus the trilogy save for Final Extra. It's like the redemption of the two; their heaven, after the purgatory that was KimiNozo.

Edited by The Green String

2 people like this

I just read in another thread that there are some hints in one of the side materials that Yuuko and Kasumi did NOT forget Takeru...but unfortunately I don't know any specifics.

I can understand when people say that the ending is a  it "lame", especially after all those action-packed episodes towerds the end of MLA. At first, I was slightly disappointed as well...not because it is bad by any means, but it just lacked a bit of the punch that so many other scenes in MLA had. However, the more I think about the ending, the more I like it, because it's probably the best possible outcome for pretty muich everyone and the only logical conclusion to Muv-Luv.

On 6.11.2015, 11:23:35, David said:

On Akane/Haruko

Hide contents

They trained together and fought together. They are also are the only ones still alive from their squad so its normal for them to become closer to each other I think.

Spoiler

Sorry to smash your dreams but Haruko is dead :(

Edited by WS Eule

4 minutes ago, WS Eule said:
  Hide contents

Sorry to smash your dreams but Haruko is dead :(

I think the question was

Spoiler

"I don't understand why Akane and Haruko (when she was still alive) are friends in Alternative given what we saw in Extra". Kind of hard to miss Harukos death in Alt :P

Edited by David

@David

Spoiler

Absolutely, this why seeing it translated to another world was such a great touch.

@The Green String

Yeah, this is exactly what went through my head :D

Spoiler

Admittedly, their relation is implied to get better over time at the end of the series, but not that fast! IIRC by Akane Maniax Haruka is still healing her scars and that's like really close to Extra.

Edited by frogtaku

13 minutes ago, frogtaku said:

@David

Reveal hidden contents

Absolutely, this why seeing it translated to another world was such a great touch.

@The Green String

Hide contents

Yeah, this is exactly what went through my head :D

Admittedly, their relation is implied to get better over time at the end of the series, but not that fast! IIRC by Akane Maniax Haruka is still healing her scars and that's like really close to Extra.

Spoiler

Going by the epilogue of Mitsuki's true end (which is a fastforward to when she and Takayuki have a child), they were still estranged. And then Mitsuki picks up a children's book by a certain "Haruka Murakami"no points for guessing who and upon realizing that the latter wants to see them again as friends, tears up.

I think I can! I think I can! I think I can!
Haru has found the true treasure.
She believes.
She believes with all her heart that the day will come
When once again everyone will be able to sleep peacefully together.

With this hope in her heart,
Today, once again, Haru the Ferret
Is climbing the great big hill with all the might
In her little body.
I think I can! I think I can! I think I can!

1 person likes this

28 minutes ago, frogtaku said:

@The Green String Wow it looks like it's better conveyed than in the anime. Can't wait to read it!

Same here, @frogtaku. Same here.

Spoiler

A translation of that final children's story can be read at KimiNozo Guy's blog, here.

1 person likes this

Huh, when saying the ending I though you mostly referred to the Original Hive inflitraton, not the Extra part (which I consider mostly an epilogue). I quite liked the epilogue, but found the ending itself, well, lacking? It just was basically extremely predictable and full Diabolus ex Machina placed there to try to milk an extra tear out of you. Sorry Kouki-san, the first time it worked, the second too, but on the third? After all that ride it didn't live up to my expectations that much. it was not bad, but I admit I expected a lot more (even from the action scenes).

23 minutes ago, WS Eule said:

I just read in another thread that there are some hints in one of the side materials that Yuuko and Kasumi did NOT forget Takeru...but unfortunately I don't know any spezifics.

Age's 15th aniversary PV more or less says it straight in your face that Yuuko and Kasumi remember, but it's true that besides that II think there's no more specifics

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, Marx-93 said:

Huh, when saying the ending I though you mostly referred to the Original Hive inflitraton, not the Extra part (which I consider mostly an epilogue). I quite liked the epilogue, but found the ending itself, well, lacking? It just was basically extremely predictable and full Diabolus ex Machina placed there to try to milk an extra tear out of you. Sorry Kouki-san, the first time it worked, the second too, but on the third? After all that ride it didn't live up to my expectations that much. it was not bad, but I admit I expected a lot more (even from the action scenes).

Age's 15th aniversary PV more or less says it straight in your face that Yuuko and Kasumi remember, but it's true that besides that II think there's no more specifics

Well, as far as Diabolus ex Machina stuff goes, I think Monokuma sums it up best.

"Failure can strike anywhere, anytime! That's what failure IS!"

Monokuma.png

18 minutes ago, Marx-93 said:

[...] full Diabolus ex Machina placed there to try to milk an extra tear out of you.

While I can see where the rest of your points come from, saying that it was some sort of an asspull is simply not true. 

Also am I the only one who was extremely happy while reading the epilogue of MLA? Never was I under the impression that they "tried to milk some tears out of me".

Well, it's kinda sad to see that Takeru missed a lot of his character developments that has been cultivated throughout the series, but the characters really do deserve that ending after all they went through.

Spoiler

Also, I had given some thought on Takeru's memory lost before, and I think it's happening in a good way.

Since Sumika developed such beyond-the-worlds ability with just her will and longing for Takeru, who knows what may happen if Takeru also brought back similar emotional attachment back to the original world. We all had seen how deep Takeru's ties with all the other characters in the other world(s).

With the pseudoscience of Causality Conductor (though Yuuko mentioned Takeru most probably not being one anymore), something more might happen if those memories remains.

So, I do agree this is the most logical way to end the whole journey.

As for why all the girls appearing, well, it's all the power of Luv~~~

Edited by Svenhent

21 minutes ago, Svenhent said:

As for why all the girls appearing, well, it's all the power of Luv~~~

Yuuko warned Takeru that it might become "a better world" after all :D

In the end, I think it's still pretty tragic. I mean, even if there is Final Extra and everything, it's just another timeline. So all the girls we see, even if happy and everything, are not the same ones of Alt, and Takeru does not remember anything. And most are still dead in the Alternative timeline, so...

I think that final extra was just a sweet addition to not end the whole trilogy on such a heavy note.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Marx-93 said:

I think it might be a log or audio record made by Yuuko after Alternative's ending. Since written records were used several times along the story to "remember" Takeru, maybe that's what she did after the ending. If they both remember.... Kouki-san, is this the smell of possible sequel? (Ya, I doubt it also)

30 minutes ago, Svenhent said:

Kouki-san, is this the smell of possible sequel? (Ya, I doubt it also)

This is out of topic, but according to people who follow âge's weekly streamings, he already shared some of his ideas for a MLA2 and TE was a buildup to it at first. He also said that he'd love to do it in that backer-exclusive interview. So it is far from being impossible.

3 minutes ago, frogtaku said:

This is out of topic, but according to people who follow âge's weekly streamings, he already shared some of his ideas for a MLA2 and TE was a buildup to it at first. He also said that he'd love to do it in that backer-exclusive interview. So it is far from being impossible.

I don't want them to carry forward the MLA story, at least not with the existing characters. Their work is done, let them be in peace!

I really liked the ending. I'm a fan of happy endings and thought Takeru earned it.